“Great vacation for families”

The Reserve at Paradisus Punta Cana
Ranked #5 of 112 Hotels in Punta Cana
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 19 June 2014

I just got back from the Reserve a few hours ago. My family and I spent the last 12 days there. We were sad to leave. Everyone was so kind and went out of their way to make our vacation a memorable one. We upgraded to Family Concierge and it was worth every penny. Our Concierges were Estefania and Sophia-- they were so wonderful with our daughter Scarlett. (She loved the surprise bubble bath with balloons!!!) Special shoutouts to Ruben who is alot of fun! (Bambina says hi!) Also Katherine at GABi was one of the sweetest people we met-- she welcomed us each morning with big smiles and hugs for my daughter.

Some of my friends saw my pictures we posted while at the resort and wanted to know where we were because it looked so beautiful and like so much fun. So before we even left, we were recommending this place.

Go, take your family, have fun. (Take me with you?!)

1  Thank Heather L
Paradisus P, General Manager at The Reserve at Paradisus Punta Cana, responded to this reviewResponded 20 June 2014

Dear Heather,

Receive the sunniest greetings from The Reserve at Paradisus Punta Cana; you cannot imagine how happy we all are not only to receive your comment but to know that we made the best of your stay.

It has been a pleasure for all of us to have had serve you as you and your family deserve, I can assure you that your warm words will be transmit to Estefania, Sophia, Ruben and also Katherine, they will be very glad knowing how great you felt with them.

Behind any successful company there is always an excellent team with a service commitment, which is exactly why The Reserve at Paradisus Punta Cana is definitely the best place for a pleasant vacation.

We will be waiting for your next visit; do not hesitate to contact us directly.

Kind regards.

Reviewed 17 June 2014

My husband, 3 year old son, and I just returned from our stay at the Reserve (June 2014). My husband and I stayed in the DR in 2010 for our honeymoon at a different resort, and we had dreamed of returning as we fell in love with the country and the people. Our recent trip exceeded our previous expectations - The Reseve was seriously the nicest resort we've ever stayed at!

First, we'd like to thank the amazing staff that truly made our stay the most enjoyable:
Family Concierge(s)- Estefania! She gave us our welcome tour, explained everything to us, gave us our cell phone and checked in with us every day whether it was meeting us by the pool, at breakfast, etc. She did all the things that can sometimes make your trip stressful - booking our cabanas, dinner reservations, spa treatment, and was truly kind and sincere, spending extra time getting to know our son. When your 3 year old is happy, you can relax as a parent - and that would not have been possible without Estefania's thoughtfulness. Also, a thank you to Sandra and Sophia - when Estefania was not available, they were both warm, welcoming, checking in with us to make sure our every need was met. They just made us feel like we were at home!

DJ "Junior"- thank you for helping us to take home a special memory of true Dominican music, always having a smile on your face, taking the time to ask us how our day was, and doing your job -- the entertainment and shows were excellent, as well as the beach party (every Saturday night!) with music right on the ocean with special guests -- worth staying up for :)

I've read complaints about the food, and now I wonder, where do those people usually eat?? The food was extremely fresh (including fruits, VEGETABLES --- salad bar at every meal, seafood, hot items, grilled items, juices, breads, and desserts/icecream) at the buffets, and we did have the luxury of eating at all of the a la carte restaurants because of the length of our stay. Not a single one disappointed, there were plenty of items to chose from, and our son always had something that he liked. He especially enjoyed the milk/cookies that were delivered by room service every night - a sweet yet special touch.
Some of the outstanding wait staff that we'd like to thank, for being so prompt, efficient, sincere, and just overall HARD working: Angel Almonte, Gaby Club: Juanilin, Jose Reinoso, Anthony Cid Anbiori Marte, Teurys Feliz Rubio Amado Garcia, Luis Vaseure, Willis Balentin. A big thank you to them all!!

Fabio V. Romero was an outstanding activities manager - he kept the energy positive and fun throughout the day, excellent job! There was always something to participate in - aqua spin, painting class, Dominican Rum tasting... OR, you could just relax!

The trolley ride from the Reserve to the main Paradisus/beach is less than 10 mins, goes through the beautifully landscaped grounds, and is readily available (we never waited more than 10 min total, catching it right outside our building). The beach is truly beautiful, and nicer than the other resort that we had previously stayed up farther north. There was only one day with a little seaweed - and guess what, it's the ocean! there's going to be seaweed! :) the waves were calm enough for our 3 year old to run in/out and just play in the sand, the cabanas were a nice retreat from the sun, and the service for drinks was again, outstanding (thank you Emilio Valdez and Josué Ramirez!!). When we weren't at the beach, we enjoyed the kids pool/adult pool which were also super clean. Something I also really appreciated about this resort - the towels are huge, plentiful, and fresh. Both poolside and in your room. We had brought some beach/pool toys with, but the Kids Zone and the concierges also have sand toys/floaties for you to use if you want.

