“Ultimate luxury in Punta Cana”

Eden Roc at Cap Cana
Ranked #15 of 112 Hotels in Punta Cana
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Reviewed 11 February 2013

After visiting this beautiful boutique style hotel, I have no doubt, it is one of the best luxury resorts in Punta Cana! I am a travel agent and I specialize in luxury travel, and this hotel hits every point of luxury. There are other hotels in Punta Cana that claim they are "luxury" but do not come close. Maybe for the client that wants the "All Inclusive hotel loaded with people and fighting over beach chairs and watching people get loaded drunk everyday"....This is a hotel for those who truly appreciate luxury, service, the best finishings, the best food, etc...Walking into the reception you are met with a beautiful glass walkway under your feet with flowing water, and beautiful furnishings. The hotel is small, so for people that like privacy, this is perfect. You get to take advantage of one of the most beautiful beaches in the Dominican republic, at Caleton Beach, and you are next to one of the best golf courses in the caribbean. The only other resorts that I can say can honestly compare, would be the Sanctaury Cap Cana or the Marina Sands at the fishing lodge..All the others in my opinion come in a distant second...

Room Tip: If you want to be dazzled, gof or the Black Stallion Suite....wow!!!!!
  • Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple
12  Thank sunl0ver22
Daniele T, Director of Sales at Eden Roc at Cap Cana, responded to this reviewResponded 13 February 2013

Dear Sunlover22

Thank you so much for such positive feedback regarding your recent stay with us. I am delighted to read that you found "Eden Roc at Cap Cana" as the only and true luxury property in the Dominican Republic.Thank you for your gracious comments regarding our Suites and all their unique amenities, the hotel location and the food and service in our restaurants.
We truly value and appreciate your patronage and can’t wait to welcome you and your travel companion back in the very near future!

Kind Regards,

There are newer reviews for Eden Roc at Cap Cana

Reviewed 1 February 2013 via mobile

Amazing concept, quite different from others options in Doninican Republic.

Rooms are by far the best in DR., no compare with Similar standard a such is Tortuga Bay or Casa de Campo.

Overprice, should revise pricing.

Prívate beach unique!

• Stayed: January 2013
13  Thank Licey7
Daniele T, Director of Sales at Eden Roc at Cap Cana, responded to this reviewResponded 9 February 2013

Dear Licey,
Thank you very much for taking the time and effort to post a personal review here at TripAdvisor following your stay at Eden Roc at Cap Cana.

We are delighted to note that you found our service and facilities to your satisfaction, as this is what we strive to achieve at all times.

I will personally relay your feedback to the team who will be glad to know that his efforts contributed to your enjoyable stay. Your comments will give them more motivation to be better ever, thank you for the time taken to write your wonderful words in Tripadvisor.

I truly hope to welcome you back in the not so distant future. Please do not hesitate to contact me should you require any assistance in the future.
Kind Regards, Daniele Trombacco

Reviewed 27 January 2013

This was our second trip to Cap Cana. Previously we stayed at Golden Bear shortly after it opened, my review is on this site. Although it is pricey, Eden Roc is a wonderful property with a staff that is superb. At present, there are around 20 rooms open out of about 34 planned in total. We spent four nights there, and I believe only around 5 or 6 rooms were occupied. That can be a bit disconcerting if you are looking for action, but we loved the peace and quiet. Rooms are large and wonderfully appointed, although we do agree with some reviewers issues with hot water, showers are a bit tepid and need to be addressed. Each room has its own plunge pool, a nice plus. You get your own golf cart to roam around, it is about 2 minutes to Caleton Beach Club, a lovely facility with a gorgeous beach. Again, there was hardly anyone there, beach was a haven of peace and quiet. The main restaurant at Eden Roc is very good but way too expensive for dinner, even for jaded Manhattanites like us, and I suspect that will change in the near future. The chef is Swiss trained and his cuisine is wonderful, but he needs to take it down a notch or two. We are golfers and stayed here in large part because of the proximity to Corales and to Punta de Espada, two world class courses. I'd like to see what happens with this property over the next 12 months, but even though it needs some minor tweaking, it is on its way to becoming a favored resort for those of us who turn up their noses at the all inclusives in Punta Cana with their mediocre food and shrieking children, and prefer a more sophisticated and serene property. Will definitely return.

