“Relaxing, Dominican Style”

Eden Roc at Cap Cana
Ranked #15 of 112 Hotels in Punta Cana
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Reviewed 5 February 2014

What an unbelievably relaxing vacation.....my husband and I wanted to go somewhere for our babymoon that was a quick, direct flight from NY and easy to get to. We found Eden Roc on Trip Advisor and with all the great reviews decided this was the place. It did not disappoint. This was our first trip to the Dominican Republic and we truly loved the island, the weather (80 degrees F everyday and sunny) and the people. But more on the resort itself.....

When we arrived, we asked how full the resort was and we were told 70%. However, I honestly cannot believe they were 70% full. We were there for 5 days and felt like we were one of the few staying there. It was not uncommon for us to be the only ones eating breakfast or only one of 3 or 4 eating dinner. I had not problem at all getting a spa appointment at the time I desired. I am definitely not complaining...it was lovely....just an observation.

Service: Everyone was beyond nice and super helpful. There was always staff around when you needed them. The only thing that was a little annoying, was that some of the staff didn't speak English very well, so it was a bit of a challenge at some times. We found this particularly to be the case when ordering food at breakfast. My husband ordered an egg white omelet with spinach and onions, and no oil. We had the waitress repeat it back to us like 4 times because each time she said omelet with spinach and mushrooms. Where she got mushrooms from, I'll never know. And when the omelet came it was not egg white and it had a lot of oil. We also had to ask for a pool umbrella 3 times, over a period of 2 days from the front desk until we got it (and I got a little pissy to make it happen) - I don't really think that was language related. That aside, the service was really great.....one instance sticks in my mind that I was really impressed with. The wait staff at the restaurant knew I was pregnant and therefore could not eat any raw fish. When they brought a complementary pre-appetizer to our table for dinner they brought the standard sashimi for my husband and automatically cooked shrimp for me. I was so impressed! I thought it was so kind and considerate!!!! Really very thoughtful.

2) Food: All the food was VERY good. Especially the ice cream which they make there. I highly recommend the chocolate. All the seafood was very fresh and delicious. I ordered a grilled lobster one night and they literally put a 3 pound lobster in front of me. I have never eaten a lobster so large in my life.....but it was delicious and enjoyed every bite. We got the package that included the food because we usually feel that it is worth it in the end. But I am not sure I would do that again here for 2 reasons.....1) There are only 2 restaurants, and while the menus are a decent size, by day 3 I started to get a little sick of eating at the same places for breakfast, lunch and dinner. 2) The portions are large and I ate way too much. You get an appetizer, entrée and dessert for both lunch and dinner included. I could have easily gotten away with an appetizer for lunch and just an entrée for dinner. (.....and I'm pregnant)

3) Accommodations:The accommodations we very impressive. Not your standard hotel/resort. Each guest basically has their own little house/mini villa (minus the kitchen). It was very clean and modern. It came with an in the wall ipad that can be used for your personal use and also so turn on and off lights and the tv. I've never seen that before. They also have a "pillow menu" where you can order additional pillows (different kinds to choose from) for your sleeping pleasure. Also never seen that before and thought it was quite innovative. There is a large tub in the bathroom that looks like the kind of tub you just want to soak in for hours....well, plan ahead because it LITERALLY takes 2 1/2 hours for it to fill up with water. No joke. 2 1/2 hours. Personally, I didn't love the rain shower in the bathroom, I found the pressure to be too be far light and the water just wasn't hot enough. But no fear....there is the most amazing outdoor shower enclosed in the privacy of your villa. It had amazing pressure, hot water and was so luxurious! I miss it :-( The other great thing about the villas was the backyard. You get lounge chairs, 2 little seating area under a trellis and a nice size little pool. I've been to other resorts where you get a plunge pool, but this was far bigger and more like a small pool than a plunge pool. I loved my pool.

A few other things to note: They give you a golf cart to shuttle yourself around the resort which was fun and different. And if you and your partner need to be in different places at the same time, they will have someone shuttle you separately if needed. The main pool was really never used, I guess people favored the beach or their own pools, as we did. The nice thing about the beach is that we never had trouble finding a chair. It was NOT one of those places where you have to get up at 5am to claim a chair. We would go down at 11am and have no problem. I also found it interesting that there were a lot of non-americans there -- a lot of Russians and South Americans. The Americans we did meet (3 couples) were all from the NY area.

Overall, I would go back and recommend it to others. And boy do I miss that outdoor shower!!!!

