“We like this hotel and we recommend this hotel for the good price.”
Review of whala!bavaro

whala!bavaro
Ranked #84 of 112 Hotels in Punta Cana
Reviewed 25 April 2014

Before we go we read everything here but the price was very attractive to ignore and the location sounded too good so we make our reservation and we said we will spend most time outside the hotel so if the room is clean we are happy. when we come to the hotel, we get a big surprise because the hotel is nice and the location is very very good and the room was very clean and smell fresh. so I am not now sure why some people say bad things. may be they want 6 stars hotels but want to pay 3 stars.
We spend 7 nights in the hotel and i think 7 or 8 nights is good in this area but domincan republic has much more things to see and staying in santo domingo also has it special places to see. So we say stay in this area for one week and spend 4 nights in santo domingo but be careful you dont go to the bad areas of the city!

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Pedro R
There are newer reviews for whala!bavaro

Reviewed 24 April 2014

My girlfriend and I stayed at this "resort" at the beginning of March 2014. We travel a lot and this so called "resort" was the worst I have ever seen! It claimed free internet and safes but they charge, and the safe comes with a skeleton key, and we were worried that any staff member could open it and we were right! Over 1000 usd were taken a 1000.00 watch and a camera! The rooms stunk to high heaven and every thing in them were falling apart literally! The beds were just box springs! Rooms were filthy, air never worked, and the reason I say rooms is because we got moved 3 times!!!! The staff was the most rude and ignorant I have ever met, and when we told them about issues they didn't care and called us liars! We even caught a Cpl employees in our room going though stuff! Any time any one needed something from the front desk the staff was rude and complained and would just walk away! The food was so discusting cockroaches every where around hotel and IN the buffet! We along with 90% or more of the ppl we met there all got food poisoning to varies degrees! and 98% of the ppl we met there all were sickened by this resort and couldn't wait to leave it! The pictures online look nothing like this place! The staff doesn't understand or speak English hardly! Food and drinks were horrible! The beach was filthy littered with garbage, homeless ppl stray dogs every where on there beach area, bottles, broken glass every where in the sand! Even used condoms all over there beach and at there dump of a beach bar, and that's cause there one and only bartender at night would go across the to the other side of the bar where it was dark and have sex with the drunk Russian girls every night! The only night staff was 1 bartender and one so called security on the street! Friends we made there were mugged righted out side the entrance which was wide open! To go along with the terrible resort the air transat rep that looked after that property didn't give a care about it and told me in 7 yrs he had only gone there 2 times and said it was terrible place to stay and he always moves ppl to other resorts! He also said most of the positive reviews are put online by the owners/staff of Whala! The only ppl that seemed to not have problems with this place were the drunk Russian girls! The staff also would sit around at night and creep on any females that they could get alone! The staff also tried to sell us drugs over and over! Also not a beach front hotel as they claim!, they own a tiny piece of beach 1-2 blocks away from the rooms. Rooms have no alarm clocks or phone for wake up calls, out of 7 days we got 2 wake up calls to our door and missed 2 excursions! Avoid avoid avoid at all costs! I would say you get what you pay for but you dont get anything at all out of this hotel and there staff Guests made jokes the whole time we were there like" this hotel has a star let alone 3"! I met locals there who own businesses there and they told us there are 5 properties to avoid and Whala was definitely one of them! Also told from them aswell as travel agent reps that they had to rename the property a Cpl yrs ago to get away from the terrible reputation!

Room Tip: Avoid this dump of a hotel!
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
16  Thank chris d
Reviewed 23 April 2014

We have just returned from a wonderful two week vacation at whala!bavaro. I booked this accommodation on the previous reviews and found it charming. The place is kept super clean and has a great pool area. Punta Cana is fantastic it has a constant warm breeze and things to do if you enjoy getting busy, Island boat trips, or just simply relax and chill out on the beach. Considering the amazing beach location, very friendly staff and reasonable rooms this is not a luxury hotel. We felt in line with the simple ethics of the place and it was a cool change to our busy non stop lives. Happy with our choice. Would go back for sure.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 20 April 2014