Room Tip: Although they are the same size, the lagoon view rooms do have a better view than the garden view ro...
  • Stayed: January 2013, travelled as a couple
12  Thank susan r
daniele T, Director of Sales at Eden Roc at Cap Cana, responded to this reviewResponded 4 June 2013

Dear Susan,

Thank you for sharing your review within the Trip Advisor community. We appreciate the kind words regarding our hotel and your positive experience while staying with us.

We look forward to welcoming back soon!

Kind Regards,
Director of Sales & Marketing

Reviewed 11 January 2013

We have been traveling to the Dominican Republic since the 80’s and Sanctuary Cap Cana has been our favored resort in Punta Cana, until this trip. We travel with friends and alternate writing reviews of our trip. We normally travel 3 times per year and at least two of those trips are spent at all-inclusive resorts throughout the Caribbean. To celebrate the 2013 New Year, we splurged for luxury and fine dining, which we do not find at all-inclusive resorts. My apologies for the lengthy review but since this is a newer property, I want to be more descriptive.

We had the pleasure of surrounding ourselves in ultimate luxury at Eden Roc Cap, Dec. 28-Jan.4. It is located in the gated Cap Cana Community featuring a golf course, marina and the Caleton Beach Club. Eden Roc brings resort life to new level in the 36 colorful suites. They also bring you a personal and unforgettable experience in an idyllic setting of peacefulness. ER is pricey but worth. We stayed at Sandy Lane in Barbados last New Year’s Eve, loved it and didn’t expect to find another resort that could compare. We had very high expectations but ER was even better than we could have fathomed. This has to be one of the best resorts in the Caribbean.

We were met at the airport by our driver and enjoyed the short ride to ER. The driver was professional and chatty, made us feel welcome from the start. As we approached ER, the cross of a 5 star boutique resort with eclectic soul of the Caribbean came to mind. The buildings were in vibrant tropical colors, the architecture is sophisticated but simple. The resort is so well thought out- the blending beauty of the landscape coincides with the buildings.

After the warmest, most attentive reception, we were off to our suite. Traveling around the resort is accomplished via golf cart. A golf cart is included with each room and each has their own pad for parking. The grounds are magnificent – every attention to detail is given to manicuring the entire property. Future growth promises more lush plantings and will be the envy of all visitors.

It is evident that each staff member has been selected for their charisma, friendly attitudes and pride in their jobs. I have never experienced this level of care in any Punta Cana resort or anywhere in the Caribbean, for that matter.

We enter our suite and we are agog. The rooms are gorgeous, modern and generously sized. It caters to your every desire. The vaulted ceiling adds a dramatic and open feeling. 21st century modern technology accouterments….i-Pad controls the room and sound system – gone were the leather bound books. There is great attention to luxury, comfort and style…. it oozes romance. The furnishings, beds, towels, toiletries and linens are top luxury quality. The restroom is ridiculously big and houses the largest rain shower I have ever seen at a resort. I was elated to see two separate sinks, vanities, mirrors, and not the standard, coequal, slab of double sinks. There is a very large hot tub, with doors opening to a private terrace, in fact, numerous windows and doors. My favorite amenity was a private outdoor shower. The outdoor space, (individual terrace) was simply gorgeous with a private oversized plunge pool, gazebo, sitting area, table/chairs and comfy loungers for uninterrupted lounging. Some of our friends had some issues with the hot water, on demand, but they thought it may have just been the user, as it was only a temporary setback. The closet appears to be lined with cedar and a safe is built into the closet.

The towels were plentiful and the spa robes were wonderful after an active day. The air conditioning was highly effective against the tropical weather. Housekeeping is excellent, utterly unseen and unobtrusive.

The food was EXCELLENT. (I have never really cared for the food in Punta Cana but never starved…just thought it was okay) A great chef is a gift from God and Eden Roc certainly knows how to acquire them. The chefs are some of the best in the culinary field. There was a trio of eateries. I couldn’t wait until my next meal at ER. Sandwiches and salads could be found at the Blue Lagoon pool restaurant/bar. The prices on the menu were hefty, very hefty, even by New York standards, but the food was fresh, artfully created and varied. There was a core menu at LaPalapa and Mediterraneo but the chefs encouraged us to order dishes unrelated to the menu. The ingredients are sourced locally, whenever possible. I can’t rave enough about the culinary experience with stellar service and very fine wine. LaPalapa sits on top of the cliffs overlooking a beautiful cove. The night and waves crashing make a romantic setting. Seating is available inside or out. (seafood linguini is to die for – best I’ve ever had and the bread is homemade and fantastic) Meals were served at a relaxed but efficient pace, always with a warm smile and radiant personality. We savored each and every bite. Sensational cuisine.

The beach is located in a cove so the seaweed is minimal. Sea water is clearer, calm, with sand that is powder soft and snow white. The beach is not big but easily accommodates the resort guests as it’s very well laid out and retains a copious amount of palm trees. There is never a rush, early in the morning, to get prime seating because it never seems over crowded. (I would not expect that at a resort of this caliber and was not disappointed) It’s a private beach, no vendors, time share sales, excursion sales or any other minor annoyances. The loungers are comfortable and plenty of side tables to accommodate them. There are sunbeds, hammocks and different type of comfortable chairs and loungers are all around the beach and pool. There is a separate children’s pool. In addition to the room’s private pool, there is a free form pool that snakes through the grounds and the main pool (extremely clean and well maintained) is at the Caleton Club. (which is part of Eden Roc)

New Year’s Eve….pre NYE, NYE and post NYE was amazing. (the festivities would require a separate review) The planning of these events must have been time consuming, as well as a high degree of expertise and organizational skills. The staff members did not disappoint. Simply wonderful and we are so appreciative. Thanks to all involved in making such a memorable occasion.

Punta Espade 18 hole golf course is tough and challenging. I think the 8 of us were a bit anxious because we were afraid we were missing something fabulous at the resort. The course is between natural grottos and the sea. A caddy is mandatory, common practice at many Caribbean golf courses, but they know their golf and were more than helpful. He certainly taught me a few things and his sanguine personality only added to the experience. Many laughs and a fun time had by all. (we won’t discuss golf scores) Beautiful course and highly recommend but if the exorbitant fees were being paid out of my pocket, I may reconsider.

This review is longer than I anticipated but I find myself with so many memories and details I haven’t even touched on. I realize I could go on and on and bore you stiff. For us and our group, this was a near perfect getaway from the beginning to the end. This is our best romantic holiday in the Caribbean, to date. It was exclusive, yet a relaxed and friendly resort.

We left Eden Roc with a sense of sadness. It was difficult to leave a world of tropical elegance. Eden Roc will lavishly house you and yours, whether you are honeymooners or a family of six. This would not be a resort for unruly children or a boisterous “party” atmosphere. It provides a hypnotic effect and much to our amazement, it’s exactly what we needed…we were beyond spoiled and pampered.

Just to reiterate, the staff, the staff, the staff – incredible and unbelievable. We look forward to a future visit. Thanks to the staff at Eden Roc, each and every one of you for providing us a fantasy that we will never forget. We then transferred to TFL for 6 nights of our split trip.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled as a couple
14  Thank Tingy
daniele T, Director of Sales at Eden Roc at Cap Cana, responded to this reviewResponded 13 January 2013

It's an absolute pleasure for us at Eden Roc to read your wonderful review. Thank you. The feedback is very well received!
We have been striving for many months now to create in this stunning destination, a vacation experience that creates long lasting memories for our guests. We're so thrilled that the tiny details which we have laboured over, are in fact, noticed and appreciated as we'd hoped. At Eden Roc we believe these small details add up to make all the difference.

Eden Roc at Cap Cana is the first of what will be a boutique chain of luxury properties worldwide and we hope that you're able to continue having memorable travel experiences with Solaya Hotels and Resorts.

Warm regards,

Director of Sales and Marketing

Reviewed 8 January 2013

I have traveled to Cap Cana perhaps a dozen times, most with my family. On several of those trips, I have written and photographed articles for major travel, lifestyle and golf magazines. Two years ago I had lunch with a fanatical Frenchman who told me about the coming fantasy of Eden Roc, and I assumed it would be another dream turned to mirage at Cap Cana, which has so much promise, but has seen so many delays and problems, mostly from the global financial crisis.

