“What Unlimited Premium Spirits” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Breathless Punta Cana Resort & Spa

Ranked #14 of 110 Hotels in Punta Cana
Canton, Ohio
“What Unlimited Premium Spirits”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 July 2014

Well back from another week in Punta Cana Dominican Republic. First, the time of year to go in reference to the weather was perfect, little or no humidity which made for very comfortable evenings. The resort is very nice and appealing to the eye and seems to be well maintained. Big, have to do a little walking for dinner at times, but nothing really off the wall. Restaurants, the only one I didn’t really care for was the French. Things aren’t always prepared the way you may think as compared to in the states. This is however the only restaurant where you have to wear long pants to eat inside. You can wear shorts if you eat outside, however outside tables are limited at the French. All other restaurants allow you to wear shorts. Also the long pants you wear at the French can be jeans with tennis shoes. Really liked the Lebanese, Latin and the Japanese was ok typical hibachi. Others said the Sushi bar was good didn’t get to try. The morning buffet at the X’hale Club restaurant was, I thought some what limited. I think the regular buffet for all the “OTHER PEOPLE” has a better selection it’s the Spoon. I would question if the X’hale club is really worth the extra money as I well explain in a little bit reference to drinks. There are plenty of pools and never had an issue getting good seats around the pool or pools. The entertainment crew is really good and try's there best to have something going on, beach volley ball, water volley ball, water polo, water aerobics in the pool and ocean, water basketball, and games on the beach. The beach is really nice and plenty of seats for people to get a good spot, no vendors on beach in front of hotel. If you walk the beach you will get hit up by vendors, but that is to be expected. Believe me you can buy most anything, REALLY ANYTHING. The rooms are nice and well maintained and kept clean. I got to see a Master Suite. Great locations , really big and great patios or balconies if on the 2nd or 3rd floor, which I would recommend if getting this room. Worth the money, personal call.
The drinks!!!!!! They really need to take Unlimited Premium Spirits off there web site as this was truly BS. I was there a week and not once did I get drunk, tipsy, or even catch a buzz. You have sent me to a lot of resorts and this is the first where I truly believe that they were watering down the liquor or putting low grade liquor in premium liquor bottles. In the room bar you get the typical local beer and 1 bottle of the local Rum which they well replace, (I was in the Xhale club room, so they may not for the other rooms). However the DR is not really known for their Rum, must be an acquired taste. A lot of people complained about the drinks that we talked to at the resort. So to test this theory, My spouse, father -in-law and I went to the Xhale club bar to get some drinks. I figured the way to really know was to do a shot of liquor. we ordered 3 shots of Crown Royal. The guy behind the bar reached under the bar opened up a new bottle of Crown and poured 3 shots and boy this was really Crown Royal, I was happy. Therefore I ordered my spouse a double Crown and coke and the guy behind the bar goes to a different shelf and grabs a bottle of Crown and makes the drink. I asked why don’t you just use the bottle you gave us shots from and he said it’s ok It’s the same stuff BS. I have no ideal what was in the other Crown bottle but it dam sure was not Crown Royal. I have never had this at the other Secrets resorts that we have been to, so this was really unexpected. I will be sending an e-mail to their corporate office, as I believe that it wasn’t the staffs call and I’m not sure corporate is aware of this. However go to trip advisor and a lot of people talk about it. I think the manager is doing this at the resort on his own accord and ripping off the clients. Except for the liquor issue, was a very good trip but should have been cheaper based on non-premium liquor being served.(even at the restaurants, and Xhale Club).

Mike Gregory

PS: Unlimited Connectivity, never could get my smart phone to make a free call even to the resort, however the WIFI worked great.

Room Tip: Rooms on upper floors seemed to echo noise a lot from the hallways.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
10 Thank Michael G
BreathlessPC, General Manager at Breathless Punta Cana Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 9 August 2014
Dear Mr. Gregory,

Thank you for reviewing our resort. It is good to know that overall, you enjoyed your stay with us, especially the friendly service from our Team. On the other hand, we regret we did not meet your expectations with our beverages service. It is important to us to remark that we do not refill bottles or water down alcohol. Due to our warm weather ice on mixed drinks melts fast; however, we are more than happy to mix a stronger drink to our guests who indicate so. We appreciate your feedback and remain at your disposal.