We stayed in the one bedroom master suite -- which included a living area, dining area, room for our son's rollaway bed, a mini bar/sink area, master bedroom with king size bed, bathroom with the Jacuzzi tub, separate shower/toilet and 3 sinks. It was more room than we expected, and such a luxury! It was modernly decorated (the whole resort is really) and very zen/peaceful. Our maid (Maria?) greeted us with a smile every day, and did an excellent job - our room was clean, re-stocked, and she even called room service for us when we had requested additional milk/water for the fridge (not something the maids have on their carts, as an FYI).

A couple things that I was pleasantly surprised to find: they had standard US (even some grounded) outlets throughout the room. We had 2 separate AC controls plus ceiling fans, and the room was refreshingly cool after being outside all day. People had previously reviewed that the walls were 'thin' -- we could occasionally hear a neighbor or someone in the hallways, but overall, we had no noise concerns. There is a secure safe in the room (with a outlet in the back, so you can charge your phone while keeping it in the safe).

The WiFi is best at the main Gabi Club/restaurant area at the Reserve. We didn't mind having to be disconnected everywhere else we went, but I can see why others might complain about that.

I have been asked many times already to describe this trip to friends/family... it was amazing. I would highly recommend it to them, and I do to you, reading this review. You can't appreciate the beautifulness of the resort, the staff, or the country until you experience it. We will be back for sure, and will stay here again!!

1  Thank Nicole L

Dear Nicole,

Thank you for having selected The Reserve at Paradisus Punta Cana as your holiday destination and for taking the time to share your experience with us.

It is absolutely great to learn that you had a great time; we highly appreciate you warm word and the recognition to our associates. We feel grateful having the opportunity to work with a team committed to our guest’s satisfaction.

We hope to have the opportunity to host you again in a near future and make you live once again, the Pure Freedom experience; please do not hesitate to contact us for your next visit.

Reviewed 16 June 2014

This was the trip of a lifetime. We enjoyed every moment and could not have dreamed of a better experience. Ruben at the pool made activities a blast. Jose was the best bartender you could ask for, and Ramon at the pool grill was phenomenal. Additionally, Anabel at concierge was tremendous. All of these people working hard to make our experience perfect made for a wonderful trip. We had plenty to do, plenty to eat, and plenty of sun. If able, I will come back again with my wife, or with my family. This resort has something to offer for almost everybody.

Room Tip: Higher rooms not facing the pool have more private balconies.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
Paradisus P, General Manager at The Reserve at Paradisus Punta Cana, responded to this reviewResponded 17 June 2014

Dear Adam,

Thank you very much for sharing your amazing experience at The Reserve at Paradisus Punta Cana; it is an honor to receive your positive feedback.

It makes me very proud and happy to see your satisfaction words about your recent stay at our resort, and also that our team did their best to make you have a great time. I can assure you that they work with a deliver spirit and passion for service with the only purpose of get to exceed our guest’s expectations.

To me will be a privilege to congratulate Ruben from the activities department, Ramon at the Hydro Grill around the pool, Jose our bartender & Anabel our concierge for the excellent job they did and by served you as you deserve.

We will be glad to receive you and your family any time soon and make the best of your next stay.

Thanks for have chosen us.

Best regards.

Reviewed 16 June 2014 via mobile

I said we were going back and we did. This is truly a beautiful resort. The employees make the difference. One in particular is our concierge, Sandra Cedeño. She is amazing. From day one she had every day planned out. Melia is lucky to have her. Not once did she tell us something could not be done. Another thank you goes to Emilio "Drinkie Drinkie" Valdez, a hell of a server and Josué Ramirez, make sure you ask for a "Joey's Paradise", fabulous drink. If your goal is to relax and be pampered, this is the place. When I checked out they forgot to add my Melia Rewards points now the points for the last two years are gone. Other than that- PERFECT VACATION.

Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family

Dear Guest,

Receive warm greetings from The Reserve at Paradisus Punta Cana; it is always a pleasure to know the great time our guests always have at our resort.

The Reserve at Paradisus Punta Cana is definitely the perfect place to relax and be pampered, as our guests satisfaction is our main goal; reason why we put our special touches and our best disposition in everything that we do in order to make our visitors experience the pure freedom that we offer.

I would like to thank you for have taken into consideration the labor of our associates, especially of Sandra Cedeño, Emilio Valdez, & Jose Ramirez. They will be very happy to know how great you felt with their services.

You will never regret to come back to Paradise, we appreciate your preference.

Reviewed 16 June 2014

Wonderful experience, wonderful food, great views, amazing service from Anabel! Everything was taken care of promptly. The restaurants were better then expected. Plenty of night life to keep busy with. Many pools and bars to choose from. Highly recommended!

• Stayed: June 2014

Dear Guest,

Receive warm greetings from The Reserve at Paradisus Punta Cana; thank you for sharing your experience with us.

We are so glad to learn that you had a romantic escape at our resort, it gives us hope and the certainty that our objectives are being reached and that the passion and commitment of our team is giving as a result the satisfaction of our guests and the recreation of memorable experience; because you deserve it.

We will congratulate our associates for their great labor, especially to Anabel.

