“Would go back again in a heart beat”

Punta Cana Princess All Suites Resort & Spa
Ranked #31 of 111 Hotels in Punta Cana
GreenLeadersBronze level
NB
“Would go back again in a heart beat”
Reviewed 27 March 2010

Had a wonderful relaxing time at The Punta Cana Princess Resort and Spa. Very clean, staff very friendly, everything in easy walking distance and shuttles to the sister resorts (Club Caribe - for night shows and Bavaro Princess - for their little zoo). Food was good, a wide variety, you can always find something. A la Carte at the Tex Mex was 2 hours long (too long for our personal liking) but everything tasted good. All drinks were yummy (first resort I have been to that I never had to pour out a drink and ask the bartender to do over with less alcohol), all were made with fruit juice, which in my opinion improves the quality. Had Baileys on ice after supper and President beer similar to our Bud Light. The Ocean was fantastic, no water shoes required. Not great for snorkeling but there is fish out there and will come out of no where if you have some bread to give them. Night life is kinda dull but that's ok because you can take the shuttle to the other resorts, the disco or the Casino. The only fault we had with this facility was the lack of shade. All the palapas, and sunbeds at both the beach and pool were "reserved" by 7am. People reserve at both the beach and pool simultaneously. There is a 30 minute rule and it should be enforced. I saw one couple do this and I applaud them. When we did finally find a palapa at the beach we were there for 5 hours, the one next to us remained empty but "reserved" for 5 hours! Then a man came and got his yellow scarf, flippers and bag and walked up to the pool. Very Rude! Rooms very cozy, coffee maker was great as we prefer our own coffee from home. I recommended this resort and plan on returning.

1 Thank junnipper

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (996)
  • Czech first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
Sao Paulo, SP
Reviewed 27 March 2010

Definitely quantity doesn´t mean quality. I would rate this as a 2-3 star hotel, not 4. Although the size of the room, the number of restaurants and the decoration, some important details were missing there and that´s why I would not come back to Punta Cana Princess.
We had the Platinum Suite package, and were logded in the building # 3, at the ground level, room # 3013. We spent 4 nights there, from March 20th to 24th, 2010.

OVERVIEW
The lobby is comfortable, large and clean. The swimming pool is large and clean and there are beds beside it. The gardens are nice and well maintained. At the beach, there are parasols and beds, as well as hammocks. You have to arrive early (and I really mean early), otherwise you won´t find bed and parasol empty. If so, you can stay on a hammock, under the shadow of a coconut tree (the beach has lots of coconut trees, which can be sparse at other resorts´s beaches, pay attention at this when choosing a resort in Punta Cana).

What surprised us is that the resort allows vendors at some days and they are very very very aggressive. We had just checked in and were going towards our room when one of them came and "offered" us a gift. Then he began to show everything he had and began with the blablabla. I said we were tired from the trip, that we wanted to rest, but he didn´t respected it. We had to let him talking to himself, because he wouldn´t leave us alone. When we went to dinner, we had to take another way just to avoid him. That was embarassing.

LOCATION
The hotel is located at Bávaro, one of the beaches in Punta Cana. All the beaches will be the same along the Punta Cana coast, with the same beautiful turquoise-blue sea, as PC is a 60-km beach. Outside the resort, at the main street, you can find lots of stores as well as small groceries. Probably things will be cheaper at those markets than at the store located inside the hotel (I can´t say it for sure, because we haven´t gone there). Punta Cana has only 2 gas stations, and one of them is in Bávaro.

(I open this parenthesis to warn you that everything will be more expensive at Punta Cana, so if your trip includes Samaná or Santo Domingo, buy souvenirs there, not in Punta Cana).

ROOM
Our room was large (as all the resort´s rooms), with large and nice LCD TV, cable channels, coffee machine, frigobar, safe box, iron and iron board, beach towels. It was a bit cold, even when the AC was turned off (the maid told us that at this time of the year the buildings are actually cold). We had a small fruit basket waiting for us, as well as a rum (ron) bottle. The bathroom was large and clean.

The problems began when we had a shower. First, the shower place has no light, so when you close the curtain to have your shower, the place gets dark and uncomfortable. The surprise comes after: as any bathroom, it gets wet after a shower. But here you have a shower at evening and the bathroom remains completely wet in the morning after... Everything gets really wet, including the toilet paper. And as a plus, the room gets wet too. Our first night was really uncomfortable, as our bed and sheets were wet, as well as the room´s floor. We took a picture of water dropping down of the upside of the bathroom´s door. We had to keep the bathroom´s door closed all the time and keep its lights on so that the ventilator inside could work all night long. But it didn´t do its job. The next morning, I talked to the maid and she said that all the rooms at the ground floor had the same problem. She said that the problem was the hot water, so she suggested us to take cold shower (!!!).

Problem #2: the mattress had a bad scent (a mix of sweat and mould), and it was difficult to get asleep with that smell. We complaint at the front desk and this was solved the next day.

Problem #3: I just can´t wonder why a big hotel like Punta Cana Princess would use sheets smaller than the mattress on the beds. You move a little and the mattress is shown. That´s really uncomfortable. We took pictures of that too. This complaint was not attended. They really don´t have sheets at a size enough to cover the whole mattress. Also related to this topic, it´s worth to mention that the bed´s feet are actually wheels, which facilitates cleaning, but can make the bed move at inappropriate moments.

SERVICE
The staff is very well trained. Almost everybody was nice and polite. Our requests were complied almost all the times. When we complaint about the bad scent of the mattress, they called us the next evening to ask if the problem had been solved.
Luis, the guy at the front desk, was very helpful and efficient, he should be promoted to supervisor or manager because he deals very well with problematic situations. Almost all of the hostess of the restaurants were very nice and friendly (except the Host of the French one). Credit to Nicaury and Nancy from the Steakhouse and Cassabe. Nicaury showed us a very special service. Once the Steakhouse was completely full and when she saw we had been waiting for more than 15 minutes, she left the restaurant, took a table from the restaurant aside, found a place to put it in the Steakhouse and only 5 minutes later we were sitting.

Check in and chek out were easy and quick.

There´s no nightlife at this resort (and we found this great), so it is pretty calm and quiet at night (of course there are always some guests who are unpolite and scream late at night as if they were at their dorms at college, but that´s not the hotel´s fault). For those who enjoy nightlife, there are the clubs at the resorts of the same chain. You can take a car or shuttle bus, which runs 24h a day to take the guests. There are some activities like karaokes and dancing at the lobby, in the evening, but they end early. There´s also the club at the beach, with activities during the day and evening.

There was no wifi in the rooms. If you wanted, the wifi zone was only at the lobby, at a cost of US$ 15 for 24 hours. There were 4 notebooks at the lobby with free access to the internet, but you only had 20 minutes to use them. During the day, when everybody was at the beach, the computers were empty; but in the evening, you had to wait a little. Other problem was that some unpolite guests sat on the chairs with their bathsuits wet and nobody of the staff would say a word, although there was a warning about this on the lobby´s entrance (there is also common sense, but some people just don´t have it).

One of the high points is that this is an adult-only resort, so it is even more quiet.

Negative points concerning the service:
1) the paper that is given by check-in doesn´t have all the information necessary.
2) besides being a large hotel, the Punta Cana Princess doesn´t have a concierge service, what can be a problem for independent travellers who don´t come with tour agencies (like us). We wanted to make some tours and had to look for them. There are some tour guides who stay for 1 or 2 hours a day at the lobby, but at bad times (for instance: from 12 p.m. to 1 p.m., when you´re having lunch). The Guest Service of the hotel doesn´t give any tips about tours (I asked what we could do and they answered "you have to talk to a tour guide"). If I knew that, I would have all arranged before leaving home.
3) there was an important fax message to us which was sent to the front desk at 3 p.m., but we received it only at 10 p.m. The problem is that the message was to advise us about a meeting at 6 p.m. Obviously we didn´t attend to it, and I really got angry with that. situation.
4) some mattresses of the beach beds and cushions of Mare Nostrum restaurant were ripped. It seems they don´t take care of them.
5) many napkins were stained, a little dirty and ripped, and many cups and cutlery were dirty as well.
6) reserving the restaurants at the other resorts was not that easy. We tried twice to make reservations for the Brazilian Rodizzio, unsuccessfully. I think they could warn the guests that some restaurants may be hard to get reservation. This warning could have been written at the information paper they give us at check-in.
7) no wifi or wired internet in the rooms.