Breathless Punta Cana Resort & Spa

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2,279)
  • Czech first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Brantford, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 July 2014 via mobile

Nice hotel but...you better buy the Exhale Club otherwise you'll feel like a second class tourist on your vacation.
If you are a pool person, like to drink a lot of sugary watered down drinks then this is the place to go.
The beach for the "commoners" is fairly small ( the area with palapas and trees) so you have to be there early or fight for your chair.
There is a rope that separates the Club section and that area is larger.
Bottled water is available on the beach only for Exhale Club, likewise certain drinks .
They advertise wi-fi everywhere on the resort but that is if you are lucky- it's not working because there are too many people connected at once. They say you can call in Canada and US for free but it isn't working because they only have 6 lines for the whole resort. So all these nice things are a hit and miss.
Cleaning in inthe rooms is done at whatever time they can , if you are gone all day it's ok, sometimes it's done early sometimes late in the day.
You have to be persistent if you need something as they are a bit disorganized. Theytry to help but you need to be patient and willing to spend the time to ask, call, , etc and that's not how I want to spend my vacation.
The resort is in the middle of nowhere , at the end of the beach-
It might be ok for some people, it all depends upon your standards.
I am at the resort now, so if you need to know something pls ask me, I might be able to answer if I am lucky and get a few mins of internet connection.

• 2 of 5 bubbles
11 Thank LiL919
BreathlessPC, General Manager at Breathless Punta Cana Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 31 July 2014
Dear LiL919,

Thank you for staying with us and for reviewing our resort. We regret we did not meet of all of your expectations this time. There are indeed services exclusive to Xhale Club members, as published on our website; nevertheless, we strive to deliver a great service and a great time to everyone. Since our opening, the aspect of our resort we have got most compliments about is the friendly service from our Team; we are truly sorry we did not make you feel at home. I regret you found our beach to be small, we have added more palapas and we have not had issues with chairs so far. We have included calls to the US and Canada from our App as advertised, we will review and correct any issue with the WiFi connection. Your perception is important to us, and we remain at your disposal.

Kind regards,

Clara Escribano
Buffalo, New York
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 July 2014 via mobile

We went for a quick 4 day getaway for a great deal to Breathless and it left a lot to be desired. Upon arrival we were not experiencing that jaw dropping moment that we usually do when going to other AM resorts. Once inside it is a newer hotel so it is quite clean and very modern. Check in was a cluster and it took them a good 20 minutes to realize we xhale club members.... Once they did we had to stand an wait for another 10 minutes to catch a golf cart over to the xhale club to recheck in with them. Upon arriving at the xhale club we were checked in all at the same time as 2 other couples with one employee and this was confusing and not high end.
The facilities are sparkling clean as they are always cleaning, painting and keeping up on things. The only downfall was the pool which has black dirt/ mold in the grout lines and is very dirty and slimey. Xhale club is worth the upgrade cost if you actually want to get alcohol that isn't watered down. The previous reviews are dead on when they say the alcohol is watered down as we drank quite a bit and never once felt remotely tipsy. You couldn't even taste the alcohol unless you went to drink at the xhale club. Food service was EXTREMELY slow plan to wait over an hour from ordering your food to recieve it and bring your own drinks because you won't get one at the restaurant. The food itself is also not good tasteless or over cooked and a lot of "I'm sorry we are out of that".

All in all nice property but lacking big time in management/ service/ liquor/ quality.

The E Team was good as the worked hard to keep people entertained. The only annoying part is they beg you everyday to put their names on the checkout survey and give the good reviews or they will get "fired".

Did we get a great deal "Yes" was the quality delivered worth that great deal "No" would we ever return "No" nor would we recommend it to anyone.

AM resorts is a fantastic brand as we travel to all the Secrets properties quite often. I feel this Breeathless concept will be a thing of the past if the current management keeps running it.

