Grand Palladium Palace Resort Spa & Casino
Melia.com
US$639
Iberostar.com
  • Breakfast included
Paradisus Punta Cana Resort(Punta Cana)(Great Value!)
US$375
US$315
  • Breakfast included
The Reserve at Paradisus Palma Real(Punta Cana)(Great Value!)
US$459
US$2,112
US$1,408
US$1,198
  • Breakfast included
Barcelo Bavaro Beach - Adults Only(Punta Cana)(Great Value!)
US$462
US$463
US$204
7,126 results
All reviewsloft suitesports barlas torresa la carte restaurantsel bohiobavaro sectiontravel clubpublic relationsjapanese restaurantdominican republicadult poolroyal gourmetbeautiful beachmake reservationsair transatjacuzzi tubgreat vacation
FilterAll languages

June 4-11, 2009

we paid per person = $638 + $315 taxes (canadian) toronto - punta cana - air transat. deluxe room.

Arrived @ the resort around 9:30 pm, we do not know where to go. we felt lost. The resort is too big.
But all guests are friendly so we find our way around simply by asking around...
Most guests are couples, and in our age group, late 20's early 30's... Not recommended if you are single with friends. around 19-25... not so much of party resort....

1. Staff - very friendly... look for Carlos and Roberto @ the bar by the palace reception... Ask them to make you "dominican flower" mixed drink... it was not on the menu of drinks but they made it for us... He said that was their specialty mixed drink. or ask them for "Amigo Special" this 2 drinks are the best!!! we tipped them often so they give me and my hubby special treatment and gave him premium liquor...

2. A la carte - Unlimited and no reservations. No line ups...
For the whole week we were there, we only have to wait in line @ the Italian restaurant because this restaurant is small. I gave the girl $2.xx usd and she let us in right away. My hubby and i went restaurant A la carte hopping to try different kinds of food.
You are allowed to do this because you are staying @ the palace. its great because if you do not like the food, go to a diff restaurant...
- Brazillian and the Japanesse.... food & service is really good.
- Do not go to Mexican, waste of time!!! service is slow & food is not good!
- Bamboo - asian food, not bad.
- International/Seafood - you have to pay $30.00 for the lobster.
- Italian restaurant - its good if you like pasta. No Veal on the menu.

Snack bar is by the bavarro side, they called it sports bar. 24hrs snack...

3. Room needs to do some updating. Pillow is small and thin. You have to pay $3/day to get a nice pillow. "they have a pillow menu" Some guest we talked to complaints about the air conditioning on their room, we didn't have any problem because we are smart....the best way to have your room cold, leave the other card on the slot when you leave the room so that it doesn't shut down the electricity and carry the other one. close the blinds so that the sun does not go thru in the room...

4. its faster to walk than to wait for the train.

5. call the guest service before going to the restaurant to check what time they are open.
it says on the sheet, they are open @ 6pm, but they opened @ 6:30pm. They said, June is a low season, not all resaturants are open so make sure you call the guest service to confirm if the restaurant you wanted to go is open or closed.

6. Beach and the pools are well maintained. lots of chairs.

7. Day & Night entertainment is fun. prizes are rum or t-shirt or coffee or baseball cap.

Reminder to tip the staff @ the beginning, they will treat you very well, you will definitely not regret it.

btw, the music that you will keep hearing is the Que Tengo Que Hacer by omega

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled as a couple
6  Thank jnjeff
Reviewed 12 June 2009

So many things went wrong that I am going to have to edit. My wife and I went for a week (May31- June 7) on our 40th anniversary. Took my son, grandson, and daughter-in-law.

When we arrived the room was very warm. Something I never found in the previous reviews, they give you 2 room card keys. One you have to put in a slot on the wall that turns on your electricity. They ask you to take this card when you leave the room, which turns off all the electricity in the room. That means your air conditioning, refrigerator, all lights, wall sockets containing clocks. I asked the bell boy, Apple Rep, and several people staying there, they all said leave the card in the slot.

