“Service Plus” 5 of 5 bubbles

GreenLeadersBronze level
muskoka
“Service Plus”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 November 2009

Went to PCP Nov 20-27 2009. Check in was fast & friendly. First night we went to the seafood rest. We were sent to the bar while they set up a table for us. Before we were finished our drink they called us. The service again was fast and friendly. From the appetizer to main course, very good. Enjoyed the fondue resturant, Tex Mex, Italian. We went to the asian buffet, the food there was very tastey too! We went to the beach party. Couldn't believe the number of people that attended. The food was very good there as well. It was a perfect night. My husband said you couldn't even dream of such a perfect night. The beach was white sand, no shells or coral. We walked every morning for an hour or two. This resort is perfect for those who want to go and R&R. It would take 5 mins. total to get from beach to front of resort. Great for those who have a hard time walking. All in all I'd go back to this resort in a minute. The Service from the Dominican People was great they couldn't do enough for you and with a smile. Another thing about this resort you didn't have to make reservations for dinner, and we never had to wait. Great Time!!!

8 Thank muskokatraveller25

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (959)
  • Czech first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
michigan
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 November 2009

This place is one of our best trip. MY wife and I have been to the Dom Rep for the past 8 years . Punta Cana Princess is our #1 choose the service is by far the best. This was our 32yr anniversity. This place made it the best one ever.Rooms always clean.The food is fine the pool one of the best. Breakfast in the room was out standing .The day after our ann my wife ordered a plate of antipasta and two bottles of wine this was excellent smoke samon brie and alot more. Thank you Ramon. We stayed 10days and can not say a bad thing.We also read reviews on this place .We just cant understand what people didnot like about this resort.It is small relaxing clean freindly.The pool is great .The beach is beautiful.24hour snack bar . Coffee on the beach at 4:oo am. who can ask for more.Thank you Punta Cana Princess for a great time.

• Liked — service,& staff
      Check-in / front desk
7 Thank caribkid
Boston
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 November 2009

We arrived in PC on 11/15 for an 8 day stay at PCP. We were a party of 6. For my husband and I it was our 8th trip to PC but first to the PCP. All but 2 of the rest of our party had also been to PC before. I think when you've stayed at other 5 star resorts you are a bit more critical of your stay. We had chosen PCP for the beach area which we had seen previously and the adults only aspect. I must say that our first impressions were not so good but definitely got better as the week went on.

The day we arrived we were told that they did not have reservations for us. Talk about stressful! They told us to go get a bite to eat and come back when we were done. We went to the beach buffet. There wasn't anything left to eat and we couldn't find silverware. Not a good first impression. We then went back to the front desk. It was an error on our travel agents part but the management remedied it after a few phone calls. The hotel was at full capacity but they found us rooms all in the same building. That made us very happy! Building 5!!

Our rooms were clean and effecient but not luxurious. That's ok, not alot of time spent there.Liked the aspect of a small resort. Maid service was good. No problems with insects or mosquitoes. My husband enjoyed all of the channels on the flat screen.

Beach area was great! Bar right on the beach and drink service was a plus! Ocean was wonderful!! The only downfall was that you had to play the towel game and get up at 6:00am or you wouldn't get a palapa. They could definitely use a few more.

The pool area was very nice too. We would go there every day late in the afternoon. We never could find a seat so we just took our stuff back to our room first. The animation team was there and were entertaining.

We had our first dinner at the Italian restaurant (very good-chicken with mushrooms). Not so good at the Steak House. We all had the sirloin and they weren't very good cuts of meat. That was dissapointing. A few of us tried the Fondue restaurant and really liked it. Seafood restaurant just ok (very different than New England seafood). Tried both the Asian and Mexican nights at the dinner buffet and was good. Ate at the steak house at the Bavaro Princess our last night. Most of us had the Argentinean steak which was very good. Probably the best meal we had all week. Breakfast and lunch at the main buffet was good. Not as big of a selection as we've had at other resorts but we realized that this was a very small resort. Beach buffet for lunch was hit or miss. Still couldn't get silverware.

