“Reserve Family Concierge Week”

The Reserve at Paradisus Punta Cana
Ranked #5 of 110 Hotels in Punta Cana
GreenLeadersSilver level
“Reserve Family Concierge Week”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 June 2014

Just got back from a week stay. Had the adjoining family concierge master suite rooms, one with king bed the other with 2 queens. Facilities and grounds were impeccable. The people and place were beautiful. Overall an amazing week that I would repeat without hesitation. Trip advisor is spot on with the ratings on this resort. I suspect the higher rated resorts are adult only and have higher end food. The food was "good", easily accessible and plentiful but not extraordinary. If I were paying a la cart to eat at the restaurants, I probably wouldn't pay to go back to any of them. That is by no means a complaint! We didn't have a single "bad" meal and the service was excellent. We just didn't find the dining to be as excellent as everything else about the resort. The grilled grouper at Gabi lunch buffet was excellent and the pizza from the poolside grill was surprisingly good. Ramon Ramirez, Maike Ramirez(Mikey Mikey Drinky Drinky) Sant Fria an Aneida? at the Reserve beach were awesome. Could not ask for better beachside service and overall pleasant people to spend your beach days with. The drinks were stellar and frequent, what more can you ask for? As a tip, buy a Hydroflask, www.hydroflask.com and take it with you and you will get 18oz drink refills that stay cold vs. 8oz plastic cups with frozen drinks that melt as fast as you can drink them. Ovidio Pavillis, our Family Concierge went above and beyond to make our stay nothing but extraordinary. Thanks for making every day unique and something to remember. Fabio was always present and friendly, reminding us to catch the nightly entertainment which was in fact very entertaining. Buy cigars for nightly enjoyment by the North Bar. The gentleman who works there frequently is very helpful. I believe his name is Antonio? He hosts a poolside cigar demo on Wednesdays. If you want some to take back home, the Don Carlos he sells are great. Otherwise they are cheaper at the duty free airport store. I noticed the wooden sculptures that they peddle on beach were also cheaper in the airport. Overall a wonderful family vacation that I can wholeheartedly recommend.

Room Tip: Family Concierge if you have kids under 18. Otherwise Reserve.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (804)
  • Hebrew first
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
Decatur, Alabama
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 June 2014

We had a wonderful time at The Reserve in Punta Cana. The facilities, rooms and staff were excellent. The food was good too, but our favorite was Vento. We ate there twice and loved it each time. Another one of our favorite was a fried grouper sandwich at the Gabi beach bar for lunch.

One of the best thing of the trip was getting the privilege of meeting Maiker Ramirez (Mikey, Mikey) the beach runner. He served us all week and he is excellent! He delivered drinks all day everyday and has such a great personality. He is a great example of the service that we received all week at the reserve. The dining room staff was great too especially, Melvin and Jose at the Gabi. We had breakfast there each day and they were always there with a Mimosa ready for us to start the day.

The rooms were nice and looked as advertised on the website. I did see some compliants about the long dstance to the beach and they are true. It was an eight minute walk from our bldg. 37. We walked it alot,but would catch the carts occassionally. Sometimes the cart were quick, other times, we would have to wait for 15-20 mins. The resort is spread out so we got used to walking even at night to the various restaurants so it was no big deal to us. We used it as a way to walk off some of the calories from Mikey, Mikey's drinks and the excellent food.

Overall, the vacation was probably the best that our family has ever taken. We've been to Cancun, Cozumel, Bahamas, Jamica, etc. and the reserve at Punta Cana is probably the best resort of any that we have stayed at. The water is beautiful, although it's not crystal clear like some of the other caribbean islands. I'd give it a 99% for perfection. There were a couple of minor negatives, but overall it was great.

1 Thank J K
Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 June 2014

We just came back from Paradisus Punta Cana last week. This is a very beautiful resort and the staff are very friendly. Night entertainment is awesome and special thanks to Maykolis as he is a very professional entertainer and always reach out to the tourists. Keep up the good work.

This is my 10th visit to Punta Cana and the only concern i have in this resort is open-air concept in A La Carte restaurants. It is really hot to dine there especially this time of the year and also lot of mosquitos.

LEMEN & GARY

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Wayne, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 June 2014

This is a beautiful well kept resort with a magnificent beach and pool areas. We stayed in the Reserve where the accommodations were five star. We had three beautiful clean suites, kudos to housekeeping. Thanks to Leidy Espinal and Yeuri Beltre our wonderful concierge for taking care of us in a five star manner. What brings this otherwise perfect resort down, is the constant waiting for transportation to and from restaurants and the beach, as well as less than three star food. That being said, we highly recommend this resort for families with children. Our grand children said this was their best vacation ever.

