“Memories ? No Good Memories”

Memories Splash Punta Cana
Ranked #36 of 110 Hotels in Punta Cana
GreenLeadersGold level
kent
“Memories ? No Good Memories”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 May 2014

Do yourself a favour and read all the terrible and bad reviews first as we can relate to them all.
This hotel is just a front for time-share, they sit in all corridors with offers of free gifts, upgraded meals in the Royalton followed by a 2 hour presentation upstairs in the Royalton by the Terrace bar.
When we arrived after a nine hour flight with 2 little children we were informed they had no booking for us. They did find us 2 rooms in about half an hour but it was hassle we didn't need. Everyone else on the transfer coach received their room keys etc on the bus so went straight to their rooms. I had emailed the hotel previously to explain that I had mobility problems and needed a room close to everything ...they put us in block 1 which is furthest from everything. This room had no hot water in the basin, mixer tap only had cold water, maintenance said " there is a problem I will be back "Well a week later we were still waiting.! We saw a manager one evening who asked if everything was ok we explained about the hot water he said it would be repaired in 10 minutes and whilst we were out (other party members in room) someone came to fix the tv which they were watching. I suppose hot water and tv sound similar.
We had a leak coming through the bathroom ceiling but this time grabbed a maintenance man in the corridor who fixed it straight away. One day we had no water at all .The next day, 8 out of 14 reception phoned twice in 5 minutes and asked us to change to supposedly upgraded rooms in blocks 7 8 or 9. We chose block 9 as other reviewers have raved about it. My room had a walk in shower which would make life easier we thought ha ha. The first shower flooded the whole bathroom which made it impossible to use the toilet as the tiles were too slippery.. 2 days later after returning from the pool our 3 year old grandson went straight down on his backside, thinking it was because his feet were wet we looked and saw the floor was flooded. It was coming through the ceiling yet again. We went to dinner leaving maintenance to repair it.
We were already annoyed because they had closed the Selections restaurant, meaning we had to go to the so called upgraded Royalton for lunch and dinner every day. The Mexican was also closed for 3 days so couldn't use that either.
We felt like 2nd class citizens staying at Memories, all entertainment and now food were at the Royalton
The floor standing lights outside the social bar are not covered and get really hot as our 3 year old grandson found out, luckily the burns did not blister.
The tiles around the whole resort including pathways are lethal when it rains, this includes the splash park ...which is new, the swimming pools and even the rooms. In Europe we have laws about non slip around pools, even astro turf would be safer.
We were given beers when we ordered Ameretto sours on numerous occasions, we even got a Tequila Sour on one occasion.
On one occasion whilst talking to reception on the phone she said " do you not understand English" I asked her what language she thought I was speaking.
I could go on but think you get the gist of my review. I will sum it up by saying when we were leaving the staff said "see you next year " the 3 year old said " I won't come back here "
The only thing that sells this hotel is the Splash Park , don't be fooled like we were.

Room Tip: Are there any good rooms ?
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
16 Thank chasmi49
MauricioZarate, General Manager at Memories Splash Punta Cana, responded to this review, 22 October 2014
Dear chasmi49,

We would like to thank you for your preference in selecting Memories Splash Punta Cana for your vacation, as well for taking the time to tell us about your recent experience.

We are very sorry that you experience did not meet your expectations; please allow me to express our sincerest apologies. At Memories Splash Punta Cana, we continuously strive to meet your needs and expectations; therefore you feedback is very important to us. Your comments have been forwarded to the management of the hotel.

We appreciate the time you took to share your concerns and we hope to take the opportunity to serve you again.

Royalton Punta Cana & Memories Splash

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,198)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 May 2014

The service really is excellent at this place. Most of the staff are very friendly. When passing on the resort most will smile and say "ola" I want to really recognize Victor, he really went above and beyond to make sure we we're happy, at the main buffet and at the "under the sea' restaurant. Victor and Rudy provided excellent service at under the sea to make sure my mother-in-law had a great birthday celebration. Also want to recognize Raul at the main buffet. He was our server our first day there, and he made it a point to always come by and say hello every time he saw us! I thought this was truly outstanding!
The only person on the resort who I encountered who had extremely poor customer service skills was Carolina at the beans café on the Royalton side. She never smiled, was rude, and treated us more like a nuisance rather than a guest.

the rooms were nice. not many bugs which was nice. The TV is quite high-tech too bad it went down a couple of times during the week. The shower didn't drain properly. So we we're having shower in 1-2inches of water. I complained about this twice, but it never got fixed. And I found the pillows way to big/hard.

