“Dominican Repubcic - No problem!!!” 5 of 5 bubbles

Grand Palladium Bavaro Suites Resort & Spa
Ranked #36 of 110 Hotels in Punta Cana
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Solihull, United Kingdom
“Dominican Repubcic - No problem!!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 February 2011

We stayed at this resort a few weeks ago and I have to say that it was a truly amazing place!

Beach: out of this world!!!!

Excursions: we went to Isla Saona and I definitely recommend that... I've never seen a place as beautiful as this... turquoise sea, white sand, giant seashells, coconuts...

Rooms: we stayed in villa 72. It was nice, but cannot compare to 5* hotels in Europe. However, you spend very little time in the room anyway, so it's important that it is nice and clean at least.

Staff: the people in Dominican Republic are the most friendly people I've ever met! They are all smiles and they dance while they work! We made really good friends with the PR Manager Marino and his gf Angela... they helped us arrange a romantic dinner, which was just perfect... My boyfriend proposed to me there, so this place will always have a special place in our hearts!

Food: everything was great, fresh, many choices to choose from

One negative experience: We got tricked into attending a Palladium Member Club presentation, which took 3 hours and we waisted half of our last day. It was our fault really, that we accepted the invitation (they said it would be 30min tops), but we didn't think it would be the typical time share crap.... :)

We plan to go back to this place, maybe for our wedding, since we saw that they organize really nice weddings!

Thank you Palladium for a great stay!

• Stayed January 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank marija_lfb

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (723)
  • Czech first
  • Slovak first
  • Turkish first
Sanford, Maine
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 February 2011

the best hotel ever. has a full buffet nice beds free pack of all pokemon card on every trip good has wi-fi has HD tv HBO showtime starz nice rugs buffet that food is alwhays there

• Stayed June 2010, travelled on business
Moncton, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 February 2011

Booked this trip at the last minute, and got an excellent deal.... Loved the room, the beaches, the weather was fabulous (1 rainy day), and the food was also great! The only thing I didn't really like, is that our room was far from the beach, so alot of walking. Also, when we got in our room, there were small fruit flies all over the place, sink, drawers.... ended up in my suitcase after the 1st day. Not sure if it's because we went during a month where it's closer to rain season and it attracts these, but all-in-all, we loved this place. Going to Dominican again this April, but staying in Puerta Plata, Gran Vantena!!! NOW THIS IS A GREAT PLACE!!!!

• Stayed May 2010, travelled as a couple
Ontario
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 February 2011

Stayed in the villa closest to the ocean and one of the pool area. Found the room to be outdated and had a poor view. This didn't matter to be as it was minutes away from the ocean! Elva a server at the pool bar by the ocean was great!
Food was great-everything labeled in a few different languages, clean, replenished constantly and lots of variety. Crepes were often in the main restaurant at dinner with many toppings-they were delicious! The omelets and the fresh fruit smoothies at breakfast were very good!
Landscaping on the hotel grounds was beautiful.
Gift shops on the beach---When you walk down on the beach you will come across an area with some gift shops. Immediately upon entering this area a swarm of sellers will come out and try and get you to come to their shop. We wanted to check them out so we went in 2 stores. They had many souvenirs that you can buy but most I found were dusty and not the nicest quality. I felt obligated to buy something so I did but later found out it was actually cheaper at the resorts own gift store!! Total rip off. The seller kept calling me his "sister" and that he would give me a good deal. After going in 2 stores we left real fast.
Grand Palladium is a great resort I found it to be very relaxing sitting by the pool side. I would recommend this resort!

• Stayed December 2010, travelled as a couple
London Ontario Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 February 2011

We travelled with 2 other couples and this is our ninth trip to carribean. even if I tried to find something to complain about (which I think some people do)I cant think of anything. We were in Villa 55,very close to the beach,large clean room with giant clean bathroom,balcony,Sony TV with about 80 channels,probably 15 English.AlaCartes were all fabulous especially the Brazilian and Japanese. Hemmingways is the bar to go to with premium drinks an great service. Go and enjoy!!!.

