“Amazing hotel, amazing people, just a few changes needed to make it PERFECT!”

Memories Splash Punta Cana
Ranked #32 of 112 Hotels in Punta Cana
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed 23 June 2014

Myself and my partner (a couple of 30 something young-minded professionals) travelled to Memories Splash on 12th June until 19th June with Thomsons Holidays, Glasgow to Punta Cana.

We were welcomed at the reception with ice cold cloths to cool down, some welcome cocktails and big smiles from the staff. And those smiles followed us until the moment we left the hotel. The staff are all lovely, so accomodating and they make a point of ensuring that you are having a great time.

The grounds are well maintained, it is very clean in all areas and you really do feel like you are in paradise.

The pool areas were great. We stayed in the pool outside of building 5 most of the time as it was the quieter area with minimal music. However if you wanted a bit more of a party atmosphere the other pools had banging tunes most of the day; a little too loud for us as we just wanted to relax and read. But you certainly had the best of both worlds for your own personal preference.

The room was GORGEOUS! We had a kind sized room with a balcony and a jacuzzi and it was maintained every day by our maid who kindly ensured that we always had a freshly made bed, fresh towels and a pretty arrangement of the bed covers.
My only negative point was that after the first night, both of us woke up with severe back and neckache as the beds were very hard and uncomfortable. However as soon as we spoke to the reception, the maid went to the sister resort, brought back a bed softener and laid it for us. We were so grateful and it resolved the problem for us. No more aches!

The availability of drinks was great, the bar staff had a fresh drink in front of you before you had even finished the one in your hand and they were always happy to mix up something new when requested. We had some giggles with them and they would recognise us the following night, giving us a welcoming feel to the place.

The food...this is where improvement really is needed. I cant fault the breakfast. You can have anything from fresh fruit and cereal to an omlette made right infront of you. There were always plenty of tables and a quick turnaround and the waiters were attentive.
Where it falls down is the dinner. And it falls down badly. For a start you cannot book a table anywhere so it is first come first served. We are not early eaters, so when we would go for dinner around 7pm and be told in all of the restaurants that we'd have at least a 2 hour wait, you can imagine the frustration.

On 2 seperate occasions, we ended up so drunk at the bar just waiting on a table that we ended up giving in and ordering from our room - simple hamburgers and the like. I cant even remember how it tasted as we were so hungry we'd have eaten anything.

The mexican was ok, but we arrived at 630 that night and sill didnt get seated until after 8pm.
The italian pizza wasnt all that, but it was the shortest waiting time so we decided to just eat there.
The buffet doesnt have the biggest selection of hot foods and it is the same every night but again, when you need to eat, you have to eat.

We decided that we had such a bad experience with the food that on the final night we went to the Steak restaurant in the Royalton for a nice fillet. We made a point of going when it opened at 6pm (and still didnt get seated until 830pm!), but it was absolutely AMAZING! We had to pay an extra $15pp but by this point we didnt care as we just wanted a nice meal and it was worth every penny.

The waterpark is great fun, we went quite a few times and would highly recommend the whole resort to anyone with kids. Although as adults we had a giggle, we can imagine the kids would have loved it.

The other benefit is that you share the resort with the Royalton so you have a greater choice of bars, shops, pools and of course the beach which has to be accessed through there. The little bus takes only minutes to and from the resorts and we never had to wait any longer than a few minutes.

In summary, although I have made a few comments about things that need changing (the bed and the food), I would still highly recommend this place, especially young couples or families. It really was an amazing holiday. Just make sure you eat EARLY and dont expect a 5 star meal.

Room Tip: Building 5 was quiet and ideal for us.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
11  Thank DannyandGillian
MauricioZarate, General Manager at Memories Splash Punta Cana, responded to this reviewResponded 25 June 2014

Dear DannyandGillian,

Thank you for taking time to report your recent experience at Memories Splash Punta Cana, we are really happy to read your feedback on TripAdvisor about your recent visit.

