“Punta Cana Paradise”

GreenLeadersGold level
Connecticut
“Punta Cana Paradise”
Reviewed 6 March 2014

As a platinum SPG member, I was real excited to hear about this new hotel opening up in Punta Cana, and even more excited when I was able to book a four night stay for my family using my points. We set our expectations accordingly understanding that this was a brand new property and there were sure to be a few learning curve issues with service delivery.

Our stay was excellent! We were upgraded to a king room ground floor pool front at check in which was great especially if you have kids. Our luggage was swept away at check in by Yalencio who organized our bags in a huge dressing room area that was in the room. I requested a roll away for the kids and at first it appeared that there were not any left, but one of the pursers Abel Mejia saved the day and delivered. Abel and his team came in like a swat team and moved furniture and provided fresh linens for the roll aways. Mailynn at the front desk was excellent and very attentive. Katherine at the lobby bar was also fantastic, she made some great drinks. One of the Mgrs Francis was also floating around and very attentive making sure our needs were always being met. The Brassas restaurant was decent. Jonathan was one of our favorite servicers. The cigar bar is a very nice place with both indoor and outdoor seating. The resort has a very family friendly atmosphere. Our family felt very safe on the grounds. The housekeeper was great (Ersita) she provided plenty of bottled waters in the room every day. As far as additional activities, there is an hourly shuttle that takes you into Punta Cana Village were there are some additional restaurant choices, a supermarket, pharmacy, and a few shops. We also booked a day tour to the capital Santo Domingo through Gray Line Tours. The tour was great mainly due to our entertaining guide named Monchy. It was great to tour the colonial city and see some very historic sites.

One thing that was a little disturbing was the attitude of some of the guests staying at the resort during our time there. I can understand getting upset while traveling on business when things don't go according to plan (Been there done that), but if your on vacation relax a bit and be respectful of the people that are trying to do their best. The resort employees work their butts off and want to do everything they can to please the guests. Keep your rude manners back in the US and don't ruin it for everyone. Understand that the one thing you can always control is being polite and controlling your attitude. Enjoy the moment and the paradise that Punta Cana is.

We will definitely return to this property!

Room Tip: Ground level pool side
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
6 Thank Brunet5301
Alberto A, Executive Director of Hospitality at The Westin Puntacana Resort & Club, responded to this review, 12 March 2014
Dear Brunet5301:

We are glad that you enjoyed our new The Westin Puntacana Resort & Club and that you also enjoyed the amenities of Puntacana Resort & Club and our Puntacana Village.

Thank you for taking the time to review the hotel and to give us such glowing comments, we especially thank you for singling out so many of our wonderful staff, a copy of your review will go in their HR file.

We are happy to hear that you will return, we hope that it is soon!

Have a great week!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (280)
  • Polish first
BOSTON
Reviewed 3 March 2014

All in all we just returned from a very nice time at the Westin. 1st the pros....The waitstaff and bartenders are very friendly, seeming to bend over backwards to make you feel welcomed. Everything is new so the resort is clean and nothing is worn out or tired. The bed was very comfortable, towels are nice and very soft robes. The rooms were nice size and all seem to have the same view of the pool and a slight turn of the head to see the water. The shoreline is beautiful, and the beach sand is nice. The color of the water is outstanding and pretty shallow. The food was better than expected, a nice breakfast buffet. The bar is open 24 hours. the resort is 5 minutes from the airport. In addition there are shuttles into town(if you can call it that) and to other restaurants within the property.
Now for the cons.... The property just opened in december and still has a few growing pains. including still doing some projects that result in banging and drilling. They were working on the wedding pavilion on the beach, which was disturbing and took away from the serenity. They were digging trenches which while wasnt particularly noisy, was just an eyesore and an nuisance. You can only get beach towels with a card that they give you at check in. That feels very strange and maybe something you would find at a low quality resort, besides being a nuisance if you forget them in your room or misplace it. Are people really taking advantage of the beach towels???? While the staff is mostly great, some were having difficulty with understanding english, this can be frustrating at the concierge of restaurant or even reception. We did have a few issues and wondered whether they just didn't understand our requests. We gave them the benefit of the doubt. Perhaps the our greatest dismay was that they ran out of chardonnay on our 2nd day. They did finally get some more after a couple of days, but it just seems unbelievable that at a resort of this quality, they wouldn't have chardonnay, its not such a strange request. I think they could also benefit from having a deeper wine selection. Last, we paid to upgrade to a room with ocean view, most of the rooms have a similar view of the pool and if you turn your head just a bit you will see the water. When i asked the reception what we were getting for the extra $30 night upgrade he told us a premium room has a door rather than a shower curtain on the bathroom. 1st of all, this is so strange, you need to pay more to get a bathroom door???? and 2nd, we didn't actually even have that so we never actually found out why we were paying more and they seemed unable to help us make the correction at the hotel.
All in all, we had a nice trip, i wont go into the flight issues, and as long as the keep the prices reasonable, The Westin in Punta Cana is a nice high 3 or low 4 star experience.

