“I had a wonderful time here!!”

VIK Hotel Arena Blanca
Ranked #76 of 111 Hotels in Punta Cana
new york
“I had a wonderful time here!!”
Reviewed 14 May 2014

So I stayed at the VIK Hotel Arena Blanca in Punta Cana. I stayed from 5/8/14 to 5/12/14, and after reading all the negative reviews- I was pleasantly surprised! My only complaint would be that my room wasn't ready at the 3pm check-in time, it was ready at 4pm. But no worries- after all, I AM in the Caribbean and not going to flip out over something so silly- I decided to go check out the beach and resort and when I got back an hour later- I made it to my room- room 4101 in building 4. The call it a "garden view" but I actually could also see the pool and beach if I just looked to the left. Room was great- clean, great shower, flat screen TV, bottles of water, nice beds. I loved this resort- great beach, staff is excellent and super-friendly. I don't understand how people in their reviews say the staff was rude- I found the exact opposite!- a simple "hola" from me was all it took for a big smile from them and an enthusiastic "hola" right back! The burgers were really good, they're available every day. Food in all the restaurants and the buffet was delicious! The grounds are so pretty and well taken care of. The vendor "David" by the pool was soo nice and gave me some great deals on a ton of jewelry I brought back as souveniers for my friends. Met people from all over the world at this resort- The US, Canada, France, England, Germany, Spain- I really loved it. I would definitely stay here again!!

Room Tip: Go for building 4 if you can- rooms are great and building is close to the pools and beach, making i...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled solo
3 Thank razzoNewYork
VHAB, Director de Relaciones Públicas at VIK Hotel Arena Blanca, responded to this review, 30 May 2014
Dear client,

Thank you for selecting our Vik hotel Arena Blanca!
It pleased us to know that you enjoyed your holidays with us and you really liked the attention of our staff. We want to thank you for sharing your positive opinion on trip advisor. It will be a great pleasure for us welcomes you in the future for one more time.

VIK hotel Arena Blanca

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (467)
  • Czech first
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada
Reviewed 13 May 2014

This hotel had fewer issues than many I have been to, overall leading me to be pleased enough to want to come back. Soon! It was one of the better ones for sure! I had a smile on my face for most of the trip, just from the peace and the breezes and the convenience of so much so close.

I loved how small and compact it is, with only a few minutes' walk in any direction getting you to the beach. The pool is beyond clean!! The grounds are swept and gardened continuously and the place abounds with flowers and sculpted trees. Then lobby is well maintained too, and the reception staff speaks reasonable English. the lobby has blowing breezes going through it and is delightful. The nightly entertainment is varied and there are several different things per night, as well as karaoke several nights per week.

The wi fi is $20/ week and did not always work for me and a few other people. However, being charged for internet is quite normal; the price is less than usual, perhaps because you have to go to the lobby. The safe was a $2 per day fee. The little gift shop and snack store prices were just terrible, but this is also typical! The food was so abundant that I felt no need of snacks and had there been a need for light drugstore shopping, the stuff at least was there.

The spa is overpriced, as they all are, and the staff are nice but not trained to the level we have in North America. You'd be doing it just for the fun of it.

The food was occasionally go-back-for-more good. It was hot and had a large variety, much more than other resorts that were actually bigger. the vegetables were actually not watery and they did cool things with tropical vegs and fruits that were new to me.The a la carte restaurants were rather unremarkable, and with less variety than the buffet, so the buffet is where I gravitated to after a while. Some nights/ restaurants were dinner dress-up, but not all of them, so you always had a choice. There were no lineups for tables. Staff was on the ball. the lobby has gleaming espresso/cappuchino machines to serve yourself, which is better than every other place where you have to wait for the bartender to do that.

There was no lack of beach lounger chairs either - more than enough are provided (how often do you see that in a resort??) and there were many many palapas, thank heavens. it was not crowded; the hotel may not have been at full occupancy, but an effort has certainly gone to have more chairs than I have seen at any resort, Sandals included.