The food is average. Its nice that you can go to as many a la carte as you like without reservation. Under the sea is the best one. The food at the other 2 a la carte was average to poor. On numerous occasions I had coke that was warm and flat. Or coffee that wasn't made properly.

The kids water park is amazing. Lots of fun for any age. And very safe and well-supervised.

The language barrier can become apparent, the first 2 nights we got crank calls at our room. We called to complain to front desk. Not sure what happened with that, the calls stopped, but some follow up with us would have been nice. It took us a few times for them to understand what I was saying.

The beach was very clean, although a bit too wavy.

Overall this place is very good, excellent service, and not crowded which we loved. Pools are very good. swim up bars were very good. The WI-FI and unlimited calls to Canada were also very nice!!! I would go back, just wish the food was a bit better.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank DARRYL D
MauricioZarate, General Manager at Memories Splash Punta Cana, responded to this review, 17 May 2014
Dear DARRYL D.,

We would like to thank you personally for sharing on TripAdvisor your kind feedback about your stay at Memories Splash Punta Cana.

We appreciate to hear that we have been able to meet your expectations and that our location and facilities have contributed to a wonderful holiday in our hotel. It is a great pleasure to read how much you have enjoyed our resort.

Montreal, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 May 2014

Perfect hotel for a family vacation. Rooms are clean, the staff is very nice, always ready to help you. Only kids 6 years and older can use the bigger waterslides, but there is a section for smaller kids. There are good shows at night, always different. A lot of activities around the pool too and there is always music. Regarding food, the buffet at Memories is very average, the food is cold However for breakfast, there is an egg/omelet station where the guy makes it in front of you. but you only have to go there for breakfast. There are other options for lunch and dinner. For lunch, you can go to the buffet (Trattoria) next to the beach at the Royalton and it's delicious. There is also a snack place where they have paninis and burgers. At night, there are many a-la-carte restaurants with no reservation required and unlimited access. Food is very good and there is always a kids menu. You have access to the Royalton a-la-carte restaurants but you have to pay 10$/kid and 15$/adult or buy wine. Alcohol at Memories is domestic only so not very good, but if you're going for a family vacation it's ok. The local beer is very good (Presidente). Of course, there is a guy running after you for the time share, but if you tell him nicely that you're not interested he will stop. Best service was from Rafael at la Trattoria.

Room Tip: a room close the the waterpark, that way you're also close to the Royalton
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
9 Thank Christina R
MauricioZarate, General Manager at Memories Splash Punta Cana, responded to this review, 16 May 2014
Dear Christina R.,

3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 May 2014

Travelled here in November 2013. The resort is very large, so unless you can catch the cart expect a lot of walking. The food wasn't bad-not too much variety but definitely edible. The beach is outstanding. Beautiful water and sand. The rooms were okay, always clean. We requested a King bed and were put in a room with two queens. By the time we got to our room we just decided to push our beds together as the lobby was a far walk. The staff was great. I wouldn't necessarily go back to this resort, but it is a solid 3.5-4 star. It's decent quality for the price we paid.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
Halifax, NS
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 May 2014

We stayed here March 14-21, 2014. My review is long – I’m all about the details!

We flew Sunwing and had no issues either direction. I had purchased out Tourist Cards online so once off the plane, we zipped right to the front to the line. We used a porter to help with our luggage and he ushered us out the airport in record time, no one bothered us at all. I had booked a private transfer with Gobecon and the van was waiting. Although the driver didn’t speak much English, he did his best to point out the sights along the way to the resort. We were the first to arrive at the resort and went right to the reception desk. There was a guest tearing a strip off the poor guy at the reception desk because no one told her not to drink the water from the tap and her daughter got sick (really? You need someone to tell you that?). For her “inconvenience” she expected to be upgraded to the Presidential Suite. Are you kidding me? The poor guy at the desk did a good job of weathering the abuse, and no, she did not get the Presidential Suite. I mention this only because sometimes people comment that the folks at reception are not very friendly, but after witnessing this exchange I would have to say it’s no wonder! Anyway, we were assigned a room right away! As soon as he gave me the room number I knew it was not what I had requested and not where I wanted to be, but I didn’t have the heart to complain after his previous encounter. I just looked at the bright side – I’ve never been able to get into a room at 10:30 in the morning before so it was a bonus!! A porter helped us with our luggage and made a point of showing us things along the way to our room. We were in building 2 which was not refurbished. The room was fine with the exception of 2 double beds when the websites (Memories and Sunwing) both said all rooms have 2 queen beds (or a king). Hubby is tall, so a bigger bed is important to me! The room was a good size for the 3 of us, nice large balcony with 2 chairs and a good sized bathroom with tub and shower. There was a walk in closet with lots of room to hang things and store suitcases, but there were only 3 small drawers in the dresser so it was not possible to unpack fully. Not a big deal. Air conditioning worked fine and we never had an issue with hot water. I thought the bed and pillow was comfortable, I know others have complained that they weren’t, but it is a personal taste thing. The room was cleaned everyday before noon and she did a good job. The fridge was refilled everyday as well. Always had lots of shampoo, lotion, etc. Electrical outlets were difficult to access so I was grateful I had brought a power bar with me. We had a nice balcony, lots of room. Two plastic chairs and a small table, but we brought out a wicker chair from the room because there were 3 of us.

The resort is big, but the trolley system is very efficient. We don’t mind walking, but we used the trolley a lot because it was easy! Never had to wait more than 3 or 4 minutes. The resort is extremely clean, never saw garbage lying around. The public washrooms that I used were all very clean, and some were also very well decorated (lobby). The employees are very friendly, some more so than others but I didn’t encounter anyone I would call rude. I was cautious who I spoke to however because I knew there were time share salespeople there and you can’t always tell who they are.

We went to the buffet every morning for breakfast. It was always good with lots of selection. I hardly ever saw empty trays, even at 10:00 the bacon was still full (I know that’s a frequent complaint for AI visitors so that’s why I mention it!). I had an omelet every morning. There are 2 omelet stations – the one at the far end by the wall, he can only cook 2 at a time so it takes a bit longer. The other station can cook 4 at a time so this line moves fast. The same chef was there every morning – he cooks omelets for 4 hours every morning and he was there 7 days straight – with a cheerful look on his face every day! I didn’t get his name, but I was very appreciative of his service. At the far end, there are jugs of fresh vegetable juices – carrot, beet, etc. Then there are fresh juices as well as juices in dispensers. Delicious! We only had lunch at the buffet once and while I would say it was uninspiring, we only ate there once so that’s really not enough to make an opinion on. We didn’t eat dinner there at all. We had lunch at Bites a couple of times, burgers, dogs and fries were all good. Real ground beef patties, not pre-fab frozen stuff. Same with the BBQ at the Royalton pool. We mostly had lunches at the Italian buffet on the beach. Good variety, burgers, roasted chicken, pasta, salads, pizza, soup, chili. This buffet is open until 6:00 everyday. We had dinner one evening at the Sports Bar at the Royalton. We were the ONLY people in there. You can order off the menu, things like chicken wings, nachos, wraps, etc. We had the nachos, which consisted of warm tortilla chips and 3 dips (salsa fresca, cheese sauce, and delicious guacamole!). We also had chicken wings which were very good and chicken “bites” which were pieces of whole chicken (not pressed meat) deep fried. All of this was very good. They had large TV’s broadcasting various sporting events and there was a pool table in there as well. The ice cream shoppe had vanilla soft serve as well as treats such as cupcakes and they also served small sandwiches. The coffee shop at the Royalton has the same sandwiches and treats, but they also had chocolate soft serve ice cream.

We ate at the Italian a la carte twice. There was no wait either time (arrived after 7:00pm). There are no appetizers on the menu, but they have an antipasto bar to serve yourself. The first night had cold cuts and cheeses, along with salads and soup. The second time there were no meats, but various marinated vegetables. If you sit close to the antipasto bar, you can watch the chef making pizzas and tossing them into the air  The waiter will bring an appetizer to your table (that you don’t order). The first night it was Caprese Salad and the second night it was bruschetta. The entrée options are pastas (mostly vegetarian) and pizzas/calzones. The first night my son and I had pasta and my husband had a calzone. We all enjoyed it and I would easily say the pasta was just as good or better than any other Italian restaurant I have eaten in. The portion was plenty for me but for a bigger eater you might find it is not enough. The second night we ordered a pizza to share between the 3 of us and then we each had a pasta dish. This was more than enough food. We had dessert as well, although I can’t remember what! The service was excellent. The only thing that disappointed me was the cappuccino. I was saddened to see the resort only has Nescafe machines instead of the delicious coffee that they grow in DR. But when I ordered a cappuccino at the Italian restaurant I was expecting to get real cappuccino. I took one sip and said to my son “It’s gas station cappuccino!” You know, that sickly sweet stuff that comes out of a machine? That became a running joke for the rest of the trip. After every meal my son would ask me if I was having gas station cappuccino!