FOOD
There are 5 restaurants at the hotel. We can also go to some restaurants of the other Princess´s resorts, under previous reservation. The buffet (Cassabe) was average, with many options, but still average. The a la carte restaurants (Rio Grande steakhouse and the Italian Il Bacio) were pretty good. The French/Swiss La Fondue was nothing special, and the host was not a pleasant guy. We haven´t tried Mare Nostrum, as my husband doesn´t like seafood. The problem was that for lunch only the buffets worked, so we haven´t had a nice meal at lunchtime. Moreover only the wine of the house was included (and it was horrible); if you wanted a better wine, you´d have to pay for it.
On the other hand, the appetizers and snacks were very good. The drinks were nice as well, specially the fruit punch. If you prefer a stronger drink, ask the barman to put more alcohol, because the cocktails are light. Good whiskies, vodkas and liquors were included.

TOURS
As there was no concierge service at the hotel and we wanted to go to Saona Island, we had to buy a tour from the only guide whom we could talk at the lobby. We got a tour from a German lady called Gerlinde. She was nice, but actually we didn´t like the tour (she was just the vendor). The bus picked us up at 07h00 am. First we spent 1h30 picking up people at the other resorts. After a 1h30-hour bus ride to Bayahibe, we took a catamaran boat where there were Dominican girls dancing caribbean music and an annoying guy filming everybody and everything, to sell the DVD after the excursion. We arrived the Saona Island at 12h30, not a good time for sunbathe... The food was bad also. It´s included in the package but definitely not worth... We left the island at 3 p.m. and went to the natural pool, where we stayed for 30 minutes. Well, if you like the party on boat, ok, but we were mostly interested in visiting the island... We got there at a terrible time and could not enjoy it properly. We lost 5 hours, from which 3 could have been avoided (picking up people and catamaran, since if we go with speed boat, it tooks 30 minutes to get to Saona from Bayahibe). Cost of the tour: US$ 89 per person.

We discovered that we could have gone independently with a taxi to Bayahibe or Altos de Chavon and then pay for a boat to take us to Saona Island. If we knew that, we would have gone early to La Romana (where Altos Chavon is located), taken the speed boat to Saona, come back to Chavon, and spend the afternoon at the mediterrean village located there. So that´s my tip.

FINAL CONSIDERATIONS
So many details demonstrated that this hotel lacks concern with important things, and gave the impression that it is a tatty place with a make-up of a 4-star hotel, for example: the small bed sheets, dirty napkins, cups and cutlery, rippen mattresses. Although the staff is very well trained, with almost everybody being friendly and efficient, and the cleanliness of the room and public areas, our stay definitely was not what we were looking for. If you think comfort is more important than the size of your room, choose another place to stay.

orleans
Reviewed 26 March 2010

WE stayed at this hotel for a week. The rooms were beautiful, the satf always smiling and helpful. The beach was clean, white sand and clear water. The food was great and with four restaurant a la carte plus four more at the sister hotel (Caribe Princess) we had a lot of choices to make. The buffet restaurant had a different theme every night also. Nice decor and excellent food. And yes the water pressure in our room wa great. A special thanks for the adj.gerencia ( Rafael Telichowski) who made us feel at home there. I will definatly go back again.

3 Thank jpdupuis
Toronto
Reviewed 25 March 2010

Okay, so here is the deal...

I was very worried at first, but I am soo greatful that I stayed at this resort!

First Impressions
Steicy at the lobby... he is your man... Listen, be nice to people and they take care of you.
I emailed the hotel before I got there to get a room in building 4 on the second floor... had a super great room, great staff, my room was cleaned daily! Had no issues at all.
All 7 days, I was blessed with a great view of the ocean / pool and had top quality service from our cleaning lady "Maria". Tip well people, 2 - 3 dollars goes a long way when you travel...

Nightly activities, I am 28 so at night I wanted to party, and the shuttle to the disco / casino was fine. I got to come home to a quite relaxing resort, after being a disaster at another. Most nights I hung out at the beach looking at the stars sipping on my drink and smoking a nice cigar.