The ocean is turquoise and glorious and the sand is white and clean; the Bavaro beach is classy. The beach bar could have used another guy to serve, though, so get two drinks while you're there. The fun staff had games and exercises and dance classes and there were parrots, cockatiels and monkeys to take pictures with. You could keep busy if you wanted to.

The air conditioner is patchy in the older unrenovated rooms. I had to switch rooms due to this. the reno'd rooms are apparently fine for AC. Ask for unit 4 or 5 for reno'd rooms, third floor if you want ocean view (which includes pool and gardens, all the best stuff). There is no elevator, so my legs got a workout every day and upon arrival my suitcase was taken up by a guy. The balcony is large and has a towel rack, which i found unusual and very welcome.

THE CATS ARE IN FINE SHAPE, something i wanted to emphasize, not underfed and have no itchies or injuries. I canNOT STAND resorts that have starving tottering kitties who beg pitifully for food, on their tiny shaking legs. The cats here are properly managed and all are happy and well and a reasonable size. I would give the resort a whole extra star for not being horrible cat owners. They don't want the cats fed, but somehow they must be managing the population properly; there are not too many. OTHER RESORTS, GET YOUR PITEOUS CAT SITUATION UNDER CONTROL.

The market (just down the beach 5 mins) is a shouting mess of guys lying to you and the same stuff in every stall, mostly low quality and it was really annoying. They will waste your time rather than answer a question in case you go elsewhere. The prices they charge are approx 3X what they are actually willing to accept.Then they will ask for another dollar 'for the children'. Once you have your money out, you're going to figure why not, so brace yourself for that.

The small size combined with full services makes this a resort I would be happy to repeat. I really like that it is so close to the airport and that the beach is not rocky. I find the good happy cat situation a factor even over the really quite good food.

Room Tip: units 4 and 5 have been renovated very well. 4 is closer to the lobby and just as close to the beach...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled solo
4 Thank Heather M
Dear customer,

We are so grateful for sharing with us on trip advisor your kind opinion about your stay in our Vik hotel Arena Blanca!

We are so glad to know you liked our hotel, the services and facilities, especially the attention provided by our staff. We look forward to see you here for one more time.

Cordially,

Halifax, Canada
Reviewed 13 May 2014

I went on a family vacation with 18 family members ...we flew out of Halifax Nova Scotia and had a wonderful trip..nice clean pools..a beautiful beach ..wonderful restaurants...night shows .I looked on the map of the resort before I went so that I would become familiar with surroundings and buildings...everything is close so with 19 of us counting me we always ran into one another .we had our pictures taken with a snake..monkeys and parrots..at a low fee..beautiful shops just down the beach..although some of the vendors were overwhelming wanting you to buy their things..we did not take any excursions just enjoyed the wonderful resort and what it had to offer..we had awesome family shots taken by a photographer which we will treasure...all in all I would recommend this resort to anyone wanting a clean.everything at your fingertips kinda resort..you surely get your moneys worth..!! ENJOY !!

Room Tip: Our room was clean .comfortable and cozy so we were happy ..I guess if you feel yours is not try to...
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank peacock24
Reviewed 11 May 2014

