“Beautiful resort, very relaxing week -- would definitely return....but.....”

The Reserve at Paradisus Punta Cana
Ranked #6 of 112 Hotels in Punta Cana
GreenLeadersSilver level
Atlanta
“Beautiful resort, very relaxing week -- would definitely return....but.....”
Reviewed 12 April 2013

I have such a love/hate relationship with trip advisor; I drive myself crazy every year planning our spring break trip! The reviews are all over the place -- I can usually weed through and figure out what I need to know. That said, our original reservation was at a resort about an hour from the airport, but the reviews were almost all bad, so Amex Travel was able to change us at the last minute. I'm going to try to be specific because I couldn't find the answers I was looking for when I looked up this resort. Our visit was March 31-April 6, 2013.

The Reserve is a separate section of a much larger resort, the Paradisus. There is a very large pool and a baby pool, but the beach is NOT CLOSE. It's not far, but we've gotten used to walking from our room and being on the beach in a few steps. We walked every day instead of waiting for the tram and it was about 10 minutes from room to beach. If you're traveling with any older family members, I'd stay at the Paradisus.

We checked in on Sunday about 3:00 and there were no problems. Very nice concierge area. Our reservation was for a 2Br suite and it was still being cleaned, so we changed and grabbed a late lunch. The room was really two adjoining rooms, one king and two queens. Both had living area with sofa and tv, but the queen room was huge! Large dining room and living area as well as large bathroom. Unfortunately, my teenage boys had this room and my husband and I were in an equally beautiful king room with a weird layout. The bedroom and bathroom were both very cramped. My husband and I are average size and we really had a hard time moving around. Beware of the marble floors and stairways throughout -- especially after rain.

We eat out a lot at home, so we're not looking for gourmet meals when we travel. All-inclusives are notorious for buffets and there was a lot of repetition. I'm very picky and most days I had fruit and bread! There's lot of fish and salads. If you're adventurous, the food is fine. Thank goodness there was a grill that served burgers and pizza every day, but even the pizza was just fair. The majority of the specialty restaurants (dinner only, I believe) are at the Paradisus, so you will travel back and forth a lot, but realize you need reservations at many of them and you should make the reservations at check-in or as soon as possible. We were only able to get into three of the restaurants and had buffets for the rest of our dinners. We were very happy at the Italian restaurant and Aqua, which is at the Reserve. Skip Melo (mexican)!

The Reserve guests have a special area at the beach and there is a guard watching the area. It is next to the area for Royal Service, which is adults only, so you should be prepared for topless bathing. We didn't get the Family Concierge package, but my husband is an early riser and goes down to the beach early to get our chairs. Unfortunately, many people will put their things out at the pool and beach and you never see them use them. We stayed at the beach most of the trip and had no trouble finding a spot if we got there by 9. The first two rows are reserved for the Family Concierge guests, but if no one shows up by 10:30ish, the beach staff will let you move into their spot. The set up is beautiful with the straw hut umbrella and double lounge beds.

By mid-week, after walking back and forth to the beach, I announced I wouldn't have chosen the Reserve if I had known it wasn't beachfront. That changed when we decided to have lunch at one of the Paradisus buffets. It was packed. At all the buffets there is a chef making some things to order, but there were so many people rushing to get to the food we left. This alone was enough to change my mind about the Reserve. You pay a little more, but it is a quieter, less crowded experience.

My kids usually disappear on vacation and we have to make them check in, but they were bored here. There doesn't seem to be an "activities organizer" or maybe we just didn't see one at the Reserve. Even on the days we spent at the beach and ventured away from the Reserve's private area, we didn't see any activities so the kids were never able to meet anyone. Other resorts we've visited have had someone at the pool area getting kids involved and planning teen activities (boat cruises, games, etc.), but we didn't see anything like this.

A sales pitch was mentioned to us early in the week! It was going to be 90 minutes. My husband even told them we weren't buying anything, no matter what, and they said their pay was based on the pitch, but we were able to avoid it!