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Madis0nNY
Daniele T, Director of Sales at Eden Roc at Cap Cana, responded to this reviewResponded 18 February 2014

Dear Madis0nNY ,

Congratulations and thank you for choosing The Eden Roc at Cap Cana to celebrate your baby moon. It is very nice to read that our staff went above and beyond for your stay. We are delighted these will prove to be lasting memories for you. (including the outside shower :) )

Kind regards,

Reviewed 3 February 2014

Amazing Hotel. Me and my 2 teenagers children loved it!
Service, environment, beach, food. Everyone makes you feel at home. Everything was top quality.
I really recommend it
kind regards
Silvia Bruttini
London

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family

Dear Silvia,

Your kind review of The Eden Roc at Cap Cana is very much appreciated. Thank you for choosing to visit our oasis in Paradise with your family. We hope to see you again soon.

Kind Regards,

Reviewed 21 January 2014

Just returned from a long weekend getaway at this small Relais & Chateaux located in Cap Cana...The Eden Roc is a superb hotel with amazing suites and great potential to take the crown of best luxury hotel of the Dominican. We have visited the country several time, and have stayed mostly in top All Inclusive resorts, but will definitely come back to Eden Roc!

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank LucasM23

Dear Mr. LucasM23,

Thank you for taking the time to share feedback from your recent stay. I hope to have the privilege of welcoming you back to The Eden Roc at Cap Cana in the not distant future.

Reviewed 14 January 2014

This hotel is lovely. Really. The villas are beautiful and large, bathrooms are luxurious, and most important, the infinity pool and lounge area at the villa is wonderful and so comfortable. Our private golf cart brought us to the most private, stunning beach we have seen in awhile, and we have visited many Caribbean islands. As for the restaurants, breakfast is included in your room rate and it is delicious and expansive. You may pick the buffet of fresh fruit, juices and pasties/breads, gourmet cheese and meats or order eggs and French bread. All included. The restaurant at the beach club, La Palapa, is equally good. Fresh tuna daily along with baby lobster served many ways. Service is good, especially if Marie from Barcelona is helping you.

Eden Roc goes out of their way to make you happy. This is truly a first rate resort.

Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank 4Kanes

Dear 4Kanes,

Your kind review of your recent stay on TripAdvisor was very humbling. It is comments such as yours that help us to strive to provide superior service to our valued guests.
We very much appreciate your patronage and look forward to welcoming you back again.

Kind Regards,

Reviewed 13 January 2014

Stayed in this hotel from Dec 28th 2013 until January 5th. We had the most wonderful experience, he room was exceptional probably the best I had ever stayed in. The attention to detail was extraordinary. We had a family suite and the amount of space considering we had our 2 boys (age 12 and 10) was huge. The private pool and terrace to finish off the day made the stay even more enjoyable. The beach club was perfect, the attention and service top class. If you like golf, you have one of the most stunning golf courses in the world, Punta Espada, 3 minutes away from your room. We had an unforgettable vacation here, highly recommend this Hotel

Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank Alex M

Dear Alex M,

It is always a delight to read from an obviously frequent and loyal guest. Thank you for your kind review .

Reviewed 8 January 2014

Compared to other luxury resorts we have visited in the Caribbean, Eden Roc stands out in a number of ways. Overall, it is a beautifully designed, chic, and meticulously manicured resort with first-rate staff, with a focus on gastronomic-level world class food, on par with finer hotels in Europe. It has a very calm, quiet, exclusive, and comfortable feel throughout.

The staff is generally very professional, attentive, and accommodating. The hotel arranges for pickup at the airport, and it's a 12 minute drive to Eden Roc. Maitre de Maison Paolo Sanavia personally greeted us on arrival, along with concierge, reception, and other staff. Over our stay, he frequently approached us to see whether there was any detail he and the staff could attend to, and was very friendly and personable. The maitre d'hotel at the restaurant Mediterraneo was excellent, and quickly took care of any issues we could point out; the other restaurant staff also were first rate; some rotate through from other Relais&Chateaux properties around the world. Likewise the GM, maitre d' and other staff at la Palapa were immensely friendly, knowledgeable, and very capable. Throughout our stay, we felt like a very large, hospitable staff was at the ready to attend to our every need.

