“seven days on the beach”

VIK Hotel Arena Blanca
Ranked #78 of 114 Hotels in Punta Cana
Reviewed 17 July 2014

Just got back from seven days at Arena Blanca. Over all the trip was ok.The hotel was average can't find a lot to brag about except the beach which was very pretty.
The room was nothing to brag about. We had two double beds no lamps so lighting was poor,very small bathroom only one person at a time could fit.It was ok because we don't spend much time in room anyway.
The property was pretty a lot of flora and palm trees landscape the area. The property is not huge so you can walk and cover the property without problem,which we like don't need to cath a tram to get around. The pool is very nice big enough so you don't feel over crowded and the staff would play different water games which was nice.
The food was ok at best.For the first time in our travels we had a hard time finding something we like at the buffet .We are not picky eaters and can always find something good but this time we found it difficult. There is an Italian and Mexican restaurant which both are very good which we ate at instead of buffet.
The drinks where good. They serve them in small plastic cups but to save many trips to the bar we bought souvenir cups which they would fill. We drank rum and cola and instead of getting bottom shelf rum ask for Ron Bordealo in the square bottle that is the island top rum.Tip the bartenders a couple of dollars and they will take care of you.
The night life was lacking.They would put on a show each night usually a dance routine that would last about an hour or so then after that not much else to do. No bands or anything.If you like to stay out late and listen to music and meet people which we like to do then this might not be the place for you.The resort is more laid back and relaxing which is not a bad thing but is not a party place.
Save the best for last the beach. Very pretty white soft sand with pretty water.There was a lot of huts on the beach to get out of the sun but where always taken.If you wanted to get one you would have to go out the night before or get up very very early to put your stuff out which we tought kinda sucks.
We are from the USA and found very few americans there It is mostly Europeans which is not bad for we meet and made friends with some.My point is if you are American don't expect to see a lot of other americans which at times can be a good thing.
overall we had a good time would I go back to this resort? probably not. woul I go back to the island yes but would stay on the Caribbean side because I think the water is a lot prettier

6  Thank brian j
Write a ReviewReviews (3,484)

Reviewed 16 July 2014

Room was dirty and the service was dad ,from desk was ok,food not to bad.the only good thinks I can't said was the pool and the beach.for my next vacation to D.R I will go another place better,and make sure is 5start

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
5  Thank emily b
Reviewed 16 July 2014

The property was great (beach & pools). I went on this trip with my wife and two children. The staff upgraded our room because we had children, which was a good gesture. The upgrade consisted of an extra bed room for the children with an ocean view. The room itself was very dated. The food was good and the staff always had a smile on their face. Besides the rooms needing upgrades if I had other complaints it would be of the inclusive selection beverages. Initially when I booked the all inclusive I thought everything was included. However, there was a VERY limited amount alcohol to choose from. The last day of our stay we received a letter stating that our room was going to be fumigated, but it was not clear for what.

Room Tip: The corner suites have two bedrooms, which we were upgraded to.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank Pedro B
Reviewed 14 July 2014

Everything about this resort was just okay or less EXCEPT for the beach/pool.

CONS:

-Poor customer service.
-Sexual harassment (went by myself but wore an "engagement ring" and I still got hit on by staffers (front desk, bar tenders, activities staff). It was to the point that I would be blatantly rude and top a conversation/contact from happening.
-Outdated rooms/furnishings. Couldn't adjust the a/c. Fridge never got really cold. Small TV. Didn't feel clean.
-Poor room service. The housekeeper "cleaned" my room in less than 10 minutes, did not give me water one day, did not give me washcloths one day, took two hours from calling the front desk to get towels another day, were irregular with hours that they cleaned the room (one day it was well after noon and another it was like 9am!).
-Hours of food establishments/restaurants were terrible. For an all inclusive I felt hungry way too much.
-Food/choices were not good. I did not have ANY authentic Dominican cuisine while on the property unless it is hotdogs and hamburgers, Italian, and Mexican??????????????
-Drinks were not strong or good besides those in the lobby.
-Never found an ice machine.
-Never found the casino which per the lobby opened at either 6:30pm or 7:00 pm???
-People were transferring to other hotels because it was so dead.
-DO NOT TAKE THE FREE SOUEVINR transfer. They take you to 1 shop in a slum market and the staff was all over me trying to push me to buy stuff. What I did buy was overpriced... MORE THAN THE MINIMARKET ON THE PROPERTY!!!!! This was like by three/five dollars more on certain items.Everything about this resort was just okay or less EXCEPT for the beach/pool.

