“fantastic service and beautiful location”

Sirenis Punta Cana Resort Casino & Aquagames
Ranked #75 of 111 Hotels in Punta Cana
merseyside
“fantastic service and beautiful location”
Reviewed 23 August 2010

My family (me 44, husband 48, son 14 and sister's family 32,37, 6 and 3) went to the Sirenis from 12 - 19th Aug 2010. We read lots of reviews before we went and I asked questions on the Punta Cana forum. There were several negative reviews but I wasn't worried as in the past I have always been pleasantly surprised by my hotel after reading such comments. It is worth noting that if you are researching your destination before you go look at the writers' data and bear in mind how many contributions the writer has made ( often people only join trip advisor to write something bad!!) Also look at where the writer is from so you know that you have simular expectations, the American and Canadian market has different expectations than us British!!!

The flight was with Thomas Cook and took 9 hours ( plus we had over an hour delay whilst the engineer fixed the door on the plane!). the flight was really good, with seat back entertainment and a meal plus a snack. The crew even came round with complimentry ice cream cones!!!.

The tax at the airport was $10 each and the luggage came through fast, the transfer took approx an hour but it was fine as the air con bus was really cool!!

Check in at the hotel was fast and efficent, bearing in mind that approx 150 people (3 coaches!) were off our plane. You were entertained by dancers whilst in the queue and served fruit punch.

Bell boys took your luggage to your rooms and the rooms were easy to find. The hotel is in 2 halves Cocatal on one side and Suites on the other. Both sides are mirror images of each other, the only difference being that the suites have a lounge area in the rooms. We where on the Cocatal side.

We where in block 'J' on the ground floor, the rooms are spacious and very clean but as others have said they could do with an update on the decor-but this in no way impacted on our holiday. The air-con in the rooms is really efficent, so much so we had to turn it off some nights!! There is a mini fridge that is filled daily with sprite, coke and water (you can't have beer -we even asked the maid and she couldn't facilitate this even with a couple of dollars incentive).
We needed extra pillows and after asking guest services they arrived promptly. There is a hair dryer in the bathroom that is ok but not very powerful. My sister was worried about her hair straighteners as someone said that the 110v supply wasn't adequate but it was and her straighteners and all chargers worked just fine. There is loads of storage and hanging space and plenty of towels and face cloths etc.We had an outside balcony which my husband sat on every morning whilst me and my son slept! There was plenty of room to dry your wet clothes.

There is a huge pool that meanders around the complex with plenty of very shallow areas for the kids and plenty of 7ft deep areas for diving and swimming, there are a couple of swim up bars that are really good. The staff every where are absolutely brilliant, so friendly and keen to give you good service, we did tip good service and they were even more obliging if that is possible! The staff in all the restaurants filled your glasses throughout and brought you water etc.There was table service in the lobby bar and ther staff were very keen to get your drinks for you - I have never experienced this before as table service watresses usually expects tips ( I have been to the Dominican 5 times now and this was by far the best service!)

The animation team were very good and they work extremly hard to ensure you have a good holiday. We didn't participate in much but there was plenty on offer should you wish, the evening entertainment was of a very good quality. Some shows are 'bought in' and were really good - particularly the Circus, Michael Jackson wasn't bad either! Most shows involve a lot of dancing with the animation team miming to tracks - if they could be as good as miming as they were at dancing then the show would be 1st class! The shows started quite late (9.30pm/10pm) and we found this quite late for our youngsters so we missed alot of shows.

There were several restaurants that you could book as well as the buffet restaurant. You are allowed 2 bookings per week, however, you can get more if they are available and you supply the guest service guy with a coupoe of dollars!
We tried the Japanese twice which was our favourite, we had two bookings in the steak house - try the loin steak it's delicious!! we had two goes in the Italian the 1st was disappointing but the second was great! and finally we had one reservation in the Mexican which was great too. The individual service was exceptional in all these restaurants.
The buffet was fine too with plenty to choose from, breakfast had a great omlette and egg station and this changed into a pasta station for lunch and dinner. There was a special 'theme' every evening with things like chinese, mexican and plenty of roasts to chose from. There was also a pool side buffet at lunch serving snacks and full meals and a BBQ on the beach that was great. There was plenty of good food all the time, the only thing that wasn't that great was the puddings but this is probably just as well as I couldn't have allowed myself any more calories!! There were a large selection of cocktails that were included both aloholic and non-alcoholic these were available t all the bars and very tasty!!

