“Relax at a beautiful new hotel”

The Westin Puntacana Resort & Club
Ranked #41 of 112 Hotels in Punta Cana
GreenLeadersGold level
Lincoln, Nebraska
“Relax at a beautiful new hotel”
Reviewed 20 March 2014

Excellent location, minutes from airport. Beautiful lobby, pools, indoor outdoor dining options right on the beach. The staff was very friendly and helpful. Excellent in every way. A great place for kids. No tennis...but it appears to be in the works.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank 68Z28
Alberto A, Executive Director of Hospitality at The Westin Puntacana Resort & Club, responded to this review, 26 March 2014
Dear 68Z28:

We are glad you liked our new The Westin Puntacana Resort & Club so much!

Thank you for taking the time to review the hotel.

We are glad you enjoyed the location, the hotel and the restaurants and that you found it to be excellent.

In regards to the tennis courts, we have a new tennis center at Hacienda del Mar with 6 courts and we are building two more, you must have been here when we were transitioning from the old tennis courts to the new ones, next time you come you will be able to enjoy the new courts!

Have a great week!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (281)
  • Polish first
Arlington, Virginia
Reviewed 20 March 2014 via mobile

I just returned from a four night stay at the Westin Punta Cana (I'm a Gold SPG member using cash and points). I was expecting more from a full service Westin.

Check-in was pleasant. Carlos checked me in and he was by far the most helpful and friendliest of all the staff there. I got to my room which was on the 4th floor almost to the end. The keys were not working when I got to the door so I called the front desk. A lady answered and informed me I would have to come back to the front desk. I explained to her they would need to bring me the keys as I was not making the hike back to the lobby with my suitcase in tow. By this point, two housekeepers were hovering around me in the hallway while I waited. One told me to come with her while the other offered to watch my stuff. I was not about to leave my suitcase and bags there with a stranger. A room service person eventually came by and let me in the room. A few minutes later a porter showed up with working keys.

I went down to the lobby bar for dinner. The two behind the bar were not friendly at first but eventually warmed up after about 1.5 hours. When I returned to my room at 8:30ish my keys once again did not work. I returned to the lobby to have them reset my keys. Back to the room and the keys still don't work. Back to the lobby, then back to the room...still don't work. Back to the lobby again and the keys still don't work. I called the front desk from my cell to ask that they bring me keys this time as I had already been to the front desk THREE times which is outrageous. The young gentleman who had let me in earlier that day happened to be walking by with a drink delivery so he tried his key which was not working either. I waited a few more minutes and Carlos from the front desk arrived to try his key. His was not working either. Ok, so the electronic key lock was broken on my door so I was asked to wait in the lobby bar while maintenance fixed it. I sat at the lobby bar for over 2 hours while I waited to get into my room. I had a couple glasses of wine as I was told it was happy hour 1/2 price at the time. Hours later when my door was fixed I asked for the check. Not only did I not get the happy hour prices but they overcharged me by a drink. If that was not insulting enough I should have, at the very least, been comped those drinks while I was waiting to get into my room given that it was the hotel's fault I wasn't in my room. This is where the hotel lacks a ton customer service.

On my second morning I was awoken at 6:30am by knocking on my door. It was room service delivering breakfast to the wrong room! How frustrating to be woken so early and the delivery person didn't quite understand that I didn't order anything. I ate lunch at the Barassa Grill by the pool/beach and the service there was good. Nathaniel took my order and constantly checked on me as I waited for my food. The constant breeze thru the pool/beach restaurant is quite nice and makes for a nice reprieve from the sun.

Check out was relatively easy except that Lowis didn't seem to have my transfer back to the airport in his computer despite having set it up with Carlos on the first day. He told me to just go stand over by the entrance and someone would take me. I walked over to the entrance and no one was really helping me so I finally asked where my ride to the airport was. A gentleman asked if I had a reservation....umm, yes. He arranged for a car to come get me. This whole process seemed very unorganized.

The hotel itself is very plain which is just a personal preference. The room walls were bare so they could use a few wall hangings. The lobby was nice and wide open so you can see the pool while checking in. I find it odd that the bathrooms do not have tubs and only stand-up showers and that the mini bar and closet are part of the bathroom. I agree with other reviewers that the sound proofing is bad. You can hear doors slamming all day and night and you can also hear when a neighbor moves a piece of furniture. I will mention though that I could not hear TVs or music from neighbors. The pool is large and nice but lacks any natural shade (again, that's a personal preference). The beach was gorgeous as other travelers mentioned and there is a nice covered dock that jets out from the beach which provides a few lounge chairs and a nice shady retreat.