The first time we tried to go to the Steakhouse (7:00) the wait was an hour so we didn’t stay. The next time I went at 7:15 and put our name on the list then went back to my room to get ready. We didn’t get our table until 8:45 but it was worth it. I ordered a salad first, then had the tenderloin along with a baked potato and vegetables. You have to order side dishes separately so I ordered both to get some veggies. I would suggest ordering a couple or several sides as the portions are small. Everything was delicious and it was probably the best steak I have ever had or at least in the top 3! For dessert we had what looked like a chocolate tower. It was pretty to look at but only so-so in flavor. A couple of interesting things happened while we were here. First, there were some dancers from the show that was scheduled for that night in the restaurant. They were sitting near us and we thought it was a little odd, until they got up and performed a dance and sort of serenaded a woman in the restaurant! I think it was her birthday and it was very sweet. Then later, a group of the servers and kitchen staff came into the restaurant and started signing and playing music on pots and things. They went around to each table and stopped for a few minutes to entertain. I don’t know what they were singing but it certainly appeared as if they were having lots of fun doing it! It was probably one of the coolest things I have ever seen!! I wish I had recorded it on my iphone, but I was so mesmerized by the whole thing I didn’t even think of it.

The Mexican restaurant was pretty good. The wait was about an hour to get in, we sat in the bellini bar just outside. I had the tacos al pastor for an appetizer and I was a little disappointed with this dish. We ate these in Mexico last year so I was excited to see them on the menu, but they were just OK. I had the chicken burrito which was pretty good and my husband had the fajitas, which I think were the better choice of the two. My son had a brownie for dessert – it seems all the a la cartes have the same brownie dessert on the menu! The service here was also very good.

The Seafood restaurant was just OK for me. But to clarify, I do not eat seafood. There was no wait to get in. The appetizers were all seafood with the exception of deep fried cheese sticks, which I had. I also had a tomato basil soup which was very good. My son had shrimp in a jacket and liked them. I can’t remember what my husband had, but he liked it as well. My husband also ordered a green salad with scallops, but it was a very small portion, maybe half a cup of greens with one and a half scallops! The entrée section is what confused me a bit. This is advertised as a “seafood restaurant” but there were very few choices for seafood entrees. My husband and son both had the seafood linguine which they both enjoyed. The only other seafood option was the catch of the day. The only menu item with lobster was the Diamond Dinner for Two which we didn’t want to order, so I asked the waiter if it was possible just to get a lobster tail for my son. He said no problem. When he brought the meals he actually had 3 lobster tails! I guess he assumed we each wanted one. In any case, my husband and son ate the 3 of them! I ordered a chicken dish for my main course and this was probably the only disappointing meal I had at the resort. There was nothing wrong with it and I ate it, but it was just kind of boring I guess. The roasted chicken at the beach buffet was actually better than this chicken. Desserts were good and service was very good.

Over all I have to say in all of our All Inclusive trips, these a la cartes were the best yet. And the service in all of the restaurants was exceptional, although maybe a bit slow for some peoples liking.

We spent our “pool time” at the quiet pool because it was right outside our building. Always chairs available (not always shade) and always clean towels available. Bar service was good, I’m not a big drinker and don’t really notice what kind of alcohol is in the drinks. There was one pool on either side of the bar. I also noticed that there seemed to be an employee standing off to the side watching the pool activity all day long. I don’t know if it was security or what the deal was, but it seemed a little odd. We didn’t go to the activity pool at all. Went to the Bellini Bar one night, drink was good but service was slow. My husband enjoyed the beach bar at the Royalton. He liked to sit there because it was shady. He was very pleased with the service from Luis. (I am not a name dropper and Luis certainly never asked to be mentioned but I feel that he is worth mentioning). He made my husband Caesar’s and kept my champagne glass filled 

We went to 2 evening shows at the Royalton. The Circus was very good, however it was held outside (due to the necessary equipment) and the problem is there was no place to sit. We had come from dinner and were dressed up so having to sit on the ground was a bit of a put off, not to mention uncomfortable. The performers were very talented. The other show we attended was the Magic Show. It was OK, but kind of lame.

The waterpark was awesome. This was one of the main reasons I choose this resort and it didn’t disappoint. The slides were great, the lifeguards take their jobs very seriously and we could always get 3 seats together. No line ups, no waiting for tubes, etc. The bar here only serves non-alcoholic drinks and there is a security guard at the entrance who will not let you in with alcohol (which is a great idea).

The beach was gorgeous. Very clean, no rocks or shells. Some days the water was calm other days it was fun jumping in the waves. On the wavy days there seemed to be more seaweed in the water close to the shore. There was a strong undertow as well so be careful. We didn’t see many fish, did some snorkeling further out and say a few but maybe we needed to go further. We always found 3 loungers together no matter what time of day, but rarely in the shade. There seemed to be some “chair saving” happening, but I think many times it was simply a case of people having left for the day and didn’t take their towels with them (there is no towel card, you can use as many as you like). A few times we saw employees clearing the towels off the chairs.