The Thomas Cook reps (2) were available lots and actually lived on site so were around all the time, they were really friendly and helpful. We didn't do any trips from them as they were very expensive, we used the hotel tour desk to book a dune buggy excursion for the males of our party which they thoroughly enjoyed..

The beach was very clean and beautiful, there was lots of coral quite close which had lots of fish to feed and watch. Take swim shoes to protect your feet!!! The fish were the best we have seen and were there most days.

The weather was forcasted as stormy, I had been watching weatherunderground daily!! however, there was one afternoon of torential rain and other than that just a couple of light showers. There were lots of electric storms at night with no rain, these were beautiful to watch over the sea.

Local Dominicans did come for weekend breaks as others have said but we didn't find them a problem at all, we infact made friends with the children who played nicely with my nieces.

Time shares sellers have been noted as a problem by previous reviewers, but no-one bothered us at all ( I don't know if this was because we had little ones with us and it might have been hard work for them to keep the kids happy whilst trying to sell to us?!!). These time share sellers (dressed the same as customer services staff in hawian shirts - so beware!!) smiles and said hello as we passed every day.

On departure there was 3 coaches taking you to the airport, check in was really fast and efficent - better than Manchester!! however as there was lots of desks checking in by the time my family was done the other half were 8 rows back from us!

You need $20 per person departure tax.

All in all this was a great holiday and I would recommend it to a friend!!

if you have any further questions I would be happy to answer them.

happy holiday!!

• Stayed August 2010, travelled with family
2 Thank luntyMerseyside

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,046)
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
scotland uk
Reviewed 22 August 2010

we went to stay in the tropical side of sirenis for 2 weeks, we had a great time, the food,buffet was good,loads to choose from,the resturants were also very good,the grounds and gardens you couldnt fault,the pool was huge and very inviting,the beach was good but we prefered the pool,my only gripe would be the suite that we had had a great view of the pool N block behind the steak house although the room was fine everything worked i felt that for the money we paid i would have expected the roomns to be better decorated - this seemed abit tired and old but that is my only complaint,everything else was fab, we booked a buggy ride from annibel (male) hotelbeds desk in the lobby,this was amazing went cave swimming,we also went to catalina island this was also a very good day out, we both had funny tummys half way through the holiday but this could have been due to sun,drink,strange food etc.If you do go to sirenis there are people who sell stuff on the beach if you walk to the right hand side we bought some things they were very nice, there were also a number of stray dogs and a small golden lab puppy if you can spare any water or scraps the dogs really appriciated it, they wont follow you back to the hotel as they know better ( the gaurds chase them) i fell in love with the puppy was heart broken when we left. all in all we had an amazing time and would go back.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank kazrich
Burnley
Reviewed 20 August 2010

myself and my husband has been together for 22 years and we have always taken our boys with us BUT not this time we wanted something different and relaxing and we sure got that.....has we got they the wether was dull and cloudy but within a few hours the sun came out and it was red hot for 12 days but with a nice breeze the last 2 days were a bit cloudy but still hot we had rain for 1 night with thunder and ligtning but we did go in the huricaine months..... the food was AAA++++ the rooms were AAA++++ the staff were AAA+++ we could not fault it at all....the beach is wounderful....they are 2 big swimming pools they are 5 different resturants to choose from including a buffet ever b/fast,dinner,tea....we are booking again for next year i would say though its a holiday for couples or with young children i think children aged between 10-17 its no good for them but if you thinking about going GO.....you will love it x Burnley couple aug 2010

• Stayed August 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Donna38Burnley
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 August 2010

Been thinking about writing a review for a while- well since we got back realy . but got involved againg with work-- it was whilst i was searching for our next holidsay that i thought i would put fingers to key board (so to speak) well here goes ----I booked our two week holiday (as usual as he never does) We had not been to this resort befor but a friend of Gordons ( my partner goea each year to the same resort but not this hotel----any way I booked it set off as i said, we had not been to this island before and didn't know what to expect!! one or two small disapointments, lets get them out the way at the begining. We reported that we had a faulty light over our dressing table - this was repaired the following day - only to find it had not been done correctly, we reported it again and again and agian for three days -- In the end i gave up and used the lights in the bathroom for my make up etc--- next our key card went on the blink one night so we had to trudge back to reception to have it re-programmed, enough said about faults as we only had the two.....the room its self was fabbbbbb---we had a large corner bath big enough for three (should you so wish- we didn') large balcony and two 3/4 beds -- what luxury--- they were well looked after and very clean -- we had Crocodiles - Swans - Love Birds and the rest during our stay all complete with flowers from the well kept surrounding gardens...food and sevice was the best we have ever had ( i am a fussy eater) drinks were served by waiters at the dinner table during meals -fantastic- plates cleared as soon as you left the table to get more food - nothing was two much trouble at any time day or night, there were several restaurants on site you need to book on a day to day basis - the best we found was the Steak and the Tapenyaky (think thats nearly correct) Cocktails were included in the price (so rare these days) so we had a try a quite a few!!!!!!! I got a taste for the Bloodly Mary's ( Not like the ones we get at home) you can walk through the grounds directly onto the beech (heaven) we did this at night with the sea breeze blowing and the waves lapping at our feet (haaaaa bliss) the pools are cleaned daily and the surrounding area's washed or hosed down..... sevice friendly and staff eager to please ( not looking for tips- as is the norn elswere) Some trips we felt were a little expensive (you dont have to go on them- we chose just one to the Cigar and Rum factory - not value for money we thought - we had done this in Cuba and was far better educationaly)
The entertianment team were great, we had "James Bond" "Byonce" "Lady" "Will Smith" to name but a few. The children were well catered for having their own entertainer - we had none with us on this trip -----the team worked very hard from 9am until very late in the early hours of ther morning- with excellent shows featuring a different theme each night, Karaoke and ( fun bingo was also in place, pool activaties if you wanted to join in, along with rewards of Booze!!!! nothing wrong with that -- the team flirted with all age groups of holiday makers in order for them to have a good time. We went Snorkleing but the sea was a little to rough for me - (not as good as Egypt) this didn't spoil my holiday though and the tour operator cannot be held responsable for that !!!!!!!! there is a constant breeze throughout the day (much needed)lots of space in and around the gardens (well looked after) if you didn't fancy being to near the pools -- we had some storms whilst we were there but then we were in the Tropics once again we didn't let this spoil our holiday. Nothing surrounds the hotel so getting out for a stroll in the evening affter dinner is not an option - we found that we didn't miss it. All in all we had an excellent stay and would go back in a few years time when we have made visits to other countries. asked if i would recomend to friends -- well s yes a si keep telling lots of people aboyt my time in the Serenis Cocotal. The internet was not free but was
available.