Enjoyed the drinks!!! Also like the internet access.

The entertainment was ok. Would have preferred to see shows on a real stage. But the entertainment staff worked very hard. Casino was better than we've seen at any other resort. Quite large and I actually won some money on the slots.

Staff were great! Nelson, Francisco, Ramon, Kenia to name a few. We also met some very nice people from Canada (Dave and his crew). And also met some fellow New Englanders. Definitely Americans were the minority here.

Like I stated previously we have stayed at many really nice resorts in PC. We enjoyed our stay here but it wasn't our favorite. But overall for the price point it was well worth it. We would recommend this resort and may return again some day.

Thank you PCP.
Paula & Ron

4 Thank PaulaB45
Toronto,Ontario
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 November 2009

We traveled to the Punta Cana Princess for a romantic getaway from October 5, 2009 to October 12, 2009. Our tour provider was Sunwing.ca. This was our first experience using Sunwing and it will definitely be our last. This is not our first trip to the Dominican Republic it is our fourth so I can in all good faith tell you there are better resorts and better tour companies.

The arrival process at the Punta Cana airport was excellent and organized and everything went smoothly. It is about 45-mintues from the airport to the hotel but the Punta Cana Princess is the last drop off the bus makes and the first pick up on return so be prepared to spend time on the bus for dropping off and picking up other hotel passengers and their luggage. We waited 20-minutes at one of the hotels for late passengers.

The first thing I will say about the resort is that the grounds are immaculately manicured and there are staff working on the gardens and lawns ALL THE TIME!

At the Punta Cana Princess there was no one there to handle luggage or to greet you. It was the bus guide (Mr. Green) that indicated you needed to take your luggage and get in line at the check in counter. It is not air conditioned in the lobby so if there is any delay it is very hot. The lobby is okay but nothing special. The front desk person that did our check in was extremely rude and unhelpful. We purchased an oceanview room upgrade which we did not receive. When I questioned him on this, he indicated that we didn't pay for ocean view. Luckily I brought all our reservation documents to produce and was then told it didn't matter because they didn't have any oceanveiw rooms. We were at the check in desk for 1.5 hours attempting to straighten out our reservations. I believe it was a combination Sunwing and hotel problem but the Punta Cana Princess was totally uninterested in the fact that we paid an upgrade fee for something they couldn't provide. The issue was never satisfactorily resolved while we were at the resort by either the Sunwing rep or the hotel staff and we were not refunded the money we paid in upgrade fees or compensated in any way.

We also paid for the VIP package which we did not receive. This part of the trip was a total disaster.

We found the meals okay but lacking in variety. The staff in the restaurants are very helpful and attentive. In the fondue restaurant our table was set on fire which was somewhat of an issue. We enjoyed the seafood restaurant the most and found it was also a good lunch option.

The rooms are comfortable but really in need of updating. The maids work very hard to keep the rooms clean and to make sure you have everything you need but we did have daily maintenance issues (ie. broken door locks, broken TV, no towels). We tipped $5.00 a day and felt that it was well worth the money. We also tipped the maid for turndown service although we actually only received turndown service three nights out of seven.

The pool area is very nice. There is only one pool which is a negative at times. You are not harassed by the entertainment staff to participate in activities which we appreciated. Some of the beach and pool furnishings are in need of repair but the pool is clean and the bar is very close. Be sure to take your own insulated mug for drinks as the paper cups are small and do not keep anything cold. The bartenders are very good especially at the bar attached to the seafood restaurant where we spent some very relaxing evenings.

The beach is very nice, not like the beach in Negril but nice. They try to keep it clean but the staff lacks proper equipment to really do a good job. We did not swim at the beach. We did walk the beach every morning and evening. If you don't make eye contact with the vendors on the beach they will not bother you.

At check out again there were luggage issues even though we made sure the night before our departure to book a luggage pick up time with the concierge desk. They still did not show up to get our luggage.

We took bug repellent with us but this was not mosquito season and we didn't need to use it but it is a good item to take just in case.

