“Great place with a few setbacks”

Punta Cana Princess All Suites Resort & Spa
Ranked #29 of 113 Hotels in Punta Cana
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 13 August 2014

3 couples ages 22 - 28

First the setbacks. We arrived at the resort around 3:15pm (check-in is at 3) and only one of the three couples that went were able to get into their room. The other two where not ready. It took another hour to get into our room. We were told to leave our bags at the front of the resort and the bags would be in out room when the room was ready. My wife and I and the other couple that didn't get in their room until we did had to wait until almost 5pm to get out bags and that only happend because we went back to the lobby and complained.

Another draw back was the constant nagging from people wanting to sell you stuff and I'm not talking about just the beach. The people at the stand by the pool in front of the snack bar were just as annoying as the excursion people on the beach. I understand that they are trying to make a living but im there to relax and not to be nagged everytime I try to go eat.

Now time for the positives. The place was beautifull. The grounds crew there does an excellent job of making this place look amazing. It actually looked like the pictures online. Becasue of them you actually felt like you were in paradise.

The food and bars were also great. Top notch food and drinks that taste amazing. The restruant staff was friendly, the food was presented like a 5 star restruant would, and the taste was amazing. The bar tenders were fun to talk to and can make a great drink and if you asked for more alcohol in your drink you got it.

Since I spent most of my time either on the beach, by the bar, or in the pool I did not pay much attention to the animation team but what I did see of them they really knew of to get the people involved in whatever they were doing.

Even with the setbacks we would consider going back to this resort.

Room Tip: Building 4 has a great view of the pool.
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank JoeJ0711
PrincessHotelsRD, General Manager at Punta Cana Princess All Suites Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 15 August 2014

Dear JoeJ0711,

We would like to thank you for choosing Punta Cana Princess for your holidays and also for sharing your experience with us. Each criticism, compliment and recommendation will help us to improve our standards of services.

Thank you very much for your positive comments about the grounds, food, bars, as well as the staff.

We deeply regret that you couldn’t enjoy to the fullest and we hope you understand that it was never our intention to disappoint you in anyway.

All in all, thank you very much for your feedback and hope to host you again in the future at Punta Cana Princess.

Punta Cana Princess All Suites Resorts and Spa

Write a ReviewReviews (6,091)

Reviewed 13 August 2014

My husband and I stayed at the PCP for a week in July. We were in building 1. We did not have a view of the ocean or the pool but we were still happy with our room. It was clean. The only thing bad about the room is that it's hard to get wash cloths. I knew this before hand so I took our own in a zip lock bag. The food was good. The staff was friendly. The beach was AWESOME! The only complaint I have is an issue when we left. I will take 100% the blame but I feel the situation could have been handled a little differently. While in the lobby waiting on the shuttle to take us back to the airport my husband and I had our camera laying between us. When we left I thought he had it and he thought I had it. After we arrived to the airport we realized we had left our camera in the lobby. After we got back to the US I called PCP. I kept getting transferred to different people and was told to call back in 10 min. Once I called back they told me I had the wrong number and hung up on me. They could have kept the camera, I just wanted the memory card. Like I said, I take full blame for leaving my camera I just feel like they could have just kindly told me they had not had one turned in. Even though we had this issue we will return to this resort again!

1  Thank Tara E

Dear Tara E,

It gives us great pleasure to extend our gratitude to you for having dedicated a bit of your time to write about your experience here at Punta Cana Princess.

We are deeply honoured by your comments towards our hotel room, staff, food, as well as the beach.

We regret to hear the situation of the camera, the phone calls and the wash clothes. For that we are very sorry, as you know this is not the type of service we provide.

Once again, thank you for airing your feedback, there is no doubt that you enjoyed your first stay and so we await your next here at Punta Cana Princess.

Cordially,

Reviewed 12 August 2014

Excellent service and the food was very good ! Entire staff is very nice and the animation is great!The beach is clean and the view is belle.C'est hotel very well and I recommend it.I had a great time with my boyfriend.

Dear Isabelle V,

We thank you kindly for having taken the opportunity to comment about your stay at our hotel Punta Cana Princess.

It is always pleasant to learn that our guests were able to enjoy their stay to the fullest while under our care and we are truly grateful to have received your good opinion about our hotel and the service we provide, taking into account that our main objective is to surpass your expectations.

Once again, we appreciate your feedback and we will be more than happy to give you a warm welcome on your upcoming visit to Punta Cana Princess.

