“horrible service, food and alcohol”

VIK Hotel Arena Blanca
Ranked #74 of 111 Hotels in Punta Cana
“horrible service, food and alcohol”
Reviewed 3 August 2014

Went for a family vacation with 2 other families. Requested building 4 or 5 and got building 3 when we complained they told us we couldn't request which building and that they were all the same (which was a lie).food was horrible alcohol is even worse! No wait staff to bring u drinks by the pool or on the beach. Lines at the bar are forever long like at least 20 minutes?! The restaurants have ridiculous dress codes. I could have handled being in an older room and the bad food (we were able to find something to eat) but when u pay for all inclusive and can't stand the alcohol or beer it's frustrating! Esther in the kids club was great our kids loved her! The nightly shows and disco don't start until really late!

• Stayed July 2014
3 Thank kbadley

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (465)
  • Czech first
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
Newburgh, New York
Reviewed 3 August 2014

My family an I arrived on Saturday July 26, 2014. We were given a room in building 3 that had mold on the air conditioning vents. My daughter has allergies and we felt that it would not be good to stay in that particular room. I explained this to the check in desk employee and he gave me a song and dance. I ended up paying him $90 bucks for a different room and he put us in building 4. The room was clean but the bathroom ceiling was leaking water onto the bathroom sink. This was a nightmare for my wife who thought the water was coming from the bathroom upstairs. I called to complain and after several visits by the maintenance staff over two days the problem turned out to be condensation from the air conditioner. The harassment we received by the numerous excursion salesman was very unsettling. They hounded you at the pool and on the beach. We finally agreed on a dune buggy trip that was a nightmare. 40 minute ride in an open truck to a pavilion where we were greeted by more sales people selling sunglasses and bandannas. We stayed there for another hour waiting to go on the excursion. The dune buggy ride took us on a dirt road to a cave that you had to walk down a stairwell with the promise of swimming in the cave. By the time we climbed down to the water it was time to go back. We were then harassed by shanty shop owners selling junk jewelry. The trip back was on major highways that was so dangerous to my family. Trucks and cars were riding past us at great speeds. What a nightmare! The four hour trip turned out to be 6 1/2 hours and it was not pleasant at all. The room had furniture that was at least 30 years old. The beds were small and very uncomfortable. The food at the buffet was average but I became a vegetarian for the week due to all the fish and meat being over cooked. The staff were very friendly and helpful and the beach and grounds were beautiful. Don't walk around barefoot, as I learned my first day when I got second degree burns on the bottom of my feet and could barely walk for three days. The pool is clean and very large.

Room Tip: building 3, 4 and 5 are close to the pools.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
4 Thank Joe R

Travellers are raving about these Punta Cana hotels

Petaluma, California
Reviewed 2 August 2014 via mobile

My wife and I along with our 5 month old son recently spent 8 days at the VIK. The staff was very friendly, the pool was huge and half of it was usually empty so lots of room to float around. The beach was excellent and had plenty of covered seating without having to try and get out there super early. The food was decent. Nothing spectacular. Stick to basic dinners(lasagna, chicken, fish...) at the restaurants and you should be fine. Breakfast was good and had fresh omelets everyday and the guy making them was awesome. Donuts were also good when hot and fresh. Lunch was mostly the fries, pizza, burgers and dogs station. Serve yourself which was not a problem. Just know that people will cut you off to get to the pizza because it goes quick and comes out slow. Burgers were decent for lunch and the fries were great. We had a family suite and it was a nice room. Nothing fancy but it had everything we could want or need in the room. AC did a good job of keeping our room cool. We just kept the blackout shades drawn during the day to help limit the sunlight when we were out all day. If you are going for the food and amenities this place is not for you. If you are going for the beach and pool you will be happy. Just know that there isn't a swim up bar but there are two bars steps from the pool. One recommendation is get your own thermos type cups as they will keep your beverages cool and they are bigger than the hotel cups so you make less trips to the bar and then you have a souvenir to bring home as well. Overall it was an excellent hotel for the value and we enjoyed our trip very much and I would not hesitate to return in the future.

