“Truly Amazing”

Grand Palladium Palace Resort Spa & Casino
Ranked #16 of 112 Hotels in Punta Cana
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Reviewed 9 December 2008

Spent 2 wonderful weeks at the end of October in the sun and ocean at the Grand Palladium Palace. We went down with another couple and none of us have any complaints. The hotel was great. We were in awe when we got there. We had Jr lofts and they were spacious and clean. As far as the food goes, well we never made it to an a-la-carte restaurant because we were impressed with the food at the buffets. There is something for everyone. The pool area and grounds were always kept clean and the flowers and palm trees are beautiful to look at. One thing we all agreed upon was how nice and friendly the staff was. We met some great people and had a blast. This was an excellent vacation and would recommend it to our friends.

• Stayed: October 2008, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Cdn-sunseekers
There are newer reviews for Grand Palladium Palace Resort Spa & Casino

Reviewed 7 December 2008

We stayed at the Royal suites section of the grand palladium palace for 4 nights, and found it very nice and quiet. We had a great room on the 3rd floor of the 5100 building, which is over the lobby, and with a direct view of the pool and ocean. The pool and beach section of this area was very nice...quiet and the chairs were much nicer than the other pools. We never had a problem getting a chair, although we did go in the morning and put our towels on some chairs, so we could get under the shade if we wanted to. It was very nice to have the mini fridge stocked each day with sodas, water and beer, and we got a very nice fruit basket with a bottle of rum one evening . The complex was big, but we found walking not bad at all, the maps are all along the walkways to help you find where you want to go. The train runs about every 10-15 mins with about 13 stops throughout the 4 resorts. The casino wasnt much, but we had fun in it . maybe about 20-25 nickel slots, which do take american money, then they give you tokens which you can exchange for american bills. The buffets were good, especially the one at the bavarro resort. Dominican night was fantastic, dont miss it. You get a shot of the famous Mamajuana when you go in !! Only ala carte restuarants we used were the gourmet in the royal suites area ( which we were no thrilled with ) and the arricefe in the bavarro section near the beach , which was very nice and beautiful. We didnt do any of the excursions, just relaxed by the beach and pool and had a blast . We will probably go back , and would recommend this place to others. The staff was very nice and everyone understood a little english, some more than others, but we had no problems with that.

• Stayed: December 2008, travelled as a couple
5  Thank pbinn310
Reviewed 12 November 2008

We went as a party of 10 ranging in ages from 12 - 71 to celebrate my parents golden wedding anniversary. Everything went well from check-in to departing. We had 5 rooms in block 82 with sea views, perfect. We loved the look of the whirlpool baths in the rooms on the website, but tried it once and didn't fill it up enough and sprayed the room with water, be careful. I think most people would only use the bath once. One of the queries we had which I couldn't find an answer to on any website was how the toilets were situated and if you had another shower other than the one over the bath. There is a sliding door off of the bedroom which houses the toilet and a separate shower. The rooms were clean and spacious and the mini-bar refilled every day of coke, fanta and beer with plenty of water. We found the food to be good, we are also foodies and if we were expecting fine dining we would have chosen our hotel accordingly. It was as expected with plenty of choice for most tastes. The only problem we found was the breakfast in La Torres buffet was cold, we remedied this by having fresh eggs and toast or else putting things through the toaster. Service very friendly and helpful, it helps if you tip for attentive service in restaurants, bars and rooms, take plenty of single dollar bills. Pool clean and plenty of room and beds although we only used the pool in the palace. The beach restaurant was closed due to it being low season, this we found annoying as we had paid extra due to it being half-term in england. It did open for our last couple of days and felt we didnt miss out much by going to La Uva for snacks and lunch, in fact is was much nicer having lunch there. The beach was absolutely beautiful, great for swimming and walking. Plenty of beds, although my brother in law is an early riser and managed to get our beds in the same place every day so maybe it wouldn't have been so easy if he wasnt with us. People do save beds even though the hotel asks you not to. We started off using the train to get around as we thought the resort was much bigger than it actually is, in fact once we got our bearings the walk to the furthest point of the hotel away from us could only be 10 mins max. Do try all the restaurants and bars as they all vary slightly. At Hemmingways for example you could get a glass of Cava which you couldn't anywhere else. The spa was very nice and our 2 teenage girls loved the peace there, although for the last couple of days they couldn't get in as they had changed the policy to reservation only, if you do go enjoy the peace and the nicely padded beds. It did need more for teenagers in the evenings, the disco was mainly older people and the club only went up to age 12, our children were fine with us but I can imagine it would be a problem for some.
All in all we had a great time and I would recommend this hotel for a relaxing beach holiday.

• Stayed: October 2008, travelled with family
5  Thank kimbo47
Reviewed 27 October 2008

We stayed in the Royal Junior suites section of the resort. The rooms were nice and roomy, however, not as pretty as the pictures. For example, there were thin cracks in the wall in the bathroom and the room overall was basically average. The good news is that the service was excellent. All employees were friendly and the reception staff was very helpful. We also really enjoyed the private beach area of the resort. It was very nice and we especially enjoyed the variety of chairs, the "beach beds", and the views of the ocean. Overall, the grounds of the resort were very nice.

