“Great holiday!”

Ranked #75 of 110 Hotels in Punta Cana
Tallinn, Estonia
“Great holiday!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 August 2014

It was our first time in Dominican republic and it was AMAZING!
By the time we arrived the hotel was full so they sent us to the other hotel not far away (Princess) for one day. The next day we were back around 2 p.m, had lunch there and at 3.pm our room was ready as promised. The hotel and its territory is nice and clean. We stayed in the building nr 4 and had free wifi in the room from another hotel. Our room was clean and renovated. We had no problems with AC. The beach is absolutely amazing! The staff is friendly although some don't really speak English. The food and drinks are good. We didn't go to the a la carte restaurants though. Animation was great, there are many daily activities and every night at 9.30 there is a show. However after the animation show there is not much to do in the hotel and the club is empty.

All in all we didn't have any problems and loved everything about our trip so we would definitely go back :)

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
5 Thank katu717

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (457)
  • Czech first
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
Siloam Springs, AR
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 August 2014

We stayed here for a total of eight nights, actually got home late last Wednesday night and let me tell ya I was never so glad to get home to my AC and my bed.... We were in building two, room 2015. The room itself furniture wise as okay, our son had a twin size bed that was pushed up against the glass sliding doors and my husband and I had two twin beds that were pushed together. The closet space is mimimal, two small closets that face each other right before you go into the bathroom. Neither closet is large enough to hold a large suitcase. We were able to slide a carryon in each of these and hang clothes in one, since there was only hangers in one closet. The restroom is relatively small as well, pretty much just room for one person at a time. All things that we could live with....however the BIG issue was the AC!!!!!!!!!!!!! Our room averaged between 80 and 85 degrees!!!! not cold, only moderately cool We took cold showers at night to cool down. I did pack a small fan and thankfully there is a ceiling fan, had we not had these two things we would not have survived.
Also we have never stayed at a resort where you had to slide a card into an outlet inorder to have AC/electricity. by the strangest thing I have ever seen. They actually give you your room key, a traditional metal key along with the room card on a ring together becuase they don't want you to leave the card in the outlet the entire time. They want you to remove this while you are out of the room and therefore you AC won't be running. We promptly took the two apart and the room key stayed in the entire time. The only time we took it out was when we were having housekeeping service our room.
There were only two towels in our room when we checked in, but a note and tip for housekeeping resolved that.
The buffet was good, couldn't complain. We weren't impressed with the Mexican place, the sauce tasted like the italian place. And the Italian place was good, the Fried Mozzarala was amazing!
Overall biggest complaint, the AC!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! no good at all and that will be the main reason we won't visit this resort again. We can't sleep when we are sweating. Also becareful of some of the friuts/salads, I came home sick and we are pretty sure it was due to the water that these items were washed in.
But please go to the DR, the beaches are AMAZING!!!

Room Tip: Building #2 is very close to the lobby which means that you will hear whatever activity is going on...
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
4 Thank ladybug7812
Syracuse, NY
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 August 2014 via mobile

I just returned from a week here. This is not a resort. It is a hotel which includes all your beverages and food. I traveled with my mother and sister and we were all in one room. Our first room was awful. It had bugs in the bathroom and a TV similar to one I had in college (I'm 37). That was on the 3rd floor of building 2. The gentleman I worked with at the front desk was amazing and went way out of his way to help me get another room that night (I can't remember his exact name. Something similar to Robert). I tipped him, but he did not want to take the money. We ended up on the 2nd floor of building 3, which had been slightly renovated. Our A/C was sufficient, but it spoke to many others whose was not. The room was a basic hotel room with 2 double beds. Even though we had booked the room as a triple, the maids only left us two towels each day. On a side note-this hotel does not have washcloths. The only place in the entire resort that had A/C were the rooms and the stores. Everything else was open air.

We ate at the Italian place one night and the food was decent. The main buffet was good. For lunch, the buffet by the beach was very limited, but the pizza and burger stand adjacent to it were quite good. All of the drinks were self-serve and the frozen drinks were never quite frozen (can't fault the VIK for this, as it was HOT there). They put a lot of booze in the drinks. There are no waiters in the buffet or pool area. Only bus boys.

The pools were amazing! One was close to 4 feet deep and the other was close to 5 feet. They were always clean. The beach was beautiful, clean, and steps away from the pool. During the day there were activities for kids and adults. Most evenings there was something going on from 7-930, and at 930 there was a daily show. Everyone that worked there was nice, although I was surprised at the limited amount of English that was spoken by the employees.

I have been to numerous all-inclusive resorts in various parts of Mexico and the Caribbean. This was no where near that caliber. But you get what you pay for. We were looking for an inexpensive girls' getaway. I probably would not stay here again, mainly due to the rooms and the lack of A/C on the property. It was uncomfortably hot. If you do stay here, I highly recommend no more than 2 adults per room.

Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
5 Thank sciadmin
Brooklyn, New York
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 August 2014

I came to this hotel because of a deal. When I arrived at the hotel, the front desk guy upgraded our room to a superior room which is in building 4. I'm not sure how the regular room look like but when I got to the "superior room" it looks like a regular room to me. The bathroom ceiling kept moving when I open the door which scared me. Daily house keeping took forever. I left my room around 9 am and i would come back at 3 pm hoping that my room would be cleaned. Apparently it wasn't even touch. They just took the dirty towels. The food there was fine. Nothing spectacular but still edible. On Friday, they have a special seafood night which you had to paid. It was a good experience. As for the beverage section, the line moved quickly. I didn't have to wait too long to get my drinks. The alcohol is just fine with me but sometimes they just put way too much alcohol. Overall, its a decent place but I would not stay here again since I want to be in a hotel that have a swim up pool at my room.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
4 Thank An93lbabu
New york
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 August 2014

My friends and i went here thinking it was a great deal cause it was all inclusive. The rooms were small with minimal AC. The food was awful and the service terrible. Constantly had to wait to be served. No swim up bar or bar close to the pool/beach. The drinks were watered down in really small cups. The wifi only worked in the lobby. I would not recommend this hotel to anyone.

