“Memories Splash”

GreenLeadersGold level
New York City, New York
“Memories Splash”
Reviewed 8 June 2014

My girl friend and I were at Memories Splash from May 30 to June 6. This a fairly well run place with pretensions to luxury that it does not meet. We had a package that gave us Diamond Club membership with a special place on the beach and a so-called "butler") . First the good things--the property is beautiful and well-maintained, the staff was generally pleasant with one major exception (which I will explain). The beach is not on the property but is a short walk to the sister hotel (the Royalton) which is a pleasant 10 minute walk. There is wifi throughout the property which mostly works. The pools are kept clean and there is no problem finding towels. We drank top shelf liquor because of our Diamond club membership. The bars were fine and the weather was perfect.

They do not refresh the mini-bar with liquor. You get a small bottle of Johnny Walker scotch, a small bottle of vodka and small bottle of rum. That will not be refreshed. They do however provide beer, water and soft drinks on a daily basis. The house keeping staff is excellent. The buffet was good for breakfast, and mediocre to good at dinner. The beach bar had decent lunch and drink choices. The specialty restaurants were bad--a boring menu at the Italian place and bad Mexican food at the Mexican place which we fed to a very hungry cat that was walking next to our table. The service was ridiculously slow; I suggest you stick with the buffet.

We never had a problem finding shade on the beach (the beach was wonderful) and the waiter service on the beach was excellent. We tried room service a few times and it was slow but not too bad.

Because of the Diamond Club membership we were assigned a "butler" one Lorenzo. We saw Lorenzo the first day and then he disappeared and was unreachable until the day before our last day. Aside from having his friends sell us a necklace, bracelet and earing set on our arrival (that had to be replaced immediately because it fell apart before the his seller friends left the property) this disappearing butler did nothing much. We asked him to do one thing--arrange for late check-out because we weren't getting picked up until 3 the next day, so we wanted to keep our room until 2:30. He assured us that he had accomplished this. Somehow the front desk wasn't told the plan. Imagine my anger when I received a call from one of the most obnoxious jerks I have ever dealt with at 1:00 to the effect that we had to give up the room immediately. I told him we were in no position to do so and that we were told that the room was ours until 2:30. He kept insisting, harassing me. We then told him we would leave as soon as we could but this apparently wasn't good enough for him. He kept calling. I then told him to take his insistence and put it where the sun doesn't shine among other things about his intelligence (the lack thereof, being my primary observation). He then called me an animal and I unplugged the phone. This resort with its incompetent butler and insulting front desk manager is not a luxury resort.

When we were ready to leave (and rush we did) we asked that they send a bell hop to get our bags. We thought they could at least do that but it took them a good 25 minutes and two more calls to do so (and they said they needed the room!!!)

Knuckleheads cannot provide luxury. If you want a luxurious resort go elsewhere.

I am giving the service a "poor" because of the front desk guy and the disappearing butler. Otherwise the service was good.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
9 Thank Peter W
MauricioZarate, General Manager at Memories Splash Punta Cana, responded to this review, 13 June 2014
Dear PAWNYC,

First of all we would like to thank you for giving us the esteemed opportunity of serving you during your stay in Memories Splash Punta Cana and for sharing your impressions on Trip advisor website.

As you know we believe it is only through listening carefully to the comments and suggestions of our customers, we will be able to achieve the constant improvement, guest satisfaction and quality service that we want. It is a big pleasure to read your wonderful comments that you have had about our team.

We are really sorry for your experience did not be thoroughly satisfactory and we promise to review and analyze all yours comments in order to not to repeat this kind of situation. Thank you very much for your feedback.

We will be delighted to attend you in future if you give us a second opportunity. We would like to see you again in our hotel Memories Splash Punta Cana as soon as possible.

Kind regards.