Reviewed 11 August 2014

We were a group of 6 friends( aged 23 to 26) and we stayed at the PCP for 5 nights in July 2014. I must say we had a blast!!!! This was my first time and I totally enjoyed it. All inclusive resort, amazing service, food for everyone, friendly and great staff, night entertainment, spectacular beach side. The jacuzzi in the room was relaxing. Rooms were equipped with drinks, towels, slippers, beach bag, TV, water. We called for food at 3 am and had no problem. The resort shuttle took us to the other Princess Resort and the Disco. We used the pool and the food places at the Caribe Princess as well. However, PCP was just fantastic, relaxing and worth the money. I would definitely want to go back again!!

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
7  Thank Val07777
PrincessHotelsRD, General Manager at Punta Cana Princess All Suites Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 12 August 2014

Dear Valencia D,

It gives us great pleasure to extend our gratitude to you for having dedicated a bit of your time to write about your experience here and to know that you had THE BEST TIME EVER at Punta Cana Princess.

We are deeply honoured by your comments towards our hotel and staff, food, service as well as the rooms.

Reviewed 11 August 2014

We had a very memorable honeymoon thanks to the beautiful beaches, clean resort, and excellent friendliness of staff at Princess Punta Cana!!! Staff worked constantly to maintain the cleanliness of the resort and grounds. Can't beat the All Inclusive package!

1  Thank Ashley B

Dear Ashley B,

It is quiet comforting to learn about the wonderful experience you had here at Punta Cana Princess, especially since it was one of the most important days of your life.

We are truly honoured by your compliments and we are glad that we were able to contribute to the creation of an unforgettable event for you. It is pleasing to know that we were able to surpass your expectations and we hope to continue doing the same for our other guests.

It gives us great pleasure to once again thank you for describing the time you spent here and we hope to expect you for a future visit at Punta Cana Princess.

Reviewed 11 August 2014

My girlfriend and I stayed at this resort for 5 nights in the first week of August. It had been several years since we had had a vacation for just the two of us, so we were really looking forward to it, and we weren't disappointed by this resort. We booked with Gogo Vacations for a platinum suite that came with VIP inclusions. Our room was 4107, second floor in building 4. I think any room in buildings 4 and 5 would be good for the view, and the side of building 1 that faces the ocean. Buildings 2 and 3 would be closer to the lobby and buffet, but since everything is close anyway, you might as well have a nice view. All rooms face out towards the grounds, pool, and ocean. The grounds of the resort are just beautiful and very well kept. Neat little statues, palm trees. One thing I thought was cool was that on the ash trays on top of trash cans, employees drew the princess logo in the sand.
The room: No bugs or mildew. The phone only worked half of the time though, other times you just heard static. I heard others complain about their phones also. The Jacuzzi tub was nice, but took probably half an hour to fill up. The jets were on the bottom of the tub, so keep your drinks up high to avoid splashing. We did have a towel swan and flower petals when we arrived along with three cigars and a bottle of rum. I agree with some other reviewers about the showers- the grade isn't really sufficient to drain properly. The water didn't go all over the bathroom, just slightly outside of the door, but when two people shower together, water really doesn't drain too well. Soap residue can stay on the floor after a shower due to slow draining in the corner. The toilet area was fine for us, but larger folks might find it a bit tight. The lighting in the bathroom was pretty poor as others have noted. Bad for shaving, bad for makeup, bad for contact wearers. Our fridge was restocked daily with two Presidente beers, sodas and water if we drank them. The maids put extra bottles of water by the sink when they saw we used them for brushing teeth. One note about maid service- there wasn't a set schedule. Some days they'd come by 9:30, other days it might be 5:30 in the afternoon. Maids would come around about 8:30 to collect beach towels and give you fresh ones for the next day. The safe in the room was digital with a 4 digit code, no problems there. I did my Secret Service impersonation and protected some Presidentes in there so I could have more than two in the room at a time. The electrical outlets were three pronged so they'll fit whatever cords you have. Our TV remote didn't work (we never bothered to complain about it as we weren't there to watch TV). Flipping channels on the side of the TV, we saw that channel 96 shows low quality movies of the kind appropriate to the age restrictions of the resort, if you're interested.
The beach: Great powdery white sand, lots of chairs. Chairs under umbrellas and beds were usually taken quickly, so plan ahead a bit if you want those. There was one bar on the beach, and another at the edge of the beach, and servers came around occasionally if you couldn't be bothered to walk 20 feet. I'm not sure if it was worse because there was a tropical depression in the area, but the seaweed was pretty thick in the ocean. Not the slimy kind, more of a bristly kind. The staff did make an effort to clean the beach, but it constantly washed up, so you'll see a lot of it. But the water was just awesome aside from the seaweed, nice and warm. As a side note, we went to Macao Beach on a dune buggy excursion, and there was no seaweed there.
The restaurants: The Casabe buffet is where you'll want to eat breakfast. There is a very small buffet at Mare Nostrum by the beach but it's very limited. Casabe has lots of options. My favorite thing of all the restaurants was it's juice bar at breakfast. Fresh crushed juice from pineapple, banana, tamarind, watermelon, cantaloupe, etc. Just awesome. The scrambled eggs were prepared watery though, so I didn't care for those. Omelet station was good, coffee was great. My girlfriend doesn't drink coffee, and she had coffee every morning there. Mimosas are decent to start off your day. Mare Nostrum for dinner is good, we had the seafood paella. Fondue restaurant was also good, but our oil kept cooling off rapidly. We ordered a dinner for two, and it was really only enough for one person, so we ended up getting another plate. Dessert there was wonderful. We tried the Tex-Mex one night, and it was pretty disappointing. Nothing was really very good there. One thing we did enjoy though was the Punta Cana Trio, musicians that came to the restaurants and sang to each table. They were very talented. We didn't go to the Italian restaurant. We did go to the Dominican restaurant at the Caribe Princess next door (you just have to make reservations ahead of time) and that was pretty good. Saw some peacocks and their babies wandering around. We had reservations to go to the Brazilian restaurant at Caribe Club but due to excessive time spent at the swim-up bar, we missed out. The Casabe buffet was pretty good for dinner too we thought.
The pool was decent sized and never felt crowded. The lack of screaming children was so nice, I can't even describe how relaxing it is. Swim-up bar was amazing due to Nelson, the bartender. He seemed to have ESP, and laughed and seemed a bit embarrassed when I asked if he knew he was famous on Tripadvisor. Tip him well, he deserves it.
On Tuesday afternoon and evening, they let vendors set up on the pathways at the resort. They are pretty pushy and annoying to have to deal with, I thought. I understand dealing with them on the streets, but it would be nice to have a haven from them all week at the resort. There is one vendor set up full time by the pool, but they aren't pushy at all. We bought some mamajuana from them that they made up with more honey than normal.
The lobby has free Wifi, it's slow but the key word there is free. You could go there after breakfast to check emails or whatever and the bartenders would be around asking if you wanted a drink. The lobby bar is great, especially Yasmin and Luisa, two sweet ladies who make delicious drinks.
The free shuttle service is nice to get to the other hotels, the disco, and casino. We walked back from the Areito disco and it was a leisurely 10 minute walk. The disco itself was good but a little small. They played a good mix of American pop/R&B and Latin pop. Very danceable even to a non-dancer like myself. Tower Princess Casino is probably a 5 minute shuttle ride. It's not a place you want to stay too long unless you're winning. They'll give you free drinks if you're at a table or machine for a few minutes. There's a couple of roulette and card tables, but just not that exciting.
I know this has been a long and rambling review, but I wanted to touch on as many areas as I could to try to be helpful to potential travelers. Even so, I'm sure there's some things I have left out. For the next few weeks, while it's fresh in my mind, you can message me if you have questions and I'll try to answer as best I can. We had a wonderful vacation at this resort, there's a few little problems, but absolutely nothing detracted from our enjoyment.