• Stayed May 2010, travelled as a couple
Surrey
Reviewed 16 August 2010

(Date of stay: 28th July - 11th Aug 2010) Booked through Thomas Cook. Very speedy check in on arrival and our bags were brought up to our room about 2mins after us. Tipping is when you feel it is deserved and we tipped between 100 - 300 pesos (£2 - £6) or $1 - 5USD.
I really DO NOT recommend using the Thomas Cook Cash Passport for the following reasons.
1) It's loaded with USD and the hotel (& poss the country's) ATM only pays out in Dominican Pesos.
2) ATM does not give a balance so you have to convert your dollars to pesos to know how much you've spent and how much you have left - with the exchange rate changing daily this is guess work.
3) The withdrawl charge is about £2.50 a time and the machine does not allow large amounts when needed for paying for excursions. (we spent £10 in charges in one night paying for our excursions)
4) The reps can not accept the card for payment as they only have one of the old machines that takes the imprint of the card number. The card number is not raised! (I was assured before departure that this was the most convenient method for paying for excursions and would be accepted!!) - Needless to say I have written a complaint to TC.
EXCURSIONS - Highly recommended is the
*Mega Trucks - particularly Alex's vehicle, we didn't stop laughing the whole day. The trip is videoed and cost's 1200 pesos (about £24.00) but included is a video history and sights of DR plus a cd of Dominican music.
*Swimming with dolphins - fullfilled a dream, there are a couple of options including Explorer which is recommended if you're apprehensive (as a non swimmer this suited me) and Excellence. With Explorer you get to work in a group (we had about 8 ) with one dolphin, a kiss, dance, dolphin jump over you and towed in by dorsal fin and by flippers, you're wearing life jackets but do have to go out into deeper water. With Excellence the group has 2 dolphins and does all of the above plus a 'Superman' push out of the water. Explorer was videoed and cost $70 incl 2 photo's, Excellence was not videoed as they didn't have enough cameras but you could ask if they are going to film it and they are trying to improve on that score.
*Bavaro Splash - fantastic if you like snorkling (you have life jackets), snuber (like skuba) and a James Bond type Speedboat chase (drive your own)
We did go deepsea fishing (booked through the reps) but it was a waste of time, the sea was too rough (told it was calm before setting off!) no scent trail put out only plastic lures used. Nothing caught except a poor fish who was snagged through the dorsal fin as it crossed the path of the lure!
Hotel is fantastic, the staff work extremely hard, constantly cleaning and are very attentive. We didn't have a problem with the 'Timeshare' guys situated halfway down the main walkway, we didn't make eye contact and on the couple of occassions we were approached we said no thanks and they left us alone. The guys selling trips did not hassel either, they asked, we said we'd already booked our trips and they wished us well and left. In fact we didn't feel pressurised on or off resort to buy anything.
The entertainment staff are absolutely brilliant, they have many activities during the day and put on fantastic shows in the evening too, Particularly good are Will Smith, James Bond, Mr Potato (Head) Beyonce and Freddie Kruger (if anyone reading this has or gets a picture of Freddie, Potato & James Bond please let me know as my camera played up and I lost my pics of them) Bingo is played a couple of times a week ($5 a card) with many prizes (several bottles of rum of course). It's played for a line until all prizes have been won.
Food in the main buffet is plentiful and the restaurants are good, we were not keen on the Mexican as it was not spicy enough for us but that's a matter of taste. We especially liked the oriental, steakhouse (medium rare and well done steaks were cooked perfectly) and italian restaurants.
If you like coffee/tea in your room ask for a cafetiere, milk is not provided but you can get a cupful from the breakfast cereal bar and keep it in the fridge, if you're not keen on UHT/Pasturised type milk then take some powdered milk.
The rooms may look a little 'tired' but they were completely adequate for our needs, the maid comes in daily. Our only mishap was the catch on the bathroom door broke and I was stuck in the bathroom after having a shower (showers only, no plug for the bath and no actual locks on the door) Maintenance arrived in 2-3 mins and were very quick in getting me out. Catch wasn't replaced while we were there but it wasn't a problem. Also the aircon was not so efficient on a couple of nights but that was due to problems outside of the hotel, so beyond their control.
Maintenance work was constantly being carried out around the hotel, especially replacing and re-thatching the umbrellas. The pool area is cleaned thoroughly each evening as is the beach. The beach is as clean as the guests ..... if you get my drift! Even then it is only a very small minority who leave their rubbish for the guys to clear. The sea is lovely and mainly sandy, there is a group of rocks with fish for snorkling.
Sunbeds were plentiful but the usual 'early morning towel on sunbed' by ALL nationalities was in place to secure a umbrella (for the first time ever my husband refused to play that game :o) ) We used the palm trees for shade.
During the weekends that we were there, the locals, that we had read about before, were not evident.
This resort is great for families of all ages, but is quite remote, Bavaro is about an hour's drive away.
Last but not least take plenty of sunscreen and aftersun, make sure you start with a highish factor even if you don't usually burn (factor 20+)
I hope this helps answer any questions that you may have. We will definitely go back and take our daughters and their families if possible

• Stayed July 2010, travelled as a couple
3 Thank eigna08
Ottawa
Reviewed 16 August 2010

I must admit that I was quite hesitant to book this resort. Therefore, I must urge everyone to ignore ALL negative comments.

