“The Reserve: The good, the bad, and the ugly...”

The Reserve at Paradisus Punta Cana
The Reserve at Paradisus Punta Cana
Ranked #6 of 112 Hotels in Punta Cana
GreenLeadersSilver level
Darien, Connecticut
“The Reserve: The good, the bad, and the ugly...”
Reviewed 5 December 2012

If you are not traveling with children, it is not high season, and you don't mind eating at McDonalds, BK, or Denny's quality food at every meal for the duration of your trip, then go you will be fine. However, if you have kids please read on.

First off the GOOD in context. We are a family of 4 with 2 kids (2.5 years old and 10 months). The staff there bend over backwards to try and make your experience fantastic. Santo and Emilio, the pool side waiters, were wonderful. They came around with drinks and took the time to play with the kids. The gals in the Kid-zone were fantastic. Berlis, Ruth, Yahaira, and Nathali gave us the freedom to have a few quiet moments. Thank you so much. We were pleasantly surprised to find out that they will watch kids under 3 despite the website saying otherwise, and it was all free. It was great to put the little one down for naps and enjoyed the pool right outside. Awesome.

We found the waiters and other staff were very helpful, and we were lucky we were not there during high season, so they hotel was only 1/3 full and they had the time to take care of us. After what we saw, we would never even consider going there when they are busy, because I can see how you would need to wait 1 hour for everything. I don't care if they double or triple the staff, the facility would not be able to handle the volume. Lines would be out the door, no place to sit by the pool or beach, and I don’t know how one would get anywhere near the bars. The rooms are decent and clean enough for us, but they are not as nice as pics on website. I am guessing they took those 5-8 years ago.

The BAD they are very disorganized and the rooms are noisy. It was difficult to get the kiddies to sleep at night. Too much road traffic right outside our balcony. If you were to get a pool side room, then you get the music all night, so there is no easy way out of the noise.
The UGLY and the deal killer for us was the food. It is just downright awful. There is too much salt and butter on everything. I know it was the tropics and everything is shipped in and it is difficult to bring in fresh food, but this goes beyond that. We have been French Polynesia in the middle of the Pacific Ocean, and they can make quite good food there. All in all, we would not return there solely because of the food.

• Stayed November 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank William W
Paradisus P, General Manager at The Reserve at Paradisus Punta Cana, responded to this review, 13 December 2012
Dear Mr. William,

Thank you for your comments both for the good and for the less good, although I am very glad you enjoyed the benefits offered in the Kids Zone for all guests, I am very sorry to read that your stay with us was not as pleasant as you and we expected.

I am glad to inform you that we are working in order to reduce the noise in all areas and many organizational measure are been taking place in order to achieve that.
Since we are a company committed to the environment and understand that these noises cause contamination, trust me when I say that your comments are being taken with the seriousness required.

We are also renewing our services, especially gastronomic, with the opening of new restaurant concepts, like the Palazzo restaurant that we just opened recently, the new opening of the Gabi beach just few weeks ago and some other changes.

I hope you can give us the opportunity to serve you again and to show you that we maintain our promises and that your comments are important for us.

Please accept again my apologies,

Eduardo Perera Castro

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (835)
  • Hebrew first
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
New Jersey
Reviewed 30 November 2012

Hi, AMAZING vacation! I gave this trip to my boyfriend as a birthday gift, it was myself, my boyfriend and my in-laws. All 4 of us had the best vacation ever. The staff was absolutely wonderful, I'm not sure where they get all this energy from but they give 150% it almost feels like they don't sleep as long as they can cater to you. The place was a beauty, our room was amazing, the facility is like a dream come true, the workers are GREAT and I as well as my boyfriend and in-laws have nothing but positive feed back.

I want to give a special thanks to extra ordinary workers that we had the pleasure in socializing with them.

Julio Nice from the entertainment group (wow- where does he get so much enevergy from). What a humble and great young man, always with a smile and the energy of an energizer bunny. Julio will go far with his talent and passion to persuing his aspirations.

Edrey, Pepe from the entertainment great energy and service

Luis Amante from the grill by the reserve pool side - may god bless him with his positive and humble attitude, hard worker that aims to please his costumers and always with a smile.

Sanny and Claritza from guest services - great professional service from them and very helpful

Marsial Berroa from Qi restaurant - great attention and professionalism

Jorgeluis Vilorio Ramirez from North Bar - always with a smile and amazing service.

Special thanks to Silvio from The Reserve main office and his crew - Silvio is always on point "with a smile" and making sure his guest are taken care of. Silvio helped me through my full preparations with my boyfriends bday celebration and I can't thank him enough for his services.

Our stay was for 6 days and we could clearly have stayed for a month.

Will return without a doubt.

Special THANKS to the full hard working professional staff at The Reserve Paradisus.

• Stayed November 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank schula
Dear guest,

Thank you very much for all your nice comments and for sharing them with us on Tripadvisor.com

It really give us lot of satisfaction to read that we were able to fulfill your holidays with nice moments to remember.

What I like the most from your comments is to read so many names from our team. They are the most important part of our resort and the ones that make everything possible.

I already shared your kinds words with them and I am sure they will love to see you back soon at Paradisus Punta Cana!

Warm regards,

Hamilton, Canada
Reviewed 14 November 2012

Wonderful vacation!
My husband and I enjoyed unfortunately only a single week.
The room was beautiful, the check in was a breeze. The resort is HUGE,immaculate and lush with workers working everywhere to keep it that way and more workers working remodedling and building. They were all very plesant and very careful to keep everything safe and clear.
The beach WOW!
The staff OMG, they were great but some were incredible:
Adalberto Herrera was our waiter at Gabi for breakfast, he was pleasant and efficient and helped me with my hysterical broken Spanish(his english is great) he recommended restaurants and activities for us and then was our waiter at Vento one evening! Vento was amazing.
On the Beach, Maiker Ramirez was the best, he just appeared with your drink, right when you needed it and was a great help with recommendations and just a blast. Luis Santana was also very pleasant as were all the staff at the beach bar where we spent the majority of our vacation. But one morning Luis came to me asking if I had lost my phone- a brand new Samsung, I looked as I didn't realize I had, and sure enough I had. Thank you thank you thank you Luis. Jose deJesus is the most amazing chef at the beach grill, the food was so fresh and amazing and yes OMG on the beach! And Felipe Mateo, at the end of the day in Gabi, aaaaaaaah.
We found all the staff really good and their english was really good in the bars , in the lobbies and at the restaurants. The houekeeping staff's english was not as good but they really tried and were all pleasant. The only service we were a little off about was at Vita, the italian restaurant. Although the food was good the staff were 'sterile' not friendly,just sort of efficient.
The Resort is HUGE, so they have a 'train' that runs regularly to take you anywhere quickly on the the whole resort. My husband and I love to walk but there were a couple of places to get to that were just too far so we hopped on the 'train' part way when we were lost! LOL
We didn't even make it to all the restaurants, but what we did were all good

• Stayed November 2012, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Louise H
Dear Louise,

THANK YOU SO MUCH for your nice and wonderful feedback!

Please be sure that your message has been shared with our team and that they will be more than happy to see that we have managed to make your holidays with us an unforgettable experience.

I hope that we all will have the pleasure in hosting you again at Paradisus Punta Cana to offer you another wonderful stay. !

Warm regards from Paradisus Punta Cana,

Hawkesbury, Canada
Reviewed 5 November 2012

We spent 2 weeks here (Oct 13-27) and thoroughly enjoyed our stay. The staff are absolutely wonderful especially Mikey Mike on the beach - he does make you feel you are his family. Special mention has to go out to Jeremias and José as well who took care of us when Mikey was off. And then there were our favourite bartenders, Lorenzo from Gabi's and Roberto at the Paradisus Lobby Bar. They not only serve wonderful drinks but provide entertainment as well. I don't know where the entertainment staff find all of their energy but they give 100% and still take the time to socialize and dance with guests in the bar after their shows.

A special thank you to Silvio of The Reserve - this man does not sleep. No matter what time of day or night, Silvio was on the job, always with a huge smile and he would take the time to say hello and ensure we were enjoying our stay. The Reserve rooms (we had a 1 bedroom Jacuzzi suite for week 1 and a Mastersuite for week 2) are absolutely lovely. The Reserve is a little hike from the beach but they have their bus system which is great. A walk through the grounds which are beautiful and well tended to is very enjoyable - there are so many different flowers and trees to look at. The food in the various restaurants is good. It could be stepped up a bit as well as the service is a couple of the restaurants but in general we enjoyed all of our meals (with the exception of Vento). We had a wonderful 2 weeks and would have gladly stayed on for a couple of more! This is a resort we would return to.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank KEWhite
Dear guest,

Thank you so much for all your nice comments and for sharing them with us on Tripadvisor.

Your review is our better recommendation letter!
I will share your nice comment with our team whom I am sure will appreciate your kind words.

We are looking forward to welcome you back soon!

Kind Regards,

Reviewed 6 October 2012 via mobile

This place was nice the food was good and so were the drinks !! The reserve is the way to go!!!! The service is great but there is definitely a language barrier. We travel to Mexico a lot and we don't speak Spanish we assumed that DR would be similar like Mexico with everyone speaking good English. That was not the case ! This would be my only bad thing to say. Beach was nice pools were nice overall it's a nice place to stay ! Would go back but to the one in Mexico ! Nothing against DR but I just like Mexico better !

• Stayed December 2011
1 Thank Princess819
New York City, New York
Reviewed 15 September 2012

My family and I really enjoyed this resort. We had a great time and we especially enjoyed the pool thanks to Emilio who always served us our drinks and food with a smile and great enthusiasm. He made us laugh and feel so important!! He deserves a raise!!! We also liked the fact that we had so many restaurants to chose from and they were all pretty good. Our room was spectacular and very clean. The only thing we didn't like was the refrigerator in our room. Our drinks were warm, never cold and I complained so they did gladly bring a new one, but that also was just as bad - I'm not sure why. I have to say the air conditioner was working really great so that was a big plus for my family! We were never hot, actually I felt a little cold during the night but I prefer cold over feeling uncomfortable and hot. This was one of the best vacations we ever had! Can't wait to go back!

Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank Angie P
Montreal, Qc, Canada
Reviewed 12 August 2012

We have been in 7 resorts in the last 5 years. It was our first time with our 2 years old.This experience at the reserve was one of the best. Having the Family Concierge is a must to have a worry free vacations. The give us a cell phone to call our concierge for whatever we need. Our concierge called us every day to ask us at witch restaurant we wanted to eat tonight and at what time to sent the clesning staff. He also reserved a Bali Bed at the beach every day which was waiting for us. It was important since the beach was very crowed. Here are some other comments:

Beach: very crowded but beautiful. It is a 15 minutes walk from the Reserve but close to the regular section.
Food: Limited choice at the buffet particularly at Gabi (reserve section) but the salad and desert bars are great. Food at the theme restaurants was good. We were allowed to go to Fuego one time since we were Family Concierge and it was simply amazing! Professional services and food at par with some great restaurants in Montreal.
Room: we had a one bedroom master suite which was huge and nice
Staff: Bar and cleaning staff was great but waiters were not very friendly
Kids zone: we spent at least 1.5 hours per day there with our son drawing or playing with the toys. The place was similar to the daycare my son goes. We didn't use babysitting but the staff was friendly.
Pool: we spent most of our time at the kids pool and the pool was perfect for kids between 1 and 7.

I strongly recommend The Reserve and Familiy Concierge for families. Overall a great vacation.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with family