Harriet and Gary Grayson

Room Tip: building 38 in the reserve was perfect because of Leidy and Yeuri
2 Thank gary g
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 June 2014

My first time abroad and it was amazing!!! The room was terrific and comfortable! My family was staying in the family concierge at the reserve! we received a warm welcome by our concierge Mayra! Through out the week we ate at a variety of restaurants and all of them were delicious my favorite would have to be aqua or market grill! The staff was AMAZING! at the restaurants by the pool at the beach whenever you needed a new drink there was someone waiting to refill your glass. Also during the week the concierge Mayra booked our dinners checked on us daily to make sure that we had everything we needed! was more then happy to inform us on everything that there was to partake in and brought us many many little surprises throughout the week! over all it was a amazing stay and all thanks to Mayra and all the staff!

Room Tip: family concierge is the way to go!
Detroit
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 June 2014

My stay here was wonderful and I plan to come very soon. The service was amazing and the entertainment team was always a pleasure to watch. I highly recommend coming to stay here. Jose Fernandez is the best, thank you for everything Jose!!!!

• Stayed June 2014
Delaware
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 June 2014

This is a partial review of my experience at the Melia Paradisus and Reserve in Punta Cana. I found conflicting reviews as well as a lack of images when researching where to stay in Punta Cana, so I was a bit nervous.

Reviews are only relative to what you are used to so without knowing that, it’s only a guess. For example if you normally stay at a motel 6, if you review a Marriott Courtyard, you will be amazed. If you normally drink yellow tail wine and then drink bottle of caymus, there is no comparison.

So, about me. I usually stay at wyndam, westin, and ritz carlton. I prefer finer 4 and 5 star restaurants. I am a foodie and someone who prefers great wine, usually over $30 a bottle. Again, I am saying this so you understand what I am used to and thus you can make a fair comparison for yourself.

Now, on to business. First, I will be posting a even more detailed review on the cardinham killigrew channel on youtube in about 2 weeks which will include video and tons of pictures. I will also be revisiting this resort from a family perspective sometime in the next year. Updates on twitter @cardinham

Reviews can be taken with a grain of salt. I reviewed almost 12 hotels before finally selecting this one. Overall the positive review in the 80-90% range, so that’s good. Many of the negatives in other reviews I found to be incorrect or overblown. I can be quite picky, discerning, and yet also very complimentary if the service is good. I will try to answer most of the questions I had…hopefully….again look for the full detailed review on YouTube in about a month.

The Paradisus and Reserve at Paradisus is a mega resort about 15-20 minutes from the airport. They are both on the same grounds and share the same bars, entertainment, restaurants. The reserve is in the back the paradisus up front. It appeared to me the reserve, though not at the beach was the quieter and more elegant part of the resort, though I did not see the paradisus rooms. In any case, when you are at one you can access the areas of all. That said there appeared to be different service levels, like royal service, concierge club, etc. These services give you wonderful add-ons. This is an all-inclusive resort with tons to offer and in addition has extras you can pay to add on, but are not needed to fully enjoy your stay. For example. All of your food and drinks are included, but there is one restaurant (Passion) that is an additional cost if you choose to visit it. Also, Spa treatments are additional and if you want extra high end liqueurs or wines, they are also available at an additional cost. That said they do provide mixed drinks, beer, wine, sparkling wine free of charge as well, just not the name brands. They are still good though.

The resort is huge with lots to offer. Running all around the resort are trams that take you everywhere. This was fun and convenient. There are numerous pools, children’s play areas, beaches, bars, restaurants, rock-climbing walls, caged archery ranges, shops, theatres, and a casino.

Upon entry we were greeted with smiles and taken into the lobby; our bags quickly checked. We were escorted into a lobby room for check-in. No counter and informal service here, no, the receptionist sat us at a private table and brought us cocktails and chocolates. The lobby was beautiful, water gardens, vegetation, and polished stone everywhere. I almost got an Asian zen sort of feeling and the warm calming smell of cedar wood in the air.

We were not given a map, with our room circled, and told walk that way, NO…were escorted, the whole time things being pointed out by our attentive receptionist. In our room she gave us a personal tour of the whole room, bags, already delivered.

The room was stunning. Polished stone, immaculate, light cream colors with accents of hard-wood. Did not look dated at all, in fact everything appeared fresh, crisp, with that pottery barn sort of look. Very, very nice. I would say the room quality was somewhere on par with something between a westin and a ritz carlton. Towels folded perfect, a FREE fully stocked mini bar, flat screen tv’s, stereos, flowers on the granite sink, whirlpool in room. Huge king sized bed with crisp clean white sheets, lotions, soaps, shower gels, all top brand. The room was simply beautiful (see the pictures).