Your positive feedback is very much appreciated. We can assure you we always try to do everything as possible to create enjoyable experiences to our guests, and we will consider all your comments like a great value that help us to improve.

It would be a pleasure for all of us to welcome you back in the near future.

Reviewed 22 June 2014

We are currently in day 2 of our stay. We are hoping our week becomes better as it goes on. Upon arrival we went to check in and were immediatey escorted to the diamond club as we had booked a diamond club presidential suite. This went well and we were given silver wrist bands as well as introduced to our butler Franklin. We traveled with a large group of family and friends. We booked this trip about 9 months ago and asked to have all rooms in the same area. They put us all in buildings 7, 8 and 9 which happen to be convenient to everything. This was all going well until we went to check in our 14-15 year old kids. We had asked for their room to be next to an adults room due to age. They werent even close. We had to be firm and it took a lot of pressure from us to get that to happen. It also wasted more than an hour of our time. Later that evening we went to take advantage of our diamond status and check out the beach area and bar-just unwind a little after the check in hassel. However when we got there we were told we did not have diamond member bracelets on and were turned away! We went back to our room & called the diamond club. They told us they would send someone with the correct bracelets in five minutes. An hour later we still didnt have them. We decided to walk up to the diamond club directly since it was getting late. When we got there we were told we didnt have diamond club regardless of what room we had and they just checked us in there to show us what we could have and laughed. To say this has put a damper of my vacation is putting it lightly. I paid for the top room in the resort and expect the priviledges that go along with it . It remains to be seen how the rest of our vacation turns out. Right now we will not be back. Stay tuned for my final review. Since our family owns the travel agency we booked through we will also not be recommending this to others based on our experience in the first day. We are still waiting to see if anything is done to rectify our situation.

Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
9  Thank Frank T
MauricioZarate, General Manager at Memories Splash Punta Cana, responded to this reviewResponded 22 October 2014

Dear Frank T,

It would be a pleasure for all of us to welcome you back in the near future.

Reviewed 22 June 2014

The resort is stunning! I love the design of the place:
the spacious feel
The landscaping
The interior of the various restaurants
The choice of furniture and even the tableware

All the above makes it a stunning place. Clearly a lot of work has gone into the design.

Service is very good and the staff beautiful and charming. We had great butler service from Escali and Lorenzo. Both of these guys know how to serve.

The pool guy deserves a mention too. Franklin is such a happy a charming person.

The food at the main buffet I found to be excellent. A great choice and tasty! In fact we found this to be the best food on the resort generally - why?
Well the other themed restaurants while being stunning on ambiance and design really lacking in cuisine.
Under the Sea restaurant (must book to get a good seating time) is worth it for the feeling of going out... But the food was not great. The fish was overlooked, with a very (corn- flower tasting) gloopie, flavorless sauce.
The Mexican was worse by food standards...I really couldn't taste any authentic spice in the food. Chips and salsa was in fact old tasting chips and a very small pot of pico de gallo - not salsa. We all tried different dishes and each one was poor.
The Italian was not much better. The pizza was made on a very thin base but cooked too long and not at a hot enough temperature resulting in a dry and cardboard like base! The topping were really awful - I mean it's not hard to make a good pizza and I know the resort has all the necessary ingredients.

The rules were confusing and opening times and when and where you could get food and snacks on the beach was too complicated. We had the Diamond package but it was still a pain to have to figure out where and when we could or could not get snacks on the beach.

Room Tip: All depends where you want to be. Close to the bus stops? Or close to the pool? Or close to the buff...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
5  Thank Duncan V

Dear Duncan V.,

First of all we would like to thank you for giving us the esteemed opportunity of serving you during your stay in Memories Splash Punta Cana and for sharing your impressions on Trip advisor website.

As you know we believe it is only through listening carefully to the comments and suggestions of our customers, we will be able to achieve the constant improvement, guest satisfaction and quality service that we want. It is a big pleasure to read your wonderful comments that you have had about our team.

We are really sorry for your experience did not be thoroughly satisfactory and we promise to review and analyze all yours comments in order to not to repeat this kind of situation. Thank you very much for your feedback.

Kind regards.

Reviewed 22 June 2014

Myself, husband and 4 year old stayed here between 28 May - 11 June 2014.

The flight on the Dreamliner from Manchester was fab .... nice comfy plane, adequate food and excellent entertainment facilities. My little boy watched Frozen on way back... 90 mins of peace :-)

DONT FORGET - you need to pay $10 each on arrival and $20 each on departure, including children. This has to be paid in cash.

Also, I wouldnt bother taking Domincan Pesos either ...take Dollars. Everything priced over there is in dollars...easier for you to understand and work out currency.

On arrival at Memories we were advised that we had been given a 3rd floor room. With no lifts and a young child with pushchair this wasnt ideal. The lady who checked us in was great and immediately changed us to a ground floor room. She has advised us that she had upgraded us as no other rooms were available which we were very grateful of. However, on arriving in the room is was very basic...very clean but very basic so I'm not totally sure what our original room would have been like.

As stated in other reviews - Blocks 1-6 are nice and quiet. Situated right by the Bubbles pool. This area is hardly every busy and has a pool bar.
Blocks 7-8 are situated by the main noisy pool. This area gets busy real quick and unless you put your towel out early, all beds are reserved/used by 9am. We were in room 2260 Block 7. We over looked the pool and although it was noisy during it the day, come 6/7pm it stopped and wasnt an issue to us.
Block 9 is situated right next to the Waterpark.

Beach towels are available so dont bother to take your own. You can get them from the noisy pool, the water park or the pool situated by the Royalton. You can also have as many as you want when you want - they dont have to be signed for which is normally the case at resorts like this!

The water park is AMAZING. Our son loved it!! The lifeguards are fantastic and are very approachable and chatty to the children.
My hubby used the larger slides and also agreed they were good!
The wavepool was fun.... could get busy at times but this is normal.
One negative is that as someone has already stated the tiles get very wet and are sooooo slippy. We saw 7 people over the period of the two weeks with broken legs! Just stress to your kids to WALK everywhere!
There are designated first aid people in waterpark who are very efficient and helpful. One little girl slipped and put her tooth through her bottom lip. The first aider was there in an accident, recorded all info in the accident book and took the guests room number for reference.

The beach is situated at the Royalton which is either a 4-5 min walk or a 2 min buggy ride. The buggies operated every few minutes so you are never left waiting for too long and there are 'bus stops' situated all over so you dont have to walk too far to catch one.
The beach is BEAUTIFUL. We have been to Domincan before (north) and the beaches are no were near as nice as Punta Cana. A typical caribbean beach.... nice soft sand and crystal clear water!

FOOD - The selections buffet restaurant at Memories is average. They serve the same food every day! Which, if honest, is typical all inclusive. However, we have travelled all over the carribean and I think this is the lowest standard yet.
Breakfast is a nightmare! If you arent there by 730am expect a long queue to be seated and around a 25-30 wait for an omelette or fried egg. Sometimes you ask for coffee/tea and you dont get it. Our opinions on this is not enough staff to accomodate the amount of guests using the services. One young boy serving coffee/tea to approx 75 guests is never going to work!?!?

The same can be said for the BITES burger bar. Burgers, Hot dogs and Paninis...all freshly made to order. But one man serving and cooking one persons order, one at a time? We stood and waited for 45 minutes for a burger. More staff needed!!!

You can use the Lunch Time buffet right next to the beach. We used this everyday and the food was of a very good standard. Much better than selections anyway.

There are 3 restaurants in Memories:
Under The Sea - my favourite!! Serves steak, lobster, chicken....all cooked perfectly
Italion - Very bland, not much taste....!
Mexican - Yuk! I had bones in the chicken served with my fajitas so it put me off - we only used this one once.
Guests are allowed to use these restaurants as many times as they wish, no reservation required. However, unless you go within the first hour of opening between 6-7pm, expect an hour wait for a table!!
Memories guests can only use Royalton restaurants at an additional cost of $15 adult, $10 children but Royalton guests can use ALL of the memeories facilities too at no extra cost to them.
It maybe an idea for them to start taking reservations on the day..... saves the waiting and frustration then!

There a guests services situated in each block. They say they are there to make your holiday pleasant, but as soon as you start a conversation you kind of get bullied into going to a timeshare meeting! This meeting lasts 2 hours !!! They arent happy if you dont want to go!! Be prepared!

The maid service is hit and miss. Each day we were out of the room at around 930am. We put the 'service room please' sign on the door and when we returned at 5pm the sign was still there! They wanted to come in at 530pm when we were trying to shower and get ready for the evening.
If on the off chance the room was made up before we got back we didnt have any clean towels. One night I found a maid and asked for them. She asked if I could wait 5 mins which I advised was not a problem. 45 mins later we we still waiting. I ended up using our beach towels to dry my little boy.
I asked recepion if they minded ensuring our room was done earlier rather than later as we liked to get in from the sun around 5pm and get ready for the evening? I was assured this wasnt a problem and they would advise maid services. This never happened!
Dont get me wrong, if I saw that they were hard working and only a few maids to clean the blocks I probably wouldnt comment, but everytime I saw them they were standing around laughing and giggling!

On the last day before we came home, my little boy slipped on a tile in the room and split his eye open on the bed side table. I advised reception who never offered to make note of this. They said they would send a little gift for my son ... fab! The gift was a bottle of red wine! Not really suitable for a child but hey ho!! They thought was there I suppose!

There is a convenience store situated next to Under The Sea restaurant which sells sun cream, sweets, crisps, medication etc just incase you need anything!
Try and take as much medication as you can, calpol, bandages etc. The doctors charges $150 JUST to SEE you thats not including anything you may need to get better!!

In a nutshell - this hotel is spotlessly clean, situated in lovely grounds and is fab for kids. However, the service is not the best! It is still a relatively new hotel and I think we a few more staff to accomodate the guests it should run a bit more smoothly. We got this holiday at a bargain price £2300 for all 3 of us.... however, the price is over £1500 EACH to go in August school holidays and I know if it was me paying that price I would be GUTTED as it clearly isnt worth it!
Hotel should consider opening some Royalton facilities to memories guests... it will release some pressure from Memories restaurants.

I'm not sure we would visit this hotel again..... purely because of the service and the standard of food :-( Hopefully, the hotel will take all these comments on board and others have stated the same and make improvements where necessary.

I think that is everything.... if you want to know any thing please contact me at
donna.hemingsley@smarttar.co.uk and Ill answer any questions you have.

Room Tip: Stick to ground floor if u have children or limited mobility
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
14  Thank donna2810

Dear donna2810,

Firstly, the entire team of Memories Splash Punta Cana wants to thank you for sharing your experience with the rest of the Trip advisor community.

Thank you very much for you constructive and criticism comments. Do not hesitate that we will take good note about them in order to keep improving our service, ensuring a good quality service and guest satisfaction. We are really sorry for your experience did not be thoroughly satisfactory and we promise to review, analyze all yours comments in order to not to repeat this kind of situation.

We will be delighted to attend you in future if you give us a second opportunity. We would like to see you again in our hotel Memories Splash Punta Cana as soon as possible.

Kind regards

Reviewed 21 June 2014

I stayed at the Memories Splash Resort with my boyfriend and we LOVED it! We got a really great deal for Memories Splash on Living Social, and we were slightly concerned that the resort wouldn't honor parts of the deal because we had never done a Living Social trip before. But Memories Splash honored every part of the deal, including our package getting bumped up to "Diamond Club", which means that we got special wristbands that allows us access to an exclusive section of the beach, unlimited food and drink from the Diamond Club food and drink bars located on the beach, and a wonderful room with butler services (though we didn't need to use our assigned butler). Memories Splash is a beautiful resort and is located right next to another resort called the Royalton. Upon arriving at Memories Splash, we were informed of a deal where we could eat at the Royalton's restaurants for free for 2 nights, which we definitely took advantage. The restaurants at Royalton were wonderful, and there are several, so you have variety. We went to a Hibachi/Sushi restaurant, a tapas restaurant, and a Greek restaurant. After that deal expired, we could still eat at the restaurants at Royalton for a fee of $10 per person, so not a bad deal. The restaurants at Memories Splash were also great, they had an amazing seafood restaurant. And with our wristbands, we were allowed unlimited food and drink at any Memories Splash restaurant and bar.
Our room was very nice and had a great balcony view of one of the many pools on the resort. However, we were woken up very early every day from the shouts and screams of happy kids playing in the pool. So maybe next time we'll try to get a room that isn't directly above the pool. Our room was conveniently located right next to one of Memory Splash's bars, called Social Bar. My boyfriend and I frequented this bar several times a day and were always met by very friendly and fast-serving bartenders. In particular, Rosalio and "Super" Carlos were our favorite bartenders. They always made us special drinks that weren't on the menu (Rosalio made us an amazing tropical drink called "One Love") and always gave us delicious snacks to munch on while sitting at the bar. I was pretty bummed when saying goodbye to Rosalio and Carlos because we saw them every day, several times a day, and happened to develop a really friendly relationship with them.
Another awesome perk about Memories Splash was the kids water park. My boyfriend and I spent several hours at the water park and we had a blast. The water slides are so much fun and definitely not just for kids.
The resort also offered lots of other activities if you're keen to do other things besides beach-bumming. My boyfriend and I did a snorkeling trip where we took a boat out to a protected marine species sanctuary and went swimming with nurse sharks and stingrays. It was a wonderful trip! We also went ziplining in the mountains. These activities were very well organized, very safe, and immensely fun. Our guides on these activities were so friendly and all seemed genuinely interested in our safety, fun, and experience.
All in all, I definitely recommend going to this resort. I know that I plan on coming back next vacation!

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Alex J

Dear Alex J.,

We would like to thank you personally for sharing on TripAdvisor your kind feedback about your stay at Memories Splash Punta Cana.

We appreciate to hear that we have been able to meet your expectations and that our location and facilities have contributed to a wonderful holiday in our hotel. It is a great pleasure to read how much you have enjoyed our resort.

We hope to have you back soon enjoying Memories Splash Punta Cana.

Reviewed 21 June 2014

Stayed at grand paradise during hurricane season but that definitely didn't stop the fun! Every animation team (denzel, blackie) and more were great at keeping the games and fun non-stop! There was a bit of rain when we arrived and throughout the trip but not much they could have done about that. The food here was GREAT, I have been to 5 star resorts and I thought grand paradise had just as good as food! The shows everynight were fun and interactive and the beach was beautiful. The only thing at the time that was a bummer was the disco was not very fun and they could have had more food stations or snack bars at night! Good place for good price!

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 21 June 2014

Nice Hotel. Coffee isn't the best. Excellent pools. Room service adequate. Food service to rooms takes so long. We reserved on Royalton but travel company over booked, was transferred to memories. Good choice.

Room Tip: Room near pools are the best.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
3  Thank Juan D

Dear Juan D.,

Firstly, thank you so much for selecting Memories Splash Punta Cana for your holidays and thank you for having taken some of your valuable time to send to Trip Advisor your positive comments.

Your constructive and criticism comments have been reported and they will be taken into account in the future. We will continue working to improve our services, as our top priority is to provide the best experience our guest.

We are at your complete disposal.
Kind regards,

Alsol Luxury Village
#85 of 112 in Punta Cana
Grand Palladium Palace Resort Spa & Casino
Royalton Punta Cana Resort & Casino

Been to Memories Splash Punta Cana? Share your experiences!