• Stayed August 2014
5 Thank JaeRica

Travellers are raving about these Punta Cana hotels

evesham, england
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 August 2014

We have just returned from a great 2 week holiday at VIK Arena Blanca. There are some awful reviews on here which meant we went to the hotel very anxious. In my opinion these reviews are very unjust and unfair.

We traveled to Dom Rep. with Thomas Cook. Very reasonable prices and good flights, what more can you ask for from your tour operator?

Punta Cana airport is very slow but considering its a wooden hut with a grass roof, it sets the scene for your holidays perfectly.

Arrival and Check in
All was very easy. The staff are very friendly and informative. The lobby is a traditional Caribbean lobby, palm roof and open sides. The staff checked us in quickly and showed us where our rooms were on the map and informed us of the restaurant opening times.We took our own bags to the room but porters are available if you wish.

Rooms
We were in block 1, this is the closest to the lobby and furthest from the beach, I say furthest but it was no more than a 3 min walk.The rooms are traditional but perfect for what they are really used for. The air con was ok, not freezing but it was refreshing when you came in from the heat. The decor and fittings were very basic but everything you needed was there. Beds were comfy, sheets clean and the pillows were fine. The room does have a mini bar that is restocked with water however there is an option ($70) to have it stocked with all sorts of goodies. The bathroom was also fine a little small but no problems, a sandy coloured marble from floor to ceiling with a huge mirror on the wall. The shower was always hot and had good pressure even during peak times 5-7pm.
The rooms were cleaned daily. The beds were made but I'm not sure the sheets were changed daily. Towels were changed daily but often arrived later after the room had been cleaned.

Food and Drink.
There are 3 all inclusive restaurants, Buffet, Italian and Mexican. There is also a fish/meat restaurant which you have to pay for. We had meals at the 3 All inclusive restaurants.
The Buffet
Food was always plentiful and of great quality. We never had any problems with the food at any restaurant. There was always a great choice of meat, fish and vegetables. The Pasta and Stir- fry stations were also great. There is no waiter service at the buffet so drinks are self service. This is fine but it would be nice to have a waiter re filling your water glasses during your meal.
Italian
The food and service at the Italian was perfect. There were no restrictions or reservations for this restaurant which meant you could eat here as often as you liked. The food was cooked and presented immaculately with very fast and efficient service. You did have a waiter service at this restaurant which is what you would expect from a All inclusive 4* resort.
Mexican
As with the Italian, you could eat here as often as you like. The food was nice and the service was great.

Bars
There are plenty of bars scattered throughout the hotel. All of the staff were friendly and helpful. The drinks were fine and never restricted. There was only ever 1 person on each bar which meant it could take some time to get a drink especially at night time where people were there to drink and relax before and after the shows. Drinks are served in plastic glasses throughout the day and night. We all took thermocups to use during the day which saved lots of trips to the bar.

Pools
There are 2 pools in this resort and they are a real asset to this hotel. The pools are immaculate and extremely well kept. There are always sun loungers around the pools so whether you get up early or late you will always find somewhere to relax. The pools never felt small or busy with plenty of space to swim or float around.

Beach
Well this is obviously the biggest selling point to anyone visiting Punta Cana. The beach is beautiful and the sea is just as lovely. There are plently of loungers, especially to the left hand side of the beach. If you want a sea side lounger you will need to be up and reserve your lounger about 6 am but if you don't mind where you are, then you will always find a spot.

Entertainment
This resort is definitely not geared up or advertised for English visitors. The biggest nationality is French or French Canadians. The hotel animation team try really hard to include everybody but the Look! animation team are only there for their visitors and don't interact with other nationalities. There are plenty of daily activities including; volleyball, beach aerobics, yoga and other tests and competitions. The night time entertainment is a normal all inclusive array of shows, lots of dancing, some better then others but it was fine to watch in the evening. There is also a nightclub on site which never got busy enough to create a party atmosphere. We went as a large family group, with 4 of us under 24, but often found ourselves in bed before 11 pm as there was very little to do after the show had finished.

Grounds and Gardens
The gardeners here are great. They work really hard to make sure that the flowers, trees and grass are perfectly kept and maintained.

Overall
We had a lovely holiday and a great time in Punta Cana. I truly believe that in a couple of years and after its completed renovation this hotel will be great and will deserve their 4* status. I know that if you have already booked here you are going to have a great time. If you would like any more information please get in touch and I will try to help.

Room Tip: Block 5 is on the beach Block 4 has been renovated
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
19 Thank j_mie
Norfolk, Virginia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 August 2014

My husband and I stayed five days at VIK Arena in an oceanfront room. The view was spectacular and the beach was wonderful. The staff was nice, although twice we needed help from the concierge and in both cases she did not speak English. In fact we had many interactions with non English speaking staff. The food was average, but overall we had a wonderful stay at a budget friendly price and would recommend it.

Room Tip: Oceanfront rooms were fabulous with great views. A/Cdid not work well in rooms, with nighttime room...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple