“Fantastic Hotel and trip of our lifes”

VIK Hotel Arena Blanca
Ranked #75 of 112 Hotels in Punta Cana
Reviewed 19 May 2014

Hi everyone. At first I have to say that we travel a lot with my wife and I am working as a manager in hotel business as a manager and my wife also. Vik Arena Blanca is an amazing place with breath taking public areas. Always kept very clean. Any time you ask green keepers and gardeners they can get you a fresh coco nut from a beautiful palm tree, they will open it for you and stick a straw so you can drink it. Hotel is situated 30 min from the Punta Cana Airport but drive in air conditioned taxi is a pleasure. Reception desk is placed under lovely roof made from palm tree leaves (that gives a real feeling that you are in Dominican Republic) and if you are looking for luxury modern hotel you can check in to Cayene Beach Club (same hotel but next door 5* service). Vik Arena itself is one of a kind. We got a room 3018. Shortly before refurbishment but still good. Anyway what do you need thou to stay in the country with 36*C? Only bed and shower with well air conditioned rooms and that's what we got. Modern LCD TV with great choice of channels (didn't watch it :) ) Large fan over bed, Aircon set for 22*C so you won't get sick from setting it below allowed healthy temperature. Beds are soooo comfortable. Balcony opening wide and with fantastic view on palm trees and garden. Everything near by. Restaurant and swimming pool just around the corner and beach 50m. Selection of 4 restaurants and food being served literally 20 hours a day. Main Bar beside swimming pool serving drinks from 10 am, Beach bar the same, Calypso bar from 8 pm and nite club until 4 am. ENOUGH! :) selection of food for breakfast in main Mirador restaurant is great. Breakfast - freshly squeezed juices (Water melon, Pineapple, Mango, Papaya) and on the buffet other juices. Full English, Irish, European and Dominican breakfasts with cacao, and selection of different salads and meats. 8 different breads and 2 stations with freshly cooked breakfast (omelettes etc) Restaurants are wide open under the roof. Bar beside the pool serving delicious pizzas, burgers and hot dogs nearly whole day. Lunch is served in Mirador and Pool restaurant. different selection, same dinner. A la carte Restaurant have limited choice but it is a nice treat with nice service. Staff really kind. Jorhe in Reception very funny guy :) 2 or 3 of the young girls still learning the profession and perhaps didn't get it yet and not smiling much but they are a waitresses who usually collecting the glasses. Rest of the staff really polite and helpful. Tips are advised as staff deserves it :) Beach is the quietest in whole Bavaro. We did a 5 km walk to the left from the hotel and seen all the Crowdy beaches with kids screaming, music playing lowed etc. Here in Vik Arena they have part of the beach called quiet and it is actually quiet :) only noise you can here is from motor boats but they are everywhere and you can't avoid them in such a country. Snorkling - not much fish at this area but you can always get an Excursion. So beach is fantastic with white sand and also very clean. As we are talking about the sales men - they are in every poor country but if you are nice to them and tell them - 'listen dude, sorry but I have already sun glasses and I have been on all excursions but maybe next time next year' with a big smile on your face and joke with them, they will leave you in peace and won't interrupt you. Remember, they are trying to earn the money same as you. Different job but they have to do it... Try to understand those people and they will defo be nice to you. If you ever consider bad reviews here about this hotel you should go to Egypt where most of the staff begging you for tips and sales man nearly killing you. You can't talk to them as they will stick items in your hand and tell you to pay right away even if you don't need it. DOMINICAN REPUBLIC PEOPLE ARE DIFFERENT! THEY ARE LOVELY! So in general Hotel is really nice and with positive vibe. Night entertainment could be better but animation group is doing their best and it is not as bad as some people say. I've see hotels with only German or with no other languages. This one translates most to English, German, Spanish, French. Coffee is the best in Lobby, Daniel the guy from towel booth is really kind and funny. Same as the head of Animators, Mr. Oskey as we called him. :) Great family hotel, fantastic couple hotel. Great value for money with Dominican Vibe. Seen loads of hotels there but non made us feel so good. Highly Recommending it. If you need any photos or info please ask me in private. Will be back next year, If you need any more tips or photos just email me. Ldmedia.ie@gmail.com

Room Tip: Ask for a room after refurbishment (freshly painted with new aircon panel, rest is the same) also as...
9  Thank Luke D
Write a ReviewReviews (3,411)