Royalton Punta Cana & Memories Splash

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,248)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
Bakersfield, California
Reviewed 8 June 2014

I never write reviews because people who complain about things that the hotel has no control over,like loud kids make me not want to. But since this is a considerable investment for most people,here's my two cents. We just we returned from a week at this place and I'll start with the good. The beach and the grounds were absolutely beautiful. This is a tropical paradise for sure. The rooms were o.k. Nothing to brag about but nothing to complain about either. I've stayed in better and I've definitely stayed in much worse. The staff were mostly helpful and friendly. At some times we had to be a little more proactive in asking for things that we normally wouldn't. For example,a few times i walked up to a bar and the bartender saw me and walked away. He came back a few minutes later and said, "oh,did you want something ?". Now for the bad. The food is down right awful. No matter where we ate the food is mediocre at the very best. If you wanted to take an evening swim in the pool, don't think about it. The pools and water park close at 6. Really??? I'm on vacation and can't take an evening swim? What place does that? We REALLY wanted to like this place but after 3 days of eating the horrible food i found myself dreading going to eat. Ultimately my recommendation for staying someplace comes down to one simple question...would i go back? Sadly because of the poor quality of the food i would not go back here. I would definitely go back to the Dominican republic but just try a different resort next time.

• Stayed June 2014
5 Thank edCarter96
Dear edCarter96,

We are very sorry that your holiday with us did not meet your expectations and we appreciate your constructive comments and thank you for having taken some of your valuable time to send to Trip Advisor your positive comments.

Your comments have been reported and they will be taken into account in the future. We will continue working to improve our services, as our top priority is to provide the best experience our guest.
We are at your complete disposal.
Kind regards.

Fort Lauderdale, Florida
Reviewed 7 June 2014

We (family of 6, twins of 5, a 4 year old and a 25 year old) have just returned home after staying at Memories for 6 nights. When we arrived we asked to be upgraded to the Diamond Club class (Presidential Jacuzzi Suite and Premium room) but there was a mix up in the rooms which our butler Franklin Rosario quickly took care. The location of the rooms was great block 7 and block 9. The water park is fantastic, really safe. There are about 8-10 big rides, a wave pool and also a kids area for under 7's which was great for our little ones, they had a blast. Word of caution it does get really slippery. The kids club is wonderful and organized. The kids really enjoyed and asked to go back. They were actually sad when we did not send them. The shuttle (aka juajua pronounced wawa) runs every couple of minutes around the hotel (in the Diamond Class you have access to vip shuttles) and down to the Royalton (the beach is at the Royalton) but it's no more than 10 minutes walk from the entrance to Memories, all the way down to the beach. We used the pools at the Royalton a couple of times, since we were upgraded to the Diamond Club class we had direct service on the beach, plenty of long chairs, beds, towels. This was a very nice perk. The beach is great and the kids body surfed. The sand is clean, the water super clear. Just beautiful! Another great thing is that you don't need to sign for beach towels like you do in lots of hotels, you just pick them up from any of the pools (or waterpark) and place them in the towel bins when finished. Drinks, where do I start?! You can have any cocktail you require, beer, wine, champagne etc, there is also an abundance of drinks the kids can have. Food: Selections is the buffet place in Memories, it's pretty good although it does feel a bit "Samey", the fruit juices at breakfast time are amazing. Maria at the front desk of Selections is always super happy to great you along with Juan. Under The Sea, Bella Trattoria (Italian rest.) is really good, The Mexican restaurant (forgot its name) is very average, we dined there just once and our food was dry and did not get my soup and salad. We dined twice in the in the Royalton, Hunter's and Opa which were great. Bites snack bar was good, a generic burger, hotdog type place. Beans cafe for coffee, ice cream etc was also great. Social Bar nice gathering place. Can't mention all the people who work there but each and every person was so genuinely helpful and nice it really did help with the experience, I never once had any issues . The work ethic is something I enjoy in Dominican Republic, they work tirelessly and have an infectious smile. Everyone from the gardeners to the maids to the waiters (Gustavo at Selections) to the chefs to the life guards all deserve high praise for their hard work. Although, I must add that I was extremely disappointed that our room (Presidential Jacuzzi Suite Diamond Class) was not being serviced on time, but once serviced it was always with a special touch. The Royalton has a great spa. We used it on three different occasion. The girls had their hair braded, I had my hair cut and styled and my husband and I had a couples massage> Our massage therapists, Daniela and Zuleiky, made sure we had a memorable experience. Highly recommend them! Highly recommend the spa. I wish I could remember their names (Jennifer and company what great employees). One special person needs to be praised/commended which made a huge difference during our trip, Franklin Rosario, our butler. He went out of his way to make sure everything was exactly our we wanted. Highly recommend Franklin! Thank you for the Memories!!