• 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
9 Thank Vpx69771
Dear Vpx69771,

Thank you for your review. We are glad that overall, you enjoyed our beautiful facilities and amenities. On the other hand, we apologize about check-in and any service mishaps you may have gone through. We have reviewed your reports above with our Team, in order to improve those opportunity areas. We have a very strict cleaning program for all our property, including the pools. Although we have not got this kind of feedback before, we will strengthen our procedures. Likewise, please allow me to remark that the alcohol served at our bars is not watered down, we encourage our guests to indicate our bartenders their specific preferences, so we may cater to their tastes the best way possible. I am really sorry about the interaction from our E-Team, it is not something we support and it has been properly addressed. We appreciate your feedback and we remain at your disposal for any further assistance.

Clara Escribano
New york
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 July 2014 via mobile

My boyfriend and stay there for 6 days, we had a wonderful vacation, the place is clean and gorgeous, the food is amazing, and party was just perfect. They try everything to help you everything, the girl name Margarita she was working at beach and pool, she is adorable, if you need anything just ask her, she is the best.

Stayed July 2014
2 Thank Jasonlis
Dear Jasonlis,

Thank you for choosing us to spend your vacation, and for sharing your experience. We are glad that you had a wonderful time, and enjoyed our beautiful facilities, food, and lively entertainment. Please be sure that we will pass your kind words to Margarita. We here remain at your disposal, and look forward to welcoming you back.

New Jersey
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 July 2014

We chose to visit, on the recommendation of a friend who went on a girls trip, and another friend/travel agent. It was less expensive than some of the other places we were considering (all-inclusive, adult only, carribean). We returned a couple days ago.

We booked an xhale club Master Suite Oceanfront View. Having an Ocean View was important, and we felt xhale club would be worth it for us. We were very happy with the room. The MasterSuite was a 'double' sized room, and our balcony was open to the skies and had a great front facing beach/ocean view.

The airport was an adventure, both coming and going. Never felt dangerous, but it's open air with big fans, not air conditioned. Lines were rarely organized, and long. It may be a reason for us to delay a return visit.

There were 3 couples on our flight, headed to the resort, so we had a direct trip (not stops at other properties), and left quickly. The drive was easy.

Upon arrival, we were recognized as xhale club guests and put on a cart and taken to the air conditioned xhale club lounge for check-in. Marclelino, the xhale manager was the one that drove us. Cool towels, and a drink were waiting. There were small bites available in the lounge, as well as a bar, restrooms, couches, and TVs. Although initially disappointed with a 2nd floor room (fearing a roof over the balcony), it turned out to be a great room (2298), and I would request it if we return. Introduced to William, our VIP concierge, who walked us to the room, arranged for baggage and told us to let him know if we needed anything. Baggage arrived in short order, and we headed to get a bite to eat.

The restaurants are not gourmet. The staff does their best to provide great service, with mixed results. Francisco was my favorite server (The Strip Grill lunch, French dinner), who was the only one who knew how to make an unsweetened iced tea without a fruity herbal tea. Robinson was our favorite 'blue shirt' manager/maitre'd (Strip Grill and Sofritos). Freindly, warm, professional and always seeking to keep/make us happy. On our next to last night, when he saw us he offered to have the staff prepare a special meal on our last night. Unfortunately the weather didn't cooperate and we didn't get a chance to take him up on the offer). Oscar was another favorite waiter, who also served us for our romantic dinner up on the Breath platform. Oscar is a seasoned professional, who has experience in Atlantic City casinos (we're from New Jersey) and Dominican roots. It was a pleasure meeting and chatting with all 3 of those whenever we got the chance. They made us feel like old friends, high rollers, VIP guests etc.

Room service was good as well. Our first few breakfasts were room service, and I suggest you try it at least once. Fried eggs don't travel well, but the scrambled eggs and omelette were tasty as were pastries and fruit. Coffee is caribbean strong and my black coffee drinking wife was drinking coffee con leche all week. Breakfast buffet at the Strip Grill (xhale only) was a buffet, and the big chef (whose name escapes me) was friendly, helpful and talented.

