Grand Palladium Palace Resort Spa & Casino
US$210
The Reserve at Paradisus Palma Real(Punta Cana)(Great Value!)
US$433
US$325
Melia.com
Occidental Caribe(Punta Cana)(Great Value!)
US$175
US$146
Barcelo.com
  • Breakfast included
Paradisus Palma Real Golf & Spa Resort(Punta Cana)(Great Value!)
US$391
US$293
Melia.com
  • Breakfast included
Paradisus Punta Cana Resort(Punta Cana)(Great Value!)
US$340
US$293
Bookit.com
  • Breakfast included
Dreams Punta Cana Resort & Spa(Punta Cana)(Great Value!)
US$315
US$261
  • Breakfast included
Dreams Palm Beach Punta Cana(Punta Cana)(Great Value!)
US$305
Orbitz.com
US$960
US$762
US$763
US$1,198
TripAdvisor
7,129 results
All reviewsloft suitesports barlas torresa la carte restaurantsel bohiobavaro sectiontravel clubpublic relationsjapanese restaurantdominican republicadult poolroyal gourmetbeautiful beachmake reservationsair transatjacuzzi tubgreat vacation
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 20 October 2008

I do realize I'm writing this review late I went last year in May, but I have to say I loved this resort. We said VIP where we had our own private pool, swim up bar, and private beach. This section is for 18+ so if want to be away from the chaos I would totally recommend upgrading to that section. The resort is huge and involves walking unless you wait for thr trolley which we did most of the time. The food was very good we always found something we liked. Our favorite a la carte restaurant was the spain restaurant I would def recommend the steak it was great. As VIP you get unlimited reservations. We also ate at the mexican and japanese rest. and we both very good also they only restaurant that was alittle disppointing was the italian one. The service is amazing, all the employees work so hard to accommodate you and I tipped. Tips are suppose to be included but I still did and they appreciate it so much. The shows were pretty good and the club was very good they managed to get everyone up to dance so be prepared. the employees will grab you and dance with you. The drinks were good but once you tip them they make it extremely strong FYI. The beach was gorgeous we also went parasailing which was so much fun and I totally recommend it even if you are scared of heights because I am. You can see how beautiful the island really is. The only thing is I wouldnt recommend leaving the resort thats for sure! But the reason I loved this resort is there was no reason to leave we never got bored. We stayed for 8 days. We also got massages on the beach, I work in the spa industry so I have had many massages before but that was the best massage my boyfriend and I have ever had. Obviously this was a yr ago so I dont know if you'll get the same people or experience. But theres so much to do. You would like it. When I go back to punta cana I will probably try a different resort because there are so many. but I would recommend this place for anyone. If you are honeymoooners, couples or just all adults do the VIP. but the resort is great for families also.

• Stayed: May 2007, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
4  Thank Beautyconsultant
Reviewed 29 September 2008

This past January '08, my family did a family vacation to the Grand Palladium Palace. This was the first time my family has been down south on a vacation, where as I have been south several times, so I was quite curious about what my family would have to say about everything.

I'll start off with the check-in process where it was super smooth as when we arrived, we were the only ones checking in at the time and were greeted with warm face cloth and drinks . We were instructed to leave our luggage at the check-in and proceed to our rooms. After about 10 minutes, there was a knock at our door and the porters brought our luggage right into our room for us, which was very nice. Of course we tipped the gentleman for being so nice and courteous.

We had two rooms, both which were lofts, located on the second floor. The main floor had a jacuzzi tub, washroom with toilet and stand-up shower, sink with vanity light, very large closet and in-room safe. Also, there was a nice sitting area, with a pullout couch, fully stocked bar, and balcony to the outside. There was a staircase up to the main bedroom with a king size bed. Room was kept immaculately clean during the entire week; we did tip our maid and leave little gifts everyday, but I'm sure we'd still receive great service even if we didn't.

Our building, building 81 or 82 (I forget), was located directly by the beach, which was very convenient if we ever needed to run back to the room for anything. Really, the Palace section is very compact which makes everything very accessible.