CONS:

-Poor customer service.
-Drinks were not strong or good besides those in the lobby.
-Never found an ice machine.
-People were transferring to other hotels because it was so dead.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled solo
9  Thank Tika B
VHAB, Director de Relaciones Públicas at VIK Hotel Arena Blanca, responded to this reviewResponded 24 July 2014

Dear client,

Thank you for selecting our Vik hotel Arena Blanca as your vacation destination and more important, for letting us know about your vacation experience,our guest’s comments are very important because they help us to improve our quality services, we appreciate your contribution in this regard.
Please accept our apologies for the inconvenience that you mentioned happened during your stay with us, especially for the wrong attitude with some of our employees.

Reviewed 11 July 2014

The hotel was average. If you are a hotel "snob" like I am, the room is very average. I took my family of 5 down to Punta Cana for a family vacation. I have 2 teen agers and a 10 year old. We booked an All-Inclusive 7 day vacation and it was mostly good. They loved the pool and didn't mind the food at the Italian and Mexican restaurants. The International restaurant wasn't spectacular. The breakfast was decent and Leonardo (omelet chef who fist bumps the tourists) was awesome. Alvaro, restaurant waiter, was amazing too. The service, by far, is the highlight of the resort amenities.
The hotel location to the beach is excellent. We stayed in Building 5 and it is literally 60 feet to the beach, if that. If you stay at the Iberostar (nice hotel) you have a 3 - 4 minute walk from your room to the beach/ocean. Granted the hotel is probably nicer but the convenience to the beach is absent, if you are a beach bum.
I requested two beds in the TWO rooms that we reserved due to the size of our family. When we arrived, there was 2 beds in one room and 1 king bed in the other. I had to go to the front desk to get another bed set up. No problem, though, as they made a phone call and one was set up in a matter of 15 minutes or so.
The entertainment was decent. They had a live band one night (meringue or mariachi type band), a DJ one night playing 70's and 80's music, and a Michael Jackson tribute show (which we missed but others said was really good). The pool side entertainment was fun as well. Overall, the resort people/entertainers worked hard to make sure that everyone was having fun.
Will I go again, probably not, as I want to visit other places. But if you are considering it, I would recommend going because the entertainment and beach/ocean are worth the price. It is a great value for a tropical vacation.
Oh and last but not least, I recommend going on an excursion with Punta Cana Mike (www.puntacanamike.com) it is a trip into the country to visit the lifestyle of the Dominican, as well as the cigar, chocolate, and rum factories. He gives a great tour and the experience is worth the price.

Room Tip: Building 5 is the best for location to the beach.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank BeachTraveler1968

Dear client,

Thank you so much for having preferred our Vik hotel Arena Blanca for the enjoyment of your holidays! Also, for sharing with us thru tripadvisor your vacation experience! We are glad to know that enjoyed your stay with us and especially the service and attention provided by our staff.
Thank you for visiting us!

Cordially,

Reviewed 10 July 2014

I'm not really an unfair person, but I need to tell that the service was bad (4 stars according with the Hotel) not really! that fourth star was taken from another Hotel. Service is bad, the looby employees are all but helpfull, the food was ok (but the restaurants were poor ventilated and cheap) , but the room service is non available, and also they almost try every single day to sell you a membership for the hotel(without a good service). I know that you think maybe this guy is a little hard to please, but if you are reading this; that means you are looking for the truth about this hotel ; well the truth is DON'T DO IT!!!!!!!! if you are looking for something nice and with good service overall

Room Tip: Book the supreme rooms, but dont expect 4 stars rooms
3  Thank HECTOR D

Dear guest,

We appreciate for taking of your time to write this review regarding your stay in our Vik hotel Arena Blanca!
We deeply regret that our hotel was not what you expected. We always take seriously our guest’s comments to improve our services, thank you for your contribution in this regard.

