“Had a WONDERFUL vacation here last week”

Ranked #74 of 111 Hotels in Punta Cana
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Had a WONDERFUL vacation here last week”
Reviewed 9 October 2013

My boyfriend and I spent a week at the Vik Arena from September 27th to october 4, 2013. He had purchased the trip through Apple Vacations and neither of us had ever been to Punta Cana before. I read several reviews of the resort on tripadvisor prior to leaving home and found many of the tips helpful as mentioned below. Both of us had a really great time on this trip and felt that this resort was a very good value. Clearly there are many fancier places to stay and perhaps if we go back one day we will try another place for comparison, but we were very comfortable at this resort and met some great people that we really enjoyed spending time with. If I could have stayed another week (or more) I would have!

Some salient points:
1. The rooms are modest, but we were very comfortable. We had no issues with the beds (we had 2 doubles, shared one and used the other one for stuff. There is no iron and if you need one you have to ask at the desk and you get it for 2 hours on loan. So I never did iron anything. But since this place is pretty relaxed, that didn't seem to matter. Some women dress up but all in all the place had a very low-key relaxed feel and except for the requirement (kind of weird really) that men wear long pants in all but the buffet restaurant for dinner, anything was fine in terms of attire.
2. We were in building 4 in a renovated room on the 3rd floor. The steps were sometimes tiring but I figured it helped make up for the fact that I never made it to the gym (I know there is one but I never saw anyone else going there either). No incredible view but the grounds are quite lovely and there is a table and chairs on the balcony if you choose to sit out there. We did not have a problem with air conditioning. it is true it doesn't get freezing cold in the room, but it was comfortable and the high ceiling and strong fan was also quite nice. There are not many hangers so I had to double hang dresses but I took way too much clothing anyway.
3. Diet soda is very hard to come by. Fridge was stocked with water, 7 up and pepsi but you have to be somewhat persistent to be sure to get the soda refilled . We had to write notes to request diet pepsi and never got more than one bottle so I guess it is at a premium. The soda that is available around the resort is not a brand - it was fine but I liked the bottled stuff better even though it isn't the American kind - it is Petsi light or something - similar to what we got when we were in Mexico last year. This sounds picky but I'm an iced tea drinker and you can't get that at the resort (unless you want to brew strong tea at breakfast and add tons of ice which I resorted to at the end of the week). I actually took packets of crystal light with me and wished I had taken more. I mixed that up and drank it until it ran out during the days at the pool/beach. DO TAKE A LARGE CUP WITH A LID WITH YOU as others have mentioned. We took amusement park cups with attached straws and were so glad we had them since the bar cups are tiny and who wants to keep getting up every few minutes to refill? The bartenders (Felix at the beach bar was wonderful) were happy to fill them for us.
4. The beach is the nicest I've ever been to. The water is clear and beautiful and there is nothing bothersome like sharp shells or jellyfish or stinging/biting/pinching things or anything. I could have stayed out there swimming half the day. It was sunny and beautiful the whole time we were there. The pool renovations were completed mid-way through our week and it is lovely and the water is surprisingly and pleasantly cool. There were plenty of chairs at the pool and on the beach and we never had trouble finding an umbrella although the place was not full when we were there. One day at the pool we had fun listening to what sounded like a 1980 playlist of Air Supply and various other soft rock songs from our youth (this tells you we are fifty). Meanwhile down on the beach they had a tendency to play several what I assume to be regional songs over and over again, which we found kind of tedious in a funny way. But when one of our friend got up and asked them to change the music, they did. Lots of activities are always going on and the young men come around and try to get you to play if you are interested. Volleyball, bocci, water aerobics, dance classes. I mostly wanted to lay there reading my books and getting in the water now and then.
5. There are lots of people from various different countries at this resort, which we found fun and interesting but I gather some people find bothersome. Seems like if you only like your own sort it is better to stay home,but that is just my opinion. We did make friends with others who spoke English as it is nice to be able to easily converse, but it was also fun to try out a little Spanish and French (badly) here and there. I printed out a cheat sheet of simple travel phrases in spanish before I went to cover the basics since some of the people who work there do not have much English.
6. US dollars are accepted for everything down there. We never needed to change any money at all. Take lots of dollar bills for tipping because it isn't easy to get anyone to give you change (the money exchange counter is not allowed apparently). I also printed out this little conversion chart you can get online and cut it out and put it in my wallet. We consulted that a LOT throughout the week when we went shopping off the property and wanted to know how much something cost in US dollars.
7. We left the property for 3 things. We went on a shopping excursion that Apple booked for us which was free. A van came and took us to two shopping locations and we met some friends and had a great time. Saw cigars being made and learned about amber and got mamajuana samples (local drink - yum) and bought souvenirs. We also went on the Outback Safari excursion (also booked through Apple rep after we were there) which has great ratings on tripadvisor and was well worth the money. Had an incredible meal and got to see some of the countryside and learn about the people and culture of the Dominican Republic and sample some of the produce. It is a bumpy ride, but such a memorable experience! Lastly we went (twice) to the Hard Rock resort and casino - the first time to look around (someone offered us a free day all inclusive there if we came and sat through their 90 minute presentation which we would have done had we had a longer trip) and the next time with 2 other couples we met for a nice dinner (had great sushi) and some gambling (not so successful). The place is nice but you could be in Las Vegas or somewhere else in the U.S. - not exactly a Caribbean feel. We had fun. Taxi cost 25 each way so you would want to share if possible.
8. Food. Ok, so the food at this resort is perfectly fine although not anything super special. I'm not sure what can be expected at an all-inclusive resort since I'm not a big traveler, but I am pretty easy to please and was not all that hungry on this trip since I spent so much time in the sun and probably drank a lot of my caloric intake. :) Personally I liked the buffet restaurant the best. We ate at two of the other places (Mexican and International) and they were ok but I preferred to just be able to choose what I wanted and if I didn't like something, try something else. There is so much at the buffet that I can't imagine anyone can't find something to eat. They are catering to many different nationalities and their preferences so there are lots of unfamiliar things. There is always something fresh being cooked around the perimeter of the buffet (omelets in the morning and usually chinese (great) or paella or italian (or all 3) in the evenings. You get to pick your ingredients and they cook it up for you on the spot. I probably could have just eaten those things for every meal all week. There is Presidente beer (no light beer at the resort by the way) available and a tap of wine (perfectly drinkable) and the no-name sodas and water available. Also juices I think. Fruit is fantastic - particularly pineapple and bananas. If you are picky about salad dressing you might want to bring some because there is basically oil and vinegar. Hard boiled eggs are hot, which was weird but ok with me. Yogurt was too liquidy for me to eat - I like the thick greek kind. This was more pourable. I think the milk is powdered. I kind of didn't eat much in the way of dairy while I was there. Lots of really good chicken. Other meats were sometimes a little chewy. Bacon is baked, apparently, and chewier than at home but I kind of liked it. Hamburgers and hotdogs and pizza at the snack bar were enjoyed but the buns are not the best - the bread is not particularly soft there. I took a bag of almonds with me and snacked on them during the day. If you have some kind of snack food you like you might want to do that since familiar items might not be easily available there.
9. Only went to one evening show - a magic type show. VERY good. My boyfriend got chosen to be an "assistant" and even he couldn't figure out how they did the illusions. I was impressed. The place was fairly quiet in terms of night life/social life. We went into the disco once and there were just a few people in there, but it was the off season. And the crowd at the resort was more middle-aged (like us) than 20-something, although there were some young couples around. There were some children and families, but probably overwhelmingly couples. We lamented that the pool closed at 7 and the pool bar wasn't open in the evenings except when they had the "beach party" night (maybe twice a week). The calypso bar is open late and is the only place you can get anything to eat after 9:30 or so. There are sandwiches in a case that you can put into a panini press and heat up. I didn't have one but my friends said they weren't bad. Some nights there was live music of one kind of another near the calypso bar and we danced a bit which was fun.
10. I did not have a problem with people trying to sell me things. There are people on the beach that go by selling cigars, but none of them approached me. We never did walk down to what our friends called the "cheapy cheapy" places down the beach. We heard that they do the hard sell there (come and kind of take you by the arm and lead you to their shop) but they said you just have to be firm and if you want to buy something, offer about a third of what they start at and make a bargain. There are some people on the resort property who try to stop you to sell you an excursion, but we just said no. They seemed to only talk to my boyfriend which was interesting but made it easy on me. My boyfriend felt that they learned quickly he wasn't buying and left us alone. There is a guy who comes down the beach with animals and a photographer if you want your picture with a monkey, lizard or snake. I'm not a snake fan so that kind of freaked me out the first time I saw him but I did the universal sign for "keep that snake away from me" and we were fine. By and large I spent my days in complete peace and relaxation on the beach with nothing to worry me one iota. Perfect comfort, nice people, plenty of drinks...what more could I want?
11. Everything at this resort is open-air - the lobby, the restaurants, the bars. No need to be concerned about having sweaters/jackets to combat cold air conditioning, which is usually an issue for me. The only time I was cold was at the Hard Rock (if you go there, DO take a sweater).
12. The all inclusive liquor is not top shelf by any means but certainly sufficed for us for the most part. My boyfriend did buy a couple bottles of better stuff at the duty free at the airport in Baltimore which we mixed some drinks with in our room and managed to kill just in time to return home. It was kind of nice to have the better vodka for bloody mary's (no bloody mary mix - just tomato juice, but the lobby bar still made pretty good ones).
13. I took bug stuff but was mostly not bothered by bugs on this trip. In fact I was surprised at how un-buggy it was there. At the end of the week I finally did get a few bites - not sure if it was mosquitos or what but it was kind of itchy. But for me, that was very mild. At home I get bit by everything. If you buy the off towelette things they are easy to transport and have with you if you need them.
14. Sun is obviously very hot. I am pale and used 65 spf all week and still got a little red here and there. Saw some pretty burned people so heed the advice of those who remind you not to drink so much you forget to coat yourself liberally and often.