We had a buffet dinner our first night, the fresh grilled meats and cooked to order pasta were the best choices. One buffet lunch after the nightmare shopping excursion was OK. The Apple rep offered some advice against shopping on the beach from local vendors (we were never approached) and the 2 hour, 2 location trip was a fiasco from the get go. The van driver arrived a few minutes late, then waited a few more minutes before pulling up. Probably trying one last time to get the passenger door open (he didn't) we climbed in through the drivers door, made a stop at Dreams to pickup one couple waiting and waited for a 2nd couple to arrive, drink in hand. Brought to a touristy shop, prices were slightly better than the gift shop. Coffee, rum, cigars, jewelry, paintings and lots of mama juana samples. Told to be ready in 45 minutes, we waited an additional 1/2 hour for pickup. 2nd shop was same as the first, perhaps a bit larger, we didn't get off and chose to return to the resort in a grumpy mood. We also met Caesar from the VIP/Gold Key Unlimited Vacations desk. He offered some great incentives to visit Zoetry, a 90 minute trip (5 min away). We didn't go, and heard later that it was a 3 hour intensive sales/marketing trip, the big ticket was $129,000 USD membership. Glad we dodged that bullet.

Our dinner at the French restaurant left us both ill for the night. We heard similar stories from some, but not all the other guests. Sofritos was excellent (Soncocho stew/soup was exellent, as was the goat stew and fried snapper). Continental dinner at Culinaria was good, although cooking a steak to medium presented challenges most of the week. Dinner at the strip grill was very good. Wings, fried calamari done well, steaks cooked to medium. The romantic dinner was very good. It was a 3 hour meal, and we were both stuffed. Lobster is in season and was quite tasty. We sat at 7:30, would sit earlier if we did it again. Oscar was great. Planned to visit Robinson for a special Dominican meal on our last night, but the lobster dinner on the beach was rained off the beach and into Softrito and the Strip Grill, closing it to others. Robinson offered to seat us anyway, but we declined to impose and headed back for a great room service steak.

We sat poolside at the 'quiet' side of the main pool. Near The Strip Grill, plenty of chairs, shade providing huts and drink service. William, Clara and Renci took great care of us. Checking in often, even getting us drinks in the coconut and pineapple when offered. Ice drink guy was reported to be drinking with tipping guests and my wife got 1 ice and was disgusted when he almost made her's in the cup he was drinking from.

We didn't sit at the river pools on the side, or make it to the freestyle/action pool. Floats were not an issue, plenty around and nobody hoarding them, although guests tended to grab and hold one for the day. The other areas didn't appear to have as much shade and sun protection, but I'm sure you could find it early if needed.

The beach had chairs and huts, plenty available early in the week, but later it filled up quickly. Ocean was comfortable, and there is a reef with some neat fish. We brought our own masks and snorkels. Reef is loaded with sea urchins, be careful if you head over. There are fish everywhere, even away from the reef. Saw others with borrowed equipment and underwater cameras. There is also drink service on the beach, and a couple of cabanas, unsure if the cabanas need to be reserved or are an extra charge. We just walked to the beach from the pool when we wanted to go. We had planned to ask about taking out a sunfish, but the wind at the end of the week picked up and we decided to skip it.

The e-team (entertainment) worked hard all day and into the nightly shows. Plenty to do if you wanted, no pressure if you didn't. We saw the tribute show, it was high energy. My HS drama, choral teachers would have been fired for putting on such a production, but it was entertaining and a small part of what they do. We did enjoy talking with Mr. Blue during the day, even though we passed on all the activities. The eteam manager encouraged TripAdvisor reviews, as did a couple other employees. I planned to write one, as I usually do, it seems that a few others posted their first and only review from the resort, we didn't get that pressure or request.

A great breeze 100% of the time we were there. Unsure if that's typical for the whole island, or unique to the resort. It was the best weather we've had in the Caribbean. Rained almost every overnight, but only a couple times when we were awake, and never during the day.

The casino was a single room with half a dozen tables and a dozen slots. Poker never materialized when I was in the room ($1/2 NL, $50 min buy-in). The resort coupons include $10 match play. My $5 chip that I kept cost me $50 :( We did stop in a few times (only open nights). Wife donated $10 to the slots.

Guests for most of the week were great. Friendly as you wanted. On the last day, a large group arrived. They were loud and obnoxious, they were less loud after I happened to run into Marcelino. Mostly couples, but some older couples brought adult children. Some other groups of women, and a pair of older men who were together most of the time. Mostly American with a few Europeans, and most Americans were East Coasters (NJ, NY), at least those that we spoke with.

Premium alcohol is subjective, and I think some is low proof. I drank all day, mostly mojitos, and don't recall being buzzed at all. I am usually limited to a few scotches a few times a month with a cigar. I did ask for an eventually get a bottle of Ron Barcello Imperial for the room. Under $50 a bottle, it seemed to be the most premium sipping liquor. We noticed some people getting a shot along with a drink, to help the buzz along. Tipping may have helped that along as well. We were not tippers, although on our last couple days we showed appreciation to some of the staff we felt were excellent.

We visited the spa for a couples massage. My wife talked to the xhale lounge rep (Not William, or Marcelino) and the rep said she would make the appointments (also a hot stone massage for my wife later in the week). It was not confirmed the next day, and the we stopped again the next night. The following morning it was confirmed. Book directly with the spa. The discounts and coupons were not able to be used on the couples masssage package, as it was a package and already discounted. We were offered to have simultaneous massages (for a much higher price) and then use the discounts (still much higher). The massage left my back in serious pain, but I'm prone to back pain, and in hindsight should have skipped the massage knowing that. I was fine the next day. The spa also has an indoor pool, hot tub, cold tub, steam room and sauna. We had planned to spend time there prior to our appointment, but enjoyed the company of people around the pool too much. We did stay for a short while after the massage.

WiFi worked everywhere that I tried. Keep your devices on airplane mode, and you only miss out on calls and texting. The app didn't work for us calling, but the phones in the rooms can call the US at no charge. We didn't know that and will have one international call charge on our next phone bill.

We also found out that Apple, AMResorts, AMSTAR, cheapcaribbean and unlimited vacations are all part of the same corporate family. Seemed like news to a few people.

As with every trip I seem to take, I'm ready to plan another trip back. My wife reminds me that the airport was a real hassle, and that the restaurants were not actually gourmet, the spirits were not actually premium. It's a good resort, with the potential to be really great.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
15 Thank BigBlue120
Dear BigBlue120,

Thank you for staying with us and for sharing your review. We are glad that overall, you had a pleasant stay, and enjoyed many of our services and amenities, especially at the Xhale Club. We regret we could not exceed your expectations with our food & beverages offer. We are carrying out important changes on those areas, which we hope will be to the satisfaction of our guests. We truly hope we may welcome you back, please do contact us whenever you consider visiting us again, we all will do our best to deliver a totally Breathless experience.

4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 July 2014

The resort was really nice, as to be expected from a new resort. What really impressed our group was the level of service! Everyone we walked past greeted us in such a friendly way and everyone is always "magnifico!" We rented beach cabanas most days and we had Yohandy servicing us on the beach - he was the best! Yohandy referred to us as "family" and always made sure we had everything that we needed. Hector was amazing also - very attentive and thorough to every request made. He even came into work early to make sure that we were able to get our bags out of our room and checked out properly. Victoriano on the beach was really awesome as well. Overall we felt like everyone we met was happy to help and wanted to genuinely make our stay the best that it could possibly be.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Amjohnsn
Dear Amjohnsn,

Thank you so much for your review. We are happy that you had a great stay, and that we could impress you with the friendly service from our Team. We strive to deliver a “magnífico” time, and make our guests feel at home, and it is wonderful to get your comments. We will certainly recognize Yohandy, Hector and Victoriano on your behalf. We remain at your service, and hope to welcome you back.

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 July 2014

Went on our honeymoon here and the service from the staff was AMAZING! All we wanted to do was lounge and relax and that's exactly what we did. Hermes Enrique Rosario was by far the most amazing! Anything we wanted he was right there. Couldn't have asked for a more beautiful beach. No rocks, all perfect sand. We will definitely be back. And the room service 24 hour was also fantastic. If you didn't want to leave your room to eat they brought it for you. Like I said, we will be back!

2 Thank Taraandersen
Dear Taraandersen,

Thank you for spending your honeymoon with us and for sharing your feedback. We are happy that your stay was “magnífico” and that we exceeded your expectations with our beautiful beach, our facilities and the friendly service from our Team. That is the kind of experience we strive to deliver to all of our guests, and it is very motivating to get your comments. We remain at your disposal, please contact us for anything you may need in regards to your next stay, it will be a pleasure to help.

Warm regards,