Room Tip: ask for ground floor and closer to water for easy access to beach and room, also ask for a room with...
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank JKSKM
Alberto A, Executive Director of Hospitality at The Westin Puntacana Resort & Club, responded to this review, 5 March 2014
Dear JKSKM:

Thank you for taking the time to review our new The Westin Puntacana Resort & Club!

We are glad that you thought the staff was friendly, that you liked your room, the views, the beach and the food among other things.

Your feedback on the towel control is being analyzed.

We apologize about the incident with the wine, there is no excuse for this, all I can say is that I am sorry this happened and that we are making sure it does not happen again.

In regards to the upgrade and the erroneous explanation you were given we did a re-training with the staff and the explanation is simple, it’s a bigger room and it is better located, it has nothing to do with the bathroom door, which coincidentally we have started installing in all the rooms and this work will be finalized in the next few weeks.

We also apologize that you were inconvenienced by some work being done while you are here, as a new hotel, some things do come up which we have to address immediately and we try to avoid inconveniencing guests as much as possible.

Again, thank you for your feedback and hopefully you will give us another chance in the future as we strive to be a great option for people to come vacation in the Caribbean.

Have a great day!
Miami, Florida
Reviewed 2 March 2014

We have just arrived back from a 5 day stay at the Westin Puntacana. We worked with the group department to arrange for a golf package and we were originally supposed to stay at Tortuga Bay (Oscar de la Renta's boutique hotel that is a leading hotel of the world). There was a mix up in our reservation and we had no choice but the Westin. Needless to say, I had very low expectations going into the trip with the original confusion in hotel. After my 5 day stay, I can't wait to go back.

I use TA for reviewing all properties before I stay and I have to admit, I was a little nervous with the bad reviews. #1- if you are an experienced traveler going to the Caribbean, you know that service is going to be slow. (Bring a book and take a deep breath.) #2- the staff is excellent. I am always shocked, arriving to Spanish speaking tourist friendly destinations, with the amount of English widely spoken. We have far less English spoken in Miami, Florida. #3- I had a room on the 4th floor and my wifi was variable, but mostly worked whenever I needed it.

Upon arrival to PUJ, they greeted us with the VIP airport service. This is a must! They whiz you through security and customs to be on your way quickly. We were able to play 9 holes after arriving with enough daylight to spare. Check-in, was a little slow, but again you're in the Caribbean what do you expect.

The rooms were amazing. There is a defined entry way where it is convenient to keep golf club travel bags. To the left of the entry is a closet that I would like to re-create in my home. I believe it was built to make travelers feel so comfortable they wouldn't want to go home. They even thought of the small details- such as a full length mirror in the closet and the safe, actually built into the wooden closet. (This always makes me feel comfortable with leaving my valuables locked up.) On the other side of the entry way is the large bedroom and bathroom. My two favorite parts of a Westin- the heavenly bed and the blackout shades!

As for the food, we had a Golf Package that included unlimited food and drink anywhere on property and boy was it worth it. Our group had a wonderful time. They ate and drank until they were blue in the face. The Brassa Grill had a fanstastic dinner arranged for our reservation. They gave us the option of family style, which would give us multiple appetizers and main entrees to try. It turned out to be fantastic. Playa Blanca was a nice dinner option, but opt to walk rather than take the shuttle- it is only 5 minutes, but bring your phone flashlight to watch for the ropes on the beach. Our favorite lunch was at the La Cana clubhouse, sitting next to the pool and overlooking the beach. My favorite was the shrimp egg rolls. The last night of our trip we went to Bamboo, the restaurant at Tortuga Bay. It is a romantic, gourmet option.

