Eden Roc at Cap Cana
Excellence Punta Cana(Punta Cana)(Great Value!)
US$439
US$352
Excellence Resorts
  • Breakfast included
Dreams Punta Cana Resort & Spa(Punta Cana)(Great Value!)
US$259
  • Breakfast included
Paradisus Punta Cana Resort(Punta Cana)(Great Value!)
US$292
US$240
Melia.com
  • Breakfast included
Barcelo Bavaro Beach - Adults Only(Punta Cana)(Great Value!)
US$398
US$208
US$262
US$255
  • Breakfast included
Zoetry Agua Punta Cana(Punta Cana)(Great Value!)
US$539
US$508
US$465
US$444
Bookit.com
Dreams Palm Beach Punta Cana(Punta Cana)(Great Value!)
US$263
  • Breakfast included
Occidental Caribe(Punta Cana)(Great Value!)
US$183
US$156
Priceline
  • Breakfast included
The Reserve at Paradisus Punta Cana(Punta Cana)(Great Value!)
US$337
US$286
Melia.com
  • Breakfast included
All reviewsprivate pooloutdoor showergolf cartrelais chateauxpalapa restaurantcaleton beachpunta espadagated communitysandy lane in barbadosbedroom villapersonal poolscape parkgold cartboutique hoteljuan josekids clubthe mediterranean restaurant
Reviewed 30 December 2013 via mobile

This is certainly THE BEST place I've ever Been to!! Suites are beautiful, food is great, service is outstanding, the pvt pool is just greaaat!! But there are a couple if things This hotel have to take care of such us:
1- The snakes!! Yes, SNAKES in your backyard. I was so scared! Inmeadiatily called The front desk and they said that it was normal that The day before other guests had a snake in their pvt pool!!!. For me that is not normal. I will never take my children there!
2- Seriously they have to take care of The flies at The restaurant its just literally a fight between you and The flies when you are having a meal.

3- The bed sheets!!! I'm sure that they are very expensive imported from some very exotic place but they terrible! They itch!!!!!!

Sadly this 3 things are important to me and I Just wont go back until This things are not taken care of!!

Other Than This This place is a dream come true

Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Maria C
Daniele T, Director of Sales at Eden Roc at Cap Cana, responded to this reviewResponded 6 January 2014

Dear Maria C,

I trust this mail finds you well!

Thank you for taking the time to review your most recent stay at Eden Roc at Cap Cana. We’re so happy to hear that you enjoyed your time here.

We strive to create one-of-a-kind experiences for each and every guest, and as you found, our professional staff is integral in those efforts. All guests are treated to personalized and genuine attention .

It goes without saying that your comment about that 'snake' leaves us a bit baffled and we apologize for this inconvenient. Although we are set in a beautiful fragrant tropical Caribbean garden it is our first time a guest report this. After investigating with our front desk team we were advised of the misunderstanding in the communication, as there was no previous guest that came with a snake.
I want to inform you that the Island snakes are completely armless and that we have taken the necessary actions to reinforce our fumigation preventing any annoying flies and unpleasant visitors.

We look forward to seeing you again soon. If there’s anything we can do to help plan a stay, just let us know.

d.trombacco@edenroccapcana.com

Reviewed 29 November 2013

The beach at Eden Roc is absolutely beautiful. They provided beach toys for my youngest, the pool was huge and everything was clean. There is a small playground for kids as well, but it was too hot to make use of it.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank vitadbella
Daniele T, Director of Sales at Eden Roc at Cap Cana, responded to this reviewResponded 16 December 2013

Dear Vitadbella,

Thank you very much for your recent review to Eden Roc at Cap Cana. We are delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us and for your comment about our Beach Club.

We look forward to having you back.

d.trombacco@edenroccapcana.com

Reviewed 22 November 2013

Since my first visit many things have changed in this hotel!

I wasn't expecting such a drastic change within such a short amount of time. I spent a week in the hotel and was truly in awe with the efficiency and availability of the staff and how it has improved since my last visit. The rooms are great as always offering an incredible comfortable private indoor and outdoor area.