Reviewed 10 July 2014

We were in tower 3 on the ground. Our room faced a small grassy courtyard with palm trees blowing in the breeze. Our room wasn't ready when we first arrived but we were told to enjoy the bar and our luggage was placed to the side with several other sets. We wandered around and ended up at the beach which was very close to the lobby area. We stopped by the snack area and had a few of the best french fries ever and then walked back to the lobby. Our room was ready and the bell hop took our luggage and headed towards our room. The room was cool but a tiny bit stale smelling when we entered. I got used to it rather quickly and it didn't bother me for the rest of the trip. We did figure out that the towels are taken in the morning and they do not bring you fresh ones until around 4 pm. so trade your beach towel for a fresh one if you want a shower. Speaking of showers, the entire bathroom will get a little wet when you shower but they have great water pressure.

The food is good IF you do not have allergies or special needs. I am gluten free and have dairy sensitivity and do not like seafood so basically I ate bacon and french fries as often as possible...not too horrible. Drinks are readily available just about everywhere. We brought our own thermal cups which made our stay much more pleasant.

The pool is nice and the chemicals aren't too strong. There are plenty of cabanas and chairs.

The ocean is dotted with palm topped private cabanas and chairs galore! We were able to find shade each day and it was magnificent. The water is a little choppy and has some seaweed in it but very easy to maneuver in and out of. I am not a great swimmer but had a blast in the water. We did figure out that the watersports place is called Pelican Bay and that is where you borrow the snorkeling gear. I also borrowed a life vest which made my search for fishies super fun. We did spot a bunch of big blueish ones, a few small ones, a long eel looking one and some black and white striped ones right from the beach. Be warned they will try and sell you a snorkeling trip.

There were lots of guys trying to sell excursions, they will bug you every time you go by them near the pool. We ended up haggling and went on a adventure boogie ride. It was super extra fun. We went to the most beautiful beach after riding thru town. We went to a coffee, chocolate, tobacco farm and also to a cavern with a fresh water lake to swim in. Take pesos in change to toss to the little kids along the way! That was the best part for some reason we had a blast high fiving and waiving at them and then it occurred to me to throw the change! They loved it. Take a bandana and sunglasses as it is dusty in some spots. They sell bandanas for $5 there.

They will bug you at the beach to come look at the vip area...basically a time share presentation that they say isn't a time share. We went because I needed a t shirt to run around our room in and didn't really want to buy one.

The only people that we felt the need to tip was the bell hop and the guy who scheduled our buggy ride. We did tip the maids and the servers at the fancy resturant but I don't think it is a regular thing. It really is all inclusive and other than $10 to get into the DR and a few customary tips - pesos in change if you visit town, you really do not need any additional cash to have fun here.

We travel a lot and really loved it here. I would bring my own gf bread and some sweet treats next time but that is not the hotel's fault. Our room was nice but not super fancy. The beds were very comfy and the tv had lots of english choices. The staff is not up your butt friendly but they always smile or say hi. We didn't have any communication issues and if you try out some spanish they are patient with you.

Room Tip: tower 3 is close to the lobby and beach. It is very quiet and if you go out the back and down the s...
6  Thank Dianna B
VHAB, Director de Relaciones Públicas at VIK Hotel Arena Blanca, responded to this reviewResponded 18 July 2014

Dear guest,

We are very grateful for your positive opinion about our Vik hotel Arena Blanca, also for taking a moment of your time to write us your vacation experience!

It delighted us to know that you really enjoyed your holidays with us and we will be very happy to give you a warm welcome one more time, here in your Vik hotel Arena Blanca.

Best regards from Punta Cana,