Reviewed 18 May 2014

The Vik areana blanca is kept very clean. There are signs that the hotel was once a much better hotel for example doors need repainting and the bathrooms could do the touching up and some fixings replacing despite this there is nothing specificly wrong and I very much enjoyed my stay. The buffet resteraunt is very good with a wide seletion of choices and new items everyday. The al la carte resteraunts however are not as good (the food is beautifully cooked but there isnt a lot of choice)and dont seem able to cope begin even half full. The pool is great (a good temperature, not over clorinated and cleaned every morning ) the beaches are also clean and fab!
There is one problem though, you can get snorkel masks from the dive school and there some good coral and great fish to see. While I was there the speed boats were crossing the swimming area only 15 to 20 meters from the beach and I felt in danger the whole time. An area for swimming has been roped of but it does NOT include any coral areas so now there is very little fish to fish see this is great shame.
Outside the resteraunt and by the pool are time share salesmen and vendors who will pester you everyday and it seems won't give up until you have been forced to be quite blunt/rude.
The activies and entertainment in the hotel are mainly aimed at french speakers and are lacking far behind ANY other hotel I have ever been to.
The staff were mostly friendly and helpful except for a couple on reception.
The dive school needs to be advertised more.

3  Thank trulie g
VHAB, Director de Relaciones Públicas at VIK Hotel Arena Blanca, responded to this reviewResponded 30 May 2014

Dear guest,

Thank you very much for sharing on this site your positive opinion about our Vik hotel Arena Blanca. We are very happy to know that you enjoyed your holidays with us and we hope you visit again our Vik hotel Arena Blanca! For us is a great pleasure receiving repeat guests.
Once again, thank you for your comments!

Reviewed 16 May 2014

We had a great time at VIK Arena Blanca in May 2014. One thing we noticed right away was the upkeep. There were regularly staff members raking flowers, cleaning the pool, sweeping, etc. It was nice to see. The pool was nice with lots of spots for shade under a thatched roof cabana, and the beach was excellent! We walked the beach and saw other resorts with less desirable beaches, sand, amount of seaweed, condition of lounge chairs, etc. We loved ours. Again, lots of thatched roof cabanas, beach volleyball, bocce ball, and a bar right off the beach.

We were in Building 1, and our room looked out over the road coming into the resort, but we will saw lots of beautiful plants and trees from our room. We had a balcony, but the real gem of the room was the high ceiling with a cooling fan. I highly recommend a 3rd floor room for this reason. Some of the other buildings may be more desirable as they are closer to the beach, but for our purposes, it was perfect, and only 3-4 minute walk to the ocean. I only went to the room to shower and sleep. The bathroom was nice with strong water pressure, and it seemed to be newer.

Food - the buffets gave what you needed, and were fine. There were 2 restaurants - La Trattoria (Italian) and La Estrella del Mar (seafood but it still had other chicken/meat options). La Trattoria was our favorite with GREAT breaded mozzarella and a variety of pasta/meat dish options. The wine was constantly refilled. :)

The only downside for me was the constant pestering from men trying to get you to take the VIP tour of the Cayena VIP portion. They stood outside the buffet and walked around the pool and approached your lounge chairs. We continually told them no and had to hear about their families and the needed commission. It wasn't a huge detriment, but it is something that was bothersome.

I would definitely recommend this place if you are looking for a clean resort with a great beach and pool that isn't overcrowded. We loved it!

Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
7  Thank xtinababaris

Dear client,

We are so happy to know that you really enjoyed your stay with us. Thanks for your positives commentaries; we hope you visit us again.
Thank you again for spending your time writing this comments, and we hope see you soon in your home Vik hotel Arena Blanca!

Kind regards,

Reviewed 15 May 2014

We enjoyed another week here. They seemed to be trying to make small improvements; more drink choices, a Mexican restaurant, increased security on the beaches (which helped keep the vendors away) and periodic phone calls asking if everything was going well.
We had a problem with our first room because the door wouldn't lock, but we were promptly given another one.
Everyone was very friendly and you were always greeted with an "hola".
We would definitely return here in the future.

6  Thank mattmandy

Dear client,

Thank you so much for sharing on tripadvisor your kind opinion about your recent visit in our Vik hotel Arena Blanca! We are very glad to know you really enjoyed your stay with us. We hope to see you soon.

Cordially,

Reviewed 15 May 2014

Would not go there again. The room smelled like it had just been fumigated and no screen on the sliding door so we couldn't get any fresh air without having bugs fly in. The air conditioning did not work and we did notify the desk but nothing was done about it. The bathroom was very dark but that's really not that important. The situation with the beach loungers was crazy. Either have more of the "shelters" or have some type of sign in for them so that everyone can use one at least once. Also be careful of your belongings on the beach. My husband had a shirt stolen. The food was good and the staff were all courteous and helpful. The grounds are beautiful. So many beautiful things about Punta Cana and I would return but I'd go to a different resort.

