What an unbelievably relaxing vacation.....my husband and I wanted to go somewhere for our babymoon that was a quick, direct flight from NY and easy to get to. We found Eden Roc on Trip Advisor and with all the great reviews decided this was the place. It did not disappoint. This was our first trip to the Dominican Republic and we truly loved the island, the weather (80 degrees F everyday and sunny) and the people. But more on the resort itself.....
When we arrived, we asked how full the resort was and we were told 70%. However, I honestly cannot believe they were 70% full. We were there for 5 days and felt like we were one of the few staying there. It was not uncommon for us to be the only ones eating breakfast or only one of 3 or 4 eating dinner. I had not problem at all getting a spa appointment at the time I desired. I am definitely not complaining...it was lovely....just an observation.
Service: Everyone was beyond nice and super helpful. There was always staff around when you needed them. The only thing that was a little annoying, was that some of the staff didn't speak English very well, so it was a bit of a challenge at some times. We found this particularly to be the case when ordering food at breakfast. My husband ordered an egg white omelet with spinach and onions, and no oil. We had the waitress repeat it back to us like 4 times because each time she said omelet with spinach and mushrooms. Where she got mushrooms from, I'll never know. And when the omelet came it was not egg white and it had a lot of oil. We also had to ask for a pool umbrella 3 times, over a period of 2 days from the front desk until we got it (and I got a little pissy to make it happen) - I don't really think that was language related. That aside, the service was really great.....one instance sticks in my mind that I was really impressed with. The wait staff at the restaurant knew I was pregnant and therefore could not eat any raw fish. When they brought a complementary pre-appetizer to our table for dinner they brought the standard sashimi for my husband and automatically cooked shrimp for me. I was so impressed! I thought it was so kind and considerate!!!! Really very thoughtful.
2) Food: All the food was VERY good. Especially the ice cream which they make there. I highly recommend the chocolate. All the seafood was very fresh and delicious. I ordered a grilled lobster one night and they literally put a 3 pound lobster in front of me. I have never eaten a lobster so large in my life.....but it was delicious and enjoyed every bite. We got the package that included the food because we usually feel that it is worth it in the end. But I am not sure I would do that again here for 2 reasons.....1) There are only 2 restaurants, and while the menus are a decent size, by day 3 I started to get a little sick of eating at the same places for breakfast, lunch and dinner. 2) The portions are large and I ate way too much. You get an appetizer, entrée and dessert for both lunch and dinner included. I could have easily gotten away with an appetizer for lunch and just an entrée for dinner. (.....and I'm pregnant)
3) Accommodations:The accommodations we very impressive. Not your standard hotel/resort. Each guest basically has their own little house/mini villa (minus the kitchen). It was very clean and modern. It came with an in the wall ipad that can be used for your personal use and also so turn on and off lights and the tv. I've never seen that before. They also have a "pillow menu" where you can order additional pillows (different kinds to choose from) for your sleeping pleasure. Also never seen that before and thought it was quite innovative. There is a large tub in the bathroom that looks like the kind of tub you just want to soak in for hours....well, plan ahead because it LITERALLY takes 2 1/2 hours for it to fill up with water. No joke. 2 1/2 hours. Personally, I didn't love the rain shower in the bathroom, I found the pressure to be too be far light and the water just wasn't hot enough. But no fear....there is the most amazing outdoor shower enclosed in the privacy of your villa. It had amazing pressure, hot water and was so luxurious! I miss it :-( The other great thing about the villas was the backyard. You get lounge chairs, 2 little seating area under a trellis and a nice size little pool. I've been to other resorts where you get a plunge pool, but this was far bigger and more like a small pool than a plunge pool. I loved my pool.
A few other things to note: They give you a golf cart to shuttle yourself around the resort which was fun and different. And if you and your partner need to be in different places at the same time, they will have someone shuttle you separately if needed. The main pool was really never used, I guess people favored the beach or their own pools, as we did. The nice thing about the beach is that we never had trouble finding a chair. It was NOT one of those places where you have to get up at 5am to claim a chair. We would go down at 11am and have no problem. I also found it interesting that there were a lot of non-americans there -- a lot of Russians and South Americans. The Americans we did meet (3 couples) were all from the NY area.
Overall, I would go back and recommend it to others. And boy do I miss that outdoor shower!!!!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Redefining luxury in the Dominican Republic, Eden Roc at Cap Cana, the only Relais & Chateaux hotel in the island, consists of 34 freestanding suites with private pools and stunning views. Eden Roc at Cap Cana offers extravagant amenities such as a full service spa, a Jack Nicklaus Signature Golf Course (Punta Espada) located nearby, private Beach Club, Koko Kids Club, five diverse culinary selections, 753 square feet of meeting space at Corallina Conference Room and various multi-purpose spaces ideal for destination weddings and corporate functions. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with LoveHolidays, TravelUp, Prestigia, Booking.com, Travel Republic (UK), Expedia, TripOnline SA, Evoline ltd, HotelsClick, Cancelon, Ebookers, HotelQuickly, getaroom.com and 5viajes2012 S.L. so you can book your Eden Roc at Cap Cana reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.