Stayed July 2014
6 Thank hobbesdog
Denver, Colorado
Reviewed 2 August 2014

I guess my 1st review was rejected. Maybe too long? I'll try again. We were at Blanca for 1 week, July 6th-July 13th. Stayed in Building 3.

Staff: I felt bad for the staff. They were friendly but looked overworked and tired. I guess when you have to deal with multiple languages, it can be stressful. The staff was ok to me but did some other customers lose their temper with the staff.

Rooms: as stated in other reviews, ACs are very outdated and barely work. Average temperature in my room was 75F. Bed was ok. TV was an old 14" tube tv but that didn't bother me for I never turned it on. Loved the bathroom -- very tall shower head. yes!

Food: Average and bland but hey.....it's an all inclusive so don't expect 4 star cuisine.

Pool/Beach: Awesome. Beach and pool was great. Nicely maintained. Note: to get a first row chairs on the beach - you will need to get out there around 6am to save some chairs. yes, you will have people dance for money or buy things but no big deal.

Amenities: It's sad this property "nickel and dime" you. Really? Not only pay for Wifi but only have it in the lobby? Every night the lobby would be full of people using Wifi. Can't sit down (there's usually a nice cool breeze) and the line to the super small bar was long! Also pay for a room safe? I know it's only $2 but still? The night time activities were average. Good dancing groups but after a while, dancing can be so much fun to watch.

Tip: The staff and bartenders don't get paid too much so please tip them every once in a while. I would tip the bartender every so often but would be surprised to see people ordering many drinks without tipping! Also, by the pool, do not sit near the towel area for you will get harassed in buying a trip or adventure.

I agree with others -- until the upgrade the entire property to the 21st century, spend a few more $$ and go to another resort. Feel free to ask me any questions.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank Schwack
ohio
Reviewed 1 August 2014

We had a wonderful vacation! I loved not having to make reservations for the restaurants. The food was very good,lots of variety. We were given an ocean front room,which was great. The beach was so beautiful with lots of sand & shallow water to walk out pretty far. We loved the patio bar for pre-dinner drinks. Ask Pedro for for a mango cocktails,yumm!
We would visit again. PPZOhio

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
5 Thank PPZOhio
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 1 August 2014

I recently stayed at Vik Hotel Arena Blanca June 19-26.

Staff:

Staff at Vik hotel were rude and very unhelpful. The first time I complained to the staff regarding my remote control for the TV being broken. I waited over and hour with no one coming to fix the problem and had to complain two more times until finally someone came after three hours. The next time I complained that my AC unit was not functioning and was informed that they would send technicians to fix our problem.I left with my girlfriend and we promptly returned to find a maid outside our room singing a song louder the closer we came to the room as if she was trying to warn the people inside our room that we were close. In our room I found two guys just standing there not doing anything and it looked like they were snooping around our stuff, so lock all your belongings or get the safe daily. Please bring A LOT of $1 bills for tipping. I thought I brought plenty, but ran out. NO ONE will give you change at this resort. The wifi woman who clearly had change to spare simply told the guy we asked "NO CHANGE" in a bossy tone. No one will give you change, you must buy stuff to get any type of change. Finally, the people who sell you vacations are the most annoying people you will meet there. They camp out in front of the restaurant area trying to sell you their goods and if you say no they will talk and say something in their language right after and you know its about you. I don't understand how these are allowed inside the restaurant, not only that, right by the towel area at the pool you will find them too. Although I thought our maid was very nice it took a very long time for our room to be cleaned and some days it wouldn't be done until close to 5:30 PM.