• Stayed February 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank francie87
waterdown
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 February 2011

We just returned from our trip and we travelled with our extended family of 11 people (5 kids ages 3 to 12 and 6 adults). I try and find the positives in life, I am not one to complain unless there is something really wrong and I live in a middle class neighbourhood with middle class people. The only reason I will list complaints from our trip is for you to determine whether or not these things would be things that would bother you or not. There will be absolutely no exaggeration in what I say.
We did so much research for a resort before we left that I am sure I could become a travel agent by now and perhaps the problem with this is we were expecting perfection in the end which is impossible. This resort is beautiful but we found you do have to take the good with the bad. I'll try not to repeat what others have said and give you info that you might find useful to know as well.
First when trying to find reviews about what would keep the kids happy I found it a little tricky to find specific things for them in reviews, so I will address that first for those that might be looking. As said we had kids ages 3-12 and without a doubt no matter what age your child is they will have things to do here and have fun. Our kids didn't play at the mini club but we did check it out and at the time there were kids painting t-shirts and getting their nails polished as well as some just running around on the equipment and having a good time. It was a great atmosphere for them and everyone seemed to be happy, happy. As well in the afternoons by the pools the animation team came around and did games and activities for adults and kids of all ages. The 8 and 9 year old took part in frisbee games, pool games, ball games, ping pong, volleyball and the list goes on (which were also available for adult games as well) while the 3 year old stood beside the aerobics instructor and lead the class with him and everyone thought it was a hoot. The kids won prizes and certificates and were made to feel very special. As well the 3 and 7 year old did crafts by the poolside. We didn't get a chance to check out the black and white club but I don't have any doubt that things are just as awesome for kids there too. As far as the shows be careful what you take your kids to. We saw the Circus show which was great and another night while intending to go to the magic show we ended up at the wrong theatre and saw the Mr Palladium show. Definitely not a kids show. Between the small bit of that they saw and the topless women on the beach (my son was at a count of about 18 by the end of the week), the kids were being well educated in anatomy. Anyways, tons for the kids!!!! I highly recommend it for this.
Now the rest......
The rooms: we had 3 junior suites with Imperial club between the bunch of us, two rooms on the top floor of a villa, one on the bottom. Without question, if you can handle a flight of stairs, go with the top!!! The top floor rooms have very nice high ceilings as well as cathedral ceilings which made it feel like there was a lot more space. The bottom floor was your standard 8 foot ceilings. The rooms were beautiful, clean and we had 2 double beds and used the pull out couch. The pull out had definitely seen better days but I have yet to sleep on a pull out that is comfortable. There's a place to put your room card in so the power goes on. Try and keep it there and your fridge should be cold. We read reviews where people were having a problem with the fridges but perhaps they didn't know this. The third group in our party got a lower level room and as soon as you walked in it had an awful odour. They didn't want to compain or bother to move. A couple days later I visited their room again and noticed they had a towel on the floor. When I asked why they said it was to collect the water dripping from the ceiling which they said was from the air conditioning. They still didn't want to bother to move or complain. It wasn't until our 4th day when they couldn't take it anymore as the smell got worse and they requested a new room, which they got without a problem.
The only annoying thing that happened with our room was we locked all of our things in our safe the first night ( including our cameras and wallets of course) and then the battery died on the safe and we couldn't get back in. It took 5 phone calls, 3 days and finally a trip to the front desk where my husband basically said he wasn't leaving the front desk without taking someone back with him to get the safe resolved b/c we needed to get to our money (we couldn't leave tips anywhere) and lost 3 days worth of pictures (being a photographer this was painful). Someone came back with him and all was well again. For those that may have minor issues like this, don't bother calling anyone, just go to the front desk first.
The buffets: breakfast closed at 10am and the lunch buffet didn't open until 12:30pm. If we wanted to eat between those hours we had to go to the sports bar which was less then ideal for breakfast in my opinion unless you want hot dogs, pizza, fries and basic greasy finger foods. When the restaurants were open, we were quite happy with the food and the selection is amazing. There was something there to fill all 11 of us older and younger, and keep everyone happy.
As for reservations at the a la carte restaurants, we were told you don't need to make reservations. This does not mean you can't make them and many still do. We tried booking the Japanese restaurant the day before we wanted to go and they said we had to book the same day we wanted to go and our concierge would be able to book it for us after 10am. We called at 10am sharp the next day and we were told everything is booked until 10pm. If we were calling the same minute we were told the lines would be open to take reservations, then how was everything booked already?? Something didn't seem right there. Anyways, we just went down to the restaurant when it opened and put our names in that way and got in much before 10pm.
The service is good depending on what you are wanting. I found the bartenders were great, the front desk people very friendly and the animation team amazing. As for the cleaning ladies and the servers at the restaurants (with exception to the Japenese restaurant) some were great but a lot were hard to crack a smile or an "hola" out of many of them. We left many tips and different little trinkets for our cleaning lady and didn't get any towel art so don't expect this here.
The off resort sales people who come on the resort.........there is no avoiding them the days they are there in the afternoons if you are by the pool. There were two days during our stay where people came and layed out all their goods to sell, and they littered the pool deck with it all. Everytime you moved from your chair someone was asking if you wanted to buy something and they were calling you their best friend. I didn't mind it the first day but by the second time they came (5 days later and many encounters from sales people elsewhere on the resort and the beach at this point) I had enough and was rather cranky about it. I don't know why the resort allows this right on the pool deck and found it a very large reason why I would not return.
The grounds are beautiful and clean, there is no doubt. There are people maintaining them everywhere you look. One day we saw a man climb a coconut tree and bring down coconuts for our kids. He opened them right there so they could drink out of them. They thought that was cool.
The beach is like powder and there is no need for water shoes here on the beach or in the water. If you take a walk towards the market on the beach (to the right of the resort when looking into the water) there are usually cool sand sculptures. We saw an elephant, sharks and a pyramid made out of sand.
The mini fridges are kept well stocked. You can also ask for smaller bottles of Dasani water at the lobby desk and they give you as many as you want so there is no shortage or concern for purified water. Just don't drink from the taps and you will be fine.
Bugs.....there were none. My mother-in-law was concerned about going to DR for fear of getting milaria but at this time of year there was no reason to be concerned. We didn't see one single mosquito even when it was damp after a short rain.
In all we did have a great vacation. This resort was very nice, clean and a great place to have a great time. The weather was picture perfect every single day. There may have been short lived rain showers but it brightened right back up again and that's all the rain we saw the whole week. Only b/c of the sales people on the resort I would not return to this resort again. I stayed at another resort in PC a few years back and had no trouble with this at all so these sales people are not on every resort.
Enjoy your trip and if something goes wrong just remember.......think of the positives......you're in beautiful, tropical Punta Cana!