Forget the Steak House... Buffet is great, but also the Nostrum, "The Sea Food" resturant also serves a MEAN steak, and all you can eat lobster... Talk to David... Tell him Karim from Toronto told you about him. I spent a couple nights serving them drinks and food after hours, and hung out with them. Great people, he always took care of me, no questions asked. Got to meet the cooks and all the staff that night, and I felt like a super star at the resort for the rest of my trip, I would get table service at the buffets, again, a 2 - 3 dollar tip goes a long way.

Beach
Carlos, and Enzo... (Ernesto) Book all your water sports through Carlos, and your park or Ocean world trip through Ernesto, they are solid, trust worthy people. They even came with me to the market to buy cigars... They only make 200 bucks a month so take care of them! Even a bottle of water means a lot to these guys... As for the Beach; as everyone says must have been the most beautiful beach I have ever been to!

Overall...

I can go on for hours...

Going back in October... Enough Said.

2 Thank iC3Karim
port hope
Reviewed 25 March 2010

My husband and I stayed for a week at the Princess. Beautiful resort. Food was excellent. Best part of all for El A Cartes, no booking. Staff was just fantastic. My husband and I have travelled alot, we never had a room this size before, provided with robes and slippers. We would definitely go again.

• Stayed February 2010, travelled as a couple
2 Thank wackywendy
Lanaken, Belgium
Reviewed 25 March 2010

I've spent a week in this hotel in March 2010, all by myself, going for some kitesurfing holidays.

I've booked the hotel via a travel agency, so I got a double room in the building with the room numbers 2001-2216, which is right next to the reception. At first I was a bit worried about the distance to the sea, but it proved to be actually a nice and short walk only, while being a quiet location.

The room was very nice, clean, big and bright. The bathroom had no problems either. The fridge in the room was a tiny bit loud in the beginning, but after I've turned it off for half a day, so the ice have melted down from it, it worked fine. In the fridge there wasn't too much of a selection - two Sprites, two Cokes, two liters of water and two cans of beers. That was about it, couldn't even get more.
The A/C was a bit loud for me, so for the night I switched it off most of the time.
There is no elevator to the upper levels, so if you don't feel like taking the stairs every day to the second floor, it's not your place.

The Buffet restaurant was allright. I've eaten there almost all the time, and I can say I could always find something that I liked. The selection wasn't as wide as in the other hotel I've stayed in Punta Cana (Majestic), but it was good enough.
The pasta was good, desserts were all right and there was plenty of fruits.
I've especially liked the fact that (maybe due to it's "only above 18" policy) there were nice pancakes and waffels every morning at breakfast, and there were plenty of them, I've never seen a que there.

The other restaurant "Mare Nostrum" at the beach was more like a snackbar, but it was perfect for that! Close to the beach, you could just go and get a burger or something light, even in the middle of the night - it was my other favorite place.

The pool bar was also nice, the best cocktails were made there. Seriously, there was a major difference between the qualities of cocktails made in different places of the resort. The same cocktail (Coco loco) tasted much worse at the beach bar, but for some reason I could find no differences with banana mama and stuff like that.

The service... Well, this is the part where I say don't expect too much.
The reception service was just bad in my opinion. During all my stay, they were the least friendly and least helpful people. I've got there around 9 pm, and I've had to go through quite some explanation by the time the lady at the reception looked up my reservation and keys - even though as it turned out, that everything was already prepared in an envelope on her table! She was so unmotivated that I was really wondering what's going on. I thought it was maybe just one day, but she was like that all the time, so nothing has changed.
My plane was only leaving at 2100 hours, so I've asked for a late checkout if possible. The day before they told me it was, for some 70 USD I can stay in the room until 6 pm, but I have to come back on the day to confirm it. Ok, so I did. I was told by this aforementioned lady, that her boss is not there and there is no possibility for a late checkout. Ok, so i checked out at 12:00 hours. There was a room to leave the luggage, so I could go to the beach at least, but I had to take a shower on the beach and change clothes in the toilet, because they didn't offer any other possibility.
While I was waiting for pickup, I saw people coming out of their room around 17:30 with the stuffs, just doing their checkouts.
During all my stay I came to a conclusion, that you can only expect good service if you tip everyone very well. I think it's outrageous, having paid 1500 euros for a week vacation, to still kind of make me pay for a quality service.
Don't get me wrong, it's not about the money, it's the idea. if I get quality service I will tip the people, but if they do it the other way around it's not too nice.
The most friendly people were the waiters and waitresses in the restaurants - if you speak a tiny bit of Spanish, they'll be very friendly with you and will be friendly enough otherwise too.