The golf is spectacular in Punta Cana. Corales might be in the best shape of any course I've ever played. (Disclosure- I'm a golf professional) And Punta Espada is breath taking. My only issue with golf in Punta Cana- I'm too intrigued to take pictures that I sometimes forget to take time with my golf shots.

If you've never been to the Dominican Republic for golf- I would highly suggest staying at the Westin or Tortuga Bay and playing Corales, La Cana and going to Cap Cana for Punta Espada. What a trip! Can't wait to return! Thank you exceeding all of our expectations.

Room Tip: 4th floor rooms had good wifi.
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
3 Thank Ohiggeau
Dear Ohiggeau:

We are so happy that your golf group had a great time at our new The Westin Puntacana Resort & Club!

We are sorry about the initial confusion with your reservation, that your Wi-Fi was not perfect 100% of the time and that you found the check-in slow.

I am investigating in regards to your reservation, as I was not aware that there had been a mix up.

We have been working on improving the Wi-Fi and we had not received any negative comments lately, but obviously you had a problem, and it was recent so we have to take a look at it.

In regards to the check-in, you are right, we still have to do a better job of checking in groups that come together, I assure you that we will continue to improve in this area.

We are glad that you had such a positive experience in Puntacana Resort & Club and we thank you for giving us such a high review and for giving us such positive feedback in areas like your room, Food and Beverage and golf.

We have gotten very good reviews overall on our room product and we have been working hard on our Food and Beverage operation so we are very happy that you had a very good experience in this regard.

Most important for us are your comments about our golf courses and golf operation. Golf is obviously a very important part Puntacana Resort & Club and we are counting with many groups such as yours to come enjoy this experience and we thank you because your review will be very helpful to the decision makers coordinating these groups.

Again, thank you for your time, we hope to have you back soon and have a great week!
Chapel Hill, North Carolina
Reviewed 2 March 2014

In November, My wife and I had decided to travel to a new (to us) island retreat for a week or so in January, to compare and contrast other destinations to our favorite in the Virgin Islands. We have done this before (thats how you find the real gems...at least for your tastes). As a Lifetime Starwood Platinum guest, I have enjoyed the opportunity of traveling around the world, enjoying some of the most beautiful Starwood or, for that matter, any properties imaginable.

Noteably...as we started our search, we came upon the Westin Puna Cana...a brand new addition to Starwood and one that represents a significant corporate movement forward in terms of Starwood future development in this region of the world. So far so good...but...while conducting our due diligence on this very new property, we began to read of negative stories about the physical building problems, the lack of skill and professionalism of the staff and the failure of some of the basic necessities such as internet and cable TV.

These items and much more were widely published on this TRIP ADVISOR Forum. Because the Westin Puna Cana had just opened three weeks previously, we were very concerned as we had only negative comments to deal with.
My philosophy has always been the direct approach affords the best opportunity for reviewing each of the issues to determine the facts...I know, some would say that when you talk to the Devil in Hell, you can expect to be told lies...well don't tell that to Cesar or Yarik...or, especially, Lorena...these professionals re-wrote the book on hospitality...if Starwood doesn't yet know how lucky they are to have found these ambassadors of excellence...doubtless, they will and very soon! After a most engaging conversation with each of these individuals, my wife and I decided that Westin Puna Cana would be our destination...for our thirty-fifth Anniversary and it was the absolute best travel decision we have ever made!

It is said that when you are told of failings...even if you don't want to believe them...human nature is that you find yourself looking for them, nevertheless...and to the extent that we are seasoned travelers with some relative expectation of levels of amineties and comforts, we, too, found ourselves at least, prepared, for the possibility of validation of the negative reviews we had read.

All who read this, in search of a small slice of Paradise, privacy, peace and quiet and whatever else you are looking for...whether it is for a weekend getaway or as long as you can make your vacation stretch...I will tell you that you will be treated as royality by Carla and William at the fabulous Breakfast Buffet, they never missed a professional or personal beat...and then there was Jesus and Franklin...under the truly capable leadership of Manuel and of course, Argimiro, who would entertain you with their "Speciality" concoctions at poolside or on the Beach!