The beach itself was gorgeous; very soft sand and palm trees everywhere. Finding lounge chairs did seem like a bit of a challenge sometimes, due to the resort being super busy, but we always did find some. As many people have said, you can get some earlier if you throw down some towels on the loungers early in the morning. The ocean did seem a bit wavy at times with the waves breaking closer to shore, but if swim out a little bit, it was fine. Funny thing is that after a few cerveza's, if you didn't watch out for the waves, the waves would knock you on you [--] lol

When we were there, the resort was trying this thing with the A La Cartes where it was a "first come, first serve" approach opposed to the normal "reservation" approach; not sure if this has changed since then. My parents tried this a few nights and they ended up waiting in line for about an hour. The rest of us just ate at the main buffet were they did have different theme nights, but generally, it was same food during the week. The food was average to good, so anyone can find something to curb their appetite.

Another great thing about Grand Palladium is whatever section you stay in, you have access to the other sections as well; minus access to the Royal Suites section. Every morning, I would go for a walk with my mom and check out the other sections of the resort. The Punta Cana and Bavaro sections seemed more spread out compared the Palace, which has everything close together. The other sections had some more things to offer to do offer due to their size: more A La Cartes, sports bar, activity centre, etc., but that didn't bother us because either a short walk or catching a ride on the train would solve that situation.

The Bavaro section seemed to have the most night life going on; I think due to the fact it is the largest section and the disco and sports bar is located in that section as well. It also seemed like younger people (early to late 20's) stayed in the there too; cheaper than the Punta Cana and Palace sections.

In the end, even though it was their first trip down south, my family loved everything about the resort and would be happy to return to it and recommend it to any one else.

I would recommend the Palace section just for the convenience of rooms, beach, pool, lobby and buffet section being located so close to one another.

• Stayed: January 2008, travelled with family
6  Thank Wazzy99
Reviewed 29 September 2008

Hi, just got back off two amazin weeks staying in Punta Cana at the Grand Pallidium Palace Resort and Spa, i was there from teh 1st of sept to teh 15th and went with Thomsons. Firstly here is my first BIG tip, bring some small change for tipping (1 dollar bills) because this is a tipping country, the second your bag comes off that converbelt it begins. They whisk your bag off to your air conditioned bus (which is relief after stepping off to extreme heat) and being a kind sole tipped the guy $10 because i had nothing smaller, wont make that mistake again but at least i got a smile

Leaving the airport, you notice at how much this country is in the 'developing' stage. Everywhere seems to have electricity but a lack of roads makes for an interesting journey. Travelling at unstricted speeds on roads with pot-holes the size of paddling pools filss you with frills and a sense of 'your going to die'. Take the in the enviroment around you beyond teh construction and roads to the untouch, beautiful surrondings

You arrive at the hotel (you are 'recommended' to tip the driver) to a complimentry glass of 'unknown' which is very nice. After a short check-in at one of the three beautiful looking receptions, you are given your room card and are instructed to leave your bags and they will be delivered by 'safri' looking bell boys.

This is where the place excells itself, we spent extra for a junior suite and we wheer not disappointed. Marble floors, jacuzzi, beautiful furniture, mini-bar, safe and two tvs (plenty of english channels and lots of movies), one for downstairs and one for upstairs where there was a very large king sized bed with seperate air-con.

I will firstly confirm rumours from some of the other reviews, yes the safe does flash low battery ever so often but just try your 'own pre-set' code to open/close. Yes teh electricity does go off ever so often but they work extremely hard to ensure it returns. The towel boys do look miserable??? and there is teh major problem of sun lounge being taken as early as 5am but this didnt really affect us as it was the low season. Our mini-bar was filled evryday, where as others found it ever so often. Lastly we could enjoy al'cart everynight, there was not a limit of 5 times over teh two weeks but taht may be due to being low season

The weather was amazing although we did suffer two days of crazy tropical storms courtesy of hurrician Ike but apart from that we had 34C days and 31C nights, this place never goes cold.

I did two trips, firstly the Manati Park, swimming with dolphins, after being warned by our thomson rep that this isnt a recommend trip it was the only way to swim with dolphins in our price range $85 per person to Thomsons $415 to ocean world! The experince with the dolphins was good, the dvd worked back home but the dolphins pen is extremly small. The park itself is alright, you get bothered alot to get money out of you but a nice surpise was that a park keeper took us around and took us actual into parrots and igunas cages which was amazing, so he deserved a nice tip!
Second trip was on the monster safri trucks, booked through our hol rep for around $99 each, i wont spoil this for but its worth it, MAKE SURE YOU EAT, they supply plenty of alchol and non-alchol drinks and becareful of teh begging kids, one had a mobile!!!!!

Overall the hotel is amazin, the beach is beautiful, the sea is warm and looks stunning. but i give you one caution, be careful, every1 who doesnt work for teh hotel wants your money, they allow some people onto teh complex and beaches trying to sell you excursions/trips and others to sell gifts, this gets annoying. Finnaly do not go to teh shops on teh beach, they will try to con you but i found that the prices on the hotel complex for gifts were actually cheaper???? so just be cautious!

Enjoy your holiday and i know i will be revisting this amazing place.

• Stayed: September 2008, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
6  Thank tallpaul99
Reviewed 8 September 2008

I didn't know what to expect from our holiday to the Dominican as we have never been out of Europe before. However both my husband and I were blown away by the quality of this hotel and the people who work very hard within it. The hotel itself is absolutely beautiful. Very clean and pleasant surroundings with gorgeous grounds which are well taken care of by the gardeners. Prior to our visit I was concerned as I had read a number of reviews(particularly I noticed by a number of American writers), which were less than complimentary regarding service and attitudes of staff members, i.e waiters/waitresses/bar staff. I would like to make this clear from the offsett ,WE NEVER HAD ONE BAD EXPERIENCE with any of the staff in the whole two weeks we was there. Wether we tipped them or not they were always helpful and made every effort to ensure ours needs were met. The rooms were cleaned every day with fresh flowers scattered around the jaccussi in our room and little touches which made it extra special, such as the swans made out of towels and the way the maid did special arrangements with the complimentary tissues and the thowover on the extremely comfortable bed.

All staff seemed to work extremely hard and were very pleasant and accommodating, especially if you took an interest in their lifestyle and culture. It is also appreciated very much by them when you make even a small attempt to communicate with them in Spanish, which is the language of Dominican people. Many of the staff working there originate from the country's capital of Santa Domingo and live there at the hotel during their 10 day duty system, having 3 days off to go back home to spend time with their family and loved ones. Many of the women have to leave thier children in another family members care in order to bring home much needed money. Poverty is an ever present bedmate to many inhabitants of this island, as you will see all too easily if you venture out of the resort on any of the organised trips which take you through Higuey in order to reach your destination. Despite this fact we was always greeted with a big warm smile and a cheery Hola from nearly everyone who worked there, even if we was only passing them on the path to the most gorgeous beech I have ever seen!!! They truly are wonderful warm and freindly people and many made our stay here the most pleasurable expereince I have ever had in my life.

If you are interested in finding out more about thier culture and lifestyle you would benefit from taking an organised excursion on a monster truck which we did. We booked through our Thompson rep and it was one of the highlights of the holiday for me. You learn a litle about thier culture and get out of the resort to see the real Dominican Republic ,which I have to say once you get out of the scrub land surrounding Bavaro village is absolutely stunning! However be prepared to have your eyes opened and be aware this is a developing country where poverty is a prevailing factor. You will be appraoched by children who don't even have shoes for their feet. Please don't give them sweets or money as the authorities are trying to promote education within the communties and also they have problems with tooth decay and accessing dental care . If you want to give anything take some colouring books or pens, felt tips and crayons. They will also appreciate the complimentory shampoo out of your room if you forget to buy anything before you go.

The food from any of the buffets was outstanding, the choice was vast. So much so that it was difficult to choose exactly what delicious items to load up your plate with. I am ashamed to admit that I put on nearly a stone in the two weeks we was there because I couldn't stop eating their delicious food, which was on many occasions freshly prepeared in front of you. We did eat occasionally at the Aricefe, which is a steak restaurant. The food was deleicious here and the steak was cooked to perfection. But to be honest we preferred the buffets rather than the al' a' cartes as my husband was far too warm to put a pair of trousers on.

For adults there is more than enough entertainment. There are 2 theatres which put on a good show for an hour starting at 10.00pm. Also there are a number of bars around the complex which are easily reached by the train if you can't be bothered to walk and there is also a disco and sports bar which serves food 24 hours a day.

I've read a few reviews where people feel the complex is too big to walk around , but this is not the case at all. Obviously, as with anywhere else, until you find your way around it can be a little confusing. However, once we got our bearings we had no probs at all walking from one end of the complex to the other within 10 mins, tops! And believe me when I'm all hot and bothered I am not a fast walker! Those who are older or have mobility problems may find it a little more taxing but everywhere is generally on an even level and there are no hills or stairs to climb within any of the faciltities anywhere. Also you can get driven around in little mobility buggies which will take you anywhere on the complex.

There are a number of shops which sell nick nacks you can take home as a souvineer if you don't leave the complex to buy anything. However please take with you plenty of dollars as this is the currency that is mostly used within the resort. This can be quite a bug bear as when you use the ATM in Bavaro this gives out Pesos as does the resort reception when you exchange currency. This can be confusing as everything in the shops is marked up in dollars.

Also there is the spa and massage on the beech which was a fab treat for me on my birthday. There is also a tennis court if and table tennis if you can be bothered to move from our sunbed. On the beech there are kayaks and other water sports and also during the day the entertainment team will be around teaching merengue or doing excersize on the beech to funky music. We also took advantage of the hours free scuba tuition which was really cool.

The pools are all really nice although I preferred the sea as there used to be wasps sometimes doing the backstroke at your side which I found a litle off putting.

The only other fault we found in this resort is that it has no ATM machine, which can be a bit of a hassle if you can't be bothered to walk down the beach to the bizzare. I would really have thought that a resort this size would have one but it wasn't such a hassle for us really. Also we took with us our 9 year old son and we found that on the evenings he got quite bored as there isn't anything much on for them after 7 ish. However this wasn't too much of a hassle for us as by 10.30 we was ready for returning to our rooms anyway ,as we was usually stuffed and tired as we was early risers due to our sons demands for the pool!

Despite these minor issues we had the holiday of a lifetime and got to do the most amazing things which we would never get the opportunity to do in dreary old UK, such as swimming with sharks and stingrays, horseback riding on the beech, drinking cuba libras on a floating bar in the sea etc etc I could ramble on for ever....

All I have to say now is that you must be an extremely spoiled and pampered person not to be impressed with this place. It was fantastic and we would return in a shot if we had the chance. If you do decide to go look out for Laidy, a Dominican waitress who works at the largest pool of the resort. She's got the most amazing smile and warm heart. Please say Hi to her from us ... ask her if she remembers Debs and Pirate Daves wedding where she was a witness and the man from England who had broken his false set of teeth...she'll know what you mean!

• Stayed: August 2008, travelled with family
7  Thank Sylntony
Reviewed 5 September 2008

The resort itself is beautiful. The beach is quite awesome and our room was of a very high standard and spotlessly clean. You could not fault cleanliness around the resort.

Although there are a great variety of restaurants the food was extremely poor. My Mother and I were extremely ill during our stay, and for over a week after our return. After a couple of days I was scared to eat anything. Although the restaurants look clean you do not see food preparation areas - and most days you could see foods that had been "recycled". All restaurants are enclosed and air conditioned. Personally I would like to be Al Fresco and enjoy the warm Carribean beeze and I felt it was a shame that there were no real beachfront restaurants in which to enjoy the sea view.

When the winds picked up the beach was completely closed for safety. This subsequently lead to severe overcrowding around the pools and fights for sunbeds. Not what you would expect of a 5* resort. Management ignored our complaints and my 72 year old Mother was reduced to sitting on the ground by the pools for some days.

Do not do the excursion out to "Bacardi Island" (do they call every island in the Carribean this!!) unless you enjoy hours on a coach with no toilets and no time at all on the island where you are told not to go more that about 100 metres away from where you land.

There was no ATM in the resort - so our rep sent me off to a shanty town just on the edge of the resort. Do not go unaccompanied if you are female. I was hounded by manacing men and was too scared to withdraw money for fear of being mugged on teh way back.

We booked with Thomson who totally dismissed all our complaints and swiftly removed my honest review from their website. I note Thomson website say customers rate this 10/10 but there are no reviews on there so where does the rating come from? I had no idea their reviews are doctored and they only publish good ones on their website.

I would imagine there are much better resorts in this area. the only saving grace was the beach.

Stayed: March 2008