Overall, they are definitely working out quite a few kinks which may take several months to sort out. I'm especially disappointed in being locked out of my room for several hours without so much as a comped glass of wine (I guess I should keep in mind I'm not in the US)! Punta Cana itself though, as far as beaches go, is by far one of the most beautiful, tranquil places I have been in the 46 countries I have traveled to.

Stayed March 2014, travelled solo
4 Thank Jamie A
Dear Jamie Austin C:

We are very sorry that you had such a disappointing stay in our hotel; we expect to perform much better than we have during your stay.

Although you did find some positive things in the hotel, the amount of mistakes and opportunity misses to deliver great service to you is concerning to us.

There is nothing more that I can say than we are sorry and that I will be looking into your comments and we will be contacting you directly.

Have a great day
Redding, Connecticut
Reviewed 18 March 2014

All of the rooms seem to have a balcony that not only overlooks the pools, but has a view of the ocean. The staff is very friendly and accomodating. There were definitely enough chairs around the pool and on the beach for everyone.

Give this place a try and if you're adventurous and have a car, try some restaurants off of the property.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank DonnaF14
Alberto A, Executive Director of Hospitality at The Westin Puntacana Resort & Club, responded to this review, 27 March 2014
Dear DonnaF14:

We are glad that you enjoyed our new The Westin Puntacana Resort & Club so much!

We appreciate you taking the time to review our hotel.

We are glad that you liked the views, enjoyed the availability of beach chairs and found our staff so accommodating.

We hope to have you back soon!

Reviewed 12 March 2014

Without exception, the staff is warm, helpful and friendly. Having stayed at other Westin Resorts, this is much smaller and lower key than others, so it all about expectations. We wanted a small quiet place, but discovered that our family may be better suited to a larger resort with availability of more activities for the ages of my kids (8 & 10)

There are some families here, but not so abundant as to see a bunch of kids discover each other and create their own fun. Additionally, I don't want to give the impression it is without activities. They have table tennis and a small soccer and volleyball section. You can hire scuba and snorkeling guides. There are paddle boards and kite surfing rentals too. Some seasoned guests brought floaties for the pool. Though a bit shocking, it does feel ecologically good that they limit your access to beach towels. They give you a card for one towel per person and you must not lose track of your towel or misplace your towel card, as it is critical.

The village in the resort is not so much a village as a row of restaurants and a few stores serving the guests of a few hotels in the resort group. Highly missable, except there is a supermarket where you can stock up on water, snacks and affordable sunscreen in case you left any behind. ($35 in Westin gift-shop)

The room (a junior suite with a beach front view) is beautiful.

In all, the resort is ideal for families wanting time with each other surrounded by sun, a beautiful beach and very warm and friendly staff.

Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank Jwieder
Alberto A, Executive Director of Hospitality at The Westin Puntacana Resort & Club, responded to this review, 14 March 2014
Dear Jwieder:

Thank you for reviewing our new The Westin Puntacana Resort & Club!

We are glad that you enjoyed the hotel and found it to be a great place for families, which we are counting will be one of our strong suits.

We are happy that you enjoyed your room, our great beach and our wonderful staff.

In regards to the sunscreen prices, we are checking on this, thank you for letting us know.

We hope to have you back in our beautiful resort!

Rochester, Minnesota
Reviewed 11 March 2014

We recently spent 4 days on our honeymoon at the Westin and found the front desk to be extremely disorganized. We were told we would have an ocean view and we were put on the first floor in the back of the hotel so we could only see the pool. They told us the next day they would get us a better room. After going to the front desk 5 times and spending 1/2 of our day they moved us up to a higher floor. They sent a bellman and after 45 minutes we moved all of our luggage and things our self. Similar experience upon check out....

Room Tip: Best rooms are on the 3rd floor
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear Lisalove22:

We are very sorry that you did not have a good experience at our Front Desk during your check in our check out. Thank you for telling us about it.

We were very concerned about your comments and investigated your particular case and we certainly failed in many instances, especially in that we did not recognize the problem while you were here and remedied it with you.

