“2nd time as good as the first, maybe a little better”

VIK Hotel Arena Blanca
Ranked #76 of 112 Hotels in Punta Cana
Cleburne, Texas
“2nd time as good as the first, maybe a little better”
Reviewed 15 May 2014

We enjoyed another week here. They seemed to be trying to make small improvements; more drink choices, a Mexican restaurant, increased security on the beaches (which helped keep the vendors away) and periodic phone calls asking if everything was going well.
We had a problem with our first room because the door wouldn't lock, but we were promptly given another one.
Everyone was very friendly and you were always greeted with an "hola".
We would definitely return here in the future.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
6 Thank mattmandy
VHAB, Director de Relaciones Públicas at VIK Hotel Arena Blanca, responded to this review, 30 May 2014
Dear client,

Thank you so much for sharing on tripadvisor your kind opinion about your recent visit in our Vik hotel Arena Blanca! We are very glad to know you really enjoyed your stay with us. We hope to see you soon.

Cordially,
VIK hotel Arena Blanca

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (469)
  • Czech first
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
Slippery Rock, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 15 May 2014

Would not go there again. The room smelled like it had just been fumigated and no screen on the sliding door so we couldn't get any fresh air without having bugs fly in. The air conditioning did not work and we did notify the desk but nothing was done about it. The bathroom was very dark but that's really not that important. The situation with the beach loungers was crazy. Either have more of the "shelters" or have some type of sign in for them so that everyone can use one at least once. Also be careful of your belongings on the beach. My husband had a shirt stolen. The food was good and the staff were all courteous and helpful. The grounds are beautiful. So many beautiful things about Punta Cana and I would return but I'd go to a different resort.

Room Tip: Try to get a room where the air conditioning works if there are any.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Northerner2014
VHAB, Director de Relaciones Públicas at VIK Hotel Arena Blanca, responded to this review, 4 July 2014
Dear guest,

Thank you for sharing with us your vacation experience in our Vik hotel Arena Blanca! We appreciate your positive comments about our food and the staff.
We want to apologize for the inconvenience you mentioned happened during your stay with us. We are very regretful that our hotel wasn’t of your full expectations.
Thanks for visiting us!

Travellers are raving about these Punta Cana hotels

Niagara
Reviewed 14 May 2014

First off it is your vacation, if you let every thing wrong bring you down it's your fault . The Vic is a nice size resort and grounds are kept tidy and clean . The rooms ( ones we stayed in ) were some what dated but clean and comfortable . Pool has no swim up bar but it is clean and refreshing . The beach is Bavaro beach so its white sand and palm trees what else were we expecting ?? Early risers get the lounges but be respectful to your fellow travellers if you are not using your lounge DONT leave your towel on it !!! Bars are a little "serve your self " for me
but it wasn't a deal breaker . Food was pretty good . Beer was cold ( self serve ) so no complaints there . Gents in the morning are a little over the top on the pressure of "free VIP breakfast on the way to the buffet ( time share thing ) Shows are OK except the gymnast
show ( sorry can't remember proper name ) it was very good ! Magic show appears to be
a lame duck BUT rolls itself into a excellent Magic Show, very impressed and surprised . Your vacation is what you make it , you will find things at the Vic you won't like but there is definitely enough to like to make a good vacation .

Room Tip: Get an updated room !
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
5 Thank caramarNiagara
Dear client,

Thank you for selecting our Vik hotel Arena Blanca for the enjoyment of your holidays! Also for sharing with us on this media your vacation experience.

It delighted us to know that you really enjoyed your holidays and we will be very happy to give you a warm welcome one more time, here in your Vik hotel Arena Blanca.