So we put our card in the slot and the electricity went on, heard the air conditioner go on. Two hours later it was even warmer in our room. Looked at thermostat 28 degrees centigrade or 82 farenheit. Obviously something wasn't right. Called to get this fixed, nobody shows up till next day. He said if we leave the back door to balcony open it turns off air. I pointed out that the themostat seemed to be broken and that no air was being blown out like it was in my sons room. He was sure it was working, didn't even look.

I was skeptical but went to beach. I came back to my room, late afternoon, it was even warmer and very humid in my room. Went to call for help but phone didn't work. Decided to go to the bathroom, but there was no water. Went to my son's room to call front desk, They said water problem was system wide and they were working on it. Said they would fix the other problems. We went to dinner .

Came back and still not fixed, called from son's room said I need this fixed. They sent me to another room to sleep and said they would fix my room. By now it is very late. We went to other room but in the confusion I had locked key card in my room. I called from other room for another key. I said I would pick it up but they insisted they would send me up another. I waited thirty five minutes no key, called again, Jose at front desk informed me that his boss told him not to send it, because they were afraid I would move into the new room. Until then I had not been mad but that was the last straw. I explained to Jose that without a key I can't get in my room in the a.m. and at the very least he could have called me to tell me this, instead of leaving me up till 12:30 in a.m.. I explained I had no intention on moving upstairs and this whole thing is ridiculous. He said he would send another key and 10 minutes later it arrived.

Mid morning the next day, maintainence arrived said my thermostat was broken and fixed it. Still never fixed the phone and the phone never worked our whole stay which I explained was a problem since my wife has an elderly mother that needs to contact us if there are any problems.

So now we were in air conditioned bliss for 2 more days until housekeeping pulled our card out of the slot and took it. I asked my son and others, they said they never took theirs. I went to customer relations and explained to her, that shutting off the refrigerator and recooling the room several times a day is just silly. She called housekeeping and said they would not do this anymore. She said it didn't turn off refrigerator which I checked, found her to be mistaken. This call meant nothing for 2 more times housekeeping pulled the card up shutting off the electricity.

Other problems:
Train transport - we walked most places when possible. You could take the train transport during the day rather easily, it was not too crowded. However, in the evening and especially if it rained, you were pretty much stuck where you were because the train was full. They have one train that comes around every 15 to 20 minutes.

Pillows- We had a king size bed with two pillows that were so bad they had seperated in the middle. You could upgrade your pillows for $3 a day per pillow. You could ask for more of the low grade pillows for free. I did this, they never arrived. Asked at front desk and through my Apple Rep. If you rely on a pillow to sleep, bring your own.

Communication- the company makes no attempt to communicate any changes or problems. For example La Uva buffet was closed when we were there, no effort was made at front desk through memo or anything to explain this to you. We were told that La Uva served a late breakfast, went there and was told to go to El Behique, this was closed, told to go to El Bohio, which was also closed. This kind of lack of communication prevailed throughout our stay.

Despite all this, we had a blast. The Saona Island and Marinarium excursions were great. The beach and ocean were fabulous. So I recommend the Domincan just don't stay here.

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled with family
1  Thank JOHNstl
Reviewed 12 June 2009