Room Tip: Buildings 4 and 5, and ask for a king bed if you're a couple.
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
17  Thank too_poor_2_travel

Dear too_poor_2_travel,

We are truly thrilled to read about the GREAT VACATION you had on your most recent stay here at Punta Cana Princess. We really appreciate the effort you took to post such a review about our resort.

It is always a joy to learn that we were able to fulfill our main principle, which is not only to satisfy but to surpass the expectations of our guests.

We would sincerely like to thank you for taking the opportunity to air your thoughts about our hotel and we will be more than happy to offer you a warm welcome on your next visit to Punta Cana Princess.

Cordially,

Reviewed 10 August 2014

we are still loving this resort. The staff and the beaches make it great

the renovations make the rooms brighter but there is little storage space so be prepared. the washrooms now have glass 3/4 doors which offer limited privacy if you're travelling with other than your spouse.

the food was great as ever at all the restaurants including the buffet which has a different theme every night.

the vendors on site in the evenings were a less than welcome sight as they are aggressive in their sales and do interfere with the hotels clients enjoyment of their stay

these are some things for management to consider

we really like this resort and the staff make it the reason we return!!

looking forward to coming back this season :-)

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple

It is a pleasure to read about the great experience you had with us at Punta Cana Princess. The fact that you had been here 5 times and still great fills us with prides.

We appreciate the fact that you thought the food was great and that our staffs were very nice, we hope to continue to provide such satisfying service to all guests.

We would like to apologize for the vendors and their behaviour, please be assured that internally we will be taking the necessary measures in attempt to eliminate this issue while in the meantime, passing on your comments to their main office to avoid any future inconveniences.

Once again, we thank you for your compliments on our hotel and we hope to expect you in the near future at Punta Cana Princess.