At The reserve at Paradisus Punta Cana we will be waiting for you; please do not hesitate to contact us for your next visit.

Regards,

Reviewed 15 June 2014

The Reserve at Paradisus Punta Cana is paradise with all of the trapings of a family holiday celebration. As I've indicated below the property was first class, the food was to die for 24/7 and the mixed drinks were made to perfection, of course only using Dominican Rum. What impressed me the most was the attention to detail displayed by the staff. They made every request was fullfiled in a timely and customer satisfaction driving manner; more specifically I would like to mention one staff member that really went out of her way to make my anniversary an unforgettable experience for my wife and I. Anabel Gonzales should be recognized as the employee of the month for her ablity to make us feel like family and at the same time anticipate our needs and at the same time carry out her duties as a services provider.

After observing the entire staff's behavior, it was obvious that the leadership had defined a specific culture they wanted, hired the right people, trained them and turned them loose on a very greatful customer.

You can't go wrong and if you happen to get Anabel as your concierge, I know you will enjoy your stay as much as we did.

Oscar Foster, Jr/Dr. Ivy Sandifer

Room Tip: All rooms are great rooms.....
1  Thank Oscar F

Dear Oscar,

Your comment makes us very happy! It is always appreciated to know that our guests were able to enjoy and that we were able to exceed their expectations. We also would like to thank you for trusting us into hosting your recent vacation; we do our best at creating memorable experiences and providing you every facility for you to live the Pure Freedom experience to Just Be.

We will congratulate Anabel Gonzalez on your behalf, for her commitment and making your stay a dream come true.

Please do not hesitate to contact us for your next visit; we are looking forward to hear from you.

Best Regards,

Reviewed 15 June 2014

I spent 7 nights from the end of May to the first week in June at the Reserve at Paradisus with my husband and 11-yr-old son. Upon arrival in the late afternoon on the first day, as other guests have mentioned, Yves told us that he would send someone to pick us up our first morning to take us to breakfast and then would give us a tour of the very large resort and explain how we could use the resort credits we had. That turned out to be a ruse. After being picked up, we were asked to listen to a 90 minute sales presentation as a means of helping Yves toward his promotion. I thought it strange that we'd be subjected to a pitch before we had the opportunity to become even slightly familiar with the property, but we agreed, believing that we here helping Yves and that we were going to get the personal tour he promised us. The pitch lasted longer than 90 minutes and even though it is presented as very time sensitive (you're supposed to decide within hours or certain incentives are not possible), the sales staff, Raphael and his manager, Victor, themselves were not pressuring us and were very pleasant. Our decision not to buy was immediately respected and we weren't hassled. We were unable to find Yves for the remainder of our stay so there was no tour, and we didn't find out until the 7th day of looking for him that we only needed to ask at a desk in the main lobby to receive our credits, by which time it was too late to make use of them.

The best thing about our stay, other than the gorgeous scenery, was the staff. They worked hard to ensure we had an excellent time. Our concierges, Diosmery Francisco, Adalgiza Morla, and Leidy Espinal, were more like friends. Our favorite waiters in the Gabi Club restaurant were José Torres and Luis Vasquez. José Reinoso always had an easy smile as he served us the tasty burgers cooked up by Ramon Simbert at the Hydro Grill. My son was partial to the drinks made for him by Rodolfo De Peña at the bar there. When we lounged by the pool, Emilio Valdez frequently checked to see if we needed a "drinky, drinky."

We also enjoyed the high-energy evening dance performances choreographed by Vladimir Gonzalez. Oscar brings so much passion and joy to his dancing that it is impossible to watch him without smiling. It was a pleasant surprise to see members of the Life Enrichment Activities personnel (David Contreras, Pedro Aquino, Ruben) dancing some evenings as well.

A few tips: Be aware that you are visiting a country where the national language is NOT English. The majority of personnel whose interaction with guests is critical did speak at least enough English (and often several other languages) to allow for communication, but if you don't speak Spanish I'd recommend taking a Spanish-English dictionary just in case. I found, with no exceptions, that everyone was DELIGHTED to help me practice the Spanish I'd learned over 20 years ago and hadn't practiced since.

The rooms don't come with washcloths for the face, but they were provided when asked for.

TAKE INSECT REPELLANT and anti-itch cream. After a brief, heavy rainstorm on one of the days, my legs were eaten alive by invisible bugs in the sand near the pool and by a few mosquitos. In a matter of only 15 minutes, I had 23 bites on one leg below the knee and 20 on the other. These were red and MADDENINGLY itchy!! Yesterday was my first day of relief over a week later. My husband and son escaped untouched despite the vast amount of time they spent literally buried in the sand at the beach, but TRUST me on this and be safe rather than sorry. A can of repellant that would be about $4 max in the U.S. costs closer to the equivalent of $14 in the resort gift shop.

Make dinner reservations early to ensure your choice is available. Better to make them and cancel if you change your mind than wait. Likewise, if you are interested in a bike, reserve one on your first day.

Be aware there are no elevators in the buildings and plan accordingly.

2  Thank Dawn J