We stayed at the Grand Pallidium Palace May 30-June 7, 2009. Due to the reviews we read we thought it would be a great experience. I dont know if it was a bad week or what the deal was. First of all with the posiitves, beach was incrediable, food decent, no reservations needed for ala carte restaurants. service was excellent. now for the negative. rooms were very hot and our air conditioing never worked, they kept saying they would get to it tomorrow, which never happened. we had 2 rooms. my wife and daughter in one and my son and myself directly above them. we were woken to a horrible noise one night. the room next to us had a water pipe burst and flooded the room. the people staying in the room were in ankle deep water. we had to put towels at our door so water would not come in. water then poured out into the hallway over the railing onto the next floor and went through the ceiling to the room below. they were almost in knee deep water in their room, AND SINCE THEIR LUGGAGE WAS ON THE FLOOR ALL THEIR BELONGINGS WERE SOAKED AND FLOATING IN THE FLOOD.. both rooms reported crabs, snails, and lizards floating in the mess. Took maintenance 90 minutes to respond even with frantic phone calls. took us 3 hours and four phone calls before they would even check on our air conditioning. I heard numerous complaints from guests on how hot their rooms were and how uncomfortable it was. I ALSO STRONGLY SUGGEST THAT IF YOU STAY AT THE PALLIDIUM, YOU AT LEAST STAY AT BAVARO, NOT THE PALACE OR PUNTA CANA. BAVARO HAD A NICER LOBBY AND THAT IS WHERE THE 24 HOUR SPORTS BAR IS LOCATED. ROOM ACCOMODATIONS WOULD HAVE BEEN MORE COMFORTABLE IN A SUPER 8. HOWEVER THE STAFF WAS EXTREMLY NICE, BUT I DID NOT FIND THE FRONT DESK STAFF TO BE AS HELPFUL AS THE REST OF THE EMPLOYEES. ALSO EXPECT THE MAIDS TO COME TO YOUR ROOM EVERY NIGHT AROUND 11:00PM TO DELIVER FRESH TOWELS. IF YOU HAVE NEVER BEEN TO DOMINICAN REPUBLIC AND ARE TAKINIG KIDS KEEP IN MIND THE TOPLESS WOMEN ARE NOT JUST AT THE BEACH BUT AT THE POOL AS WELL.

Stayed: June 2009, travelled with family
1  Thank weebes
Reviewed 10 June 2009

WE stayed from May 25 thru June 1, and heard about all the rain, but our week there, the weather was beautiful, not too hot, nice breezes, blue skies. The beach is like nothing I have ever seen, so my husband and I were at the beach everyday, being lazy, swimming, walking ( you could walk for miles if you wanted too), and hitting the 3 beach side bars! Never had trouble finding a lounger. And at night we found ourselves back at the beach for a romantic walk.
My girlfriend liked the pools better, and she had 4 to choose from. Lounge chairs were stacked up all around the pools, so I don't know why so many reviews say ther are none.
WE were in room 6914 close to 2 reception areas, restaurants, casino, shopping area, and a pool, bar, and breakfast buffet just a few steps to the right. Room was typical of other places we have stayed in Mexico, nice, clean, etc.
If you say you didnt like the food, you are ordering the wrong thing, or at the wrong buffet for your tastes. I liked the beach club restaurant where I got an awesome T-Bone steak and some kind of chocolate bomb dessert...heaven. We didn't have to eat at the same place twice until the last night when we went back to my friend's favorite.
The Palace area seemed to be central to most everything at the whole Palladium resort. WE were very happy with our vacation, and would recommend this beautiful hotel.

• Stayed: May 2009, travelled with friends
5  Thank KaroDunlap
Reviewed 7 June 2009

Like so many people we was meant to be going to Mexico, but because of the swine flu we had to make other arrangements. We arrived to dark skies and heavy looking clouds, but we’ve been to the Caribbean before so we knew there would be a bit of rain.
The airport at Punta Cana, (shed) is very basic and it was chaos, reps not knowing what they was doing and we was just told to get in line, we was put in line for around 45 mins just to be told that was our coach about 100m away, not happy when you have just travelled 9 hours.
The drive the hotel was interesting, I no the reason why its called poor mans Caribbean, it was like a rubbish tip. We were well greeted at the hotel, with a cooling glass of the good stuff, and showed to our rooms.
The rooms were ok definitely not lush or fancy and do need a lot of updating. Hours later we was being emergency evacuated out of the room due to flash floods. This is were the fun began. I had to argue to get a new room even though the water was thigh high, and there was no help, they was totally unprepared, not good service.
In total we had 4 rooms due to a/c not working and floods.
The food in some restaurants was very good and some poor, our fav was Japanese (sea Bass) but get there early long cues, best time 7:00pm.
The best bit about the holiday was the beach, lovely, bring snorkelling gear for the fish.
Overall the holiday was ok, wouldn’t go back though, way too many problems and definitely not a 5*, however it is a cheap holiday, and if you have a lot of patience and thick skin you will have a good time.

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled as a couple