What has surprised me the most has been the excellent quality and food that has been kept at the main restaurant 'Mediterraneo', I truly believe it is not short of any other Michelin-starred restaurant in Europe. The perfectly balanced Mediterranean cuisine it offers perfectly complements the hotel's essence.

Moreover, the SPA was a great experience too. With a wide variety of massages and treatments it was hard to choose!

I spent an incredible week again and will be returning soon for Easter I hope! This is a place I will be coming back to very often.

Room Tip: Ask for the Golden Shell suite. One word: AMAZING.
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
5  Thank alma89
Daniele T, Director of Sales at Eden Roc at Cap Cana, responded to this reviewResponded 23 November 2013

Dear Alma89,

Thank you so much for your positive feedback and welcome back to your home away from home. I am truly delighted to read that our service team and experience all together exceeded your expectations. We will look forward to welcoming you back again this coming Easter. Thanks again,

Reviewed 31 October 2013

It has been almost a week since our return from Eden Roc at Cap Cana. I wanted to wait a bit to write this review to have time to think about our trip.

My wife and I have been to many ultra luxury resorts around the world so we have some perspective as to what to expect from this type of property. I can tell you from our experience, Eden Roc is about as good as it gets.

We were met at the airport and delivered to a welcoming committee which was waiting for us at the entrance to the resort. We were upgraded from a junior suite to a 1 bedroom without even asking. Next was a personal tour of the grounds and our suite. The grounds and accommodations are magnificent.

Understated luxury is the theme here. Attention to details that individually might not seem like a big deal start to pile up. You start to realize how much thought and attention have gone into making this place world class. I casually mentioned that I like the shade and within minutes, an enormous umbrella appeared by our private pool. A team continuously manicures the lush landscape. The beach at the Caleton Beach Club is private, stunning and immaculate.

There weren't many other guests here during our stay but honestly, I don't think it would have made much difference even if the place was full. We were known by name and our preferences both in the room and and at meals were quickly picked up on and remembered.

Meals at both La Palapa and Mediterraneo were wonderful. We were expecting the dinner tabs to be steep, but coming from New York, we didn't really think the prices were out of line. Other restaurants at the Marina area were also outstanding. We never had a disappointing meal.

The property, the setting, and the food were all great but what really makes this place shine is the staff. There is a sense of caring from those who work here that's nothing short of extraordinary. No fake smiles. These people are happy to see you and they are genuinely glad you've come to visit them.

After our week was over, it was time to say goodbye. We have never been hugged before when leaving a resort but that's exactly what we got from the staff here as the cab pulled up for our trip to the airport. We will be back.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Rick W

Dear Rik,

Thank you so much for your positive feedback pertaining to your most recent visit. I am truly delighted to read that our service team, our location, your suite and your experience all together exceeded your expectations. Comments like yours are a true inspiration to our continued pursuit of excellence in everything we do. Thank you also for recommending our hotel. Your patronage and loyalty are highly valued and appreciated. We will look forward to welcoming you back, hopefully in the not far future.

Reviewed 29 August 2013

This was a very difficult review to write. The resort has so many positives to it that I hate to fault it at all, but after having given it some thought, I decided it was worth mentioning the flaws with the caveat that I still hold this property in high regard. To give some context, we stayed for six days here, so I felt like we had a pretty decent opportunity to feel this place out and identify the things we liked/did not like. If we had stayed only a couple of nights, maybe none of these things would have been noticed or been sufficiently irritating to remember.

First off, our stay started a little bit rocky because the hotel transportation did not pick us up from the airport (and we arrived exactly on time), so I was not particularly pleased at having to decide whether to stick around and wait in the heat or to just take a taxi. We opted for the taxi who charged us $15 from the airport to the resort, including a stop at the grocery store for some incidentals (this price will become relevant later in the review). That being said, I arrived at the resort a little miffed. Luckily, the staff were so pleasant and welcoming that I soon forgot my irritation and focused on beginning my relaxing vacation. This became somewhat of a theme throughout the stay (i.e. I would show up to breakfast wanting to describe my complaints, but the staff's attitude put me at peace somehow).

The resort itself is flawlessly gorgeous. What a stunning blend of colors, textures, and stones! The landscaping (although not yet fully mature) was beautiful and well tended to. I found their use of plants and flowers to be consistent with the locale and done with utmost taste. They definitey spared no expense in the design and construction, and I would find anyone hard-pressed to challenge its 5-star status from an aesthetic perspective. The Caleton Beach Club had a similarly beautiful design and use of materials to create a tropical paradise.

Now to the room/villa: gorgeous! I was not terribly thrilled at the idea of staying in a room surrounded in pink, but it was tasteful, tropical and elegant. I loved the detail in the flooring and you could see that a lot of thought had been put into the flow of the room. The living room was comfortable, elegant yet sparsely furnished. The bedroom also had a minimalist quality to it, so it felt clean and simple. The bathroom was exquisite. The intricate flower-like weaving of the lamps by the vanities, looking out to the patio just outside the bathroom was beautiful as well. The villa, from every room and from practically every angle, brings the outside in, but with a feeling of complete privacy. I also thought the walk-in wooden closet was a nice touch. It felt like a home, rather than just a nice hotel room. The pool outside was always kept immaculately clean and the temperature was consistently fantastic. My only complaint about the pool is that it has a rough plaster to it, resulting in more than a few scrapes over the course of our stay. A pool of this caliber of resort should really either be tiled or have a smooth finish to the plaster. Additionally, due to the landscaping not yet being mature, you do not feel very private, especially if you have guests in the neighboring villa. We were alone the first four nights, but then had a couple move in, and it felt strange because you could hear their conversation, etc. Anyways, not a huge deal, but if you are expecting 100% privacy, then do not!

The service, for the most part, was quite excellent. I found everyone to be friendly, warm and very well-trained. They exuded a quiet elegance, and I really enjoyed talking to each of them. They also, for the most part, delivered everything quickly. For example, if we asked to have ice sent to the room, they were there in less than five minutes. They also promptly answered the telephone. There is nothing worse than calling reception and having the phone ring a thousand times. That did not happen here. The only complaint that I have regarding the service is that sometimes maintenance requests had to be repeated, and sometimes, the request was never taken care of at all. For example, the shower did not have any hot water, and I had to ask a couple of times before it finally got taken care of. Also, immediately upon arrival, we noticed that the outdoor speakers and the speakers in the living room did not work. We mentioned this every day, but we never got it taken care of and never really received an apology either. It would have been nice to have been moved to a different room with functioning speakers, especially since the resort was basically deserted when we were there. The beach service was the only service that I found to be appallingly amateurish. As I mentioned previously, hardly anyone else was there when we were there, yet it would take up to 15 minutes or more just to get a beer or cocktail. I also wish they would have had cool towels available to freshen yourself after being in the sun for an extended period of time. I also believe that they should have cucumber water stations available rather than charging for bottles of water. This is the first place I have ever stayed that charged for bottled water.