• Stayed February 2011, travelled with family
8 Thank beachmama53
Plymouth, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 February 2011

I hadn't been to the Dominican Republic before.In fact we only chose this holiday by default as our trip to Luxor was cancelled due to troubles that Egypt was experiencing.

Nine hour flight from Birmingham to Punta Cana........Hmmmm, I wasn't looking forward to that! (I'm 6'3").
Actually the(Thomson) flight was really no problem thanks to comfortable seats with generous leg room.
Another bonus was that the flight was only half full so we could spread ourselves out for a nap in some of the spare seats(No such luck on the return journey).
On arrival at the resort first impressions were good.
A welcome drink was served during the very efficient check in procedure.then we were driven to our 'De Luxe' room by the bellboy in a golf cart.
The De Luxe room was really rather nice,it was a large room with a 'spa' bath in it(Sounds odd,but it works).
Separate WC and separate shower room.
The room was just a little tired but spotlessly clean.
Nice large King size bed....very comfortable.
I had to chase up reception a few times to have the mini bar re-stocked.
The maid did an excellent job cleaning the room and changing the sheets and towels daily(A small daily tip left for her probably helped).

Fantastic manicured gardens,beautiful shrubs and palm trees, Really quite large grounds and very beautiful.
Plenty of swimming pools and sunbathing areas,you could find a sun lounger quite easily all day.
Restaurants were rather good. we tended to eat in the buffet restaurants rather than the a la carte ones only because we were quite happy with the quality and choice that we found available there.
The beach was perhaps my favourite thing about the holiday.Beautiful white sand,aquamarine sea and palm trees fringing the shoreline....wonderful !!

I made a point of getting up at half past six in the morning to go for a run on the beach......it was really quite amazing watching the sun rising over the Eastern horizon !!

Lying on a lounger on the beach was lovely in the 30 + degree heat. You have to be a little careful because with the onshore breeze blowing it was quite easy to get sunburned.
All in all, a really lovely wintersun holiday in a lovely hotel/resort.
I intend to visit aqain next winter.
I would have no hesitation at all in recommending this hotel.
Ps. The weather was absolutely lovely in the beginning of February!

• Stayed February 2011, travelled as a couple
Grand Palladium Punta Cana Resort & Spa
VIK Hotel Cayena Beach
VIK Hotel Cayena Beach
#78 of 110 in Punta Cana

Been to Grand Palladium Bavaro Suites Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!