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank EtienneSylvie
Dear EtienneSylvie,

Firstly, we would like to thank you for spending your time sharing your experience at Memories Splash Punta Cana and thanks for giving us the esteemed opportunity of serving you during your stay in Punta Cana.

We would like to express our gratitude for your nice comments you made about your stay. It is always great to receive positive feedback on numerous aspects of the hotel, service and installations. It will be a pleasure to share them with the rest of the team.

We will be delighted to attend you in future if you come back to Punta Cana. We would like to see you again in our hotel Memories Splash Punta Cana as soon as possible.

Kind regards,

Cincinnati
Reviewed 7 June 2014

I will start with the good. We enjoyed the diamond club room for cocktails before dinner and the beach area for diamond club. I liked having a server on the beach and being able to order food. Rosa was sweet and attentive. We always found shade. The kids liked the water park and the quiet pool. The active pool was a little to rowdy for us. It reminded us of a frat party. The exterior was always being swept, cleaned or renovated. The room was cleaned daily.
The bad... The food is not good. They need to hire a culinary and pastry chef. Under the sea was the worse. The Mexican restaurant had good cheese quesadillas and the grazie Italian had good pizza. Just having a lot of food available, does not make it appetizing. I think I lost weight on this trip. Selections buffet was OK. A lot of choices but nothing stood out.
The ugly... When we arrived to check in, Luis told us if we paid extra we could be upgraded. I said the thing I wanted most was adjoining rooms, since we bought 2. He told me there weren't any available. So much for emailing and calling the hotel direct to make sure we would have them. I don't know how they decide who gets these rooms. Maybe they flip a coin in the morning. Anyway, he said he could show us a great room in building 8. It was alright, but now I am wondering how bad the original room had to be. We told him we were not going to pay an extra $120 for these rooms. Originally he started out at $240. He made a few calls and the room was comped. That's great, but we tipped him very well and never saw him again for the rest of our stay. It felt shady. He did not show us how to work the televisions or safe. He did not go over any activities or talk about the restaurants. He did not explain anything about putting the key card in the slot by the door to get lights or run the air conditioner. After he left we realized the refrigerator or TV did not work in one of the rooms. One of the bedside lights was burned out. We did not get robes and slippers or the diamond club menu. We did not receive any extras at all from this butler. Fiska and Rodvel were concerned when we complained and tried to make up for Luis not providing any service.
The reasons we might not return would be the lack of consistency in service. Also, you just don't know if your room request would ever be met. They really need security guards at the buildings. There was partying in the hallways at all hours of the night. There are no peepholes in the doors.
We liked the bubbles bar and the Bellini bar. If we had to choose a favorite restaurant it would be the mexican. (There are 2 darling cats that are skinny as can be that hang out there at night. Please give them a nibble if you have any food left)We consistently tipped. We took 100/1 dollar bills with us. We also took a beach bag, dirty clothes bag so the sand does not get in your suitcase and our own cups. There are going to be good and bad employees wherever you go so we tried not to let the not so good ones ruin our vacation. It was just the initial meeting with Luis that left us with a less than positive feeling.

Room Tip: Building 3 and 6 are by the quit pool . Building 8 and 9 are by the water park and closest to the be...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
5 Thank bootboy10
Dear bootboy10,

We would like to thank you for your preference in selecting Memories Splash Punta Cana for your vacation, as well for taking the time to tell us about your recent experience.

We are very sorry that you experience did not meet your expectations; please allow me to express our sincerest apologies. At Memories Splash Punta Cana, we continuously strive to meet your needs and expectations; therefore you feedback is very important to us. Your comments have been forwarded to the management of the hotel.

We appreciate the time you took to share your concerns and we hope to take the opportunity to serve you again.