The food: breakfast was my favorite meal of the day. I loved the variety of choices that they offered and definitely enjoyed indulging in the coconut water. The breakfast staff were always super friendly, and their five-star service training was evident at each step of the way. I wish I could remember all of their names, but I am horrible with names these days. I definitely remember Maria though! Her smile could light up the room. The breakfast service may be a bit formal to some people, but I think anyone who has sufficient experience traveling at these types of places would expect it. After breakfast is where things fell a bit flat for me food-wise. When I travel, I like to have varied eating options, and I particularly like to have local eating options. Only two restaurants were open for dinner during our stay, and La Palapa was the only choice for lunch. When I travel someplace, particularly a beach resort, the last thing I want to eat is what I would consider "NY steakhouse" food, i.e. Italian dishes, heavy meats, etc. Granted, they do have seafood options (the lobster fajitas were INCREDIBLE!), but the menu never changed, so you get easily bored. I would have liked more local food options. I also thought the prices were pretty exploitative, but that is pretty much a given at any 5-star resort these days. For example, my partner ordered the Catch of the Day, and it was $34. I wanted something else, but the waiter insisted that the fish was too large for one person and should best be shared. Reluctantly, I agreed. Once the bill came, all of a sudden, the $34 fish became $68. If I would have ordered something entirely different (which was my preference, by the way), it would have been $34, but since we shared, it was $68? I found that to be a bit distasteful. After that experience, I was kind of turned off their restaurants and was determined to find an alternative option. Luckily, in our golf-cart excursions, we stumbled upon Juanillo Beach which is near Sanctuary Cap Cana. Juanillo's was exactly what we were looking for food-wise: seafood pizza, lobster, fresh fish, ceviche, etc., all served to you right on the beach. The prices were great, the menu had a good variety of options, the quality was amazing and it felt much more casual for the setting. I will talk about Juanillo more a bit later. All in all, the quality of the food at Eden Roc is without reproach, but I would ask that they consider having more casual/local options. They appear to be catering to the "American who wants to travel but still eat like an American." That is not me.

I feel like I have covered the main points. The last few things that I will address are really just irritating things, but again, if you stay for just a couple of days, I do not think they will be a huge issue. First off, I chose this place because I wanted privacy and exclusivity. The fact that the resort has only 33 or so villas meant to me that, at any given time, there would a maximum of 100 people. I did not, however, realize that the beach is not private. The beach club is just that: a club, so people from the community can come and enjoy the beach. The beach is VERY VERY small, so even a small amount of people can make the area feel crowded. The other thing that I actually absolutely hated was that they rent out the beach area to wedding parties, so the whole time we were there, literally, every day, there was some random couple posing all over the beach area, in the water, around the pool and around the restaurant for what seemed like hours each time! It was very off-putting because I felt like we were being constrained because when they were in the water, you could not go in for fear of getting in their picture (i.e. that is how small the water area is). I hated it, and I am sure the owners at Eden Roc are making a killing off of it, but it felt so low rent and more appropriate for an all-inclusive resort. After the third day, we stopped going to the Caleton Beach Club and went to Juanillo. At Juanillo Beach, the area is much more spread out (think long, expansive beach waterfront versus a small, semi-circular cove at Caleton), they play great loungy-beach music and you can literally stay there all day and feel more private than at the "exclusive Caleton Beach Club." Sorry for the brief rant, but I just feel like Eden Roc needs to decide if it wants to be an exclusive 5-star resort or just part of the way. My last rant involves the taxis. I noticed in a prior review that someone said they got a $2 taxi ride to the marina to go to dinner. I wish we would have shared their luck! We took two taxis: one to the grocery store to get sunblock, and another to a different grocery store for incidentals. The first taxi charged us $80 (I thought he was joking) for a 15 minute drive, and the second charged us $60 for a 5-10 minute drive. I felt so completely exploited and taken advantage of, and I have never felt that way in any other destination. We speak Spanish also, so I also did not expect to fall prey to such extortion. Remember, upon arrival, I noted in my review above that the taxi driver took us from the airport to the same grocery store and to the resort for $15. He even offered to take us on a tour of Santo Domingo for only $150. To be honest, the taxi situation is enough of a deterrent to prevent me from returning. Punta Cana (well, Cap Cana) is gorgeous, but the Eden Roc does not offer enough stimulation for a stay of longer than 3 days.

In summary, the resort is gorgeous, the people are friendly and the service is mostly outstanding. I suggest going for a few days, but think twice before extended stays here.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
33  Thank DCTraveler1979
daniele T, Director of Sales at Eden Roc at Cap Cana, responded to this reviewResponded 5 October 2013

Dear DCTraveler1979,

Thank you very much for sharing your experience from your recent stay with us! We are thrilled to hear that you enjoyed your stay . We also appreciate and value your comments in regards to the overall feeling and expectations.

We are hoping to be able to welcome you back in the near future for another terrific stay!