Best regards from Punta Cana,

orlando
Reviewed 14 May 2014

I just returned a few days ago from this resort. First of all, I currently am writing my complaints to Apple Vacations, because what I thought I booked and what we received were two different things. I had all intentions of staying at the Cayena side, but we were booked at the VIK Arena Blanca. So things were not off to a great start… But, this review is about the VIK AB and not my feelings towards Apple :)
We arrived around 1:30, check in was ok, room wasn’t ready (I hadn’t expected it to be), we were asked to wait 15 and they would find one available. As told, 15 later, we were shown our room in Block 4. Nothing to write home about here, it had a poolside view and the room itself I would describe as “it will do”. The oddest thing was the door to the bathroom has windows, as if it was made for a back porch. Completely not private! We hung up a towel and solved that issue. There is a flat screen tv with plenty of channels, a dresser, a fridge with a few bottles of water, 7Up and Pepsi. Again, nothing spectacular to note. The beds are firm, but I find this is the norm pretty much anywhere in the Caribbean. The pillows felt like they were stuffed with cotton balls. No problem with the air cooling, but we were never able to adjust it. Sometimes I wanted it off for a while, but no go. Phone to call lobby worked as well.
The pool area was pretty big. It was sort of “divided” into two separate areas. The one closest to the beach was a little livelier, as the animation team hung out there, although the one in the back wasn’t completely shut off from the noise. The hot tub was ice cold. Loungers around the pool were always available, except the ones with the palapa/shade. The Towel Club membership was at a high here (you know, the people who reserve loungers at the crack of dawn). Most times, those loungers sat empty, save for the towel, all day long. It is completely aggravating and is stated it is not tolerated, however it is not enforced.
The beach was very nice. There were many loungers here, too. And of course, this is where the Towel Club was in full effect. We were at the beach most mornings at 7am, and not to reserve a spot, but to actually use it. It was almost completely reserved (the loungers with the shade). It was really infuriating. The water was the perfect temp. It has some waves, as it was always a little breezy. Only complaint here is the way some of the guests treat the beach. No common courtesy to stack used cups; no let’s just toss them in the sand. Ashtray? Why we will just use the sand!! When the guests act like this, there is only so much the groundskeepers can do in a day.
And, here’s where my review takes a turn. The timeshare people for lack of a better word here were relentless. Oh my, they were the worst I have ever encountered. One morning, my husband went for a walk and later I see him down a ways swimming. I thought he got hot and went in. Later I found out he went in to get away from this one timeshare guy, only to have him wait until he got out! He wouldn’t leave us alone. Seriously, every hour he’d be back with the same speale! We weren’t interested, never appeared to be and he just wouldn’t stop. It was beyond annoying. The vendors/hair braiders/parasailing people were not too bad. A simple “No Gracias” and they didn’t bother you.
The food. Oh deer, I am sorry, but all the reviews about the awful food – they are spot on. Look, feel free to read my other reviews, and you will see I always find something to eat and I am not just being picky. Seriously, I was at a completely loss here. I don’t need a place where Emeril is, but I certainly don’t want a place where Chef Ramsey needs to make an appearance, but folks this was it. There was a previous reviewer who mentioned the snack bar and the hot dogs and hamburgers just sitting in grease. Completely true. The fries were always cold. The pizza. Ugh, pizza Is one of my favorite foods – and IF you could find it fresh out the oven, it was passable. (it got to the point where we’d coordinate trips to the bathroom, room, etc, around checking to see if a fresh pie came out!!). Well, the one day, I grabbed a few slices, I go to take a bite and something is off – I look and my slice has a shimmer to it. Upon further inspection – it was fish. WTH? Yes, they put fish on the pizza. Doesn’t end there folks, pizza also came garnished with corn and peas. We ate at the buffet for the rest of the meals. In all fairness, I did find one thing I went for seconds. Our first night there was some eggplant parm, and it was tasty. It was almost comical towards the end, I would try a little of everything, and I just couldn’t find anything to eat. Even breakfast! The omelets were ok, save for that weird bacon, but all the toast was stale! Even a pass in the toaster couldn’t salvage it. And things always had a way of returning to breakfast. Beef stew? In what country do you have beef stew for breakfast? OJ was Tang. Coffee was decent. I cannot stress how bad it was. My daughter would smuggle food out to feed the stray cat and her kittens, and they wouldn’t even touch some of it.
The drinks. I prefer beer but occasionally I like to have a mixed one. Oh no. Awful. Every drink I tried was a complete let down. Mojito with dried pieces of mint, even a basic vodka and sprite tasted nasty!! I stuck to my Bubba Mug and Presidente, which was never a problem for them to fill. I think actually the beachside bartender preferred it that way; poor guy was severely overworked and it was only him!
The grounds need some serious help. Sit on a lounger poolside and take a good look around. You will see straw wrappers, matchbooks, tossed cups, etc. Most of the plants looked dead and/or on the way to being dead. The hotel could definitely use a fresh coat of paint! Most of the time, the trash cans were overflowing, ashtrays completely full. After day 2, I didn’t allow my daughter to swim in the pool. I can only describe it as the pool “threw up”. All of this stuff was floating back into the pool – and it was downright gnarly. Someone eventually skimmed it out, but never fixed the problem so it occurred every late afternoon. I’d say 1 out of 4 loungers were broken.
We bought an hour of the internet, worked fine in the lobby and the tables around the lobby area down below, no problem with that.
The towel guy- geez sometimes at 10am, he was closed. I hardly think that is an unreasonable time to be open. Half the time when he was open, there weren’t any towels. I don’t know about you, but I like a fresh towel to start off the day!!!
Some positive things: The beach aerobics was a riot to watch. The Karaoke by the lobby was entertaining. Oh, and the cappuccino machines in the lobby were pretty good! Housekeeping did a decent job.
To sum it up here, I can’t recommend this hotel. I can completely overlook the small things, but when it comes to food, I have to eat. I was hungry the whole time, and even when I did eat, it was just a letdown. Don’t get me wrong, my family and I had a great time. We spent days on the beach swimming and laughing together. We made the best of what we could with what we had. Would I be back to the DR, you bet! The VIK? NO! Actually H*&& NO!! Do yourself a favor, if you are on the fence and haven’t booked, go elsewhere! If you have booked, just make the best out of it. Any questions, feel free to email me I will try my best to answer!!!

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
9 Thank jaxinorlando
Dear client,

Thank you so much for selecting our Vik hotel Arena Blanca for the enjoyment of your holidays, also for sharing with us your vacation experience on tripadvisor.
In our effort to continuously improve the quality of our services and facilities, we put our greatest interest and value in our guest’s opinion. We regret that our hotel was not what you expected, please accept our apologies for the experience during your visit and any inconveniences that this may have caused. Thank you so much for bringing these things to our attention so that we can continually improve our service.

new york
Reviewed 14 May 2014

So I stayed at the VIK Hotel Arena Blanca in Punta Cana. I stayed from 5/8/14 to 5/12/14, and after reading all the negative reviews- I was pleasantly surprised! My only complaint would be that my room wasn't ready at the 3pm check-in time, it was ready at 4pm. But no worries- after all, I AM in the Caribbean and not going to flip out over something so silly- I decided to go check out the beach and resort and when I got back an hour later- I made it to my room- room 4101 in building 4. The call it a "garden view" but I actually could also see the pool and beach if I just looked to the left. Room was great- clean, great shower, flat screen TV, bottles of water, nice beds. I loved this resort- great beach, staff is excellent and super-friendly. I don't understand how people in their reviews say the staff was rude- I found the exact opposite!- a simple "hola" from me was all it took for a big smile from them and an enthusiastic "hola" right back! The burgers were really good, they're available every day. Food in all the restaurants and the buffet was delicious! The grounds are so pretty and well taken care of. The vendor "David" by the pool was soo nice and gave me some great deals on a ton of jewelry I brought back as souveniers for my friends. Met people from all over the world at this resort- The US, Canada, France, England, Germany, Spain- I really loved it. I would definitely stay here again!!

Room Tip: Go for building 4 if you can- rooms are great and building is close to the pools and beach, making i...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled solo
3 Thank razzoNewYork
Dear client,

Thank you for selecting our Vik hotel Arena Blanca!
It pleased us to know that you enjoyed your holidays with us and you really liked the attention of our staff. We want to thank you for sharing your positive opinion on trip advisor. It will be a great pleasure for us welcomes you in the future for one more time.

Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada
Reviewed 13 May 2014

This hotel had fewer issues than many I have been to, overall leading me to be pleased enough to want to come back. Soon! It was one of the better ones for sure! I had a smile on my face for most of the trip, just from the peace and the breezes and the convenience of so much so close.

I loved how small and compact it is, with only a few minutes' walk in any direction getting you to the beach. The pool is beyond clean!! The grounds are swept and gardened continuously and the place abounds with flowers and sculpted trees. Then lobby is well maintained too, and the reception staff speaks reasonable English. the lobby has blowing breezes going through it and is delightful. The nightly entertainment is varied and there are several different things per night, as well as karaoke several nights per week.