Derby, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 June 2014

This complex was fantastic for the kids, staff couldn't do enough, we only had a week here which wasn't enough as the journey from Manchester was exhausting with a 3 and 7 year old and Dominican customs was a nightmare as Thomson travel had given us Dominican money and customs tax to get into punta Cana only accept American dollars which is $10 on arrival, $20 on departure per person, it took ages and is very hot in airport but when we finally arrived it was worth it.
Food was excellent plenty of restaurants to choose from Mexican, Italian, buffet, we really liked the under the sea themed one but all food was good, BBQ at poolside all afternoon, and lovely cake and coffee shop something for everyone even burger bar so great for kids. pools were fantastic loads of sunbeds free towels etc, waterpark was great too something for all ages but floor very very slippy! Beautiful gardens with plenty of wild life inc peacocks which my son loved to feed.
Beach was beautiful too pure white sands almost as perfect as the Maldives and always plenty of room not over crowded at all.
All in all a beautiful place to go and we thought memories splash was great value for money, the only complaint we had was puerto ricans they were very noisy and drunk, came in early hrs of morning and no respect shouting outside your room, rooms were not well soundproofed you could hear everything but to be fair to hotel they would move you but we couldn't be bothered to re pack but a lot of people did so if your not a party animal or have young kids just ask to be in a quiet block if you don't want to be up all hours! Rooms were small unless you pay for better room which is well worth it, all rooms are very clean as was the whole complex staff constanly cleaning and maintaining.
All in all holiday makers were mainly English and American when we were there and we made some great friends

Room Tip: Unless your a party animal ask for a quiet block or you'll be up all night with noisy guests! Al...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
5 Thank Claire P
Dear Claire P.,

Firstly, the entire team of Memories Splash Punta Cana wants to thank you for sharing your positive experience with the rest of the TripAdvisor community.

We are really happy to read words as nice as yours. To know that our staff and service have exceeded your expectations encourages us to keep working day by day to maintain this proposal of high level that we want to achieve.

We will be glad to welcome you back again. We are at your disposal for anything you need.
Kind Regards,

Ruddervoorde, West-Vlaanderen, Belgium
Reviewed 6 June 2014

Our holiday in January in the Memories Splash was amazing! it was like a dream holiday! we are used to travel several times per year to resorts , but this was really the best holiday ever!
it was so good that next week we are going back, this time we have booked the Royalton
We want to experience both hotels in the complex.
The restaurants were wonderfull, every evening we ate in the a la carte restaurants (mexican, italian, japanese, and many many times at the seafood restaurant)
I loved the lobster menu!
The complex was very clean!
The staff was really helpful and friendly! The most loved bartender is definately Carlos at the Social bar!
The cocktails at the Bellini bar were also very good! I tasted some new cocktails and they were so good!
At the beach you could get fresh coconuts! our son of 1 year loved it! for adults you can put some alcohol in it also ;-)
We are looking forward to another great holiday!

Room Tip: all rooms are good! in case you experience any little problem, alert the staff and they will fix i...
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Isabelle D
Dear Isabelle D.,

Thank you so much for sharing your experience at Memories Splash Punta Cana not only for your wonderful comments that you have had about our team, but also for taking the time to share your positive experience with the rest of the TripAdvisor community.

We are really glad to hear your comments about the impression of our hotel. Reading your comments help us to know that our decisions are in the good way to give our guests the best possible experience. Your comments about the attitude of the staff will be shared with the objective to motivate to continue with the best quality and guest satisfaction.

We hope you visit us again and of course we will be very pleased to welcome you.
Best greetings,

Reviewed 5 June 2014

Excellent hotel, excellent employees. Special thanks to Pablo, the waiter at the main buffet restaurant. Very polite, professional and kind. One of the places to be in Dominican Republic. Do not even hesitate if what you saw on the pictures impressed you. On site, we managed to save our vacations, when we decided to switch of hotel and moved to Memories Splash.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Reinaldo F
MauricioZarate, General Manager at Memories Splash Punta Cana, responded to this review, 6 June 2014
Dear Reinaldo F.,

First of all, thank you so much for selecting Memories Splash Punta Cana for your holidays, it is a big pleasure to read this wonderful opinion about our hotel. And of course, thanks for sharing it on Trip Advisor.

We are very proud to know that your last experience at Memories Splash Punta Cana exceeded your expectations. As you know our principal goal is to give you our best service, make your vacation exclusive and unforgettable. Your comments will help us with our continuing effort to assure our Guest Satisfaction.

We hope you visit us again in the near future. We will be very pleased to welcome you.
Kind Regards,

Alsol Luxury Village
#86 of 112 in Punta Cana
Royalton Punta Cana Resort & Casino
Grand Bahia Principe La Romana

Been to Memories Splash Punta Cana? Share your experiences!