Guess that is it. If you aren't a super high maintenance and picky negative person, I can't imagine you could go to this place and not have a great time. We appreciated having this wonderful romantic week and meeting great friends in this beautiful tropical setting for such a very modest price (which is the only way we could have afforded it). Good luck on your trip!

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
34 Thank Sue S
VHAB, Public Relations Manager at VIK Hotel Arena Blanca, responded to this review, 12 December 2013
Dear client,

As a service oriented company, we highly appreciate our guest’s opinion and therefore we recognize the value of taking your time to let us know about your experience. We always put our greatest interest in our client’s comments in continuously work for improve the quality of our services.

It delighted us to know that you enjoyed your holidays with us!

Thanks for visiting us and we are looking forward to seeing you here again in your Vik hotel Arena Blanca!

VIK hotel Arena Blanca

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (465)
  • Czech first
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
bristol
Reviewed 4 October 2013

We managed to get this hotel for a fantastic price and were surprised on how good it was.
We luckily ended up with a sea view room which was a nice bonus, however you could end up being away from the main area and near the casino end.
The room itself was a good size, tiled throughout as is the norm in the carib, bathroom was ok but not the most modern.
King size bed as standard, which was pretty comfy.
There is a hire shop on the beach for all your scuba needs and kayaks/sail boats etc.
The beach is stunning and when we were there loungers a plenty, although you can get up too late.
The pools are large and plenty of room to escape any unruly kids.
Food is a standard affair, some nights are better than others, however there are a few restaurants to pick from for a change.
Entertainment is good, if not spectacular, but there is a small casino to escape to if you feel the need.
I would stay here again at the right price, had everything you need, there are better hotels in punta cana but if you compare prices and this is a lot cheaper its a good option.
If you are fussy and want 5 star...this aint for you.

• Stayed November 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank brsgary
Dear client,

As a service oriented company, we highly appreciate our guest’s opinion and therefore we recognize the value of taking your time to let us know about your experience. We continuously work for improve the quality of our services.

It delighted us to know that you enjoyed your holidays with us and we hope to see you for one more time here, in a near future!

Mexico
Reviewed 4 October 2013

Before choosing this hotel I have read almost all comments and I have to say I was kinda scared,
But it was a big surprised.Food was great and was abundant.The room was big and clean.
And the staff is so amazing,extremely helpful and cheery!
Thank you for the wonderful experience !

Room Tip: Corner suites are sunny and quiet
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
6 Thank 2gether409
Dear client,

Thank you for selecting our Vik hotel Arena Blanca!

It pleased us to know that you enjoyed your holidays with us and you really liked the attention of our staff. We want to thank you for sharing your positive and constructive opinion with us on trip advisor. It will be a great pleasure for us welcome you in the future for one more time, repeater guests are very especial for us.

Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 3 October 2013

When we first arrived we asked for a room that wasn't on the first floor, they said they didn't have anything available check back the next day. We checked back the next day and still nothing so we just gave up and dealt with the room we had. (Our initial issue was the sliding glass door didn't lock, they did promptly send someone to lock it though). Our other issue with the rooms was the beds were really uncomfortable. It just felt like a box spring. We stayed in block 2, not sure if that makes a difference but people said the rooms were a little nicer closer to the beach, blocks 3 and 4.

The food was alright. Nothing exceptional or horribly awful, we managed to find something to eat everyday and did not go hungry.The one thing that was nice is that you didn't have to make reservations for the a la cartes so you could just show up and they would seat you. I'd avoid the Italian though it was not very good, and they forgot my meal.