Few more things. Drinking age is 18. Loud, obnoxious teens (with parents!) with free alcohol spoiled one evening at casino. In the evening, the Reserve is dead. Paradisus has shows, entertainment, etc. Casino (small-15 slots, 6 blackjack tables, roulette) stays open until 3 am. One bar is 24 hours. We did one excursion, the dune buggys/ATVs. Lots of fun. VERY MUDDY. Husband golfed twice. He's played all over, including Ireland. Played at La Cana. He is still raving about it. Service was fine. Bartenders were all very nice. Beach waiters were great. We were a little surprised that quite a few staff members didn't understand or speak English, but it wasn't a big deal.

We've been to just about every island that offers all-inclusive properties. Beaches Turks was our favorite, but this is a close second. Beach was beautiful and property is very nice. Just wish it was closer to the beach!!! I know I've left something out -- just send me an email!

• Stayed April 2013, travelled with family
3 Thank SpoiledRottenMom
Paradisus P, General Manager at The Reserve at Paradisus Punta Cana, responded to this review, 22 April 2013
Dear guest,

We appreciate your time letting us know about your recent experience at The Reserve at Paradisus Punta Cana.

We are making so many changes to be able satisfied all our guests’ needs. Dinner reservations are one of the areas we are improving. We do have eleven restaurants, bar, lounges, and buffets, also we do provide our guest with private dinners by the beach and barbecue. We do regret if you were not able to try one of these options. We can assure you we will focus our efforts in provide more information all over the resort.

In reference to the chairs at the beach, we would like to inform you that we are working on the remodeling of the beach area, including extra long chairs that will be distributed all over the beach.

Our activities department have shows and entertainment all over the resort all day long, at The Reserve pool as well, we do lament your kids were not able to join our activities.

As we are deeply committed to achieving our guest’s total satisfaction, your opinion is very important to us. We will share your comments to our department heads.

We would love to have the opportunity to serve you in the future and delight you with our great customer service.

We are looking forward to your return.

Eduardo Perera

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (834)
  • Hebrew first
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 11 April 2013

We stayer in the reserve and was automatically upgraded due to MyTime.. It is a very big property with alot to do. The beach was beautiful and it was always some place to lay out in he sun. The room service was my favorite and also free. The staff was excellent even though most dont speak english. I receied a massage by the pool on the reserve and i fell asleep. I would definently recommend his location to anyone travelin to Punta Cana.. Thans Paradisus

• Stayed January 2013
2 Thank Lucklibralady25
Paradisus P, General Manager at The Reserve at Paradisus Punta Cana, responded to this review, 12 April 2013
Dear guest,

Thank you for sharing your comments with us and other travellers.

At The Reserve at Paradisus Punta Cana our main goal is our guests satisfaction, and after reading your feedback we are excited for the experience you lived.

We are glad you enjoyed your stay and really looking forward to your return!

NJ
Reviewed 8 April 2013

I am still here on vacation and wanted to write a review immediately!
Ok the good.... the staff are wondrful, always polite and informative. They will always greet you with a smile and once they have learned your name will not forget it, truly the best part of this vacation. The grounds are really well maintained, there is always staff making sure that everything is pristine. The rooms (we are staying in reserve section), since we have children (9-10) with us we are not permitted to stay in royal service, which sounds like from other reviews not a bad choice, as our room is great!!!! The kids stay on a pull out sofa while my husband and I have a king size bed, not king size room, but that's ok. The room is clean and has nice furnishings.
The bad.... that would be the food, hands down.... Not good. I am a foodie so a bit of a snob when it comes to food. I find the steak and chicken at the buffets ineddable. Oh, that brings me to the point of the a la carte restaurants, you HAVE to book and that took us an hour one morning, very annoying! Last night we went to Feugo.... OMG I seriously almost cried because the food there was amazing but you have to pay a $40 up charge per person, well worth it in my opinion but not worth it for the kids, we might go back and leave the kids at kids club or something. I will update the food status after I have been to some of the other restaurants that are a la carte and don't have an up charge. The grounds are absolutely huge, lots of walking since the "trains" run very irregular and you could be stuck on one for quite some time if new people want to get on and then detour to get off. They really should make specific schedules that run regularly on a designated route.
The ugly.... And it's ugly... You have to be out by about 7am to get a chair at the pool, if you are late forget it for the rest of the day. Not sure what time you have to get to the beach we got lucky twice, but the second time I think it was only because the chair we got was broken and very uncomfortable. People put their towels down and then return for hours and I mean hours. So when in Rome, I do it to but it drives me crazy. If everyone would just not do that there would be chairs everywhere. I went to a different resort and they had a 30 min rule, if you hadn't been there for 30 mins you were booted, excellent idea, they should really try that here, because there are always chairs when and where you want to go. Today I got to the pool at 6am, yes the sun was not even up... but I was. I'm already worrying about going to the beach and it's only 7am!!!!
Would I come back... Hmmm the jury is still out on that, I will have to wait to try the other restaurants. I also think they would have to change the chair rule for me to consider coming back, it's really stressful, not what you want on vacation.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled with family
6 Thank LimeyNJ
Paradisus P, General Manager at The Reserve at Paradisus Punta Cana, responded to this review, 15 April 2013
Dear guest,

We would like to thank you for your feedback; it is a great pleasure to get direct feedback from our guests in order to help us maintain and work on our service quality. We would also like to thank you for extending to us your observations and compliments on our rooms.

In relation to your comments about the quality of our food, we would like to point out that our menus are composed by carefully selected products, and done taking into consideration the diversity of our guests. Indeed, our satisfaction’s questionnaires always reflect high punctuations. Also our chefs are always pleased to cook something special when our guests are not delighted about meals.

In reference to the chairs at the beach, we would like to inform you that we are working on the remodeling of the beach area, including extra chaise long chairs that will be distributed all over the beach.

Thank you for complementing our compound and its facilities, once again we assure you that your comments have been forwarded, in order to keep the personnel motivated into giving the best that they possibly can so that we provide our guests with the best quality possible.

Tortola
Reviewed 7 April 2013

My husband and I and his cousin and wife stayed at The Reserve at Pardisus Punta Cana Resort March 25-29 2013 Building #37. We had an awesome time even though getting there was a bit of a headache thanks to American Airlines/Eagle. We arrived very late and was more than accommodated. Our room was fabulous, spacious and very comfortable. I am a foodie....so it was important to me that the food was on point and it was! Breakfast was divine especially the omelette and the choices of bread. The fruit, freshly made drinks-watermelon, orange, pineapple...to die for. I especially enjoyed dining at the Gabi Beach. Glienly, the night waiter at Naos Restaurant was fabulous and took very good care of me. Infact, the night we arrived my stomach was acting up and I asked him for a yoghurt and he went across the resort to another restaurant to get me one only to find out later on that yoghurt is only available at breakfast....thanks Glienly! Our concierge Sandra Cedeno was amazing! I truly appreciated her warmth every day. Diosmary at the Front Office, Marvin at the bar Grill, Raphael Bautista and Alicia Lois of Melia were so nice to us. Thanks guys for the great service.

The only problem we had was the length of time it took for the trolleys to come around at nights. That they definately need to improve on and we made sure to mention it. The shows and the dancing in the club were fun-filled and enjoyable! We went to relax, and have a great time and indeed we did! We came as guests and left as owners! Already we are planning our return trip with the children for August 2013.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Vanterpool
Paradisus P, General Manager at The Reserve at Paradisus Punta Cana, responded to this review, 11 April 2013
Dear guest,

We appreciate the time you spent letting us know about your recent experience at Paradise!

As you mentioned the most valuable thing we do have is our associates proffesionalism and sense of welcome. At The Reserve at Paradisus Punta Cana our main goal is your satisfaction and go above and beyond your expectations.

We are looking forward having you and your children back in August!!

Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
Reviewed 7 April 2013

What a wonderful vacation!! All of our needs were taken care of which made for a relaxing vacation with our children. Traveled with our 3 and 6 year old and always had options for fun at the Kids Zone. Yahaira, Nataly, Kilvaria and Berlis were wonderful with our kids, always greeting us with smiles when we entered the Kids Zone. Our kids truly enjoy the daily crafts/activities offered. Our concierge, Sandra Cedeno, was always professional and went out of her way to make sure all our needs were met. Tremendously helpful with booking our dinner reservations and answering any questions we had about the resort. We will not hesitate to book our family vacation at The Reserve again!

• Stayed March 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank SherriU_13
Dear guest,

THANK YOU! thank you very much for staying with us, thank you for your kind words and thank you for let us and other travellers know about your recent experience.

We will share your comments with our associates Yahaira, Sandra, Nataly, Kilvaria and Berlis , and congratulate them for their hard work and passion for service.

We are glad you enjoyed your experience and your children liked our KIDS ZONE, specially design for their safety enjoyment.

We are looking forward to host you back in the near future.

Albany, New York
Reviewed 5 April 2013

We choose The Reserve at Paradisus Punta Cana for our family vacation. We were a group of 25 people and three of the families choose to book a family concierge for a stress free vacation with kids. Before going on with the negatives, I would like to start off on a positive note appreciating the service provided by Ovido our Family Concierge, Sergio the manager at Vento, Melvin the grill chief. These guys went above and beyond trying to make the best of our vacation. Especially helping with providing meals when needed for our children and us.
Overall the resort was very disappointing. The variety and quality of the food in the buffets was not up to standard. It seemed as though you were eating basically the same food for all 7 days we were there for breakfast, lunch and dinner. We have been to other all inclusive resorts and we would never run out of choices in the 7 days were there in the buffet, but his was not the case at the Paradisus.
The rooms are nice but the walls are paper thin. You hear everything in the halls and the room next to you. The guest in the room next to you would be having a conversation in a normal tone and you would hear the conversation because the walls are so thin. The doors to the rooms don’t align so to open and close them you have to slam them so this disturbs your neighbors and everyone else in the building.
To add to our frustration during our stay, to get to anywhere on the property you needed to walk or wait for the shuttle. The wait for the shuttle would be about 15minutes. While waiting you would see all the Club Melia cars driving around empty but since you were not a member you could not use them but there were tons of them around but not enough of the shuttles for the non members. This really was frustrating to see empty carts go by and you were not able to use them.
Moving onto the Family Concierge concept we paid extra for was a waste of money. Each family who had the Family Concierge was supposed to get a cell phone; in our case 3 families had the service so we should have had 3 phones. However my husband and I arrived first so we got our phone the day we arrived, but our sister and brother did not. They were told they did not have enough phones on that day so if we can share the phone for the time being and they would get it the next day. So my sister got her phone but they still did not have another one for my brother who then just said forget it. This should not have occurred we should not have had to share phones just because we were one large family. The hotel knew beforehand how many Family Concierge groups there were and they should have had all the items ready based on individual numbers.
Then the next incident occurred with reserving the cabanas at the beach. The concierge is supposed to reserve a cabana for each individual family either at the pool or the beach. Well on Monday we requested to have 3 cabanas (one for each family) reserved at the beach for Tuesday. We were told he would not be able to book 3 cabanas for us at the beach. We would only be able to book 1 at the beach and 2 at the pool. How is that possible? If we were three separate families then we would have been able to have 3 separate cabanas at the beach but since out last names were the same and we were together we needed to share again. Where is the value of paying extra for a service we are not really getting?
The Family Concierge also offers turndown service, well not once in the entire time we stayed there were we able to use this service. They would always come knocking after 9PM or sometimes even 10PM for the turndown service by then our children would already be fast asleep. If you know there are kids in this area they should come earlier to provide the service. Most kids would be in bed before 9, only older kids would be up that late. So yet again we are not getting what we paid for.
The Paradisus Punta Cana – The Reserve was chosen since it seemed to be kid friendly however our experience makes us question the kid friendly aspect of the hotel. Our four children ranged from 18 months to 24 months. They are young and their meal times are early since they go to bed early, however the hotel does not accommodate for this. It is an all inclusive resort therefore food available 24 hours but you can’t keep giving them the same food every meal for the 7 days we were there. Our children are not old enough yet to understand they need to wait an hour before the restaurants open. Breakfast time was fine but the restaurants don’t open for lunch till 12:30 and the kids eat at 11AM so if we order from room service we have to order them breakfast food, which they already had at breakfast plus you are stuck in the room till your order comes since they can’t bring it anywhere but your room. Then dinner doesn’t start till 6:30 but the kids eat at 5 so yet again you are ordering room service but now the lunch menu, plus you are confined to your room once again. So the kids miss out on eat anything off the dinner menu. We spoke to our concierge about this and early in the week he said he would not be able to do anything about it because that is how the hotel policy is but then towards the middle of week he would try to go in the back and request the chiefs to make us some food early for the kids. I know he was given a hard time each meal by the staff for not following the policy. This was very stressful for the parents because when lunch and dinner time came around we would have to preorder the food to ensure we would have it on time for the kids. Half of the day went in us stressing out of what to do for meals, this should not have been the case in an all inclusive resort. Older children would be able to wait until the restaurant open for meal times but how do you expect young kids to wait that long?
Over all we were very disappointed with our stay at The Paradisus Punta Cana The Reserve, especially with the whole Family concierge concept. I regret to say this but we would not recommend this resort to anyone, especially families with children. We really feel the money and effort we spent for a nice family vacation was wasted and regret booking with this resort. In an all inclusive vacation the resort makes the vacation memorable and in our case it made a bad memory of a vacation.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled with family
9 Thank BP369
Dear guest,

