“Great Vacation!”

Grand Palladium Palace Resort Spa & Casino
Ranked #19 of 112 Hotels in Punta Cana
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Reviewed 3 July 2013

We were here from June 24 to July 2, 2013 and had a very enjoyable stay at this resort. It was our first time to the Dominican Republic so didn't know what to expect. We found the staff very friendly and the rooms comfortable. The beds and pillows are pretty hard and I usually sleep on a soft bed, but you get used to them easily enough.

The food isn't that great, but it isn't bad either. There is a large selection on the buffet. I don't recommend the specialty restaurants (except the Japanese). The upsides of them is the salad bars were excellent on the Mediterranean & Italian, but the food was not that great. Get reservations early for the Japanese to sit at the grills and it is a good show with the best food IMHO.

If you are going to dive, pick somewhere else... The diving doesn't compare to Belize or Cozumel - dead reefs and hardly any fish at all.

If you are going to lounge on the beach, this is your place, but get up early (I was up at 6am - but that was prob too early) to get a lounge in the shade or you will cook. Just take your towel out early and hold your spot. Also, take a 20oz insulated mug as the drinks get warm fast.

All in all, it was a very pleasant stay and I would return if I want planning to dive.

Room Tip: Request the beach buildings - 81, 82, 91 or 92
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank maharals
ltajes, Manager at Grand Palladium Palace Resort Spa & Casino, responded to this reviewResponded 16 July 2013

Dear maharals,

From the staff of Grand Palladium Palace Resort, Spa y Casino we want to thank you for dedicating your time to share your experiences concerning your stay.

We greatly appreciate that we have totally satisfied your well deserved vacations.

We will be waiting for your next vacations.

Reviewed 2 July 2013

Beautiful resort. It is huge. Several pools and restaurants to choose from. First time there but will definitely return. We went as group of 11 for my bday, the habachi restaurant went out their way to make it special. The resort accommodated us by putting us all in the same villa. It was great stay, don't have nothing to complain about.

• Stayed: June 2013
2  Thank Mspoca

Dear Mspoca,

We are really thankful for the precious time you dedicate to share your good experiences in the hotel with us.

It is a satisfaction to know that you enjoyed your stay at our resort and that we have totally satisfied your needs.

We look forward for your return.

Thank you very much.

Reviewed 1 July 2013 via mobile

Great resort covering a huge area. Numerous pools and huge beach area. Rooms were super clean and fresh flowers placed in room everyday. In room fridge stocked daily with drinks from water to sodas to beer. Huge jacuzzi tub in room that was very clean. Numerous bars and restaurants (buffet, Japanese, steakhouse, Brazilian, Italian and more). Great service and friendly staff. Only negatives were the people trying to sell stuff in the beach (not affiliated with resort and they run them off when they see them) and some staff cant speak english. the view from our room was of the building in front of our building which wasn't great but we were in the room and balcony so rarely it wasn't a big deal. i can't say enough about this resort and would recommend it to anyone. Can't wait to go back!

• Stayed: August 2012
6  Thank Asgh2010

Dear Asgh2010,

Received a warm greeting from the staff of Grand Palladium Palace Resort, Spa y Casino, we wants to thank you for dedicating your time to share your experiences concerning your stay.

Comments like yours are the best motivation for our team;

Once again thank you for choosing our Resort and for trusting that we will give you your well deserved vacations.

We look forward for your return.

Reviewed 23 June 2013

2nd time to resort provided our group with the same enjoyable vacation as in the past.
Rooms: Adequate for the amount of time spent in them. Air conditioning needs to be revamp...inconsistent...thank you Fernelias hotel manager for handling room key issues
Food: Appetites of all ranges should be met as the nightly themes change and the specialty dining venues offer variety....thank you Deysi for remembering us and taking care of the group
Entertainment: POP crew kept everyone involved...thank you to Barbie, you made my husband's trip!
Bars: From the lobby to the beach and back to the pool bar....all waiters served with distinction...thank you William and Jiordana at the pool bar for making sure our glasses were never empty.
Looking forward and already talking of returning in 2015 with hopefully a larger group!!!
Lastly a thank you to Irena from Apple for always being there in the lobby when we needed you!

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with friends
3  Thank hairdoer

Dear hairdoer,

From the staff of Grand Palladium Palace Resort, Spa y Casino want to thank you for dedicating your time to share your experiences concerning your stay.

We are proud that once again you chose our Resort as your special gateway, we work to satisfy your needs.

Once again thank you very much, we look forward for your return.

Greetings.

Reviewed 21 June 2013

This was absolutely the worst place I have ever been. Our cousin decided to choose this resort to celebrate his wedding and we attended and extended our visit as a second honeymoon. Although the grounds were beautiful, everything else was absolutely awful. The food was disgusting! This was the first vacation I've ever been on where my husband and I actually LOST weight! Even the "al la carte" restaurant used packaged style luncheon meat! The beach was really nice except for the locals constantly pestering us to take their excursion offers. They were at every entrance to the beach and contstantly roamed the beach pestering us! They even had booths set up at the pools and they bothered us there! OMG! AND . . . don't believe their ad about the mini-bar being replenished daily. After the fourth day I finally had to call and ask when the bar was going to be restocked. After several hours of waiting they finally showed up. Several members of our party got sick because they only way to get drinking water was in the restaurants or the mini-bar.

Although some did try, hardly no one spoke English. Some of the locals became frustrated at my husband attempting to communicate with them by speaking Spanish.

The "free water sports" is a joke! There were several floats at the pool that were being used by swimmers. When we asked the towel guy if we had to make an appointment to reserve a float he first asked if we were American. When we said yes he told us the the floats belonged to someone but for $5 each he could probably convince the owners to sell them to us. We said "no thanks" and he came later and found us swimming and said that we could have the floats for $7. We paid him the $7 and just considered it a rental fee because we did not take them with us when we left for home. They were fun while we had them though.

BEWARE OF THE CASINO!!!! The slot machines crashed each time we used them. And each time one of the casino workers just turned a key into the machine, opened the door, and then slammed the door really hard. After a couple of times we realized that something was wrong with the place and decided not to play the last time the worker did this to the machine. When I cashed out after she slammed the door I took my ticket to get my remaining money and they did not give me my entire amount. They actually kept the coin portion of the money. They said they did not cash out for remaining "coin" money so they kept it! Seriously?? It was only $.70, but it wasn't my fault the machines broke. ALSO, just a personal note, I swear those workers were prostitutes! The entire casino had an unnerving feel about it. It was almost always vacant when we went, except for the workers, and ALL EYES WERE ON YOU THE WHOLE TIME!!! It was so creepy! AND the drinks were NOT plentiful! We had to keep asking for drinks and they brought really small glasses of wine.

As for the "unliminted alcohol" . . . everything was brought in tiny plastic cups and took really long periods of time before they were brought to us. This just didn't happen to us, we overheard many, many people talking about the same issues.

The air conditioner in the room was so loud we could hardly sleep for the first couple of nights. After a while we just got use to it. One couple in our party asked to change rooms twice because of the noise of the air conditioner and once because the air conditioner didn't work. They never got their issues resolved.

In the end we were all anxious to get to the airport. We had about 30 family and friends travel there for the wedding and by the end we were fighting over who was going to cram in the first bus for the airport. It was an absolute NIGHTMARE!

I will NEVER go to this terrible place again and I will certainly NEVER recommend this place to anyone!

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Melinda C

Dear Melinda C,

Received a warm greeting from the staff of Grand Palladium Palace Resort, Spa y Casino, we want to thank you for dedicating your time to share your experiences concerning your stay.

We apologize for our services and that we do not full fill you expectations as well. All comments are very important for us, which is a valuable tool for us to continue improving.

Thanks for highlighting these details;

Reviewed 18 June 2013

We, party of 25 just returned from the Grand Palladium Palace, Punta Cana. We left Denver June 9. Flight was good and arrived 15 minutes early. We went to celebrate wife's 70th birthday and graduation from high school for one of the granddaughters. We were greeted at the reception desk with smiles and a cool drink. I asked one week in advance for a beach front building with an ocean view, if available. We were put in building 92, with a loft and a great ocean view. All of my family members (13) were housed in the 92 building. First night there we ate at the buffet, which had a large variety of food. After that we ate in the Italian restaurant, just so so. Then on to the Japanese where the food was good and a great show provided by Carlos, the chef. On Wednesday we celebrated my wife's birthday at the Mexican restaurant with 25 family and friends. If only you could see the look on the greeter's face when she asked'"how many", and I said 25. We settled for a table of 13, and table of 12. The family, and then the staff sang Feliz Cumpleanos to my wife. Following night we ate at the buffet where the theme was Mexican. Unfortunately, 13 out of 13 had stomach ailments after eating there. So, it must have been the food. I did notice people picking up food with their hands and not the proper instruments. Mostly spaniards. On to the Chinese where the food was good and plentiful. Pros for the resort: the animation staff led by Roberto was wonderful on the beach with great games that the whole group participated in. They even recognized my wife's birthday and gave both of us a POP T shirt, and a free 30 minute massage. Housekeeping services were great as was the mini bar service. Bar and waiter/waitress was excellent and always more than willing to accept a tip. Towel people could use a lesson on customer service. When you went for a towel, the towel person tried aggressively to sell you a helicopter ride. The beach was fantastic. We have been to GP Mexican Riviera six times and the Punta beach is far superior. Grounds are beautiful and well maintained. Cons: the rooms are definitely in need of updating, the rude people from spain, the vendors on the beach who never accept'"no gracias". Having been to mexico 15 times and having encountered those from Spain many times, they never seem to change. I had one vendor almost start a fight with me because I told him no gracias. Even the vendors at the lobby are very aggressive, there was one that wanted me to go to the bar and get him some peanuts. The hotel should do a better job controlling those on their property. And, the six hour flight from Denver. In conclusion, it was a great trip, and a great time spent with family and friends.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family
5  Thank TomChi
ltajes, Manager at Grand Palladium Palace Resort Spa & Casino, responded to this reviewResponded 19 June 2013

Dear TomChi,

Thank you for choosing Grand Palladium Trusting that you will received your well deserved vacations.

Thanks for highlighting these details; we work to satisfy your needs.

Once again thank you very much, we look forward for your return.

Greetings.

Reviewed 10 June 2013

We just returned from a 5 night stay from this resort. Overall, our family of 7 (2 adults, 2 kids, and 3 grandparents) enjoyed ourselves but I probably wouldn't return to this particular resort.

Pros: Check-in was very friendly and accomodating, and we were able to get into our room a little before 3:00. We got lucky and our room was in the villa closest to the beach with our balcony facing the beach and the view was stunning. The rooms are very dated, but clean for the most part. They have loft rooms which are very convenient for families traveling with kids so the parents and children can sleep on separate levels. The pool facility is very clean and well maintained. The beach is beautiful and clean with beautiful white sand and clear water that's calm enough to swim in. They served fresh seafood paella on the beach every day for lunch which was by far the best food on the trip. The service in the lobby is great--the drinks are better and at breakfast time they have donuts and pastries which are much better than what's at the breakfast restaurant. There is also free wireless in the lobby so it's a good place to hang out. Very convenient setup all and all for large families and children, and you don't have to worry about incurring extra costs along the way.

Cons: After checkout, the wait staff was rude for the rest of the trip, particularly at the restaurants. Housekeeping wasn't great and rooms weren't ever restocked with enough towels, and I always had to call for more. Our safe also didn't work and it never got fixed. My biggest complaint is probably the beds and pillows...they are ABYSMAL. The kids slept on a pullout sofa and the mattress was thin and flimsy. We were supposed to have one king upstairs for my husband and I, but instead we had 2 double beds and the mattresses were awful. We didn't request to move because we didn't want to sacrifice our view. The pillows are awful and paper thin and firm--I really couldn't sleep the first few nights. You could get nicer pillows but you have to PAY for them, which I find ridiculous for a 5 star hotel. Sleeping well on vacation is important so I don't understand why the beds and pillows are so awful. The drawback of the loft is there is no celling fan and the room never cools down because it's split level. The hotel controls the AC temperature and you can only adjust it higher, not lower, so we were sweaty every night. This in itself would prevent me from returning to this resort.

The ala carte restaurants are a disaster and unless you go right at 6 when they open, you end up waiting at least an hour for a table. If you ask how long the wait is the host will tell you "I don't know." We had a few great waiters which we tipped, but for the most part the service was awful. The food is ok, but nothing phenomenal at all--you have to know that you are not going to this resort for the food. There's only so much you can expect from large buffets--they are more comparable to cafeterias. There is no drink service on the beach or at the pool, which I would expect from a "5 star hotel." There is a bar on the beach and at the pool but you have to get your own drinks. I have stayed at resorts in Mexico and drink service is ALWAYS included. There was too much loud club-like music at the pool and on the beach (used for contests and aerobics classes)...I go to a beach to relax, not listen to loud music. Also, the people trying to sell you stuff on the beach every 10 minutes is annoying...again I go to the beach to relax. The umbrellas were nice, but the beach chairs are awful and flimsy. Also it's advertised that there are beach beds on the beach, but this is only for the traveler's club side (a special section of the hotel) and is adults only...you also get beach drink service there. Why not just extend this to the entire resort? We were basically sitting in coach instead of first class.

All in all we still enjoyed ourselves because my main purpose of a beach vacation is having a nice stretch of beach to enjoy which we did. Otherwise you are getting what you pay for...it's a great deal for large families and very economical, but at the same time you can't expect to pay so little money for a vacation and get superb dining and service. It's just not realistic. If that's what you are looking for then don't stay at an all-inclusive resort...the hotel quality goes down significantly. I would return to the Dominican but not stay at this resort again because of the rooms...they just aren't comfortable and need to be upgraded. I imagine all the other resorts in Punta Cana are more or less the same in terms of service and food, so I don't think these issues are particular to this resort, but just the standard of an all-inclusive deal. If it sounds too good to be true, it usually is. If I were traveling with just my family (not the grandparents also) I would pay the extra money for a hotel that isn't all-inclusive and I'm certain all these issues would be corrected.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family
4  Thank Melibawa M

Dear Melibawa M,

On behalf of Grand Palladium Palace Resort, Spa y Casino we want to thank you for the dedicated time you spent to share your suggestions.

Politely we would like to apologize for the inconvenience, thanks to you and other customers suggestions we are working to improve our services.

One more time thank you very much, we invite you to return in any season of your preference.

Regards.