The downside of the trip for us was the food. We are foodies and I would say are picky eaters. We favor a vegetarian and low fat diet, and finding food that we liked was sparse. Starting with the breakfast, the milk was whole fat and warm. The cereal was tasteless and mushy. Therefore, we basically ate eggs, pancakes, waffles and yogurt every day. Since we normally have a light breakfast consisting of low fat cereal, this type of food was too heavy. The only fruit we enjoyed was the pineapple. We did not like the cantelope and the watermelon was tasteless. Also, the juices mostly tasted like sugar water. The upside of the breakfast was the coffee, however, do not look for skim milk. Moving on to lunch. The variety was plentifull, however, in preferring a vegetarian diet, the only food we ate was salad (iceberg lettuce, cucumbers and black/green olives), cheese pizza which was very good, pasta, french fries, and chips and cheese, The highlight of the food was the desserts, they were very good. However, we typically eat a low fat diet, so as you can see, there was very little low fat eating on this trip. In regards to dinner, we went to 2 ala carte restaurants. The first nite we went to the seafood restaurant, and everything was very salty and was average. We also went to the Spanish restaurant, and it was again barely average. In general the seafood at the restaurants was not good. I expected more. The other nites we dined at the buffet, and more of the same food we had at lunch. For us, food was a necessity and we filled our stomach's, however, it was not enjoyable. I wish I could be more optimistic, but for us, we will not stay at this resort again due to the food. I will say that a few of the guests we spoke to said they liked it, however, they are meat eaters and may not be as picky. In closing, we found the Dominican Republic beaches beautiful, the service very good, however, the food was too big of an issue for us, therefore, we are going to stick to vacationing at the Bahama's or Mexico where the food is of higher quality. Good luck!

• Stayed: October 2008, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Enfjleo
Reviewed 20 October 2008

I do realize I'm writing this review late I went last year in May, but I have to say I loved this resort. We said VIP where we had our own private pool, swim up bar, and private beach. This section is for 18+ so if want to be away from the chaos I would totally recommend upgrading to that section. The resort is huge and involves walking unless you wait for thr trolley which we did most of the time. The food was very good we always found something we liked. Our favorite a la carte restaurant was the spain restaurant I would def recommend the steak it was great. As VIP you get unlimited reservations. We also ate at the mexican and japanese rest. and we both very good also they only restaurant that was alittle disppointing was the italian one. The service is amazing, all the employees work so hard to accommodate you and I tipped. Tips are suppose to be included but I still did and they appreciate it so much. The shows were pretty good and the club was very good they managed to get everyone up to dance so be prepared. the employees will grab you and dance with you. The drinks were good but once you tip them they make it extremely strong FYI. The beach was gorgeous we also went parasailing which was so much fun and I totally recommend it even if you are scared of heights because I am. You can see how beautiful the island really is. The only thing is I wouldnt recommend leaving the resort thats for sure! But the reason I loved this resort is there was no reason to leave we never got bored. We stayed for 8 days. We also got massages on the beach, I work in the spa industry so I have had many massages before but that was the best massage my boyfriend and I have ever had. Obviously this was a yr ago so I dont know if you'll get the same people or experience. But theres so much to do. You would like it. When I go back to punta cana I will probably try a different resort because there are so many. but I would recommend this place for anyone. If you are honeymoooners, couples or just all adults do the VIP. but the resort is great for families also.

• Stayed: May 2007, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Beautyconsultant
Reviewed 29 September 2008

This past January '08, my family did a family vacation to the Grand Palladium Palace. This was the first time my family has been down south on a vacation, where as I have been south several times, so I was quite curious about what my family would have to say about everything.

I'll start off with the check-in process where it was super smooth as when we arrived, we were the only ones checking in at the time and were greeted with warm face cloth and drinks . We were instructed to leave our luggage at the check-in and proceed to our rooms. After about 10 minutes, there was a knock at our door and the porters brought our luggage right into our room for us, which was very nice. Of course we tipped the gentleman for being so nice and courteous.

We had two rooms, both which were lofts, located on the second floor. The main floor had a jacuzzi tub, washroom with toilet and stand-up shower, sink with vanity light, very large closet and in-room safe. Also, there was a nice sitting area, with a pullout couch, fully stocked bar, and balcony to the outside. There was a staircase up to the main bedroom with a king size bed. Room was kept immaculately clean during the entire week; we did tip our maid and leave little gifts everyday, but I'm sure we'd still receive great service even if we didn't.

Our building, building 81 or 82 (I forget), was located directly by the beach, which was very convenient if we ever needed to run back to the room for anything. Really, the Palace section is very compact which makes everything very accessible.

The beach itself was gorgeous; very soft sand and palm trees everywhere. Finding lounge chairs did seem like a bit of a challenge sometimes, due to the resort being super busy, but we always did find some. As many people have said, you can get some earlier if you throw down some towels on the loungers early in the morning. The ocean did seem a bit wavy at times with the waves breaking closer to shore, but if swim out a little bit, it was fine. Funny thing is that after a few cerveza's, if you didn't watch out for the waves, the waves would knock you on you [--] lol

When we were there, the resort was trying this thing with the A La Cartes where it was a "first come, first serve" approach opposed to the normal "reservation" approach; not sure if this has changed since then. My parents tried this a few nights and they ended up waiting in line for about an hour. The rest of us just ate at the main buffet were they did have different theme nights, but generally, it was same food during the week. The food was average to good, so anyone can find something to curb their appetite.

Another great thing about Grand Palladium is whatever section you stay in, you have access to the other sections as well; minus access to the Royal Suites section. Every morning, I would go for a walk with my mom and check out the other sections of the resort. The Punta Cana and Bavaro sections seemed more spread out compared the Palace, which has everything close together. The other sections had some more things to offer to do offer due to their size: more A La Cartes, sports bar, activity centre, etc., but that didn't bother us because either a short walk or catching a ride on the train would solve that situation.

The Bavaro section seemed to have the most night life going on; I think due to the fact it is the largest section and the disco and sports bar is located in that section as well. It also seemed like younger people (early to late 20's) stayed in the there too; cheaper than the Punta Cana and Palace sections.

In the end, even though it was their first trip down south, my family loved everything about the resort and would be happy to return to it and recommend it to any one else.

I would recommend the Palace section just for the convenience of rooms, beach, pool, lobby and buffet section being located so close to one another.

• Stayed: January 2008, travelled with family
6  Thank Wazzy99
Reviewed 29 September 2008

Hi, just got back off two amazin weeks staying in Punta Cana at the Grand Pallidium Palace Resort and Spa, i was there from teh 1st of sept to teh 15th and went with Thomsons. Firstly here is my first BIG tip, bring some small change for tipping (1 dollar bills) because this is a tipping country, the second your bag comes off that converbelt it begins. They whisk your bag off to your air conditioned bus (which is relief after stepping off to extreme heat) and being a kind sole tipped the guy $10 because i had nothing smaller, wont make that mistake again but at least i got a smile

Leaving the airport, you notice at how much this country is in the 'developing' stage. Everywhere seems to have electricity but a lack of roads makes for an interesting journey. Travelling at unstricted speeds on roads with pot-holes the size of paddling pools filss you with frills and a sense of 'your going to die'. Take the in the enviroment around you beyond teh construction and roads to the untouch, beautiful surrondings

You arrive at the hotel (you are 'recommended' to tip the driver) to a complimentry glass of 'unknown' which is very nice. After a short check-in at one of the three beautiful looking receptions, you are given your room card and are instructed to leave your bags and they will be delivered by 'safri' looking bell boys.

This is where the place excells itself, we spent extra for a junior suite and we wheer not disappointed. Marble floors, jacuzzi, beautiful furniture, mini-bar, safe and two tvs (plenty of english channels and lots of movies), one for downstairs and one for upstairs where there was a very large king sized bed with seperate air-con.

I will firstly confirm rumours from some of the other reviews, yes the safe does flash low battery ever so often but just try your 'own pre-set' code to open/close. Yes teh electricity does go off ever so often but they work extremely hard to ensure it returns. The towel boys do look miserable??? and there is teh major problem of sun lounge being taken as early as 5am but this didnt really affect us as it was the low season. Our mini-bar was filled evryday, where as others found it ever so often. Lastly we could enjoy al'cart everynight, there was not a limit of 5 times over teh two weeks but taht may be due to being low season

The weather was amazing although we did suffer two days of crazy tropical storms courtesy of hurrician Ike but apart from that we had 34C days and 31C nights, this place never goes cold.

I did two trips, firstly the Manati Park, swimming with dolphins, after being warned by our thomson rep that this isnt a recommend trip it was the only way to swim with dolphins in our price range $85 per person to Thomsons $415 to ocean world! The experince with the dolphins was good, the dvd worked back home but the dolphins pen is extremly small. The park itself is alright, you get bothered alot to get money out of you but a nice surpise was that a park keeper took us around and took us actual into parrots and igunas cages which was amazing, so he deserved a nice tip!
Second trip was on the monster safri trucks, booked through our hol rep for around $99 each, i wont spoil this for but its worth it, MAKE SURE YOU EAT, they supply plenty of alchol and non-alchol drinks and becareful of teh begging kids, one had a mobile!!!!!

Overall the hotel is amazin, the beach is beautiful, the sea is warm and looks stunning. but i give you one caution, be careful, every1 who doesnt work for teh hotel wants your money, they allow some people onto teh complex and beaches trying to sell you excursions/trips and others to sell gifts, this gets annoying. Finnaly do not go to teh shops on teh beach, they will try to con you but i found that the prices on the hotel complex for gifts were actually cheaper???? so just be cautious!

Enjoy your holiday and i know i will be revisting this amazing place.

• Stayed: September 2008, travelled as a couple