The lobby of the buildings in the reserve are amazing and feature and attentive staff of personal concierges there to assist you with everything from cabana to restaurant reservations. The two ladies who assisted us were amazing! Every time I walked in or left I was greeted with a huge smile and by my name. I really got the impression they love their job and they loved making their guests happy.

The pool complex(s) at the reserve. This is divided into two areas, the big huge main pool, and about 20 yards away a huge kids play area. So the main pool, what can I say, paradise on earth. Simply beautiful, clean, well-kept. The pool is huge with in water lounge chairs, whirlpools, and zero-depth. It is surrounded by cabanas, day beds, and dozens of lounge chairs. There is a swim up bar and a very attentive staff that walks around bringing you drinks and food. The palms sway overhead and the whole resort is amazing and beautiful gardens. Every blade of grass and every plant is manicured to perfection. The groundskeepers should be praised by management for keeping the property so beautiful. I hope management takes the time to share this with them and praise them for the beauty they keep so perfect.

The beach area, a 2 minute tram ride from the reserve, is simply beautiful. The long crescent beach gently slopes into turquoise water. The beach is white with whitish pink sand that is soft as baby powder. The water is about 50 shades of turquoise and simply stunning. There is a bit of surf at the beach line and somehow even this is beautiful. It’s not the churned up brown I am used to here on the east coast, it’s actually a washed out tan with a hint of pink that just fades perfectly into the blue sea. About 10-15 feet out its calm and beautiful! The beaches are maintained and clean, I did not see any trash, but did see a very small line of sea weed which could easily be racked every morning. The beach is covered with cabanas, day beds, and beach chairs and attended by smiling bartenders and servers. Again, the staff shines and makes you feel like part of the family. Ramon at the reserve beach was fantastic, every half hour or so he would peak into our cabana with a huge smile and ask us if we needed anything. He was great! There are small stands on the beach to provide you towels, magazines, and even sun tan lotion! The beach was a long crescent that stretched in every direction with gently blowing pals lining it, simply beautiful. BEACH and OCEAN WAS a 9 out of 10

The food, bars, and restaurants. Well, it’s everywhere! There are like 9 restaurants and I think 12 bars…approximately. So as I mentioned this is all-inclusive. So you food and basic house drinks are included. If you want house red, white, or sparkling wine…included. If you want a bottle of Moet Chandon, it’s extra. Get it? Now, the restaurants, 3 categories. Passion, you pay for this one. The rest are all free and included. They fall into two categories. Buffett and Ala Carte. Buffet, you simply show up when you want, breakfast, lunch, dinner, and feast. The ala carte you make reservations for and order off a menu, again all inclusive. The buffet, now I am not a buffet fan, usually it’s rubbish, This however is a different level. It changes every day and includes such a vast array of food that it boggles the mind. That aside the presentation is simply beautiful! Everything is plated or stacked with great care and much presented in elegant display. Omelets made to order, beef loin in sauce, pizza, hamburgers, caviar, shrimp ceviche, cheeses, fruit, cured meats, and desert after desert. The best part, it’s above average quality. The staff in the buffets were well groomed, immaculate uniforms, and very attentive at your tables. I am a big clean freak, so I positioned myself near the door to the kitchen to take a peak. Again, immaculate. Nothing out of place or dirty; pristine. Next we move to the ala carte restaurants. From Argentinean steak house, to Mediterranean, to Mexican, they have it all. Each one its own theme and menu. The service was yet again exceptional and the staff warm and friendly. The food quality was overall well above average. Aurtoro at the grill was amazing! He greeted us at our table with a huge smile and attentive service I have not seen even in 5 star restaurants. The care he took in opening a bottle of wine blew my mind. This was a man who took such pleasure and pride in his job and his guests happiness that I was more then impressed. In fact if melia and Paradisus management does not see this man’s potential, they must be nuts. I would fast track him to management immediately! Aurtoro, thank you. I actually asked him to take our picture, after the first , he shook his head, and insisted on posing us and lining up the shot. Turned out to be one of the best pictures on the trip! Above and beyond seems to be the staffs style here. Finally, Passion. The extra cost restaurant. So, where do I begin? First, some may say, why would I pay extra when I can eat for free. Try Passion, and I will show you a convert. This place was over the top! Beautiful décor, amazing staff, and food that simply left your head swimming in pleasure. The staff, well they were amazing as usual, I think we had at least 4 people at our table, yes, personal service. If you got up, someone would run to the door to where the bathrooms are so you wouldn’t be bothered with opening the door yourself. Ever the eye was watchful to ensure the wine or water glass never got too low, the manager paid us a visit to ensure everything was good. This same manager I watched, He analyzed everything, eyed the room, the tables, the food, always ensuring his operation was exceptional! And it was. The tasting menu was outstanding and if you love trying new things and enjoying different foods, you will be delighted with the 7+ courses! On par with some of the best French restaurants I’ve been too.