When we arrived at the hotel, the gentleman at the counter, George was very nice; can't say the same for the rest of the staff in the reception area. We found that the only really nice staff there were the cleaning staff.
We knew before going to this resort that WiFi was only available in the lobby area; what we didn't know was that you had to pay for it. If I have to pay for it, I expect to be able to get WiFi in my room. Also, you have to pay to utilize the safe in your room. They remove the mechanism from the lock and you can only get it when you pay for the safe..Unbelievable.
There was a small fridge in our room but only stocked with water. If you wanted other items in your fridge, you have to prepay for a package.
The air conditioner barely worked. The lowest our room temperature got was 23 degrees. If you like a hard mattress and you will love the bed.
We paid for an oceanview room. Now, whenever we have purchased an oceanview room, we were not disappointed; we has a sliver view of the ocean and full view of the pool.
The food is terrible. The fruit is dried out, the food is the same every night and is obvious that it is recycled.
The beach is wonderful but crowded. You can barely move and you can literally reach out and touch someone.
We would strongly advise that you do not go to the casino next door. The casino is part of Ocean resort and is a great place to lose your money. The slot machines must be about 20 years old and don't pay out. Stay away from the Blackjack table. The cards look like they haven't been replaced in years and the dealers either, don't know what they are doing or are cheating..I choose the latter.
There is no night time entertainment. The entertainment is geared toward the children and there is nothing for adults. It was boring at night. There was alot of children at the resort and relaxing in the pool or whirlpool was not an option. We love kids but sometimes you need a break.
If you do go with your kids, buy snacks to take with you. The on site store it outrageously priced for snacks..ex. a Pringle's sized container of peanuts is $18 US; chips - $12 US. There's a limited amount of snacks to buy..not much to choose from.
We ended up buying a vacation package from the adjoining hotel, Cayena Beach Resort. They made our trip so great. We were invited to dinners, entertainment, excursions. The staff was remarkably friendly and helpful.

Room Tip: Air conditioning seems to be a problem in the rooms throughout the resort.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
6 Thank C S
VHAB, Director de Relaciones Públicas at VIK Hotel Arena Blanca, responded to this review, 4 July 2014
Dear customer,

First, we want to thank you for selecting our Vik hotel Arena Blanca for the enjoyment of your holidays, also for sharing with us on this media your vacation experience.

We regret that our hotel was not what you expected, and we want to apologize for the wrong attitude that some of our employees could have had, assisting you. We hope you visit again our Vik hotel Arena Blanca to spend and unforgettable stay and better than the previous one.

Warm regards from Punta Cana,

Grande Prairie
Reviewed 9 May 2014

Just got back from a week at the Arena Blanca in Punta Cana, older hotel but nice Dominican charm. Our room has a great view of the ocean but needed to be renovated, quite old and our a/c didn't work great (26C) at night in our room! The pool is a wonderful size and we always managed to find chairs some where around it. The beach and water was really nice, a little hard to get shade at the beach some days (busy) but they do have a lot of palapas. Only biggest thing lacking we found was the food. The buffet has a lot of choices but seem to be the same things everyday-night (or things really close to the same!) Also, the beach snack bar wasn't stock most of the time, they always seemed to have burgers and hotdogs, but the fries and pizza were always empty. Wifi at this hotel is awful, they make you pay for it, and it only works at the lobby and only when it wants too, we were four people and were lucky if one of us could get on once a night. We didn't have a good experience with the reception staff, either when we checked in and when we asked about something else (not smiles or pleasantries). But the wait staff and cleaning staff were amazing, very pleasant and fun to talk to. All in all, would go back to Punta Cana but maybe not this resort

Room Tip: We where in Building 5, older but nice view of ocean
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
4 Thank kuschmin
New Cumberland, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 9 May 2014

We stayed here April 27-May 1 through the Apple Vacations deal, which was a fantastic value. We weren't expecting much with this resort, after reading the reviews. But, it exceeded our expectations! We went to relax on the beach and get away from it all, so the Arena Blanca was perfect for that. It was our first time to the DR and first experience staying at an all-inclusive.

We arrived on a Sunday. Turns out, according to the front desk, it was the busiest check-in day of the last year. It look about 4+ hours to get our room in building 4. Some folks were really impatient and agitated that it was taking so long, but we took it in stride. Walked around and had a few beers to pass the time.

Finally got our room but it had two double beds. The next night, we got moved to a another room in building 4 with a king bed. The new room had a much bigger bathroom, which was nice. Craftsmanship in these renovated rooms is subpar, but that's ok. Most of our time was spent outside of the room anyway, so not a big deal.