We appreciate the time you spent letting us know about your recent experience at The Reserve at Paradisus Punta Cana.

We do have eleven restaurants at our resort, each restaurant has different concept: Mediterranean, Italian, Dominican, European, American, Japanese and tepanyaki, we do lament if we did not exceed your expectations with this variety of food.

At our restaurants we do offer a completely variety of food for all ages, also, we do work with the best chefs all over the world who are more than pleasure to accommodate your needs and culinary tastes, as well as special meals for children.

We do have several shuttles at the resort to accommodate our guest’s needs; however, we are not able to privatize one of our shuttles for twenty-five family members. Our Vacation Club cars are always available for our guests, but as we mentioned we cannot privatize our transportation for one specific family.

Our Family Concierge service looks forward to go beyond expectations; we do inform this service is available for all family members who previously require. We appreciate your understanding and your comments as help us in becoming better at what we do.

We would love to have the opportunity to serve you again in the near future and delight all family with our improvements in service; product and passion for satisfy your needs.

Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed 5 April 2013

The check in was so easy with help of Santos, the bellman,and all who welcomed our party of four. we got to our rooms they showed us the pool, the Gabi restaurant and the beach bar. We made resivations at six different restaurants all the meals were excellent. The upscale restaurants and waitstaff were so pleasant and could not do enough for us. The crew at Gabi beach bar was so helpful with our Spanish lessons and drinks thanks to Jose David, Dani Romdro andWilson Vallo. The rooms are spacious and comfortable. The beach is outstanding great for walks or just relaxing. We are planning to return soon but not soon enough.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled with friends
Dear guest,

Thank you very much for your kind comments! we will let Santos know about your words and our other associates.

At The Reserve at Paradisus Punta Cana our guests sense of welcome is one of the most important part of their stay.

Our main objective is go above and beyond expectations, we are glad you loved our beach and facilties.

Please do not hesitate to contact us for your next visit and we will ensure the most enjoyable stay.