The wi fi is $20/ week and did not always work for me and a few other people. However, being charged for internet is quite normal; the price is less than usual, perhaps because you have to go to the lobby. The safe was a $2 per day fee. The little gift shop and snack store prices were just terrible, but this is also typical! The food was so abundant that I felt no need of snacks and had there been a need for light drugstore shopping, the stuff at least was there.

The spa is overpriced, as they all are, and the staff are nice but not trained to the level we have in North America. You'd be doing it just for the fun of it.

The food was occasionally go-back-for-more good. It was hot and had a large variety, much more than other resorts that were actually bigger. the vegetables were actually not watery and they did cool things with tropical vegs and fruits that were new to me.The a la carte restaurants were rather unremarkable, and with less variety than the buffet, so the buffet is where I gravitated to after a while. Some nights/ restaurants were dinner dress-up, but not all of them, so you always had a choice. There were no lineups for tables. Staff was on the ball. the lobby has gleaming espresso/cappuchino machines to serve yourself, which is better than every other place where you have to wait for the bartender to do that.

There was no lack of beach lounger chairs either - more than enough are provided (how often do you see that in a resort??) and there were many many palapas, thank heavens. it was not crowded; the hotel may not have been at full occupancy, but an effort has certainly gone to have more chairs than I have seen at any resort, Sandals included.

The ocean is turquoise and glorious and the sand is white and clean; the Bavaro beach is classy. The beach bar could have used another guy to serve, though, so get two drinks while you're there. The fun staff had games and exercises and dance classes and there were parrots, cockatiels and monkeys to take pictures with. You could keep busy if you wanted to.

The air conditioner is patchy in the older unrenovated rooms. I had to switch rooms due to this. the reno'd rooms are apparently fine for AC. Ask for unit 4 or 5 for reno'd rooms, third floor if you want ocean view (which includes pool and gardens, all the best stuff). There is no elevator, so my legs got a workout every day and upon arrival my suitcase was taken up by a guy. The balcony is large and has a towel rack, which i found unusual and very welcome.

THE CATS ARE IN FINE SHAPE, something i wanted to emphasize, not underfed and have no itchies or injuries. I canNOT STAND resorts that have starving tottering kitties who beg pitifully for food, on their tiny shaking legs. The cats here are properly managed and all are happy and well and a reasonable size. I would give the resort a whole extra star for not being horrible cat owners. They don't want the cats fed, but somehow they must be managing the population properly; there are not too many. OTHER RESORTS, GET YOUR PITEOUS CAT SITUATION UNDER CONTROL.

The market (just down the beach 5 mins) is a shouting mess of guys lying to you and the same stuff in every stall, mostly low quality and it was really annoying. They will waste your time rather than answer a question in case you go elsewhere. The prices they charge are approx 3X what they are actually willing to accept.Then they will ask for another dollar 'for the children'. Once you have your money out, you're going to figure why not, so brace yourself for that.

The small size combined with full services makes this a resort I would be happy to repeat. I really like that it is so close to the airport and that the beach is not rocky. I find the good happy cat situation a factor even over the really quite good food.

Room Tip: units 4 and 5 have been renovated very well. 4 is closer to the lobby and just as close to the beach...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled solo
4 Thank Heather M
Dear customer,

We are so grateful for sharing with us on trip advisor your kind opinion about your stay in our Vik hotel Arena Blanca!

We are so glad to know you liked our hotel, the services and facilities, especially the attention provided by our staff. We look forward to see you here for one more time.

Cordially,

Halifax, Canada
Reviewed 13 May 2014

I went on a family vacation with 18 family members ...we flew out of Halifax Nova Scotia and had a wonderful trip..nice clean pools..a beautiful beach ..wonderful restaurants...night shows .I looked on the map of the resort before I went so that I would become familiar with surroundings and buildings...everything is close so with 19 of us counting me we always ran into one another .we had our pictures taken with a snake..monkeys and parrots..at a low fee..beautiful shops just down the beach..although some of the vendors were overwhelming wanting you to buy their things..we did not take any excursions just enjoyed the wonderful resort and what it had to offer..we had awesome family shots taken by a photographer which we will treasure...all in all I would recommend this resort to anyone wanting a clean.everything at your fingertips kinda resort..you surely get your moneys worth..!! ENJOY !!

Room Tip: Our room was clean .comfortable and cozy so we were happy ..I guess if you feel yours is not try to...
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled with family