The best part of the resort was the beach as it was beautiful, the water was nice and clear, and we could always find loungers with some amount of shade. There are also little shops a short walk down which was really convenient to do all out souvenir shopping and we didn't even leave the resort. The excursions they had were so so, the only one that was appealing was a boat ride to a beach but why would we pay the money when we had a beautiful beach we had already paid for. All in all it was okay but I would recommend another resort if you want something a little more pleasurable.

Room Tip: Blocks 4 and 5 are supposed to be better
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Danielle B
Dear client,

Thank you for selecting our Vik hotel Arena Blanca!
Thank you for sharing with us on trip advisor your opinion regarding your vacation experience in our Vik hotel Arena Blanca.
We are glad to know our client’s opinion because by this way we can improve our service quality and grow. We take note about everything mentioned in your comment for improve this points in our service.

Ottawa, Canada
Reviewed 1 October 2013

We arrived at noon and did not expect a room right away. Had Patrico who was very nice take care of us and around 2pm we got an upgraded room in building 4. The room was definitely nicer than the last time we stayed. They were renovating alot of rooms while we were there as it is low season as well as doing reno's to the pool. Room was very clean and nice. We had a leak in bathroom ceiling and they were there quickly to repair and even came back next day to check on it. Still one of the nicer beach areas in this area. Staff are very friendly here. I will agree with others that the resort does cater to a large german, french and russian crowd but there are english tourists. Felix the bartender at the beach gives excellent service ! A tip here or there never hurts ! Food at buffet is okay never had a problem finding something to eat. It all depends what you pay for the resort - I got a great deal for oceanview so I was satisfied for what I paid. It is a 3 star resort. I do agree the non-upgraded rooms and not the best for sure. I would stay there again.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
VHAB, Public Relations Manager at VIK Hotel Arena Blanca, responded to this review, 4 October 2013
Dear client,

Thank you for expressing on tripadvisor your opinion regarding your recent visit in our Vik hotel Arena Blanca! We are so glad to know that you spent a good time with us, and that you liked the attention provided by our staff as we love to work every with our guests, making their stay an unforgettable experiences.

Thank you for visiting us and we are looking forward to see you soon here at your home Vik hotel Arena Blanca!

Cordially,
Bloomington, Minnesota
Reviewed 24 September 2013

2nd time here to this Resort! We stayed Sept 7th-14th. Were in Love again! Staff is friendly and very helpful! We stayed this time in building 3 over looking the pool and beach. Building 5 and half of the pool being remodeled but when done looks to be awesome! The room had a king size bed which was a plus and as usual very clean! Housekeeping does do a great job of keeping rooms clean and the building facilities spotless. We had a problem with the television reception called room service, they switched the tv out right away and worked great after that. The food was great, chefs do a great part preparing variety of different dishes especially at the International buffet. They have pasta bar, homemade soup bar, sushi, Chinese bar it prepared right in front of you what you want in it, hot and fresh. Every night they do a different theme and prepare something special. I always found something different every night to try. There is three restaurant. We enjoy the Italian restaurant the best, must try! Has great lasagna and grouper fish along with seafood crepe, to die for. Of course, we come for the wonderful white sand beach. We get up early to see the sunrise and walk the beach every morning we were there, also went to there gym after breakfast. Again, we call the chef, the eggman, was there to greet us with a big smile for breakfast! He makes omelets and any kind of eggs right in front of you. For lunch, there is the homemade pizza, hamburgers, hot dogs and baked chicken, French fries or you can do the buffet. I did the awesome pizza most days. We were a little disappointed that the internet center is down right now, forgot our computer but there was free Wi Fi in the lounge you could use with your phone or I pad. They do a great job with keeping every age entertain! They gather all the children even the toddler age and do activities every day with them. We also watch the activity center gather any one who wanted to play sand volleyball, games on the beach and exercising in the pool, they asked us but, we just wanted the relaxing vacation and read books on the beach. The bar drinks I think were better this year they custom more to what you like in them, stronger or weaker. They do wonderful night shows, we enjoyed this year the beach party, they had all sorts of music to dance to. Some nights we just enjoyed playing a little pool and having a night drink. We also met a lot of different people from US and other parts of the world on the beach and at the activities, were interesting and very friendly to talk to. We would be consider over the 50 crowd and have more time on our hands now, that my husband is retired from his job, we have been to a lot of different places around the world, but this resort is high on our list to return back next year for that Wonderful and Relaxing Vacation Again!!

Room Tip: Building 3 was close to everything and we had the view of looking the beach
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends
4 Thank Susan G
VHAB, Public Relations Manager at VIK Hotel Arena Blanca, responded to this review, 2 October 2013
Dear client,

We would like to show you our gratitude for your preference in our Vik hotel Arena Blanca for the enjoyment of your vacation. We really appreciate your comments and it is a pleasure to know that you spent a good time with us.