Room Tip: Try to get a room where the air conditioning works if there are any.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Northerner2014
VHAB, Director de Relaciones Públicas at VIK Hotel Arena Blanca, responded to this reviewResponded 4 July 2014

Dear guest,

Thank you for sharing with us your vacation experience in our Vik hotel Arena Blanca! We appreciate your positive comments about our food and the staff.
We want to apologize for the inconvenience you mentioned happened during your stay with us. We are very regretful that our hotel wasn’t of your full expectations.
Thanks for visiting us!

Reviewed 14 May 2014

First off it is your vacation, if you let every thing wrong bring you down it's your fault . The Vic is a nice size resort and grounds are kept tidy and clean . The rooms ( ones we stayed in ) were some what dated but clean and comfortable . Pool has no swim up bar but it is clean and refreshing . The beach is Bavaro beach so its white sand and palm trees what else were we expecting ?? Early risers get the lounges but be respectful to your fellow travellers if you are not using your lounge DONT leave your towel on it !!! Bars are a little "serve your self " for me
but it wasn't a deal breaker . Food was pretty good . Beer was cold ( self serve ) so no complaints there . Gents in the morning are a little over the top on the pressure of "free VIP breakfast on the way to the buffet ( time share thing ) Shows are OK except the gymnast
show ( sorry can't remember proper name ) it was very good ! Magic show appears to be
a lame duck BUT rolls itself into a excellent Magic Show, very impressed and surprised . Your vacation is what you make it , you will find things at the Vic you won't like but there is definitely enough to like to make a good vacation .

Room Tip: Get an updated room !
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family
5  Thank caramarNiagara

Dear client,

Thank you for selecting our Vik hotel Arena Blanca for the enjoyment of your holidays! Also for sharing with us on this media your vacation experience.

It delighted us to know that you really enjoyed your holidays and we will be very happy to give you a warm welcome one more time, here in your Vik hotel Arena Blanca.

Best regards from Punta Cana,

Reviewed 14 May 2014

I just returned a few days ago from this resort. First of all, I currently am writing my complaints to Apple Vacations, because what I thought I booked and what we received were two different things. I had all intentions of staying at the Cayena side, but we were booked at the VIK Arena Blanca. So things were not off to a great start… But, this review is about the VIK AB and not my feelings towards Apple :)
We arrived around 1:30, check in was ok, room wasn’t ready (I hadn’t expected it to be), we were asked to wait 15 and they would find one available. As told, 15 later, we were shown our room in Block 4. Nothing to write home about here, it had a poolside view and the room itself I would describe as “it will do”. The oddest thing was the door to the bathroom has windows, as if it was made for a back porch. Completely not private! We hung up a towel and solved that issue. There is a flat screen tv with plenty of channels, a dresser, a fridge with a few bottles of water, 7Up and Pepsi. Again, nothing spectacular to note. The beds are firm, but I find this is the norm pretty much anywhere in the Caribbean. The pillows felt like they were stuffed with cotton balls. No problem with the air cooling, but we were never able to adjust it. Sometimes I wanted it off for a while, but no go. Phone to call lobby worked as well.
The pool area was pretty big. It was sort of “divided” into two separate areas. The one closest to the beach was a little livelier, as the animation team hung out there, although the one in the back wasn’t completely shut off from the noise. The hot tub was ice cold. Loungers around the pool were always available, except the ones with the palapa/shade. The Towel Club membership was at a high here (you know, the people who reserve loungers at the crack of dawn). Most times, those loungers sat empty, save for the towel, all day long. It is completely aggravating and is stated it is not tolerated, however it is not enforced.
The beach was very nice. There were many loungers here, too. And of course, this is where the Towel Club was in full effect. We were at the beach most mornings at 7am, and not to reserve a spot, but to actually use it. It was almost completely reserved (the loungers with the shade). It was really infuriating. The water was the perfect temp. It has some waves, as it was always a little breezy. Only complaint here is the way some of the guests treat the beach. No common courtesy to stack used cups; no let’s just toss them in the sand. Ashtray? Why we will just use the sand!! When the guests act like this, there is only so much the groundskeepers can do in a day.
And, here’s where my review takes a turn. The timeshare people for lack of a better word here were relentless. Oh my, they were the worst I have ever encountered. One morning, my husband went for a walk and later I see him down a ways swimming. I thought he got hot and went in. Later I found out he went in to get away from this one timeshare guy, only to have him wait until he got out! He wouldn’t leave us alone. Seriously, every hour he’d be back with the same speale! We weren’t interested, never appeared to be and he just wouldn’t stop. It was beyond annoying. The vendors/hair braiders/parasailing people were not too bad. A simple “No Gracias” and they didn’t bother you.
The food. Oh deer, I am sorry, but all the reviews about the awful food – they are spot on. Look, feel free to read my other reviews, and you will see I always find something to eat and I am not just being picky. Seriously, I was at a completely loss here. I don’t need a place where Emeril is, but I certainly don’t want a place where Chef Ramsey needs to make an appearance, but folks this was it. There was a previous reviewer who mentioned the snack bar and the hot dogs and hamburgers just sitting in grease. Completely true. The fries were always cold. The pizza. Ugh, pizza Is one of my favorite foods – and IF you could find it fresh out the oven, it was passable. (it got to the point where we’d coordinate trips to the bathroom, room, etc, around checking to see if a fresh pie came out!!). Well, the one day, I grabbed a few slices, I go to take a bite and something is off – I look and my slice has a shimmer to it. Upon further inspection – it was fish. WTH? Yes, they put fish on the pizza. Doesn’t end there folks, pizza also came garnished with corn and peas. We ate at the buffet for the rest of the meals. In all fairness, I did find one thing I went for seconds. Our first night there was some eggplant parm, and it was tasty. It was almost comical towards the end, I would try a little of everything, and I just couldn’t find anything to eat. Even breakfast! The omelets were ok, save for that weird bacon, but all the toast was stale! Even a pass in the toaster couldn’t salvage it. And things always had a way of returning to breakfast. Beef stew? In what country do you have beef stew for breakfast? OJ was Tang. Coffee was decent. I cannot stress how bad it was. My daughter would smuggle food out to feed the stray cat and her kittens, and they wouldn’t even touch some of it.
The drinks. I prefer beer but occasionally I like to have a mixed one. Oh no. Awful. Every drink I tried was a complete let down. Mojito with dried pieces of mint, even a basic vodka and sprite tasted nasty!! I stuck to my Bubba Mug and Presidente, which was never a problem for them to fill. I think actually the beachside bartender preferred it that way; poor guy was severely overworked and it was only him!
The grounds need some serious help. Sit on a lounger poolside and take a good look around. You will see straw wrappers, matchbooks, tossed cups, etc. Most of the plants looked dead and/or on the way to being dead. The hotel could definitely use a fresh coat of paint! Most of the time, the trash cans were overflowing, ashtrays completely full. After day 2, I didn’t allow my daughter to swim in the pool. I can only describe it as the pool “threw up”. All of this stuff was floating back into the pool – and it was downright gnarly. Someone eventually skimmed it out, but never fixed the problem so it occurred every late afternoon. I’d say 1 out of 4 loungers were broken.
We bought an hour of the internet, worked fine in the lobby and the tables around the lobby area down below, no problem with that.
The towel guy- geez sometimes at 10am, he was closed. I hardly think that is an unreasonable time to be open. Half the time when he was open, there weren’t any towels. I don’t know about you, but I like a fresh towel to start off the day!!!
Some positive things: The beach aerobics was a riot to watch. The Karaoke by the lobby was entertaining. Oh, and the cappuccino machines in the lobby were pretty good! Housekeeping did a decent job.
To sum it up here, I can’t recommend this hotel. I can completely overlook the small things, but when it comes to food, I have to eat. I was hungry the whole time, and even when I did eat, it was just a letdown. Don’t get me wrong, my family and I had a great time. We spent days on the beach swimming and laughing together. We made the best of what we could with what we had. Would I be back to the DR, you bet! The VIK? NO! Actually H*&& NO!! Do yourself a favor, if you are on the fence and haven’t booked, go elsewhere! If you have booked, just make the best out of it. Any questions, feel free to email me I will try my best to answer!!!

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
9  Thank jaxinorlando

Dear client,

Thank you so much for selecting our Vik hotel Arena Blanca for the enjoyment of your holidays, also for sharing with us your vacation experience on tripadvisor.
In our effort to continuously improve the quality of our services and facilities, we put our greatest interest and value in our guest’s opinion. We regret that our hotel was not what you expected, please accept our apologies for the experience during your visit and any inconveniences that this may have caused. Thank you so much for bringing these things to our attention so that we can continually improve our service.