Now, on to the spa! A separate building housed in what appeared to be an Asian garden was beautiful. The staff friendly. The locker rooms are again immaculate and feature steam rooms, saunas, and whirlpools outside in their own enclosed meditation garden. I received a hour long deep tissue massage which was one of the best I have ever had. The spa is an additional fee.

Entertainment. While I did not partake on this trip, there is a casino and a theatre in the main lobby. The theatre has nightly shows. Also, while we were there a huge beach party was set up on the beach. This had cabana bottle service, daybeds, a huge DJ booth with a live band and light show and dancers and stilt walkers. It was great! I believe they do this one night a week.

Shopping. The main lobby feature a boutique that caries toiletries, basic medicines, cigars, postcards, stamps, souvenirs, as well as a selection of shirts, skirts, shoes, wine, liquor, and sunglasses. They kind of had it all. That said the prices on certain things were a bit off and very high. I paid $37 for suntan lotion. This seemed to me a bit of price gouging. I could see $10 or $15, even $20, but almost $40?! Other than this it had almost all of what you could need. There is also a little alley off the main beach by the lobby that has a local artisan souvenir shop. It is nice and the prices are good for the stuff to take home.

To sum it up, the hotel, grounds, and rooms were on a quality level of between a westin and a ritz carlton. I felt the grounds and rooms, overall presentation and cleanliness were exceptional and well above average. I could not find one flaw.

To the staff I cannot say enough. The true treasure of this resort are its staff. I believe this must be a testament to paradisus management. I cannot believe that that many people were so happy with their jobs if management did not treat them with respect and ensure their well-being. There are many hotels, but the staff is what makes a hotel great and makes them want to come back. The staff at paradisus was by far the most exceptional hotel staff I have ever dealt with. They felt like family by the time I left. Every person that I passed made eye contact with me, smiled, and greeted me! Every single one, housekeepers, groundskeepers, managers, bartenders, even the gentlemen hauling away refuse. Every single one smiled and greeted me! That says something. Silvio, the guest services manager was great! he ensured our stay was amazing and went above and beyond; yet another fine example of great customer service and someone who loves their work and takes pride in their job well done. At Reserve Bar - Lenin and his partner Yaihiraba (I tried with her name..sorry) - I was trying to read her tag and she pronounced it for me...they were amazing! I sat and watched...they engaged their customers with smiles, all the while cleaning, topping up bottles, facing the labels, and wiping down bottles. They worked hard to ensure their area was spotless!!!! Pride is everything to the staff and they show it!

As to the pool complexes, beautiful, entertaining, clean and well kept.

The beach, classic Caribbean beach. Beautiful sand, turquoise waters, free of trash, and simply beautiful. It appeared that they probably have staff look out for cups and straws and immediately go after trash. Keep up the great work!

The pros: the food, the room, the beach, the pool, the PEOPLE!

The Cons: There is not a lot, perhaps just nitpicky, but I guess I must find something right? As mentioned there was a very thin line of seaweed at the beach edge. I expect this could be raked easily by one man each AM in probably 20 minutes. Vento restaurant, the food was exceptional, the staff was great, but the theme and décor looked like an afterthought. Like they just had some extra space and tossed something in. All the rest of the restaurants were beautifully decorated except for this one. Might I suggest a large floral display or fountain to break the room up and add some warmth? On check in the lady mentioned she was giving me a voucher to come back and a credit at the spa, I never got this, perhaps a misunderstanding? I am not sure.

In the end I had an amazing trip with almost no issues in any way. It was paradise. I took advantage of the included things and partook in extra paid things like spas, premium cocktails, and upper end champagne. All was wonderful! I will be following up this review with a very detailed video and picture review on YouTube which I will include twice the information. Also, I will be re-doing this review later this year when I go back, but from a family with children perspective. I also will follow up on future visits to let you know if the service and quality are maintained. I hope to visit the rest of the Caribbean resorts and hopefully post similar review, look for them! they appear to have a new costa rico resort opening soon as well as mexico and Puerto rico. I also hope management shares these reviews with everyone from the grounds crew to the upper managers.

Steve at Cardinham Killigrew Luxury Skincare

Room Tip: Most rooms were amazing! Some garden and some pool and beach. Garden views are tropical and quiet...
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple