“Great place for a honeymoon”

Memories Splash Punta Cana
Ranked #33 of 112 Hotels in Punta Cana
GreenLeadersGold level
Farmingdale, New York
“Great place for a honeymoon”
Reviewed 14 June 2014

Let me start this review by saying I've never been to a resort before -- in fact, I've never even left the United States before -- so I can't tell you how this place compares to other places. But if you're like me, when you're going on vacation you really just want the lowest-priced place that doesn't have terrible reviews. You, not resort veterans, are my audience.

My wife & I stayed here for our belated honeymoon. We found a LivingSocial deal that gave us an all-inclusive week at Memories with the Diamond Club package and an excursion discount included, via Apple Vacations. When we arrived, we met our butler Lorenzo, who was very helpful. He gave us a brief tour of the resort and explained most of the important details, like the fact that we can use the facilities at the Royalton, their sister resort. He also helped us make dinner reservations and left a few nice surprises in our room. I'm actually not sure which amenities were part of the Diamond Club package, which ones were provided by Lorenzo, and which ones were just standard fare for the resort, so I can't really give a specific rundown of who was responsible for how well we were treated. But I do know that when we discussed things with Lorenzo, we felt confident that they would be taken care of. Whereas sometimes when we talked to other staff at the resort, it wasn't clear whether they really understood us or would help us.

Back to the resort itself, our room was very nice, with a balcony overlooking the main pool area. My only real complaint is that the air conditioning was excessive, even after turning the thermostat all the way up. At least, I *think* I turned it all the way up, but there were no instructions for how to use the thermostat, so maybe there was a way to fix it. International calling also didn't work for a large portion of our trip. We asked the staff to look into it about 3 times, but we never heard back from anyone about it. However, one day it magically started working, so I guess they must have fixed it at some point.

The restaurants were, for the most part, very good. The main problem was inconsistency. We did our first three nights of dinner at the three main restaurants on the resort: the seafood place, the Mexican place, and the Italian place. Those first three nights, our food was absolutely amazing. But when we went back to all of those places a second time for the next three nights, there was definitely a decline in the quality of both the food and the service. It was by no means terrible, but certain items clearly weren't quite as fresh. I got the sense that everything is still a work in progress (the resort hasn't been around that long) -- for example, the second time we went to the Italian place, they had completely reworked the way the appetizers are set up and the waiters had different uniforms.

We didn't go to any of the Royalton restaurants for dinner, since there's an extra charge of $15 per person. (We originally planned to, but after the excursions and all the people we wanted to tip, we needed to spare every dollar.) We did go to the Selections buffet every morning for breakfast, and then once for lunch and dinner toward the end of our stay. We were actually quite impressed by the dinner buffet, which even had a little sushi bar! The breakfast buffet was decent enough, but definitely suffered from the same consistency issues as the restaurants. Then again, it's a buffet, so naturally the freshness of the food is going to depend on when you go up to the line. Still, some days it was almost impossible to get the waiters to give us coffee. We actually would've preferred just being able to get it ourselves.

But I don't want to dwell on the negatives, because really, the all-inclusive package is still a good deal even if the food isn't always perfect. The facility as a whole is very nice, modern-looking, and well-maintained. There are pools everywhere, and open bars everywhere, including the pools! The two main pools are the "relaxation pool" and the "party pool", to fit whatever vibe you're looking for. And obviously, there's the beach. To get to the beach you have to walk all the way through the Royalton, which I suppose some would consider a hassle. Personally, we love walking, so we didn't mind. There is also an ever-present trolley that takes you to the Royalton entrance if you need it. There's also a water park, which has basically every kind of water slide you could want, as well as a wave pool. That IS basically it, though -- there isn't a lazy river or anything like that -- so if you plan a whole day at the water park, you may run out of things to do pretty quickly.

But as I mention all of these pools and beaches, I do need to point out one more downside: almost every area of the resort is paved with some sort of white stone tile, which gets VERY slippery when wet. And it's everywhere! One night when we were there it rained, and from what we heard, the resort doctor was up all night treating people for injuries they sustained by slipping on the tile. And it only rained briefly -- I can only imagine how this would be during a more typical rainy season in Punta Cana.

Anyway, back to the beach. As expected, it was absolutely beautiful. Not a lot to say beyond that. For Diamond Club members, there is an exclusive beach bar, which actually probably has the best food you'll find on the resort. We had a burger there which was much better than the burger we had at the Memories burger joint, and a salmon wrap which was to die for. They also have all the "top-shelf" liquors there, but to be honest, I don't really know the difference.