We hope to have the opportunity to welcome you again here in your home Vik hotel Arena Blanca.

Best regards,

Airdrie, Canada
Reviewed 24 September 2013

This was our first trip to Dominican Republic, so I wasn't sure what to expect. I've stayed at 4 star and 5 star resorts in Mexico, so that was my basis for comparison. This is no 4 star resort.

The first thing that strikes you when you enter your room is the bed- make that "bedS". There are 2 twin beds pushed together and made separately (twin sheet sets), so you can't actually touch your partner when you sleep unless you share a tiny twin bed. (My husband often woke up sore, exclaiming "I slept in the crack!") Even if you like the idea of twin beds, these beds are apparently made out of cardboard or something equally comfortable.

After the surprise of the beds, we were a little surprised to find that only one of the six electrical outlets in the room worked. (Perhaps because there is actually a light switch in the shower!)

Speaking of electricity, the power went out several times a day... which makes me believe the food was never refrigerated nor cooked properly. Every time we ate we got sick. We went to the seafood restaurant and puzzled at why the shrimp looked and tasted canned when they are located right between the Atlantic and Pacific oceans. The restaurants all have different times they are open so there are times in the day when they are all closed. If you sleep until 10 you're having a hamburger for breakfast. We were also surprised when they had advertised a Friday night seafood BBQ on the beach, both on the internet and via hand-delivered flyers, yet when Friday came we went to look for it and they seemed totally bewildered... like they had never heard of such a thing.

Two days in we noticed that the ceiling in the bathroom and closet started leaking. We assumed that it was because of the rain... then we remembered that there are two stories above us. This wasn't rain dropping on our heads... it was someone's bathroom. Then our toilet stopped flushing. Very bad when- as previously mentioned- the food makes you sick. Our friend's bathroom started backing up, leaving her room full of sewage. Half of the pool was closed for repairs, so we were serenaded by the sound of jackhammers nonstop.

The gym was nothing great... old school equipment with a few broken pieces. The most interesting part of the gym was the huge dead cockroach behind the door of the men's bathroom... and the matching dead cockroach behind the door of the ladies' room... and the fact that they were there on day one of our vacation and STILL THERE on day SEVEN!

Speaking of bugs... our companion (the one with the sewage problem) noticed lots of mosquito-like bites on her legs. She was the only one who had them and they were getting worse. One day she returned to her room to find a note saying that they were fumigating her room that day! All of her personal items got fumigated without her consent!

Everywhere you go you will be bombarded by people pressuring you to buy tours from them. WARNING: THE TOURS YOU BUY FROM THE GUYS OUTSIDE ARE NOT THE TOURS THEY ADVERTISE THROUGH THE HOTEL. We paid for a trip to Catalina Island which was to include a river boat ride, an all inclusive Lobster BBQ, and a tour of a medieval town. Instead, we were merely dropped of at the shore of Catalina Island where we huddled under a bar umbrella in the pouring rain for 3 hours, drinking the most watered-down rum ever poured. (We are not big drinkers but my husband was able to drink 12 glasses of straight rum without even feeling a buzz! Hey- what else are you going to do while standing in the rain for 3 hours?) Not only that, but we were told we had paid for the all-inclusive lobster BBQ lunch only to find that this wasn't the case; they expected another $20 for one lobster. We did 3 other excursions... the best by far being the time we rented motorboats to drive from the Atlantic to the Pacific where we went snorkelling and visited a natural swimming pool. The only downside was when the person who sold us the tour gave my husband a small package wrapped in toilet paper. He told us to not look inside the package but to give to the driver. I kicked up a fuss so the delivery was not made.

Now for the good part... the beach was FANTASTIC. PERFECT. BEAUTIFUL. Beats Mexico hands down.

I've done a lot of traveling so I just resolved myself to the fact that this is a 3rd world country and assumed that Punta Cana was not developed enough to deliver the type of resort experience that the average Canadian would expect. Out of curiosity, we took a cab to a very elegant restaurant, “Noah”, and then went to the Hard Rock Resort. This is when we realized that there are modern, safe, clean places to visit in Punta Cana. VIK Arena Blanca just doesn’t happen to be one of them!

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank Cecilia L
Dear customer,

As a service oriented company, we highly appreciate our guest’s opinion and therefore we recognize the value of taking your time to let us know about your experience, as this is the way for keeping improving and grow our quality service. Thank you for informing us about the situations that occurred during your stay with us, we really would have liked the opportunity to talk with you during your stay at the hotel and in this way we could have taken immediate actions to address these irregularities.

Cordially,