“Perfect wedding and an even better vacation”

The Reserve at Paradisus Punta Cana
Ranked #5 of 112 Hotels in Punta Cana
GreenLeadersSilver level
Frankfurt, Hessen, Germany
“Perfect wedding and an even better vacation”
Reviewed 25 August 2013

Our vacation took place between July 31 and August 8 and the wedding on August 3, 2013.

We were surprised by an upgrade to the Reserve. When we arrived at the room there were roses and chocolate waiting for us. The room was very clean, very big and nicely decorated with a beautiful bathroom (almost as large as the living room).

The wedding organizers (Romance Assistants) - Miguelina Martinez and Jennifer Alvarez - exceeded our expectations: they took care of every detail and more, were always available for all kind of questions/doubts/last minute requests and extremely helpful and reliable. Because of them our wedding day was truly perfect. The photographer - Joaquin Rodriguez - was very professional and always smiling. He made us feel comfortable when taking the pictures. The pictures came out great.

There were many surprises done by the staff - rose petals on our bed the night of the wedding and the morning after the wedding we had a huge breakfast served in our room.

In general, food was excellent, staff was friendly, professional and always there to help us.

We had at our wedding a total of roughly 50 people coming from Europe, the US and South America and all of them very much enjoyed their stay at Paradisus Punta Cana. They are already thinking about coming back. My wife has been sad since we left (almost 3 weeks now). We plan to return soon.

Thanks again to everyone who helped us with our wedding, including the people did not mention.

Annie and Alberto

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (845)
  • Hebrew first
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
Branchburg, New Jersey
Reviewed 23 August 2013

Since I suspect this will turn into a long review, I'll start with the headline and then you can choose to read the details. We stayed at The Reserve from 8/2 to 8/9. The four of us (my wife and two daughters -- 21 and 17) stayed in the 2 bedroom master suite (basically the master suite with the attached single room). While there was one big issue and some minor things, we very much enjoyed our vacation and would like to return to the Reserve in the future. We loved the scenery, beach, pool, rooms and the people of the resort. The food is not spectacular but we certainly did not go hungry. The difference between a 4 and a 5 boils down to some of the peripheral things, e.g., excessive gift shop costs, timeshare push, room service, etc. Not big things but enough to bump down the rating a notch.

There are many pros about The Reserve. At the forefront are the many individuals with whom we felt genuinely cared about our enjoyment of the resort. Our concierge was Anthony Sosa and he got us off our trip off to a good start with dinner reservations and periodic check ins throughout our stay. Alexander Lopez seemed to go to great lengths ensuring we were entertained by greeting us with daily hellos and updates on the days entertainment. Good guy. Jose Reinoso and staff at the Hydro Grill were tremendous. Thank you Jose. Felix and Carlos in the Gabi Club. Good guys. Caesar and Emilio. Friendly and helpful. Many more to recognize -- all friendly, respectful and genuine.

We liked the food at the Hydro Grill, Melo and The Grill. The buffets were good. We did not enjoy Vento and were exceptionally disappointed in not being able to eat at Bana (the first few nights we couldn't get in and the it was suddenly closed down for the later half of our week). The menus at the other specialty restaurants did not interest us. I think the bottom line on the food is if you want 5 star cuisine then maybe all inclusive is not the best option. We all found things to eat throughout our week -- some things were better than others.

The grounds are amazing. They work hard to keep the resort beautiful which is no small task given the size of the place. The grounds are simply beautiful. We enjoyed walking around and very rarely felt the need to wait for the shuttle. The pool was clean and comfortable. We usually spent mornings poolside and the afternoons at the beach. The beach at the resort is not like the Corona commercial, it is the Corona commercial. We had no problems securing an umbrella and chairs at the beach after lunchtime. We did feel the need to rush out before 8:00 a.m. to line up a poolside cabana as they do tend to fill up. The later was a little frustrating as many spots were "reserved" with personal effects yet nobody seemed to show up many hours later. We did find if you asked the staff about a spot, they were not shy about liberating a reserved but unused spot for you. We made the walk to the beach in under 10 minutes and did not mind walking. We used the shuttle a few times but did not find the wait times to be excessive (as others did).

We thought the rooms were terrific. Lots of space. Very comfortable. The maids did a great job cleaning the rooms and did circle back some nights with extra towels. We are not sure about the other buildings but ours (#39) seemed generally up-to-date and did not have an old feel to it. I will say that the building was really noisy as doors constantly slam and (as we learned) there is a lot of activity in the early mornings maintaining that wonderful landscaping I mentioned earlier in the review. The maids did a nice job and were exceptionally prompt on days 1-4 but had to be tracked down for the latter half of our trip including missing a day (we had to follow up 3 times the next day to ensure the rooms got cleaned -- a bit of a nuisance since we did need breaks from the hot sun).

Again, lots of pros about The Reserve. Our biggest complaint was the "personal tour" which in effect was a vacation plan pitch. Now it may sound naïve that we would not have figured this out beforehand but we actually did and asked if the tour was going to be a timeshare push. We were told "no" as they did not have timeshares. Call it whatever you want -- it was a timeshare push. Once we were handed off to the tour person, we asked again and were told for the first time it was going to be a "sales presentation". When we politely declined, their tour person (sales person) became rude and condescending. This was annoying and a terrible way to start our vacation. Fortunately, there were a lot of other people at the resort that made up for this one particular individual's bad behavior.

The rest of our cons were more inconveniences:

- Resort Coupons: we found no value in the coupons given the excessive charges for the products and services included in the coupon booklet. We expect a resort premium and would have liked to have taken advantage of some things but the pricing (even after the coupons) was a huge turn off, e.g., manicure/pedicure $135 pre-coupon ($50). My free advice to management. Charge a little less and many like us would begrudgingly spend in the spirit of being on vacation.

- Internet Service in Rooms: if it weren't for all the advertising the resort does about their WiFi service I wouldn't even mention this but the wireless service in the rooms is simply bad and needs major improvement.

- Dinner Reservations: if Anthony had not helped us out (and this was a service included in our package) with reservations we probably would have eaten buffet all week. There are no in-room menus or instructions on how to set reservations in the specialty restaurants. Interestingly, the places we ate at were always about 1/3 full.

- Room Service: we expected to wait a little but 80 minutes for a couple of pizzas is way too long and on two subsequent nights no one even answered the phone.

- Gift shop: who doesn't want to come home with a souvenir but there are resort prices and then The Reserve premium gift shop prices. Again, charge a little less and watch sales volumes increase.

I'll end the review as we started. The things that bothered us were more than offset by the many positive things offered by the resort and we do plan to go back in the future. Hope you find this review to be helpful (and not just lengthy) as you plan your trip.

Room Tip: Building #39 (first floor, facing the road) is close to the Gabi Club and maintenance areas so it go...
1 Thank Rita R
Paradisus P, General Manager at The Reserve at Paradisus Punta Cana, responded to this review, 25 August 2013
Dear Rita,

Receive warm greetings from The Reserve at Paradisus Punta Cana, thank you for having taken the time to share you experience with us.

Let us begging by telling you that we deeply appreciate the way you describe every single detail of your experience since we give high importance to our guests comments and feedback because it is the most certain way we have to identify our areas of improvement and reasons to feel proud. Therefore we want you to be completely sure that your review is already in the hands of our heads department with the purpose of making the adjustments needed for you to find the true Pure Freedom experience in your next visit.

We would also like to assure that you gratitude will be extended to those who made you stay an
¨ Enjoyable Family Vacation ¨.

Please do not hesitate to contact us for your next visit; we are already waiting for you.

Kind Regards,

Eduardo Perera
Reviewed 23 August 2013

We went to the Reserve at Paradisus Punta Cana from August 10-17. My family and I had a wonderful time and would recommend it to anyone that is traveling to Punta Cana. We are a family with 2 kids and from the beginning we had a great experience. Luis Amparo at the front desk took care of a request from us to have connecting rooms, so that we could be close to our two children. When you get in ask for Luis Amparo as he will take the best care of you. The rooms where very spacious and clean.The master suites have two full double beds and the junior has one king which was perfect for my family. The grounds are amazing and the hotel is maintained to the highest standard. Emilio Valdez is the server by the pool and was the best attendant. Anytime my girls needed something he would come and provide it for us. He made our stay amazing. Most of the time we would eat at the GABI breakfast buffet. It was very good food and they made anything that you needed to start the day off right.

As for the hotel restaurants by far the best service that you are going to get is in FUEGO. We went twice after visiting all of the restaurants because the first time Jhonny gave us amazing service. When we went back but he was off and we where given another waiter by the name of Franklin and his service was even better. My wife and I both noticed how accommodating to all guests all of the waiters are as they cater to your needs. So if you ever go to this hotel go visit Fuego and ask for Jhonny and Franklin with either one you will get world class service.

This is our third time to Punta Cana and we had the best time so far in this hotel. We will be going back to this hotel when we return to Punta Cana.

1 Thank David C
Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic
Reviewed 23 August 2013

i just want to say I really enjoyed the stay in the reserve. i think it is a great hotel to enjoy with family, friends or just as a couple. For children they have the kids club and pool, there are toys bord games, trampollines, climbing walls ect. The hotel is very beautifull and comfortable, specially in the pool area, you can always find a nice spot to rest or relax that youn dont have to be under the sun. The rooms are spacious and i have no idea why some people said that the walls where and they could hear everything because my walls were concrete and i couldt hear anyone.
I tried the Vento restaurant, we were a group of 4 and we all enjoyed our dinner. It was creatively presented and the salmon and tuna i ordered were very good. The desert was delicious.

And for the service it was great, we got everything right away, even the train that everyone mentions. My husband wanted to make something special for me and he got in contact with the romance department and Jennifer was wonderfull. The room was beautiful, the champagne cold, the roses big and colorful. Our friend got engajed and that was something for a magazine if we could upload pictures we would. Everything with help from jennifer and the romance dept. We were very happy to go there and will go back as soon as we can. Everyone was soo nice.

1 Thank Cristal T
Dear Cristal,

Thank you for such kind words! We appreciate you having selected The Reserve at Paradisus Punta Cana as your holiday destination.