The hotel design is beautiful, as the pictures on this website can attest, but what they show only scratches the surface. It appears nearly every detail was thought through. The rooms are bright and expansive. Our room always smelled gorgeous (Laura Tonnato scents, designed exclusively for Eden Roc). The colors are all relaxing, rich, and complement each other beautifully - I was mesmerized by how the color of the lamps tied in with the deep purple details througout, and most surfaces are a clean, bright alabaster-like travertine marble. The dark cedar walk in closets make it like a home-away-from-home, the custom-made whirlpool tub is enormous, the indoor shower has a rain showerhead and a handheld, the outdoor shower is well designed, also with hansgrohe fixtures, there are Rivolta Carmignani sheets on the beds and R&C towels, the closet includes a shoehorn. Each room is a standalone villa, with its own infinity pool out back, with plants and landscaping to shield from the neighbors, and a sitting cabana; half the rooms face a central lagoon, while half are along the edge of the property, facing a collection of short trees and bushes leading to a creek. Each villa has a carport and a golf cart. There is an integrated system to control the lights, TV, and soundsystem drawing from our own iPhone with speakers in each room and outside at the pool, controlled by an iPad in the room that also provides internet service. The property was built in mid 2012, and still seems new. The resort feels like a quaint little Truman-Show-esque town, and each room is a short walk along little cobblestoned "streets" to the lobby, restaurant, and bar. The bar is another design standout - it was brilliantly designed to evoke Riva boats, using the same colors and materials. It is sleek and sexy. The mixologists that made our drinks were capable, on par with the best of any major city in the world.

The food is very good by Caribbean resort standards. Gianluca, the executive chef, oversees the food throughout the resort, and is brilliant. The menus have largely Italian-focused fare, but Gianluca clearly works hard to source excellent ingredients available locally as well as availing the restaurants of first-rate ingredients from world ports. Pasta dishes I had I felt were on par with some of the best Italian restaurants in my home city of Washington DC, such as Casa Luca, Tosca, or Posto, and the seafood was all exquisite, for example the langoustine fajitas. The sushi is without a doubt worth noting. La Palapa stole away one of the best sushi chefs on the island from Santo Domingo. The preparations are inspired, creative, and delicious. The breakfast is up to the Relais&Chateaux standard - delicious, generous, a lot of variety. Overall, the prices at Eden Roc's restaurants are not any lower than at other Caribbean luxury resorts, but the food generally is much better.

The beach is pleasant. The sand is very fine, nearly like a powder. The surf is "active," with nice-sized breaking waves; it's not a still, clear, calm beach like on the north side of St. John USVI, for example, more like the surfy-waves of Virgin Gorda. The beach furniture and umbrellas are excellent and well maintained. The staff is very friendly and attentive (kudos for having umbrellas on hand when a rain came, for example) and provided fresh towels on demand. The beach is a little over half a mile from the villas (one could walk, but we generally used the golf cart); the beach is part of the Caleton Beach Club (caletonbeachclub.com) which I believe is maintained by Eden Roc. It's a very exclusive club that caters mostly to Eden Roc, but also a few dozen private houses around the golf course (very upscale vacation homes - most of the residents are not there most of the time, so presumably don't feed much to the beach club). The exclusivity of Eden Roc and Caleton ensures the beach is not crowded. The only distractions are that the club does accommodate private events, but they were sparse during our stay; during our 5 days there, 2 of the days had a parade of eastern european weddings, one after another, for a few hours a day, on the point on the other side of la Palapa restaurant, some with photoshoots on the beach afterwards - they were cute and romantic, but cheesy; we also were at the beach at the same time as fellow reviewer "gablegirl" and found the Russian trio a distraction.

There is little we can criticize about Eden Roc. The only issues we had were that our A/C broke on day 2; we kept bringing it up to a number of people on the staff, from Paolo to the front desk staff, but it never got fixed. The retraction mechanism on the charging cord for the gold cart also was broken from day one, and we brought this up many times, and several times were told it would be fixed, but the most anyone did was shove the cord back in the hole - it was stuck out as soon as it was used again - no big deal, I just wrapped it around the rack in the back, but it seemed to me like the ratio of possible solutions to those tried was high. In the end, these two issues were triflingly minor (the A/C perhaps wouldn't have been during a warmer season) and detracted little from our immensely wonderful and relaxing stay.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank douglasrathbun

Dear Dbartramr ,

Thank you for providing your detailed review on TripAdvisor. We are delighted that you enjoyed staying at our hotel . We hope there will be another occasion for you to visit our esteemed property.

Reviewed 6 January 2014

Not only is Cap Cana an extraordinarily naturally beautiful spot, but the resort itself is well designed and exceptionally well maintained. It is very quiet (at times perhaps a touch too quiet), the food is superb and the service staff is very well trained. Everyone we met at the resort was so committed to making us feel welcome and taken care of. Each staff member clearly strives for excellence and it shows. To put it in perspective, the 4 Seasons in Geneva is my favourite and this hotel is the island version of an understated luxury hotel that's family-friendly (just keep the kids out of the mini-bar - everything in there is a small fortune). If that's your kind of resort, this is the perfect place for you. We wiill certainly come back.

Room Tip: Ask for a lagoon facing pool if possible. The evening view is so beautiful