Compared to the Royalton, Memories definitely has a more kid-friendly, "fun" vibe. So you should take that into consideration when deciding which part of the resort you want to go to. We actually didn't realize there was a list of activities in the information package we got when we checked in, and it took us a while to discover that most of the "night life" happens at the Royalton, whereas most of the nighttime activities at Memories are strictly for kids. If you want live music, dancing, and such, you might be more inclined to stay at the Royalton. Fortunately, you can still enjoy both resorts either way; you just have to remember that what you're looking for may be on the other side.

Overall, while I certainly feel there are improvements to be made, we had a great time here. I was tempted to rate the resort "Average" because my review seems to have a lot of criticisms, but few of those criticisms actually had any impact on how much we enjoyed ourselves. So I'm bumping it up to "Very Good".

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Aaron S
MauricioZarate, General Manager at Memories Splash Punta Cana, responded to this review, 18 June 2014
Dear Aaron S.,

Firstly, thank you so much for selecting Memories Splash Punta Cana for your holidays and thank you for having taken some of your valuable time to send to Trip Advisor your positive comments.

Your constructive and criticism comments have been reported and they will be taken into account in the future. We will continue working to improve our services, as our top priority is to provide the best experience our guest.

We are at your complete disposal.
Kind regards,

Royalton Punta Cana & Memories Splash

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,265)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
Reviewed 13 June 2014 via mobile

We had a great time in this hotel. The place is awesome! Excellent facilities and excellent service, especially SUPER CARLOS, the bartender in one of the bars. It was the first time for the others who were with me to visit Dominican Republic, and they are impressed with the pools, the parks, the food and everything in this hotel. I would definitely repeat the visit!

Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Denisse D
Dear Denisse D.,

Firstly, the entire team of Memories Splash Punta Cana wants to thank you for sharing your positive experience with the rest of the TripAdvisor community.

We are really happy to read words as nice as yours. To know that our staff and service have exceeded your expectations encourages us to keep working day by day to maintain this proposal of high level that we want to achieve.

We will be glad to welcome you back again. We are at your disposal for anything you need.

Reviewed 13 June 2014

The hole staff was excellent!! From Juan my favorite bar tender and Victor. To the bell boy Rogelio. They treated you like royalty! And it was absolutely paradise!! We went on an excursion and Faulsto #2 was the guide to the blue lagoon. He treated us like family and explained every thing in wonderful detail. From the natives and how and why it was called Punta Cana. We loved it so much we bringing the kids next year.

• Stayed May 2014
2 Thank TheFatRanger
MauricioZarate, General Manager at Memories Splash Punta Cana, responded to this review, 13 June 2014
Dear TheFatRanger,

Firstly, we would like to thank you for spending your time sharing your experience at Memories Splash Punta Cana and thanks for giving us the esteemed opportunity of serving you during your stay in Punta Cana.

We would like to express our gratitude for your nice comments you made about your stay. It is always great to receive positive feedback on numerous aspects of the hotel, service and installations. It will be a pleasure to share them with the rest of the team.

We will be delighted to attend you in future if you come back to Punta Cana. We would like to see you again in our hotel Memories Splash Punta Cana as soon as possible.

Kind regards,

Sunny Saltcoats, Ayrshire, Scotland
Reviewed 13 June 2014

After a few years of the hard living holiday that is Ibiza and the constant clubbing that goes with it my partner and I promised each other that we would have a relaxing holiday this year, we had originally planned to go to the sister hotel The Royalton but be the time we got round to booking our holiday that was fully booked so we went for Memories Splash instead as I'm sure you are aware you can use most of the royalton facilities anyway!

As we had originally planned to spend a bit more on the royalton we decided to use the extra cash on the diamond club upgrade, this turned out to be our best decision of our holiday! Diamond club meant we got assigned a butler, Rodvel, I cannot stress enough how good Rodvel was, everyday without fail he checked up on us, either in person or via whatsapp, he made sure we had all our reservations for dinner made, he would also surprise us with gifts like chocolates or fresh fruit left in the room and even would have our jacquzzi filled up with bubbles and "I love you" message in rose petals some nights when we returned to out room! Gracias Rodvel for this as it helped make our holday great! I'll be keeping in touch via whatsapp whether he knows it or not haha.