The Sunwing reps were around each day. I went to the welcome meeting the first day, I always like to do that and usually pick up a tidbit or two. I found it helpful and I did book an excursion – the Outback Safari half day (I tried to book PC Mike before I left but he was full). The 3 of us really enjoyed the trip and I would say my 11 year old learned more in those 4 hours than he would have in the 4 days of school he missed). We also did the free shopping tour. The van took us to a boutique called Nicole. There was jewelry on the main floor (I bought some Larimar earrings), cigars on the bottom floor (hubby bought some) and souvenirs on the top floor (DH bought some things). We were an hour and a half in the store – others have commented that this was too long, but for us it was perfect. Prices were reasonable and I was more comfortable with the quality of the jewelry. My only one complaint about the Sunwing rep was that I had told him the day before we left that we had booked a private transfer and would not be taking the bus in the morning. I even wrote my name and room number on his notepad. The next morning when we checked out the front desk told me that the bus has been waiting for us. I felt bad for the other passengers.

Room Tip: Not all rooms have queen or king beds as advertised.
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
10 Thank Haligonian08
Dear Haligonian08,

Firstly, we would like to thank you for spending your time sharing your experience at Memories Splash Punta Cana and thanks for giving us the esteemed opportunity of serving you during your stay in Punta Cana.

We would like to express our gratitude for your nice comments you made about your stay. It is always great to receive positive feedback on numerous aspects of the hotel, service and installations. It will be a pleasure to share them with the rest of the team.

We will be delighted to attend you in future if you come back to Punta Cana. We would like to see you again in our hotel Memories Splash Punta Cana as soon as possible.

Kind regards,

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 May 2014

This has been the best vacation ever!!! I highly recommend. It is a new resort, its only been open for six months. The staff that work there are all friendly and amazing. They are always happy, and welcoming. They will help you with any questions or concerns you have. The place is very very clean always. The cleaning service is great, they do a wonderful job. The food is always fresh and there is so much to choose from with the different restaurants. I never once had a bad meal!!!! The drinks are good as well. The pools, the beach and hot tubes were always clean, nice and relaxing. It was awesome! The entrainment and activities were great, they had traditional games that are always in the hotels but they had new ones too! At night time the shows were awesome, always a great night! They have awesome snack, coffee and ice cream shops! They snacks are fresh and good always. They have many shops in the resort, so theres no need to travel outside and the prices are good! They have a child club for parents that want some time alone, they have awesome indoor and outdoor activities. They have a teen clubs as well, they have amazing games for the teens to do, the staff Richard is really amazing with the teens! Very friendly and great with them. The best part is the water park! Its amazing for adults and children! The staff Cristian is really wonderful with the children, the park is so much fun! It is something new and different from other resorts. It was a nice getaway from the pool and beach. The room and bed was nice, the best was amazing to sleep in, the pillows were so comfortable! I will definitely go back there again!!!!!

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
3 Thank VanessaRosa2014
MauricioZarate, General Manager at Memories Splash Punta Cana, responded to this review, 15 May 2014
Dear VanessaRosa2014,

Firstly, the entire team of Royalton Punta Cana wants to thank you for sharing your positive experience with the rest of the TripAdvisor community.

We are really happy to read words as nice as yours. To know that our staff and service have exceeded your expectations encourages us to keep working day by day to maintain this proposal of high level that we want to achieve.

We will be glad to welcome you back again. We are at your disposal for anything you need.

New York City, New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 May 2014

2 resorts in one. You'll have access to Memories as well as the Royalton Punta Cana. Both resorts are very clean and have a modern look to them. The room is clean and has everything you need for the time you stay in the room. The service in the resort is quick and friendly. The pools are top notch but the beach is very short and while we were there a little rough. The food in the buffet was delicious and the buffet area itself was very nice and clean. They have a coffee/ice cream shop at the royalton side of the resort that makes amazing coffee. The water park is on the splash side and is very fun. The are a handful of slides which will keep you entertained for a while. The beach is a 5-10 min ride away from the splash area, or you can enjoy a little walk and check out all the resort has to offer. Overall its a very nice resort and would recommend to everyone

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends

Casa de Campo Resort & Villas
Grand Palladium Bavaro Suites Resort & Spa
Royalton Punta Cana Resort & Casino
Grand Palladium Palace Resort Spa & Casino

Been to Memories Splash Punta Cana? Share your experiences!