My boyfriend and I have been to many resorts in Punta Cana and this one was the absolutely best one! Especially for those travelling with children!

The grounds, the animation team, the staff, the food were just fabulous.

One thing that we didn't know and I want to advertise to everyone is that there's coral reefs right at the beach - yes!!! You don't even have to an an excusion as this is right at your door. We absolutately loved it in the morning to feed these beautiful tropical fish - don't forget to bring your snorkle gear and bread from the buffet. An experience will not forget.

I will definitely return with my children - we go elsewhere when this resort met ALL my needs.

Do not hesitate to write me if you have any questions!!

Stayed August 2010, travelled with family
2 Thank Nicolelovestravel
Leeds, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 August 2010

I agree that these reviews are our opinions of hotels and as we all have different levels of expectations and desires this will always impact on the reviews given!!

Our expectations were quite low if I am honest as this hotel does seem to get very mixed reviews and subsequently we was not disappointed, in fact we was pleasantly amazed with how fantastic this holiday became. We stayed in the Cocotal side for the last 2 weeks of July. I agree with previous comments that the accomodation is not the best and certainly not 5 star standard, but how much time do you spend in the rooms and no body has paid 5 star prices so i guess no body has been mislead!!

Food is plentiful and fresh, we tried all the restaurants and thought the Oriental (Jade) was fab, it was first time my son had tried Japanese and he loved it. Italian was also very good and so was the Mexican. We tried the Steakhouse but it was not to our liking, you could always find something to eat in the buffet if you couldn't get a reservation in any of the restaurants.. Tip - the concierge will give you more reservations than the 2 allocated, we had 7 in total over 2 weeks!!

Rooms were ok for their purpose, we found the beds to be comfy enough to get a goods night sleep. We didn't have enough pillows but a quick call to house keeping and more pillows delivered. A few times the maid would forget to give us towels and again, a quick call to house keeping and clean towels delivered. We also suffered with a leak as previous reviews mention, ours was caused by using the air con all day!! The maintenance team advised not to leave it on all day. They were quick to resolve the problem though and it never leaked again. Maids came daily although the times did vary and a couple of times we asked her not to clean our room as we had come back to get ready for an early reservation.

Entertainment - Where do i start?! This hotel has the best entertainment team i ahve ever experienced. They put their heart and sole into everything and deserve huge recognition and high praise and probably a massive pay rise for their hard work and total dedication to ensuring everyone has the best holiday ever. I just loved Will Smith, Potato, James Bond, Beyonce, Chocolate, Freddy Kruegar for their daily fun around the pool. They entertained us with such passion and because of them we had the best holiday, i genuinely thank them for making our holiday the best holiday ever. The evening shows were spectacular and we never saw a show twice! The professional dancers were incredible and Melvin is an exceptional dancer and very easy on the eye!!

Pool is large and wonderful, it was so nice to cool off in the pool and watch the games and activities. I loved the swim up bar and made my way through as many cocktails as i could!! hic.. It did get over crowded in the afternoon around the swim up bar but i was happy where i was, there is always the other swim up bar on the Tropical side if you wanted quiet!! Oh and yeah, some of the older teenagers did have blue bands... I know i drunk alcohol before i turned 18 so i guess i am i no position to preach!! Plus i allowed my daughter a blue band especially as i had paid an adult price for her..

Overall, the hotel could do with a bit of a refurb in areas but if that is something that would spoil your holiday then i wish you look in finding your 'perfect' holiday. For us this was better than we expected and we had an amazing holiday...

Thank you to alll the staff at Sirenis you really are the best....

Vicky xx

VIK Hotel Cayena Beach
#82 of 111 in Punta Cana
Sunscape Dominican Beach Punta Cana
Grand Bahia Principe La Romana

Been to Sirenis Punta Cana Resort Casino & Aquagames? Share your experiences!