There are many more standouts that conducted themselves in their routine, highly professional manner, making our stay one for the archieves... I love photography and captured phenominal shots ranging from early morning sunrises, and the beautiful 100 shades of blue beach front water to fabulous evening skys filled with magenta framed sunsets and the perfectly illuminated pool and reception area beyond...I captured over 700 frames of beauty in and around this magical best kept secret...if you are a photographer, then you know that speaks volumes for the beauty that is Westin Puna Cana.

I will return to this slice of heaven at my next opportunity...with the airport only five minutes away...you get off the plane and fifteen minutes later...one of those concoctions is in your hands, in the most beautiful location, attended by the most professional individuals who take great pride in what they do...

Westin, Puna Cana...experience the other (Wonderful) side of the story...!

WF Knight

Room Tip: This Westin Puna Cana Property rooms all had ocean views...but honestly, the property is so beautifu...
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
5 Thank BillK919
Alberto A, Executive Director of Hospitality at The Westin Puntacana Resort & Club, responded to this review, 6 March 2014
Dear BillK919:

Thank you for giving us such a glowing review of our new The Westin Puntacana Resort & Club!

We are so happy that we were able to change your perception from the reviews of the beginning days of our hotel. We are glad you enjoyed your stay, the hotel and that you have such positive comments to say about our executives and staff.

Your comments about the great photography you took have actually given me the idea that we should be marketing to people who are serious photographers like yourself, thank you for putting that seed in my head.

Hopefully, we will have you many times back at our hotel and to Puntacana Resort & Club!

New York
Reviewed 2 March 2014

Just returned from a 7 day stay at the Westin. Used points for the full stay.
Airport transfer was seamless.
Upon arrival at the hotel, the lobby is smallish, but very nice. View is amazing, looking out to the pool & the sea, palm trees etc. Check in, as noted, was not speedy...they tried to give me a room right next to the Cigar Bar, which does not work for me since i've got both a 1 & 4 yr old...duh.
They did then give me a room closer to the sea (away from the cigar bar) which was on the ground floor as i requested. I like the extra grass area for my kids to play at. Plus makes it easier to get to/from pool/beach & room if you've forgotten something.
Our room was very nice & clean looking. Heavenly beds you'd expect from Westin were comfy. Very nice shower too. Enough closet/drawer space for my wife, 2 kids & I not to feel cramped.

Some good & some bad here, so I'll give the hotel an "average rating" right now. I know its only been open a few months, so there are some things I know they can improve on.
First the great....rooms beach, weather, politeness of staff, proximity/convenience to airport.

I know Westin resorts in general to be family friendly....this one has a way to go. They have a nice kids club, but they make you drop your kids off & pay the hourly rate. I would much rather see this as a space where parents take their kids & can play with them if they want, free of charge. Not once in my 7 days did i see kids there with the staff. I'm not sure if I chalk this up to a blunder on Westin's part or an attempt to nickel and dime guests.
Also, there is a nice playground area right next to the kids club, but its in the hottest section of the resort w/ no breeze. During the afternoon the swings, slides etc get baked in the sun and were too hot for my kids to enjoy. Westin, put a tarp or some awning up to shade them like you have in your restaurants. Again, never once saw any kids playing on the playground during the afternoon.
They did not have any outdoor kids activities either...or at least none I was made aware of. There were many families here & it would've been a good idea to offer something. Beach/pool toys were lacking.

The hotel employs a towel card system. You're given X amt of cards at check in & you must use them to get towels for pool/beach. when you return the towels, you get your cards back. I'm not sure if this is to let them employ less pool/beach employees or what. If you don't return all the towel cards at check out they will charge you extra. Not sure how much. Feels silly when staying at a nice resort.