There is very little entertainment so if you expect wild evenings and lots of entertainment this is not the resort for you. It is peaceful and very relaxing but far from outstanding. I would rate it a three star resort at best and I have been to a lot of all inclusive resorts in the Caribbean.

My biggest complaint is that we have attempted to address our concerns with both Sunwing.ca and the Punta Cana Princess regarding paying for upgrades and services we did not receive. They are totally uninterested in apologizing or even addressing our concerns. I find this total lack of customer service gravely disappointing and unacceptable.

If you end up taking a trip to Punta Cana my advice is there are much nicer resorts for the same money and do not use Sunwing.ca as your tour provider. Air Transat is much more reliable and customer service oriented.

• Stayed October 2009, travelled as a couple
2 Thank jimbob1109
TORONTO
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 November 2009

The review before mine sounds like the wrong hotel! Horrible. Well before I get started I would like to know when that person traveled, if they have ever traveled and if they ever have a smile on their miserable faces ? UGH and i'm not a travel agent but again that's why this trip advisor is in place a forum for POSITIVE and negitive comments........I've traveled at least a dozen times, even got married abroad and have never written a review even on the happiest day of my life selfish I know but after reading this one I had to.

I recently traveled Nov 7th - 14th with 4 other couples, two of which have never traveled or even been on a plane before. Let me begin by saying arrival at PCP was excellent. We were greeted with a welcome drink (worst part no alcohol lol), We arrived at aprox. 12pm local time and check in time was 3:30 so guess what ( ROOMS WERE READY!) (Worst part the fruit basket , cigars and rum was 10min late! OOOO) Our rooms as requested were in the same building, on the same floor , even on the same side and door to door!
Then we went to the buffet 12:30 until 3:00pm perfect. Then we went to the pool to meet this bartender "AWESOME" i'm sure people know me lol I bought mamajuana for everyone... I was having conversations with people that I couldn't understand and they couldn't understand me... The al la cartes were excellent I thought fondue was only chocolate, a bit of a learning curve :( Steak awesome I wanted to return but the trouble was the wife did'nt. We went to Bavaro Princess for japanese excellent again...actually the fastest service I have ever had at an al lacarte with or without a reservation. You would be surprised how far a smile and a thank you will go!!!! Staff great, everyone from the grounds keepers with the coco nuts who let me juggle, to the maids that cleaned our rooms. I could be negitive and say that it did rain our 2nd day and we mopped around but guess what we had breakfast at the buffet with MAMOSA'S !!!!! AGUSTINE!!! Not sure of the spelling but he's truly the best ever! Buffets always had water/coffee/mamosas/juice/pop etc what ever you wanted was avail. pasta station, omlettes, even chicken and steak made to order! It isn't the largest buffet I've been to but with only 270 rooms how big do you think it would be and how many trays of the same thing do you really need? Room service only got it once and it was in the form of 2 glasses of champaine!!!! Who's staying in there room when it 42 degrees with the humidex? I only slept there then wake up to one of the best sun rises in the world right out of the ocean, you have to go every day may be over cast.... hear all my complaints... my wife is laughing, what else ? Everyone there spoke english not well but again better than I've heard before, your in Dominican for %&^%& sake! Over all what can I say a bit dated but it's not several thousand per person. I would recommend this place to anyone. I read reviews for almost a year on all the resorts, then booked this one based on price, location, and adults only. I was really concerned when I learned that the tropical and caribe were closed for reno's actually I was pi&&ed, guess what once I was there I didn't even feel the need to roam this place is really good ! If buddy gets a free trip tell him/her to give it to me I'll have no problem going back! Let me know If you have any questions ill be sure to answer! Remember smile, your on vacation you shouldn't be in a rush enjoy every minuite and savor the seconds...lol it feels like I wrote an infomercial.

12 Thank whitehouze
Ottawa
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 November 2009

We just finished spending the week of the 9th-16th ( 4 women 35-40) at the Punta Cana Princess and had the best holiday ever. From the moment we got off the bus the service we got was impecable!! Baggage was taken care of promptly check in fast and easy with all requests met by the front desk personel.

