“Could be better...”

Ranked #75 of 111 Hotels in Punta Cana
Norwich, United Kingdom
“Could be better...”
Reviewed 7 June 2014

We booked our holiday with Thompson which offered cocotal suits only... The rooms were o.k but the cleaners didnt pay enough attention to please their guests. The only restaurant we enjoyed was Jade Oriental, which is worth visitig. In the Steak House, the food was very good but the service was poor, very long waiting time... Not many activities for young children, apart from the aquapark, whcih was great. Excellent animation team!!! A big thank you to Manuel :), Mario,Adriana Papparazzi and the rest. Very nice drinks and brilliant service in the bars. Thompson representative trying to make money on excursions which are cheaper to buy from the hotel. Very nice and friendly staff. Favourite restaurant buffet was Macao with excellent service. The food was nice with a wide range of dishes to choose from. We enjoyed our holiday very much but I doubt we'd go back to that hotel again due to the condition of the rooms and location of it.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank Jolanta G
Aquagames, Assistant Manager at Sirenis Punta Cana Resort Casino & Aquagames, responded to this review, 14 June 2014
Hi delfinek78,

First of all thank you for taking the time to write your review. I’m glad to hear you enjoyed the Jade restaurants, the buffet Macao, the excellent animation team, the drinks and service at the bars, and the wide variety of food. As per your other comments, they will help us improve the quality of the services we offer.

As per the rooms, we are constantly working on improving them. Just for your information, in October 2013 we renovated bathrooms of over 200 rooms on the Cocotal side, which is a nice update.

Please don’t hesitate to write me at assistantmngr.dr@sirenishotels.com if you want to discuss these issues in more details. If you come back to Punta Cana in the future and decide to choose our resort, I will personally insure you have the best vacation at our hotel.

Assistant Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,046)
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
Humacao, Puerto Rico
Reviewed 6 June 2014

The food was nasty, no restaurants were available (supposedly), the service was not the best and the rooms are old and smelled like mold, the animation crew are very lame and there wasn't any kind of transportation for the hotel area...Will never go back!!!!

• Stayed May 2014
7 Thank Nette73
Hi Nette73,

Thank you for taking the time to write your review. I’m sorry to hear the hotel didn’t meet your expectations during your trip. Your comments will definitely help us improve our services.

Winnipeg, Canada
Reviewed 5 June 2014

Had a great vacation, but would not go too this resort again. The grounds and lobby areas were lovely, and I would say the pool activities were top notch, probably the best we've seen across many different resorts in different countries! However, the rooms were very old, and, somewhat clean, the beds were horrible, there was mold in the tub, and the toilet did not work ( despite asking several times for it to be fixed). The beds were like sleeping on box springs, the walls were stained, the furnishings very old and beat up, upholstery stained, etc. We did notice this in other reviews prior to going, but thought perhaps there were only a few rooms like this. We travelled in a large group, who all stayed in different buildings, and, sadly, this was pretty consistent.

The A La Carte restaurants were not very good at all, stick to the buffets, which were actually had great variety and some really great food.
Overall, for a cheap vacation it was good, and again, the entertainment staff were excellent!

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank 1happytravelleryay
Hi 1happytravelleryay,

I’m very glad to see you enjoyed your stay with us and I’m happy to see you took the time to share your comments. I also really appreciate your feedback as it will help me improve the quality of our services as we are continuously working on it.

Regarding your issue with the food, as you know, it is very difficult to please everyone at the buffets but we are continuously looking for ways to improve the quality and the variety, in order to increase our customers’ satisfaction.

Please don’t hesitate to write me at assistantmngr.dr@sirenishotels.com if you decide to come back in the future and I’ll do my best to make your stay as pleasant as the first one.

Ottawa, Canada
Reviewed 4 June 2014

Overall this hotel was nice and we had no complaints. I went with a friend and we both went to relax and get away from work for a week.

My take on positives and opportunities for improvements are as follows:

Opportunity for improvements:
- The rooms could use a modernization upgrade although they were clean it would be nice to have a clock in room, softer beds, and maybe some minor upgrades to the look of the room. That being said the rooms were clean and the maid came everyday and cleaned beds and provided us with new towels.
- I personally wasn't crazy about the food at the buffet (breakfast, lunch or diner). The friend i travelled with thought it was great. I found the food to be a bit bland, they didn't have much fruit in mornings, had minimal to no seafood and the food was similar almost everyday.
- They had a limit on the number of a la carte restaurants you could book. They only let us book two for the week. All other resorts I have stayed at (including Sirenis in Mexico) in the south let us book as many a la carts as we wanted. I would have liked this rule to be slightly more flexible especially during low season when the restaurants were not full.
- Since we went for an adult vacation i didn't like the amount of children on the resort as I found they were rude, disrupted quite time, and screamed at the a la carte restaurants. Although I realize that the hotel has no control on how many children are at the resort it would be nice if they could enforce the adults only areas (i.e. they have a kiddie pool, and water park so it would have been nice if the kids were to stay out of adult pool area/swim up bar and they could stay in the child pool area). I would also have liked to have a few a la carte adults only or at least a time slot available that was adults only as most nights our dinner was interrupted by a child having a meltdown.
- the sales tactics in terms if time shares, and excursions was a bit aggressive - if I say no once i would appreciate not being asked 10 more times.
- free wifi would be nice

Pros:
-great animation staff who tried really hard to engage people
- great, great, amazing, stellar service - the staff work really hard, always have a smile and will try there best to help no matter what - I would say this about all staff front desk, cleaning services, bar, restaurants ect. Overall 5 star plus service
- clean resort - pool, beach, lobby, grounds etc was well maintained and clean
- Great a la carte restaurants (for two we attended), food, service etc was exceptional. Even the decor was nice as it was modern.
- Nice beach and pool area with a number of lawn chairs (I liked that some were always available) unlike other resorts i have been to.
- a lot of variety for drinks if you like booze and the service was quick and friendly at bars.
- not too far from the airport
- several activities on or around resort and opportunity to relax if thats what you prefer.

Overall I would recommend this resort for families, if you want a child free vacation don't go here. I would rate the resort as a 4 star as it was clean, had great service and had a variety of amenities.

Room Tip: As for a room close to lobby not on the ends (as they are a long walk from everything)
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank Amanda H
Hi Amanda H,

Thank you for your great comments. I’m glad to hear you guys had a great vacation at our Resort. Our whole team is working very hard in insuring the quality of our services. Thank you also for your feedback as it is very important to us in order to improve the services we offer.

I’m at your disposition for anything you might need. Please don’t hesitate to contact me at assistantmngr.dr@sirenishotels.com. Hope to have you as our guest again in the near future.

Weatherford, Oklahoma
Reviewed 3 June 2014

First off the pictures of the rooms on the internet must be 15yrs. old. The rooms and the food are nasty at best. I have traveled to multiple destinations and I would rank this the worst of all. NASTY

Room Tip: In Choosing a good room at this resort the only way is to stay at a different resort!!!!
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
12 Thank Mike B
Hi Mike B,

First of all I have to thank you for taking the time to write your review, this always helps us to improve our services. I’m sorry to hear the hotel didn’t meet your expectations during your trip.

Don’t hesitate to contact me personally at assistantmngr.dr@sirenishotels.com if you want to discuss any issues or if you are thinking of coming back to our resort. I’ll be happy to ensure you spend a great vacation.

Clinton, Oklahoma
Reviewed 2 June 2014

I don't know how this got 4 or 5 stars, but what a waste of a week of vacation days!!! We took our whole family and the resort grounds were well kept, the beach was beautiful but other than that it was beyond a disappointment. Rooms were hot and moldy, beds uncomfortable, the worst was the food. We tried to make reservations at the "restaurants" (which turned out to be the pool side snack bar turned into a restaurant) and they had no availability at any restaurant for any night we were there! How is that even possible? So we were left to eat at the buffet which gave us delicious choices like calf liver stew, pigs feet, mashed banana and onion, corn pizza.....our whole family lost weight. We were brought a single bottle of water to our room each day. We felt rationed! Not an exaggeration. Staff was less than helpful- the DR is beautiful, but this place is a dive. Go somewhere else!!!!