Regarding food, it was pretty good. Very American as noted in prior reviews. We mostly did breakfast/lunch at hotel & went off property for dinner. 1 night we did dinner at Westin & had horrible service, cold food etc. They were gracious enough to wipe the cost off our bill.
They have the in-room coffee makers w/ local coffee, which was good....just wish they had a coffee service in the lobby til 10am or so.
You cannot drink the tap water down there, so you must get bottled water. I believe they provide you w 1-2 per day in your room, but at meal time we would order Alaska (local bottled water) as it was much less than the Panna or other options.
I don't believe the hot tub was working the entire time I was there. My 4 year old laughingly called it the "cold tub". I'm sure in time they'll get it working, but come on guys....that's gotta work.
Pools were big & nice. Pools are not heated though. My daughter did cut her toe a bit on it as someone else mentioned prior. The deck is extremely slippery. There should be more grooves as its a completely flat surface. Kids & adults at property were slipping. They had caution signs out, but this is a big design flaw.
There was some construction on the deck above the lobby while we were there. Not loud noise. Kids enjoyed playing with the red "Peligro" tape.
We used the shuttle service to town, La Yola etc. It was on time & efficient. La Yola was great. Bamboo at Tortuga Bay hotel was great too along w/ Mama Luisa in town.

If you're a tennis player, they opened a new facility, Hacienda, midway thru our visit. Its very nice. 6 clay courts. Nice staff, ball boys. Older kids, who are good, to hit with. They're also putting a gym next to the pro shop. Thankfully so, the old facility was run down. Didn't have tennis balls when my friend & I went to play. When we looked puzzled, a ball boy took 3 balls out of the garbage told me it would cost $5. I laughed in his face and then he let me use them for free.

Didn't play golf, but there were a ton of golfers staying there. They said the golf was just amazing. Seemed like great courses.

All in all, the place is sitting on great real estate, just needs to get their ducks in a row on some of the aforementioned issues.
Had a fun week, but I'll probably try a different SPG resort next year.

Room Tip: i took a ground floor room since i have 2 young kids. there is grass right in front of the patio so...
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank DCTraveling
Dear DCTravelling:

We are thankful that you wrote such an extensive review on our new The Westin Puntacana Resort & Club! Your feedback has been very beneficial to us and will help future guests coming to the resort.

We apologize for some of the problems you had such as the problem with the room assignment and the dinner that was not to your liking in the hotel.

Your comments about issues like the Kids Club, towel controls; pool floor and others are very helpful. We will look at each one and evaluate.

In regards to the temperature in the Jacuzzi this is being resolved this week.

We are glad that you found so many things in the resort positive, like the transfer system, location, the food, the staff, the location of your second room, the new tennis center, etc.

As you mention, we are a new hotel and are working hard to improve every day and we hope that you will come back in the near future so that you can tell us how you see our improvements.

Again, thank you for your thorough review and have a great week!
Alexandria, Virginia
Reviewed 2 March 2014 via mobile

Perfect place for a quite get a away. The staff was Friendly and it was perfect for families. Food outlet were good and priced right. Able to use the shuttle to venture away to the local mall area. I highly recommend the hike through the ecological preserve. I look forward to going back again.

Stayed January 2014
Dear Peter Y:

We are happy that you found our resort to be perfect for families and that you enjoyed Puntacana Resort & Club, where the ecological lagoons you mention are located, and our Puntacana Village.

Thank you for taking the time to review The Westin Puntacana Resort & Club and we hope to see you back soon!
Greenwich, Connecticut
Reviewed 28 February 2014

We visited Westin in January. The property is amazing. Airy, light, still very new but just perfect. When we arrived our room was not ready yet so we went for lunch to Tiki Bar on the beach. We booked suite and they gave us handicapped accessible. That by itself was fine but the location of the room was not good. We were above the Cigar bar so we could hear and smell everything till late night and at night someone was moving chairs above us or next to us. As the rooms have marble floor it was quite loud. We called the front desk and they said it is housekeeping in the middle of the night (?!). It was happening 3 nights in a row and the story was different every night. Other than that the property is really beautiful and all employees were really nice and pleasant. I would not hesitate a second to go back to this paradise.

Room Tip: Ask for a room or suite not above the Cigar bar
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank LZK007
Alberto A, Executive Director of Hospitality at The Westin Puntacana Resort & Club, responded to this review, 3 March 2014
Dear LZK007:

We thank you for reviewing our new The Westin Puntacana Resort & Club!

We are glad you enjoyed the property.

We apologize about the fact that you were not happy with the location of the room and about the noise problem that you confronted and especially the way the Front Desk handled your complaint. We have already looked into this to make sure to handle better in the future.

We are happy that you enjoyed “our paradise” and that you say that you would come back, hopefully you will come back soon!