We are thrilled to learn that your experience was great and that we were able to exceed you expectations, being that our main goal we can proudly say that our day to day labor is being done with the passion and commitment that characterizes us in every possible way. Our associates are the most amazing asset we have, providing to our guest the services and treatment they deserve and always showing the great experience of Pure Freedom to you.

Congratulations to your friends for their engagement, we will be waiting to celebrate this important union and to host you once more in this great Paradise at The Reserve at Paradisus
Punta Cana.

Please do not hesitate to contact us for your next visit!

Eduardo Perera
Detroit, Michigan
Reviewed 23 August 2013

My wife and I can came to attend my niece’s wedding on the Hotel’s beach. We stayed for 6 days and had a really great time. The staff did a fantastic job, being both friendly and efficient. They went out of their way to help, taking the extra time and doing the extra things (some little, some bigger). Our building (42-43) concierge, Massiel Molma and favorite bartender Jorgelvis Vilorio deserve a special thanks being the “best of the best”.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Tim T
NJ
Reviewed 22 August 2013

We are a family of 4, with 2 kids, ages 10 and 7. My kids didn't want to go to the kids camp. The kids pool was more of a baby pool for small kids. We stayed for 7 nights, 8 days at the reserve. The categories in this hotel is, regular paradisus, the reserve, Family concierge, and Royal Service. Regular Paradisus you get checked in and have no idea where to eat. The reserve, you arrive, you get shown the restaurant before you get checked in. Family concierge just means you pay a little more for them to reserve a beach hut for you every single day so you can watch your kids, while regular reserve people have to fight to be in the 3rd for 4th row.

Here are the Pros
Always someone asking how the service is, how our stay is.
There is beach drink service, although very slow
Grounds are very well landscaped, amazing tropical flowers if you have time to walk around.
Rooms are clean, and nice
Housekeeping checks in twice a day, once in the morning and once at night.
Lots of restaurants and bars to eat and drink at. Cheeses and breads were very good. Aqua was my favorite restaurant. Loved the appetizer.
Great to have the huts if you can get to the beach early enough to get something in the third row

Here are the Cons
There are a mixture of family, singles and couples, and the fact that I have small kids, and there were some women walking around without their top wasn't something I wanted my kids to be exposed to. They attract different clientele, which can be a positive but in this instance it was a negative.
The grill at the reserve beach was horrible. I ordered pizza, nothing special. It took me 45 minutes to get the pizza and it was so disgusting, I took one bite and had to spit it out. Who can mess up pizza?
Check in at the reserve took 1 hour after we went to eat at the restaurant.
Concierge kept bothering us about a presentation, even up to the day before we were about to leave. They want to sell you a timeshare or another package, and arrange for breakfast at the beach or lunch to learn more about the company. We felt like we were being nagged about attending. Who wants to go on vacation to be bothered? Management at paradisus needs to rethink this.
Booking dinner reservation is horrible - It's a good thing we were prepared before we went, and knew how horrible the reservation system was there. I went to Iris. I waited for 1 hour to talk to her. I told her I was in room 1425. She wrote down my room, made one phone call and hung up and said nobody ever picked up. She never made any dinner reservations for her. If we relied on just her alone...we would be eating buffet every single day. Instead I went back to my room and called the front desk, asked to speak to dinner reservations and made reservations for the entire week with one 5 minute phone call.
Restaurants - Some restaurants were hit or miss. The Bana was one of the most disgusting places I had ever eaten. Please do not order the Pad Thai. I ordered that and took 2 small bites and was so grossed out even though I was so hungry. At both Gabis I had tried the yellow rice and both times there were chunks of disgusting seaweed in my both.Apparently the mussels were not cleaned correctly. Otherwise lots of selection.
WiFi - Even though they said at the reserve you have Wifi, that is not true, the entire resort has wifi unless you are in your room. You can be on the beach and still have wifi, but in your room, you will not receive anything.
Beach Service - Very slow, it often took us an 1 hour to get drinks every single day. They do not work very hard, even though we tipped every time they brought us a drink.
The rooms at the reserve - You can hear everything, other people's doors slamming, people arguing, their music blasting etc...whatever they are doing, you will be able to hear it, especially at night when you are trying to sleep.

It was a great experience for an all inclusive. Sometimes you get food that you don't care for, don't want to eat, and some times you can get food that actually taste very good. I'm glad I went. I had a great time. I will not go back to this resort, but would recommend it for someone who has reasonable expectation.

Room Tip: Reserve rooms are all the way on the other side, the furthest from the beach.
2 Thank mypebblez
West Palm Beach, Florida
Reviewed 22 August 2013

I always go back!!! I just love the service, the food, the fun environment. The service I had this last trip was amazing. I wanted to make sure I named the people that made my stay be the "best" Jose D Los Santos, Lenin Maria, Manolo Luis Santana, Manolo Guez,Lissett Zorilla, Miosolis Suero, Rosabel Lescallo and Gabriel Amelia. I came back home with memories of great friends.
Thank you so much for a great trip once again Paradisus Punta Cana and staff!!!!!!

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family