We have stayed at Puntacana Club as well as Sanctuary and what was the Caleton Beach Club. Alas, Puntacana was not what I consider a great resort, but it was a pioneer, and the golf courses are spectacular. A fine place for a golf weekend, but the hotel just wasn't right for a family vacation -- perhaps the villas are better. Sanctuary has struggled mightily, despite its fabulous design and some of the most spectacular oceanfront suites in the Caribbean. It has changed management several times, and it seems the revenues need to catch up to the maintenance needs. So, I decided to investigate Eden Roc when I was told it was ready for its close up.

My son and I flew down for a visit in July, to see if we thought it was worth risking our Christmas vacation on something new and untested. We stayed in a one-bedroom suite on the lagoon. Half of the resort was completed, the rest a gaping construction site. Our room was really terrific -- state of the art, big, and everything worked. The bathrooms are beyond fabulous. The only shortcoming was the lack of privacy on the lagoon. These sexy medium-sized plunge pools are open to everyone's view, as is your room with the shades open. Maybe as the plantings fill in this will be mitigated somewhat, but it seems intentional. The overall effect is undeniably lovely -- a pleasing, lush oasis, with bright colors that are never harsh.

We took a tour, and it was when I saw the shell of what was to become the 3-bedroom Black Horse Suite that I decided to take a chance and book it, even though it did not seem possible it, or the massive main house or western half of the resort could possibly be finished by Christmas.

When we arrived on Dec. 26, everything was beyond amazing. The villa was completely finished and decorated (although it could use a few more pieces of furniture). The A/C worked, as did everything else, including the iPad controls for music and light. It took the on-demand hot water heater a bit to get going, but once it did, the hot water supply seemed never to end. This is a sumptuous, comfortable, and 5-star accommodation in every regard. There is a full kitchen with a big fridge, and it is all stocked and totally functional. The bedrooms and bathrooms are huge and bright., closets vast . The whole is like a private spa with an additional outdoor shower and lounging area.

Outside, the pool was crisp and clear, and they had somehow landscaped what had been a sandy construction site into a lush yard. Thanks to the villa's location backing onto the perimeter of the property, it is totally private, and will be more so as the plantings grow in. The only negatives? The jacuzzi in the master tub did not work, and the outdoor hot tub did not get hot. I'm sure they will have those things fixed soon.

Service to the villa was good -- though turndown service required a phone call to the over-loaded switchboard (the phone system is stil being finished). Housekeeping did a great job, and all was kept pristine.

Food at the restaurants was excellent -- by far the best in the DR. The chef is from Milan, and the main restaurant (Mediterraneo) has a refined menu, with heady prices. La Palapa, at the beach, has a great, more informal Mediterranean/Italian feel and selection. Breakfasts were plentiful and quality superb. A dearth of berries was the only gap. Pastas, meats, fish -- all were handled with sophistication and skill. Importantly, we were repeatedly told if we wanted anything not on the menu, or made a certain way, they would do it, and they delivered every time.

The beach is a two-minute golf cart ride, and Calrton is one of the Caribbean's nicest. Intimate, fully serviced, with perfect sand and ideal swimming conditions. The lunch menu is typical. The buffets up at the Clubhouse on the beach were a bit overwhelming and expensive, but again, the food was truly outstanding. Particularly the bread -- a miracle in the Caribbean! It was spectacularly good French baguettes, Ciabatta, and seven grain rolls.

The golf course at Cap Cana is a monster - great challenge and perfect conditioning. It's expensive, but worth every penny. If the resort really gets going, I hope they re-boot the second venue, which was almost finished before the markets caved in.

We did hear a number of complaints from Eden Roc guests that a few of the most recently-completed rooms had issues ranging from no hot water to no TV or internet. I think management was over-ambitious in opening the whole resort this Christmas, and I hope they made adjustments and left everyone satisfied. I am certain that if they bring all the rooms up to
their full standard, there will be absolutely nothing to complain about.

The Spa was not finished yet, but we had three in-room massages that were 9.6 out of 10, and I get physical therapy and massage all the time. They were great!

There is a nice shopping plaza ten minutes from the hotel, with a massive supermarket, the Nacional, which rivals a Publix or Whole Foods. I've never seen the like in the Caribbean anywhere. I bought a huge, sweet ripe papaya and a half pound of Iberico ham, and we stocked up on Gatorade, tomatoes -- pretty much anything you might ever want. The pharmacy in the center sells suntan lotions and any cosmetics or toiletries (there's also a HUGE section at the Nacional), and the two make up for the lack of any shops at all at Eden Roc.

Eden Roc is one of those resorts you pray succeeds. It has been designed and executed beautifully, the management and staff work hard to please. It is the first resort we have ever stayed at as a family that was not a walk-out to the beach, yet we were completely happy. We have already booked our return next year.

Room Tip: Rooms on the perimeter have more privacy, but the lagoon is lovely.
  • Stayed: December 2012, travelled with family
11  Thank MikeONYC

Dear Mike,

It was an absolute pleasure to see you again in Cap Cana. Thank you for your kind words and we're thrilled you had a great experience at Eden Roc.
We look forward to seeing you again in December!

Warm regards,

Director of Sales & Marketing

Reviewed 12 December 2012

a corner of paradise...perfect hospitality ...food the best ...i get in the caribean ...la palaga restaurant..
fab private beach position
relaxing having a fresh fish and glass of white wine
villas room fantastic...the service perfect all are smiling and efficient
food from palaga is really the best all the service team at disposal all the time
beautifull massage in the beach...

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled solo
8  Thank ros b
Reviewed 29 November 2012

What to say about this fantastic hotel? Many things! I already had shared a wonderful holiday experience with my girlfriend at the Caleton Club Villas about a year and a half ago, and decided to return to experience the recently opened Eden Roc Cap Cana. The hotel is at literally 10min from the airport, so I can see how this hotel will have success, not like the other pain staking hotels in the Caribbean where you have to take another small plane or small boat to reach them. The destination is comfortable, especially for someone like me from Europe, just like taking any other international flight.

My girlfriend and I spent 6 nights from the 22nd to the 27th of November. I have already been to Eden Rock in St. Barths and to Hotel du Cap – Eden Roc in Cap d’Antibes (a reference for luxury), two marvellous hotels. Therefore, I was surprised to hear that another ‘Eden Roc’ was going to open in the Caribbean and especially in Cap Cana where I had already been; such a name carries great responsibility, so I was rather sceptical whether I would experience the same “pampering” as in the other Eden Roc(k)s’…

Well let me tell you that this hotel has not just reached, the ‘Eden Roc-Standard’, but I believe it has surpassed it. During our stay, the lobby was not yet finished, nor the main hotel pool, but all the suites were complete. We stayed at Suite #31, an incredibly joyful, colourful, spacious and state-of-the-art room. I have never seen suites this size in the Caribbean, maybe at l’Ile de France in St. Barths, but for $2000 more per night…Our room came with a cute little golf cart that we used to move around the Hotel complex and to ‘commute’ to the Caleton beach (which also belongs to the Eden Roc Cap Cana group), a private swimming pool in front of the room (incredible!!!) with a very suggestive and relaxing gazebo on the side (perfect to read a book).

The service in the hotel is very good: courteous, well mannered and prone to fulfil any request. The only thing is that the room service breakfast took some time to get delivered, however, that could be due to the recent opening of the hotel (so MAYBE the staff wasn’t perfectly coordinated, and it was fully booked while we stayed). Moreover, since the main restaurant of the hotel was not open, we spent our lunches and dinners at La Palapa. We had already experienced incredible culinary prowess the last time we had been here from the amazingly energetic and sympathetic cook Riccardo. This time, it was ten times better! I can’t believe how this restaurant has changed; from the decoration to the food. I had small local lobsters with exceptional pasta and my girlfriend had one of the best tuna filets she has ever had; everything is so fresh! And well, what to say about the beach? Speechless…

All said, I truly loved the hotel. Just recently opened, but exceeded every single of my expectations that I would expect from a luxury boutique hotel. I am eager to come back when it is completely finished. I have been to many luxury hotels from the Palace of Gstaad, Badrutt’s in Sankt Moritz, Hotel de Paris in Monaco places for me that are legendary…If this hotel is managed well and it’s future growth planned intelligently, then it will become (if it’s not already) another legend.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled as a couple