For anyone trying to decide to go diamond club or not in my opinion it is a must! Dedicated chilled out check in (and late check out). The ability to be able to make reservations so you can dine out at a time that suits you, we forgot to make reservations one night and had a bit of wait so I liked being able to choose on our terms when we could dine. Also the diamond club area of the beach is amazing! Drinks brought over without having to be asked by Rosa and looked after by Fernando. You can also order food at the diamond club beach bar! There was plenty of sun loungers, cabana beds and shade at all times on the diamond club beach bar, not to mention premium drinks down here as well, we spent most days down there!

Restaurants where nice too, our favourite being hunters steakhouse, the steaks where done to perfection, we also enjoyed the show at the Japanese restaurant, these are royalton a la cartes so memories guests pay $15 per person premium, all 3 a la cartes in memories where also enjoyable though however the selections buffet is not, that was the worst place to eat during or stay. Shout out to the sports bar & the trattoria over at royalton for lunches!

Really enjoyed the water park, the staff there do a great job butit is quite slippy when wet so do watch yourself and don't run!

We met loads of nice people here from all around the world which was also good and those crazy Puerto Ricans know how to party haha

The shows where of a good standard and we really enjoyed the white party on Wednesday nights! Although you neded to go to the royalton for the entertainment the bus/train really does pass every couple of minutes! Carlos at the social bar in memories is entertainment enough there too! The only excursion we done was to Imagine nightclub which was a really good night, $60 each for transport, entry and free bar, we had a great night here and an epic hangover the next day too :)

The one complaint I did have was beforehand I had contacted Mayra Veras via Facebook to request building 9 and was advised that the request had been added to our booking, this was not the case and we got building 5 but we never let that bother us too much and just got on with the holiday.

The staff here are great, as well as those mentioned I would like to point out Victor at the busy pool at memories and Ismael at under the sea! Apologies to anyone I forgot, please bring some $1 and tip the staff as they really deserve it and appreciate it!

Now need to try and get back into real life after this great holiday!

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
5 Thank rickimcc78
Dear rickimcc78,

We would like to thank you personally for sharing on TripAdvisor your kind feedback about your stay at Memories Splash Punta Cana.

We appreciate to hear that we have been able to meet your expectations and that our location and facilities have contributed to a wonderful holiday in our hotel. It is a great pleasure to read how much you have enjoyed our resort.

We hope to have you back soon enjoying Memories Splash Punta Cana.

Edinburgh, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 June 2014

The water park @ this hotel is excellent we went there in June we stayed in the royalton however memory's splash is a very good hotel its there sister hotel.The staff there are nice to we loved the Dominican and hope to be back soon.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Stevie J
Dear Stevie J.,

Madisonville, Kentucky
Reviewed 12 June 2014

We won't go back! We won't go back to Memories OR to Dominican. We booked our vacation through Vacation Express. The Vacation Express end is fine- no issues- easy booking, easy travel. As for the resort..Theres good and bad to my review, but it's no where near a 4+ star resort. A very good/accurate review is the one recently posted by "Cy C". I have very little to add...but,
Where do I start: Very very expensive vacation that's all inclusive. But they money you to death for tips and souviners. If you don't leave a tip AS SOON AS YOU SIT DOWN, your service is terrible. You have to wait forever to get a table unless you have a reservation, and who wants a reservation at 6pm on vacation??? The mexican resturant was probably the best food, but the service was beyond terrible! The drinks are terrible, gross juice for the drinks, and unless you are diamond club, and have to walk to kingdom come to get premium liquor, the liquor is below average!
We had a presidential suite to accomodate the kids b/c the family rooms with bunks were booked for the week. The room was nice and spacious on ground floor of building 9, which ended up being perfect location- after being moved an hour after unpacking on our first night because of a problem with the room (though we'd seen no problems). Moving us to the ground floor ended up being a perk even with the trouble of packing back up and moving 3 flights down at 10pm at night. Our new room drain in the shower wouldn't drain and it flooded the bathroom every shower, which meant we'd use every towel in the room and wait forever for more towels.
The puerto ricans that take over for 2-4 days at a time for short holidays are loud and rude. They are so loud and drunk you can't even sit by the pool and let the kids play. They were treated like royalty and always served first at the bars regardless of how long we stood waiting.
The kids ended up sick from the bacteria in the water at the waterpark and pools. They must not have very high standards as to treatment of water. We had to visit the Dr. on premises which stated she'd seen 20+ kids with same sickness(es). $225 USD to visit her for antibiotics.
The activiity pool is falling apart. The water is nasty and you can see the filth floating in it. By midweek, I refused to get into the pool. However, the bubble (quiet) pool was very nice and the bartender was super nice and attentive. It was just a nice walk away from building 9.
You can you use the resturants at the royalton for a fee of 15 bucks per head! The japanese at the Royalton is good. I think it's ridiculous that royalton guests can eat at memories for free, but memories guests have to pay at royalton. The buffet at the royalton for breakfast and lunch was included for memories guests with no extra fee, and it was MUCH better than the buffet at Memories.
We hung out at the royalton several days and it's MUCH nicer! The beach was nice but nothing like our favorite...the bahamas. The water was very rough.
I didn't think the diamond upgrade was worth the $. You had to really go out of your way to use the perks of it. We had a "butler" and he was super nice, but the extra money didn't warrant him. He made reservations for us, so we didn't have to wait for a table, but we never could get a decent time, like 7:30pm or later....He made sure we had plenty of bottle water in the room ...but other than that, I really don't see the point. To use diamond club area of the beach and the beach diamond bar, it was far left on the beach and after walking all the distance from Memories OR from the tram stop at royalton, it is not worth it.
Best day of the trip was excursion day- Caribbean Festival/Stingray bay. The vacation express rep gave us kids free, so it was only $200 for 4 of us, which was very much worth the money! After a very frustrating week, the kids didn't even enjoy this trip due to mass crowds that were rude from PR, we were leaving DR and in the airport sending our carry-ons through xray...my husband had the kids favorite football in the carryon (no one told us we couldn't have a stinkin' football in the carryon , as this is not a problem in the US), the security guy at the airport told my husband he could keep it if he'd give him $10 USD. I was SO upset! I didn't want him to pay him, just for the principal, I'd rather us BUY a new one back home, but the kids were upset so my husband paid it. I think this is so corrupt! After a week of being moneied to death for TIPS, I was furious at this act! It was the last straw for me and I won't even try another resort in DR.
If we were to go back, we would chose the Royalton only between the 2. I picked Memories b/c of the waterpark. That looked like so much fun for the kids. But when the kids ended up with bacteria illnesses from the water there, they didn't get to use it again until the end of the trip. They lifeguards are very strict there, and if you aren't of exact height requirements, you can't use it.
I feel like I could go on and on about the things I disliked about this place...but the more I type, the more frustrated I become. I just wouldn't recommend it to anyone! Save your money!

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
7 Thank Laura T
MauricioZarate, General Manager at Memories Splash Punta Cana, responded to this review, 22 October 2014
Dear Laura T,

We are at your complete disposal.

Kind regards.

Manchester, New Hampshire
Reviewed 12 June 2014

Our family stayed at Memories 4/28-5/12. We have been to Dominican Republic numerous times and have stayed in different places - anywhere from your average resort like Barcelo Bavaro to very high-end Casa de Campo. We know what to expect from DR and have learned to lower our expectations a bit in general when travelling here: mediocre airport and transportation, locally established and detached from reality 4-start property ratings, widespread slow customer service and pushy vendors - its all part of the experience here...
Memories was a pleasant surprise and what made it wonderful for us was its symbiotic relationship with Royalton next to it and the water park on premises. In short, Memories offers good value, nice grounds, unusually friendly and attentive staff. Waterpark is absolutely great if you have kids - it will keep them busy and our 4 and 1.5 year old loved it. It was worth upgrading to Diamond Club, which gave us full access to all the facilities at Royalton including the restaurants and upscale beach area. Upon your arrival, I strongly recommend asking for Luis from Diamond Club - he will explain all the options to help you figure out if the upgrade is worth it for you. Luis was a great help to us during the stay and it was absolutely amazing guy to deal with! Overall Memories team is doing a great job - everyone we came in contact with during our stay were very pleasant and friendly. Bella and Jesus from the Kids Club took good care of our kids and made our stay more pleasant. Overall a great place with a very reasonoable rate. Once thing that I would like to see change is to reduce the number of dudes lurking in residence buildings trying to sell time-share. They swear its not time-share and call it something We really enjoyed our stay and will try to make it back here at some point!

Room Tip: Stay in buildings 7 or 8 - they are recently remodeled and are in good, convenient location. These r...