A few other notes and observations:

- It took us the better part of the day to figure out the restaurants and where things were. They tell you to wear pants and shoes at dinner (for guys), but we saw people in flip flops/sandals. No one was wearing shorts, though.
- We brought along some Tervis Tumblers for our drinks. Definitely bring a cup/mug instead of using their 8 oz. plastic ones.
- We ate at the a la carte restaurants each night for dinner (international, Italian (2 times), Mexican). The dinner buffet did not look good at all. We enjoyed our meals very much. Takes some time to get served but we were in no rush.
- The beach is beautiful. We got up early to reserve a good spot. This is mostly a European resort with very few Americans - which we liked! (read: obnoxious, drunk Americans were nowhere to be found) Expect some topless beach-goers. No big deal, just something to be aware of.
- We walked up and down the beach in both directions - very scenic! Arena Blanca's chairs are closest to the water by far! We also frequented the "shops" a few times for some souvenirs. Make sure you bargain with the shop owners.
- We drank the coffee and espresso from the machines in the lobby after breakfast, much better than the watered-down stuff at the buffet.
- We ate omelets from the omelet guy every morning. Again, everything else at the breakfast buffet did not look that good. But others seems perfectly content with their selections.
- For lunch, we ate pizza or chicken or fries or hot dogs from the building close to the beach.
- The internet is very spotty in the lobby. Had to reconnect a dozen times during each session. Pretty annoying. We paid $20 for a week of internet service (limited to the lobby and surrounding area).
- Lots of smokers at the resort, but that didn't bother us too much.

We kept wondering where people were at night. Do people turn in early and stay in their rooms after dinner? Not a whole lot going on with the nightlife. Some folks seemed to enjoy the shows. We liked the beach party the best.

All in all, a great trip to Punta Cana and the Arena Blanca! This resort isn't for everyone, but it was great for us.

Room Tip: Building 4, it's renovated.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Jonathan B
Seattle, Washington
Reviewed 8 May 2014

Arrived early and my room was not ready, graciously took their advice and had some lunch/drinks and explored the property. The property is very nice, beautiful and well-kept grounds and beach, easily navigated not large but it doesn’t feel small and cramped either. All the employees I interacted with during my stay were very nice and accommodating, never had a problem communicating with them in English and the little Spanish I could muster up. Even the guys trying to sell stuff were nice, a firm but polite no and that is that.
The room was good, I was on the second floor of building 4 on the backside so I had a partial view of the water. I don’t think the AC worked properly and the room had a smell (typical of the Caribbean) this is not something I brought to the attention of the hotel, I just opened the sliding glass door each morning for a couple hours and it took care of it. My room was cleaned every day and the housekeeper/s did a great job, fresh towels, water and a new bedding make/design each day.
The buffet was standard of an all-inclusive, they do have their daily staples but I also thought there was a good selection of something new each day however the desserts were not good in my opinion. Loved that no reservations were needed at the restaurants, no wait either, I ate at the Seafood and Mexican restaurants, enjoyed the Seafood more. The pizza/burger/fries joint next to the pool and the late night sandwich/soup set up by the Calypso bar came in handy between dinning hours.
I never had a problem finding a place to park it, whether it be on the beach, pool side or in the lobby/courtyard area. The shopping on the beach to the left of the hotel is a riot, bring your game face!
I had a friend come visit me on the property for a day, day passes can be purchased for $50 and they are good from 10am – 6pm. Enjoyed a massage/facial service in the Spa, much needed after a couple days in the sun. Internet was good, bought the week pass and only had a problem with connecting one night.
My only compliant would be that I needed to stay an extra day, the hotel accommodated my request no problem …but for a price, almost double!! I booked on their website (not a third party) and they didn’t honor my original rate, the suggestion given to me by the front desk staff was to book on their website to receive my original rate. Hotel rates can change daily and I doubt it would have been the same as when I booked 2mnths in advance, having worked at a 4 star hotel front desk before it was a little shocking to me, this is something we would have never done to one of our guests. Again I graciously accepted this and paid for it, I know that different companies have different policies but as the hospitality industry they should really be more mindful of situations like this.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled solo