• Stayed May 2014
9 Thank Mrsmarci
Hi Mrsmarci,

Thank you very much for sharing your comments with us. I have to say we take very seriously every comment from our customers since it helps us in improving the services we offer. I’m sorry to hear the hotel didn’t meet your expectations during your trip.

Concerning your room, did you ask the reception manager to see if they could give you another one? It is always a pleasure to accommodate our guests to ensure they spend a great holiday; we just need to know what you need. As per the restaurants, there is normally availability for all our guests. Did you mention your challenge in making your reservations to our Guest Services Department? They are there to help you with anything you might need. As per the water and any other requests you have, you just need to communicate it with us and we solve the situation right away to make sure you enjoy your time at our resort.

Please don’t hesitate to write me at assistantmngr.dr@sirenishotels.com if you want to discuss further or if you decide to come back in the future and I will do my best for you to spend a great vacation.

Reviewed 31 May 2014 via mobile

Me and my boyfriend had a 7 night stay at the Sirenis Cocotal, from May 30th, till June 1st, we got it through E-vactions. At first we arrived, very hopeful since we had been the first ones off the plane, in the bus, off the bus and in reception to get settled as quickly as possible. The first thing they told us was our room wasn't ready; fine, we'd wait for room L108 on the Cocotal side. Everyone else who came in the bus got accomodated and we were the only two people in the lobby still waiting. After an hour, we asked again and it STILL wasn't ready, so they gave us another room on the other side of the hotel, the Sirenis Tropical. Once we got there, rooom F008, there was no soap, no shampoo, the bathroom was undone, and nothing in the minibar, which has strictly Coke, Fanta, and Sprite. Oh, and a bottle of water which we didn't get till the next morning. We left that behind and decided to walk around the hotel, and we had arrived at about 4:30PM or 5:00PM, but after the room issue, it was already 6:30PM. We then proceeded to make the restaurant reservations, which they try to put as if you can go all you want to whichever, only to find out you get TWO restaurant dinners, which are subject to availability (we met VARIOUS people who had been able to get just one, or none at all), just to then find out that THREE out of the SIX restaurants they advertise on their page were closed. We made our two "exclusive" reservations, then walked ALL the way to the pool and beach area, which is on the other end of the hotel, about a mile long walk on hot, white concrete (they have little cars to move people around, but they EXCLUSIVELY for members), to notice EVERYTHING was closed. We tried to ask around, and they ALL avoided eye contact when trying to explain it was either because of low season or because they were fixing some of the restaurants and bars, but we got no concrete answer (some of the employees didn't even know what restaurants or bars were open and which weren't). We FINALLY found out the pool and beach close at 6PM (literally, at that hour pool employees start telling people to get out).

The next day while we were showering, we noticed the tub was flooding, and in less than 5 minutes there was a pool in our whole bathroom. We called maintenance, the man checked it out and said fixing it would require taking the whole silicone around it and putting it on again, and said he'd come tomorrow to fix it. We were on our best disposition, so we decided we wouldn't mind that... THEY NEVER CAME Not during a single of the other days, it was never mentioned again by anyone in the staff.