Rooms:

Rooms are not very good. Some were renovated and others were not. We had a room Building three on the ground floor. There were a ton of ants and we even got a notice that our room was going to be fumigated one day and we had to be out of the room between 9:30 AM to 1:00 PM. The AC unit did not work well and stayed at 24 degrees and would not go any lower to our set point. The bathroom did not look in the best of shape either and looked very old and rundown. No wifi in rooms, wifi is only available in the lobby and maybe if you were in building one close to the lobby you will get a connection. Rates are $3 /hr and $7 /day. If you get an hour it will most likely expire after 45 minutes as my usage did and I was not even done my hour.

Pools:

Pools were really clean. There were enough lounge chairs available throughout the day and the pool was very big. No swim up pool bar, but the pool bar was close to the pool/beach and they made pizza, burgers, and fries daily. These hot dogs and patties were left for all in a metal bin full of water out in the open by the pool bar. Beware of the pool guys trying to sell you stuff!

Beach:

Beach was also very clean and beautiful. However, I went swimming one morning and there was a ton of green seaweed. Everywhere you moved your feet in the water you would be touching green seaweed. The water is also not clear and you cannot see to the bottom like in Cuba. They had people trying to dance on the beach to get tips and also people trying to peddle cigars and other goods up and down the beach.

Food:

Food was below average. I really enjoyed breakfast and also the a la carte Italian restaurant. At this resort you get as many a la carte's as you wish and your choices are Italian and Mexican. Both offer decent food and I would recommend the Mozzarella Sticks for Italian and the Chicken for the Mexican restaurant. The buffet dinner was also your run of the mill Caribbean, same like Cuba and other places. Be prepared Gents to wear long pants and a dressy long sleeve shirts to get into the a la cartes. They were more strict about the dress code at the Mexican place and they didn't seem to care too much about what the ladies were wearing.

Entertainment/locals:

I highly recommend the Monkeyland Safari excursion. You get to interact with Squirrel Monkeys (20 of them) and feed them. They will jump on you and eat from your hands. The excursion comes at $75 a person, cheapest you will find for an excursion per person. The drive there is a bumpy one as you will hike up a huge mountain to get there on an unpaved road and then you will meet some locals on the way down and see Cocoa being made and a typical Dominican house. There are no towns nearby in a walking distance unless you want to try it will be an hour walk there and an hour back in sweltering heat. Beware the locals will try to take advantage of you and try to give you a "good deal" at a ridiculous price (some guy tried to charge me $220 American for goods worth maximum $80). I eventually got the guy to give me all the stuff for $85 American after constantly haggling saying I am not a rich guy just because I am on vacation and that I don't have that much money. Be careful though! Once they see that you bought something from somewhere, other locals will swarm you to come to their shop and see their goods at "good prices". People expect tips everywhere!

I would definitely not recommend staying here to anyone! Put a little extra more cash in and do not stay at this "4 star" hotel. It is at best 3 stars. Stay at Occidental or Hard Rock (most people from the bus got off there so there must be a buzz about them or Riu).

Room Tip: Don't stay here!
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Alex S
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed 30 July 2014

I just stayed at this hotel from July 25th through the 28th with two of my friends. This was the one of the worst hotel experiences I have ever had. The resort was all inclusive however the food was absolutely horrible. Every single restaurant at the resort served terrible food, even the alacart American food was nasty. The Italian restaurant was by far the worst, it took us well over an hour to get pre-prepared food which was horrible. To make things worse, all dining was outside, and there were stray cats running around beneath your feet or staring up at you as you ate. This hotel needs some serious upgrades. The room I stayed in did not even have electronic key card entry, I had a regular dead bolt lock on my door like the one you have at home. The lobby had absolutely no air conditioning so the temperature was dependent on the breeze. The WiFi, which is not free, can only be used in the lobby and was out for hours at a time. The only saving grace was the fact that the beach was beautiful and I enjoyed hanging with my girls. I will never stay here again, and I will never suggest that anyone else stay here. Spend your money elsewhere.

• Stayed July 2014