No nightlife in the hotel, no disco - if you want to dance, you must go outside.

The beach is nice, clean and wide - no complaints there.

The water sports club guys have NO CLUE how to handle a sailboat so DON'T go with them for "sailing lessons"! i've seen it a few times that they've flipped the boat (capsized) with tourists on board in perfect conditions (8-10 kts wind, flat sea). The maintenance and the condition of the Hobie Wave cat they have there is very bad too, but still usable with some limitations.

All in all, it was a nice place to stay at.

• Stayed March 2010, travelled solo
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 23 March 2010

One of my most relaxing vacations to date. Visited for the Toronto Spring Break March 2010.

A bit about me. I have travelled to at least 25 - 30 all inclusive properties in the Caribbean and Mexico. Never less than a 4* but usually in 5* resorts plus extensive Cruise experiences. Most of the time I am with one partner or a small group but a few times, like this, I travelled alone. Due to this I set out to find an adults only property. Since it was our Spring Break period the 5* properties were very expensive and the single supplement was way out of control.

The Punta Cana Princess was reasonably priced and I had stayed at the sister hotel Caribe Caribbean 4 years ago in the same week so knew the chain.

The Punta Cana Princess is not an excellent or even highly recommended resort but it is pretty good. For the seasoned traveller there is much to comment on but I won't do that here. Resort most definitely not a 5* which they rate it. It is more a solid 4 not a 4 +.

There is no nightlife or entertainment to speak of (not that I was looking for that). I read about the lobby entertainment at night. This comprises the 4 animators dancing and having a nightly contest - in 7 days this was only on for 3 nights - day 1 Mr. Punta Cana, day 2 Mrs. Punta Cana, and on day 3 Mr. & Mrs. Couple Punta Cana - get the idea of how lame it was but the only other alternative was to go to the sister resort for their nightly entertainment. This was okay but there was almost nonexistent shuttle service. Okay walk during day but at night a little iffy. Casino shuttle was constant.

The cleanliness of the resort was very clear. I have never seen such commitment. If you were in certain areas at certain times you would see whole teams of cleaners attack the area with such verge. On my departure day I happened to be in the lobby at around 8:00. There were about 18 cleaners going to town cleaning like I've never seen done at any resort. Rooms and restaurants equally well cleaned. In the rooms there is some obvious wear and tear due to number of years resort in operation. I had a huge ant infestation that they dealt with right away. They put wild flowers all over the counter and I could see the ants coming out of them. Tried to communicate this to maid but to no avail so I just put them on the balcony each day.

The buffet was not the greatest. A number of people I met felt the same way. The main selections were the same for every lunch and dinner for the whole week with only a few inclusions. The 2 a la cartes I went to were fine - TexMex and Italian. You could eat at the other resorts a la cartes and buffets which I also did and would recommend as there are 5 more to choose from.

I was very fortunate with weather - if there had been rain or clouds - there is absolutely nothing to do. No games rooms, activities, animation staff was very friendly and only about 4 of them but the most repetitive that I've seen in all my resort trips.

The Spa is fantastic and the prices are well below the norm for a spa of this type. There were many deals offered of which a number of us partook in and enjoyed. The full body massage was amazing.

The workers were fabulous - very friendly lobby, guest relations, and restaurant workers, cleaners etc. I've encountered in a long time.

Free internet service in main lobby was highly appreciated.

So I would recommend the resort to most people but with only a few comments about the reality that it is a small resort, there is a lack of entertainment and things to do and that it really is a 4 * for food at best so be prepared for that. However the adults only was a huge plus that offset a lot of the negative things. I won't go into the crowd as since it was March Break it would be much different than a crowd at other times of the year.

Pool area was very quiet and peaceful and using the spa really made it one of the most relaxing laid back trips I've had.

• Stayed March 2010, travelled solo