Where to start! I researched this hotel over and over, read almost every review, the good and the bad. I decided that I would believe the good reviews. Serious mistake!
The minute we entered the "lobby" I knew I'd made a bad choice. We were outside in the heat completely ignored, no greeting, no wait, and I'll be right with you! No cool drink or cool towel as we have always received at most beach resorts.
This hotel calls itself "All Inclusive" False! We we told about having to pay $15 for beach towels that you can only return for a clean one, Monday, Wednesday and Friday! No free internet ANYWHERE at the hotel! You had to pay $15 a week for a safe or sign a wavier that they are not responsible for stolen items from your room! We felt strong armed into paying this fee or else! I've never in my life dealt with this! We've traveled all over the world and paying for a safe is a first! It's not okay!
After all of that and now wearing a green bracelet that would identify or embarrass us, we were ready to see our room. What a nightmare! The room was clean for the most part but it was a sad looking room. It had a faint sewer/pesticide smell. The sink looked like it hadn't been used in several years, and it's water faucet didn't work, it was filthy! No pots or pans or even coffee cups(I'll get to that later)no trash cans but one in the bathroom. No phone, A/C only in the bedroom and loud ceiling fans. We asked for a different room other than the Suite we paid for and were shown to a room that was even worse than this which was room 213.
The service at The Whala. No one was ever friendly except the Housekeeping Super named Theresa. We were in the outside dining area and asked what we wanted to drink and our drinks were never brought to us, crazy! The food was dreary. I had to be very careful what I ate to avoid getting sick. I stuck to fruits and vegetables. My husband had some grilled fish and avocado salad and he became pretty sick, luckily I bought Pepto! The food in the buffet looks like it's rolled out day after day. The omelet was the saving grace at breakfast! Even trying to get fresh drinking water with a meal was a chore!
The Beach: Upon our arrival and dealing with the room, we were now ready to head to the beach. We got two "loungers" these chairs are old and beat up. My husband went to the little bar the Whala provides, he asked for two drinks, a beer and a pina colada, both given in flimsy plastic 4oz cup. As he was getting the drinks, I was already being pestered by the time share guys who call themselves, Royal Holiday, in green shirts. They share the same beach area with Whala. It took one hour, one day of the time share people for us to know we were done with that beach. The next day we started out for the beach and we went down the steps and made a quick left, past one hotel, where the speed boat people are, we found a nice bar that rents two nice chairs and a table for $5 a day and serve you in real glass! We survived the Whala by hanging out over there everyday of our stay! They made an excellent Pina Colada!

All I want to stress about this hotel is, it is not all it seems by the great reviews! The great reviews are very misleading or these people have very Low expectations! I would never stay at a hotel like this in the states! This would be a hotel that would be in a bad area and I would stay away! Every time we walked away from our room, I was afraid our belongings would be gone! Thank Goodness that never happened! We left the TV on all the time and put the do not disturb sign on the door knob, although it was missing a few times! We used the shuttle that they offer to go to the mall(that's the only place it takes you)and as the shuttle pulled up to the hotel, I was quite embarrassed that everyone saw this was the hotel we were staying at! We never let the taxis drop us off in front always a block down!
I had read the reviews about no coffee pot so we took our own hot water tea kettle, we had to beg for two coffee cups and than hide them everyday or the maid would take them away!

In closing, this hotel could have ruined our vacation, we chose to not let that happen.
If you can afford a better hotel, do it ! Do not hesitate! I chose the Whala because I wanted to stay away from the crowds, bad mistake! We paid for the best room the Whala had to offer and we did not get that in return. We were very disappointed! Never again!

Room Tip: Go somewhere else!
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank jetsettingtexan
Reviewed 13 April 2014

Came away with some of my other family members and took up three rooms. We asked for them to be close together if possible and they managed to have us all within shouting distance. We went straight to the beach to get some sun and couldn't believe only a few hours ago we had been sitting in our house with a grey sky outside. The staff are so kind and brought me some extra pillows for my knee (had a new one six months ago but still gives me jip). We didn't go hungry the food here was pretty good and my lot made the most of it. Bowled over by the friendly attitude, this year we cracked it. Thanks to all the staff at Whala!bavaro for such a fantastic time.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Pat L
Reviewed 9 April 2014

Small hotel but has what you need for a beach based holiday. The rooms are a bit dated but very clean and maids came in all the time to put new towels and change bed. Swimming pool is clean and wasn't used much while I was there as everyone went directly to the beach. The beach bar is handy for cold beers and there were plenty of sun beds to lie on. Staff were friendly and helpful when questioned about area and places to eat. Good value and have told friends and family about this place.

Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Alberto R
Reviewed 8 April 2014

Friends recommended Whala bavaro for a more homely experience in a smaller hotel. They have stayed many times and enjoy the relaxed atmosphere with no big pressure to dress for dinner. We often cruise so for a big change we joined our friends for a week of beach heaven. First of all I have to mention the location, showstopper!!!! getting off the plane to a palm tree lined airport put us in the Island mood right there. The meet and greet at the hotel was fun and we all met up in the bar without even settling in our room. The days rolled by in a haze of complete relaxation and my husband slept the night straight out, a rare occurrence for him. Thank you so to the delightful staff that keep this place exactly the way it is. Heartily recommended to those who want to slow down every now and again, this is the perfect place.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends