“Waterpark is this resorts plus.”

Memories Splash Punta Cana
Ranked #32 of 113 Hotels in Punta Cana
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed 17 June 2014

The resort as a whole was pretty good, some what above average but not excellent. We booked through vacationstogo.com and transfers were included with our booking. Being the last flight in I thought sharing a transfer would be fine, however we waited for over an hour in the shuttle van for other passengers who on our same flight were missing luggage then had multiple resorts to drop off at. Being the last flight in that night, the luggage wasn't coming until the next morning so I'm not sure what the hold up was- AA will have it delivered at the hotel for you the next morning. So first of all if you want to arrive at your hotel in a expedited manner spend the money and book your own transportation its only a 20-25 minute ride. We finally arrived late around 1100PM to our hotel after arriving in Punta Cana at 857PM. Check in was fairly quick, no issues there.
ROOM/GROUNDS: I had requested and called ahead to be sure we had a roll away bed on our reservation ad requested and confirmed by our vacationstogo rep, as well as having sent guest services a msg via Facebook and was told it was in our reservation...entering the room we were stunned to find no roll away 3 very tired kids and one with no bed. I called the front desk which I had just left from and Roberto assured me it would be right there...another call and an hour later 2 gentlemen showed up with a full size mattress...no roll away. I dont get it...its on the reservation right? mattress/roll away bed, what the confusion?? No blankets for the bunk beds, not on the bed not in the closet! again the booking shows 5 people why have bedding for 2? The family suite was fine for us as far as room for sleeping arrangements but the kids would have liked to have a TV in their area. But we werent in the room much so that wasnt a huge deal. The other issue was the open bathroom...big open window type space above the tub which opened into the main bedroom and if the patio curtains weren't drawn one could see all the way from getting out of the shower through the bathroom, through the bedroom and through the kids room out the patio doors and people can see in just as well. Very poor design for a family suite especially when you have children of varying ages and a 16yr old son who sure doesn't want to see him mom get out of the shower! they should at least give the option for accordian shutters that can close or drapes to close if desired. And there are very few places to hang towels or bathing suites, it was the craziest thing to be lacking at a beach resort! we would have saved our towels to use again and conserve water but had no where to hang them and wet suits of 5 family members. The bed in our family suite was extremely hard...not even comfortable in the slightest!! And the maid service was hit and miss even with "por favor servicio" sign on the door. We were in building 5 which was right by the quiet pool and we liked the location 1-6 will be quiet. 7& 8 will be noisy and part of building 9 but the far end is located right across from the waterpark and is quiet as well. The property was very nice and well kept, never saw any trash laying around very few bugs. I would recommend putting a towel rolled up between the door to your room and floor to keep flies from coming in as well as a buffer from the noisy echoing hallways.(we had a few flies around) there are "building guest service" people who sit at a desk in the buildings, these people are there to attempt to get you to sit in on a time share presentation at the Royalton, not a big issue but after telling him I would talk to my husband and get back to him when we left for dinner he calls the room a bit later. so that in itself made me say no we aren't interested. Possibly would have but when someone is bugging me I will say no.
FOOD: being a family who loves a good breakfast we were very disappointed in the ONE choice for breakfast "Selections" buffet. It was very crowded, Stuffy , and food was very average. The only really fresh hot item was if you waited for 20 minutes in the omelet station line for omelet or a fried egg. The other Restaurants were very good, however my husband had an upset stomach one night/next AM and my 16 yr old had to run to the bathroom one night after eating but the strange thing is that at least 2 of us ate the same things or shared every night. The tap water is not drinkable and I wonder if maybe it was ice which I think would have been filtered but who knows. They do give you bottled water everywhere you go which is nice and sometimes its partially frozen which is great when out in the hot sun! We ate at all the restaurants once and at under the sea twice and went to Royalton to Zen the hibachi grill/sushi restaurant one night. its an extra charge of $15 per adult $10 for kids. Lunch was either the selections buffet which we avoided, or the Grazie Tratoria buffet at lunch as we were over at the beach around that lunch time and it was really pretty good. There is a snack bar Bites that has paninis, and slider burgers fries during the day, as well as a coffee/ice cream shop next door to it. My kids frequented that place!
POOLS/WATERPARK/BEACH: The water park was excellent, my kids had a lot of fun as did we my legs were tired from climbing the stairs to the top so much. I read reviews about the wet tiles being slippery and they definately are, even when jus walking. I saw one lady fall very hard simply walking! I talked to my kids about not running and they were cautious and never fell. Parents need to take some responsibility here and talk to the kids! I agree that tiles in the pool/waterpark areas wasn't a smart design but it could be remedied by possible applying a no slip/skid to the tiles. We wondered where all the spanish speaking guests were from because there were a ton(id say 75%) but we learned that residents of Puerto Rico fly over to Punta Cana because its a short inexpensive flight and they do not have all inclusives in P.R. It seemed to us that the resort catered to the visitors from Puerto Rico more than anything else with the music playing through out only in spanish, and allowing very loud disruptive behavior late late into night. There should be some monitoring in the buildings after 10PM or so. Its amazing how some people are so inconsiderate of others. Not being right on the beach was a NON issue so dont let that detour you from staying here as the trollies are very convenient takes 2 minutes to ride down road to The Royalton, or a 5-7 minute walk depending on where you start from. The beach area was nice and clean and we never had a problem finding lounge chairs or even the thatched umbrellas for shade. the beach is divided by Royalton guests and Memories as far as the lounge chairs go but not a big deal at all. the water park at Memories was excellent...the only thing missing is a lazy river but I was looking around an not sure where it could go BUT it has 7 great slides and a wave pool as well as a small section for younger kids. The pools were very nice and clean but close early at 7PM...my kids wanted to swim at night but unfortunately it wasn't allowed.
EXCURSIONS: We went on 1 excursion w/ ocean adventures the" Caribbean festival" I booked it through guest svc desk w/ Nexus rep Rafael at the Royalton since the Nexus Rep for memories wasn't in that day. the cost is $104 adults and $50 per kids. they initially said 1 kids free then when I said wow that seems high and I'm not so sure i can pay that he said oh wait for this excursion both kids free. Another family we met got both their kids fro free too but kids over 12 are considered adults. ....it was amazing & worth the $312! . great family fun and once in a life time experience...of course unless you purchase another excursion where you swim w/ nurse sharks and handle sting rays and snorkel.
Good vacation overall, I am not rating it below average because there were positives but we feel strongly that several little changes could make it much much better and would decrease most bad reviews. So Memories staff take notes:
1-More hooks/towel racks to hang wet clothes/towels
2-Closure between tub and rooms for optional privacy, if not in all then especially in family suites
3-Improvement to buffet breakfast / add another restaurant w/ a la cart made to order options/ or allow guests to eat at Royalton for breakfast.
4-Replace mattress's w/ a luxury mattress or topper on the main bed.
5-Play a variety of music to please all guests.
6-Ask guests at check in if they are interested in the Time Share Presentation...if not mark them off the list so they are not bothered with this.

We have been to many all inclusives on 6 different Caribbean islands and have a lot to compare this resort to and I realize that can be good and bad. If you are planning on traveling and have never been to an all inclusive you will love Memories Splash, and even if you have been elsewhere you may love it if you go knowing certain things. With the waterpark being as great as it already is ...If this resort would step it up a bit with the few changes it would be really great and give the beaches properties a run for their money.(we have been to 2 beaches properties and I can say Memories water park is a notch above!) A comfortable bed after a long day in the sun would be a great place to start!

Room Tip: buildings 1-6 are away from the loud pool...if you want it quiet during day to nap or something and...
6  Thank smbraggs
MauricioZarate, General Manager at Memories Splash Punta Cana, responded to this reviewResponded 22 October 2014

Dear smbraggs,

Firstly, the entire team of Memories Splash Punta Cana wants to thank you for sharing your experience with the rest of the Trip advisor community.

Thank you very much for you constructive and criticism comments. Do not hesitate that we will take good note about them in order to keep improving our service, ensuring a good quality service and guest satisfaction. We are really sorry for your experience did not be thoroughly satisfactory and we promise to review, analyze all yours comments in order to not to repeat this kind of situation.

We will be delighted to attend you in future if you give us a second opportunity. We would like to see you again in our hotel Memories Splash Punta Cana as soon as possible.

Royalton Punta Cana & Memories Splash

Write a ReviewReviews (8,383)

Reviewed 16 June 2014

We just got back from an 8 days and 7 night stay in Punta Cana’s Memories Splash Hotel and Resort that our travel agent booked through e-vacations. It was amazing, had to take a couple of those days to relax, there is so much to do, so much to see. From the moment we hit the airport to the moment we left the people were nice and attentive with us and they showed a sincere interest in wanting to help you. Dominicans can show you their country with pride and make you feel welcome. We were bused from the airport to the hotel in a nice bus. As we arrived at the hotel we were greeted with refreshments and our rooms were all set up. One of the things we did not like from this process was that they put us in a double full-size bed room. We requested a room with a single bigger bed but they were not able to find one. The other thing was that we were “sequestered” by Iberia Services, this company books tours and attractions, I don’t know if they are affiliated with e-vacations but they told us that the tours were better through them. Don’t be fooled by this pitch, there are better services and other companies in the hotels that offer other tours, we even thought that the other companies were better, a little more price but worth it. Don’t deal with Iberia Services, their customer service is lacking. We went on the Pirate Ship excursion and were told that for a 28 dollar upgrade we would have food and drink. Beer, rum and a little box with 5 to 6 nacho chips and about a tablespoon of cheese, not worth 28 dollars. We complained about it and wasted 3 days in the process. We tried their supervisors but they wanted to protect their buddies. The Staff at the restaurants and bars are great. If you go to Under the Sea restaurant look for Victor, he’s an awesome waiter that will take care of you, Pool side Bartenders Wilfrido and Gustavo work very hard to please your drinking needs. The experience was excellent and Nexus Tours made up for the Iberia Services blunder, look for Mr. Regalado at the Nexus’ desk in the hotel lobby he’ll take care of you…..

Room Tip: Higher rooms A/c units don't work as well
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank 1300vstar
MauricioZarate, General Manager at Memories Splash Punta Cana, responded to this reviewResponded 18 June 2014

Dear 1300vstar,

Firstly, thank you so much for selecting Memories Splash Punta Cana for your holidays and thank you for having taken some of your valuable time to send to Trip Advisor your positive comments.
Your constructive and criticism comments have been reported and they will be taken into account in the future. We will continue working to improve our services, as our top priority is to provide the best experience our guest.

We are at your complete disposal.

Reviewed 15 June 2014

Just got back from spending a week at this hotel and it was an amazing experience! I can't say enough about the service we received from the entire staff. Our butler Lorezno was beyond AMAZING… he really made us feel special and took care of our every need.. he was available daily and went over and beyond.. we truly feel like we have a made a friend in D.R… the diamond club service was worth it… Louis in Diamond Club was also great as he filled in for Lorenzo during the day and his attention to detail and caring ways made it a pleasure!

Another staff member we enjoyed meeting was Hector the restaurant and bar manaager.. WOW is all we have to say, he greeted us daily and made us feel llike a guest in his own home. He was sure to find out how everything was and showed a caring spirit daily. He is a hard worker and really made us feel like a VIP..

The food we loved was the Japanese restaurant! We also enjoyed the Italian restaurant was a great experience and service from Jaboio…

Under the Sea was good, not great but the service from Rafael was GREAT, he was just terrific.

The buffet was okay, would have liked to see more DR food.. The serice from Pablo and Alfredo was awesome, they were great and got us what we needed. My son wanted chicken fingers and Alfredo went in the back and had the chef make him some, that was so thoughtful and appreciated. Pablo made me a special drink and was so sweet to us.

My son never liked kids clubs but he LOVED THIS ONE. We can't say enough about how sweet Bella was.. She had such energy and made my son feel so welcome he really loved spending some time there. She really should be commened for her dedication and love for her job.

There were so many more people we would like to say like Nelson at the Bar in Royalton and
Victor at the pool bar at Memories.. they were so Awesome and made us great drinks daily.

Some comments for improvement would be the slow motion doors for the guest rooms the slamming doors woke us up a lot this would be a great addition to the rooms.
Another area for improvement is adding a shelf in the shower, there was no where to put any products while you were in the shower this was a pain.
The AC did not work really well, was ok just not great.
Warming is the tile at the poool and water park… very slippery would suggest adding some strips to the floor my son fell twice.

Better lighting in the bathroom is needed and close up mirrors.

The waterpark was a blast and the entire staff at the park is amazing. They care about the guests safety and always had a smile on their face.

We can't wait to return and visit our extended family of staff at Memories. The management should be proud of the staff they have. We travel all over the carribbean and never encountred the type of caring and loving staff as we did at this hotel. We will return for sure and we will be sure to stay their again.

Thanks again to Lorenzo for making our vacation, one to remember for a lifetime… you have a true gem in him.

Thanks
Taylor Family

Room Tip: we were in building 7 was a great location close to everything
4  Thank catandtony

Dear catandtony,

Thank you so much for sharing your experience at Memories Splash Punta Cana not only for your wonderful comments that you have had about our team, but also for taking the time to share your positive experience with the rest of the TripAdvisor community.

We are really glad to hear your comments about the impression of our hotel. Reading your comments help us to know that our decisions are in the good way to give our guests the best possible experience. Your comments about the attitude of the staff will be shared with the objective to motivate to continue with the best quality and guest satisfaction.

We hope you visit us again and of course we will be very pleased to welcome you.
Best greetings,

Reviewed 14 June 2014

stayed her at memories from june 2- 9 with a group of 11 been to DR before but not this resort the rooms were ok and the property was beauiful food was just ok wings are great at the sports bar at the royalton which is one of the places you can eat at on the royalton side the beach is beaulful but it is also on the royalton side the water park is great for young and old if i would to go again i would stay at the royalton its much nicer and so much more to do one other thing is they only play spanish all day long everyone is not spanish that come to this resort over all it was a good vacation but here is the bad part left my camera in the room the day i left just so happen one of my friends was staying on for a few more day wasnt out he room no more than 4 or 5 hours and my friend went to the front desk to see if someone could go see if it was there told them it was left in the night table and which one they say the good thing was no one had checked in the room and they would look into it hours went by and and than they was giving my friend the run around told him to check back the next day by than they said someonr check in and the camera wasnt there sounds very fishie to me im saying they took it i sent a email to the resort and no one even resoped back to it i took thing off my back to give to them damn people and they couldnt even be honest and gave back the camer hope you enjoy it

3  Thank rhonda w

Dear rhonda w.,

Kind regards

Reviewed 14 June 2014 via mobile

Fabulous place to stay. Scooby was my favorite person there. He made me laugh, which is what I wanted for a vacation...fun. Happy Face kept us informed and made sure we didn't miss anything. What a lovely person she is. Thanks to all. Beautiful surroundings and clean. I will be back.

Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank aprilarm

Dear aprilarm,

Firstly, the entire team of Memories Splash Punta Cana wants to thank you for sharing your positive experience with the rest of the TripAdvisor community.

We are really happy to read words as nice as yours. To know that our staff and service have exceeded your expectations encourages us to keep working day by day to maintain this proposal of high level that we want to achieve.

We will be glad to welcome you back again. We are at your disposal for anything you need.
Kind Regards,

Reviewed 14 June 2014

Food was really good, I'm fussy, and at all the resturants I asked for steak and fries and I got exactly what I asked for. Only the Italian at memories didn't do a steak on the menu I just had a kids chicken strips and fries.

Burger bar bites did superb burgers. Usually a queue at midday.

Sports bar at royalton, serves food from midday till 10pm and is usually empty unless there is a game on. Lovely chicken fingers with a honey and mustard dip. Lovely and ice cool in here.

We stayed in block 7. But we used the bubbles pool, as this was empty. Could always get a seat at the swim up bar and loads on sun loungers available and no loud music played.

Room was lovely. Loads of tv channels. Walk in shower a bit slippy as water just sat on top of tiles.

Didn't feel the need to tip as same service, and didn't think we would benefit. (I'm quite stingy).

Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Adrian55ws

Dear Adrian55ws,

We would like to thank you personally for sharing on TripAdvisor your kind feedback about your stay at Memories Splash Punta Cana.

We appreciate to hear that we have been able to meet your expectations and that our location, staff and facilities have contributed to a wonderful holiday in our hotel. It is a great pleasure to read how much you are enjoying our resort.

We hope you keep having a great time in your vacation here at Memories Splash Punta Cana.

Kind Regards,

Reviewed 14 June 2014

Let me start this review by saying I've never been to a resort before -- in fact, I've never even left the United States before -- so I can't tell you how this place compares to other places. But if you're like me, when you're going on vacation you really just want the lowest-priced place that doesn't have terrible reviews. You, not resort veterans, are my audience.

My wife & I stayed here for our belated honeymoon. We found a LivingSocial deal that gave us an all-inclusive week at Memories with the Diamond Club package and an excursion discount included, via Apple Vacations. When we arrived, we met our butler Lorenzo, who was very helpful. He gave us a brief tour of the resort and explained most of the important details, like the fact that we can use the facilities at the Royalton, their sister resort. He also helped us make dinner reservations and left a few nice surprises in our room. I'm actually not sure which amenities were part of the Diamond Club package, which ones were provided by Lorenzo, and which ones were just standard fare for the resort, so I can't really give a specific rundown of who was responsible for how well we were treated. But I do know that when we discussed things with Lorenzo, we felt confident that they would be taken care of. Whereas sometimes when we talked to other staff at the resort, it wasn't clear whether they really understood us or would help us.

Back to the resort itself, our room was very nice, with a balcony overlooking the main pool area. My only real complaint is that the air conditioning was excessive, even after turning the thermostat all the way up. At least, I *think* I turned it all the way up, but there were no instructions for how to use the thermostat, so maybe there was a way to fix it. International calling also didn't work for a large portion of our trip. We asked the staff to look into it about 3 times, but we never heard back from anyone about it. However, one day it magically started working, so I guess they must have fixed it at some point.

The restaurants were, for the most part, very good. The main problem was inconsistency. We did our first three nights of dinner at the three main restaurants on the resort: the seafood place, the Mexican place, and the Italian place. Those first three nights, our food was absolutely amazing. But when we went back to all of those places a second time for the next three nights, there was definitely a decline in the quality of both the food and the service. It was by no means terrible, but certain items clearly weren't quite as fresh. I got the sense that everything is still a work in progress (the resort hasn't been around that long) -- for example, the second time we went to the Italian place, they had completely reworked the way the appetizers are set up and the waiters had different uniforms.

We didn't go to any of the Royalton restaurants for dinner, since there's an extra charge of $15 per person. (We originally planned to, but after the excursions and all the people we wanted to tip, we needed to spare every dollar.) We did go to the Selections buffet every morning for breakfast, and then once for lunch and dinner toward the end of our stay. We were actually quite impressed by the dinner buffet, which even had a little sushi bar! The breakfast buffet was decent enough, but definitely suffered from the same consistency issues as the restaurants. Then again, it's a buffet, so naturally the freshness of the food is going to depend on when you go up to the line. Still, some days it was almost impossible to get the waiters to give us coffee. We actually would've preferred just being able to get it ourselves.

But I don't want to dwell on the negatives, because really, the all-inclusive package is still a good deal even if the food isn't always perfect. The facility as a whole is very nice, modern-looking, and well-maintained. There are pools everywhere, and open bars everywhere, including the pools! The two main pools are the "relaxation pool" and the "party pool", to fit whatever vibe you're looking for. And obviously, there's the beach. To get to the beach you have to walk all the way through the Royalton, which I suppose some would consider a hassle. Personally, we love walking, so we didn't mind. There is also an ever-present trolley that takes you to the Royalton entrance if you need it. There's also a water park, which has basically every kind of water slide you could want, as well as a wave pool. That IS basically it, though -- there isn't a lazy river or anything like that -- so if you plan a whole day at the water park, you may run out of things to do pretty quickly.

But as I mention all of these pools and beaches, I do need to point out one more downside: almost every area of the resort is paved with some sort of white stone tile, which gets VERY slippery when wet. And it's everywhere! One night when we were there it rained, and from what we heard, the resort doctor was up all night treating people for injuries they sustained by slipping on the tile. And it only rained briefly -- I can only imagine how this would be during a more typical rainy season in Punta Cana.

Anyway, back to the beach. As expected, it was absolutely beautiful. Not a lot to say beyond that. For Diamond Club members, there is an exclusive beach bar, which actually probably has the best food you'll find on the resort. We had a burger there which was much better than the burger we had at the Memories burger joint, and a salmon wrap which was to die for. They also have all the "top-shelf" liquors there, but to be honest, I don't really know the difference.

Compared to the Royalton, Memories definitely has a more kid-friendly, "fun" vibe. So you should take that into consideration when deciding which part of the resort you want to go to. We actually didn't realize there was a list of activities in the information package we got when we checked in, and it took us a while to discover that most of the "night life" happens at the Royalton, whereas most of the nighttime activities at Memories are strictly for kids. If you want live music, dancing, and such, you might be more inclined to stay at the Royalton. Fortunately, you can still enjoy both resorts either way; you just have to remember that what you're looking for may be on the other side.

Overall, while I certainly feel there are improvements to be made, we had a great time here. I was tempted to rate the resort "Average" because my review seems to have a lot of criticisms, but few of those criticisms actually had any impact on how much we enjoyed ourselves. So I'm bumping it up to "Very Good".

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Aaron S

Dear Aaron S.,

We are at your complete disposal.