Rooms were very spacious ..and were very clean...ask for room 4119..perfect view of the ocean and pool area. Yes room service is a little on the slow side but we ARE on Dominican time ( 5 mins=15mins lol) . Food was good...Tex Mex was a hit as well as the Italian. Staff are all extremely helpful and always happy. The beaches are gorgeous. We went vip deluxe through Sunwing and had use of the beach beds!!

Entertainment was a little lacking but that was just due to poor participation of the guests...It doesn't have a disco but we hopped on a cart with driver and danced to our hearts content at the Bavaro princess where they have a casino as well. Transportation was also provided back to our resort.

You have to remember that this is your holiday and you have to make the best of it...For us that meant no cooking no cleaning and no kids!! If you are looking for R&R this is definately for you!!!

• Stayed November 2009, travelled with friends
9 Thank Sunshineottawa
Newport
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 November 2009

I have followed reviews of this resort for a couple of months prior to going there. The only good things about this resort are the pool and beach. Nelson at the pool bar was great and bartenders at lobby bar- that is it. Upon arrival to resort, we wanted something to eat so we went to the beach restaraunt where all there was to eat was chips and cold melted cheese. We were then told to move outside (this happened multiple times to other people in the middle of eating) to order food so they could set up the dinner tables, so we thought ok no big deal. We waited outside at wet tables for 30 minutes with no order taken. There was no where else to go get food so pool bar it was. We thought maybe we just didn't know the system yet, but were a little shocked being new arrivals and not having any service at all. When you go for dinner, 50% of the time you will sit at your table for at least 20 minutes before you are even acknowledged or receive a glass of water. Italian food was ok but the only spice known seems to be salt. Fondue restaraunt seemed really cool but it wasn't. Again service sucked and we only made it thru the appetizer before walking out. Tex Mex- worst service of all. Wait was over an hour at all times and we kept getting asked if we had reservations(there is no reservations) Very rude waitstaff. At Tex Mex I ordered a steak, on the menu it said comes with mixed vegatables. I have a severe allergy to mushrooms so I asked them if there are any on this steak dish (which I heard was supposed to be really good). They said no. When I received my plate, my steak was covered with mushrooms! Again I said I can not eat mushrooms and I need a new cooked steak. He said ok, brought the plate back, and the chef took the plate and wiped the mushrooms off and gave it back!!!!!!!!!!!! I watched him!! At that point I was so disgusted and again walked out. Don't order room service if you are very hungry. This was only the second night of our stay. Expect a 2 hour wait and half of the room service menu you have to pay for. Room service options: continental breakfast or you can pay for eggs and bacon, before 10 pm- pizza, hot dog, soup and salad, and chicken, flan and fruit. After 10 pm- hot dog, pizza and chicken. Nothing is good-tried it all. Certainly wasn't going to pay for the food- I was at an all inclusive resort! Lunch and dinner are ok and only at the main buffet. This is not about being a picky eater, it is about bad quality and horrible service. Don't go to the Dominican Beach night! We thought it would be a nice time eating on the beach, however before you could even get to the beach, you had to walk thru multiple local vendors that were allowed to set their tables up and try to sell you everything. No is not an option to them, they will keep persisting you buy something!! They would even grab your arm if you tried to walk away after saying no thank you! One poor woman even got her drink spilled all over her dress by them grabbing her arm! With this being said- we didn't even make it by the first table! Who wants to be harrassed on vacation? With all of these problems- our last two days were at another resort because we could not stay at Punta Cana Princess any longer! We called from the other resort to check out and they said we had phone charges worth $12 (which could not be paid over the phone) So my response was "you should owe me money- I left 2 days early!" I told him I left because of the service and food and I was told that it was not their problem we didn't like it and that they didn't force us to go to Punta Cana Princess! I was told I was speaking to the Guest Service Manager. So needless to say, I would not even refer this resort to my worst enemy and wouldn't return for free! The best thing about the trip to this resort was the people we met (which had all the same problems just shared). Please email with any questions- I will be happy to help you not make the worst mistake ever.

• 1 of 5 bubbles