So much they ignored it, that while getting out of the shower on the 5th day, Friday, May 30th, I slipped, fell and hurt my leg. I was bleeding from my leg, my boyfriend called reception about 3 times saying someone had slipped in the bathroom, and needed ice and towels (there was only ONE towel in the room). Not exaggerating and having taken the time, one hour and a half passed and NO ONE came. He walked ALL the way to reception to stress he NEEDED ice right away BECAUSE SOMEONE HAD FELL IN THEIR BATHROOMS BECAUSE OF THEIR FAULT AND NEEDED ICE AND TOWELS TO DRY THE DAMN FLOOR. They finally gave him 3 towels and a bag, a plastic bag full of ice, which HE HIMSELF ended up bringing to me. After already 3 hours, one of the girls came to mop up the floor, to which I responded that we had already used the towels, and I HAD ALREADY FELL. A different guy from maintenance came and after learning what happened, he expressed how he himself could not beleive they'd let guests go through this, but still, nothing happened. After eating so we'd not lose the reservation (we had to get SOMETHING out of this stay), I went to the front desk, re-stressed how unacceptable this was and they said they'd change our rooms, and after sending someone to help us with our bags, once we arrive we learn we're being moved to a 2nd floor, to which there isn't an elevator, and I said I wouldn't be moved unless it was a room on the 1st floor, I had hurt my leg bad, I was LIMPING, and said I also wanted a wheelchair. After looking for the keys to the other room, he came back to take us to the room, and I asked where the wheelchair was, to which he said "There aren't any." By this point I was furious, my boyfriend had been silenced and taken to a corner so the rest of the guests didn't hear, being repeated over and over again he had to calm down and how they just couldn't help us and how he's not resposible because he works night shifts, basically saying it wasn't his fault, also hearing "I have other jobs to do". Here it's not anyone's fault, and they respond to you inconveniences with a lot of "sorry"s, shrugging, and looking away. The employees were just sooo ashamed of what was going on, because it's mostly not them except for the angry faces.

If THAT wasn't enough, we had booked an excursion on a Pirate Ship, and we had to be at 7:20AM at the meeting point (because if you go in the afternoon you HAVE to pay $56 for Open Bar (which we knew was a lie, he just didn't want to sell us the afternoon excursion so he'd have space for people who would spend the extra money), we were there by 6:30AM (the meeting point is ALSO far from reception, and the hotel amenities in general), waited till 8AM, and NO ONE EVER GOT THERE. The staff didn't know about the trip, and checking back in reception, "Super Joel" (how our excursion guide, planner, whatever made himself be called) wasn't in, so basically didn't know what to tell us, because since he had sold the excursion, it had to be him who gave us answers, and he hadn't left a number or anything, and we had been told by himself that he would be also staying at the hotel, I never understood why we could never reach him. Reynaldo in reception (of the little decent employees in this hotel) assured us he'd be notified. We were not about to lose even MORE time waiting for him (which once we got to Joel was what he suggested we had done). The next day, we finally see him, and ask what happened, and he swore he had called to let know it had been cancelled, but we weren't in the room. I said at least they could have left a note, to which again swore he did.... there was no note and he was never able to show us proof. He knew we left in 3 days, and started suggesting we stay longer because all Pirate Ship spaces for what was left of the week were already full. He just shrugged and responded, "Things happen." Please take in mind this was all before the bathroom accident.

Awilda in the La Pirámide Bar and Adriano in Cinecittà were just simply amazing.

But this has been a complete nightmare, and as my first stay in the Dominican Republic I can honestly say this experience was enough to NEVER come back. We were supposed to celebrate my birthday, but since day one, the Sirenis Cocotal, Tropical whichever one it was, has made us regret the day we looked upon the travel package. I had read mixed reviews, and even though most were from bad to horrible experiences, we had decided to give them a chance...... HORRIBLE, TREMENDOUS MISTAKE. This place is a waste of money, time, energy and will to vacation and enjoy.

Also, the water here is very bad for tourists, and even though they gave you filtered water to drink, the ice and water they use to cook is tap, unfiltered water (Trust me, you can tell.) Anyone of the other guests we sparked a conversation with confirmed how they had spent the first days sick and feeling stomach cramps, nausea and diarrhea. Not a coincidence.

If you actually care about anyone doing anything OR EVEN CARING if your kid or one of your loved ones cracks their skull open, or actually enjoying your vacation, take your money and look the other way.

Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
VIK Hotel Cayena Beach
#82 of 111 in Punta Cana
Sunscape Dominican Beach Punta Cana
Grand Bahia Principe La Romana

Been to Sirenis Punta Cana Resort Casino & Aquagames? Share your experiences!