Hopefully, you will give us another chance, and if you do I would like for you to contact me directly once you have made your reservation so that we can make up for this past inconvenience in a possible future stay in our hotel.

Kite beach Cabarete Dominican Republic
Reviewed 10 March 2014

I live on the North Shore of the Dominican Republic, I heard a lot about Punta Cana, mostly negative, but after visiting the Westin, I was truely impressed. I think the fact that it is not an "all inclusive" was an advantage, one meal was included and that was about right. The rooms were fresh with a super usable layout, the staff was excellent, the breakfast was perfect, the Nature Park was extremely impressive and something not to be missed. Golf was a blast, the beach and ocean were really nice, the only thing is that the websites I looked at did not seem to mention all that there is to do there, which is a shame because there is a lot to do if you are active...sure would like to return...

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
Alberto A, Executive Director of Hospitality at The Westin Puntacana Resort & Club, responded to this review, 15 March 2014
Dear MethodMan:

We are glad that you enjoyed our new The Westin Puntacana Resort & Club and that we helped improve your perception of the region, which overall has really improved the overall quality of its product.

Thank you for saying such positive things about our rooms, the staff, the breakfast and some of the other amenities in Puntacana Resort & Club such as the golf and the natural lagoons.

We hope to have you back soon.

Kaufbeuren, Germany
Reviewed 9 March 2014

This was my first trip to the Dominican Republic and relative to two "luxury" hotels in Santo Domingo where I've stayed (Nicolas Ovando Mgallery and Hilton), the Westin Punta Cana clearly stands out because it is not only new but also clean and crisp and has a high standard of in-room facilities. The Westin also is relatively (!) cheaper than other high end properties in Punta Cana / Bavaro.

However, comparing the very high absolute price with what that money can buy in other countries (e.g., Mexico and Miami), I still was very disappointed by the overall experience. While the rooms are spacious, the modern-sleek style of the property also can come across as a bit sterile, and there are a few clear downsides due to which I wouldn't want to stay there for a long time:

1) The rooms have very poor sound insulation - bring ear plugs. I even heard every step in the room in the floor above!

2) The menu of the Brassa Grill at the beach is extremely short, standard, and boring. The Anani restaurant has a few more imaginative options but a sterile interior (it's mostly indoors and the small outside area is in a corner of the property far away from the beach).

3) The breakfast is distinctively boring and apart from the very good egg station doesn't offer many tempting options (e.g., very limited choice of fruits, no freshly made muesli, no specialty or local delicacy to which one would look forward to). A good thing is that breakfast is until noon.

4) The gym has sparkling new LifeFitness cardio equipment and free weights but just two randomly chosen machines (for chest and shoulders) but nothing else (e.g., nothing for back, legs etc.); there is a lot of empty space in the gym and it almost looks like they ran out of money for properly equipping the gym.

5) The waiters at the beach stubbornly ignored me - I even waved at them and called them when they stood 4 meters away and looked at me but they still would choose to walk away.

Therefore I left with a few regrets and really nothing I could point out as a high-light. This is just not enough to justify a trip to the resort and paying such a high price (e.g., by comparison, the beach clubs in Boca Chica offer a lot more style and vibe). It would be really great if Westin could be a bit more imaginative!

Room Tip: We treated us to a suite but got one which was in an inside corner of the double-L-shaped building...
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank biz_world-traveler_d
Alberto A, Executive Director of Hospitality at The Westin Puntacana Resort & Club, responded to this review, 11 March 2014
Dear biz_world-traveler_d:

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel The Westin Puntacana Resort & Club!

We are sorry that all in all you did not like the hotel and we hope that at some point you will give us another opportunity.

We are happy that you liked the newness and crispness of the hotel and the high standards of the rooms.

We have taken note of your F&B comments and we will look at them, I am not sure when you stayed in the hotel, but in the last few days we have improved the breakfast buffet considerably and have gotten some good comments about them.

We are also sorry about the lack of service at the beach, this is something we stress on a lot because of its importance and obviously have an issue there because of your experience.

In regards to the gym equipment, the supplier did not have the equipment in the country and there is more equipment coming in the next few weeks.

Again, we thank you for your time reviewing our hotel and we hope that you will give us another opportunity one of these days.