“Cap Cana”

Ranked #45 of 111 Hotels in Punta Cana
aspen,co
“Cap Cana”
Reviewed 3 May 2014

Alsol Del Mar rooms are amazing! We had a one bedroom suite, which includes a hot tub on your patio and outdoor shower. We had room service for breakfast on our patio everyday. I loved the shower with the door that opened up to the deck. We had great views of the lagoon in the back of the property. Great place for a cup of coffee!

The infinity pool is the gem of the property! A nice shallow "Walking" beach just beyond the pool. The little beach between the hotel and the Sanctuary is so beautiful! But the beach beyond Sanctuary is called Juanillo Beach, is the most beautiful beach I have ever seen. It was pretty empty while we were there, and NO resorts!

As for the food at Alsol Del Mar, TERRIBLE!!!! Thank God for the opportunity to eat at the Sanctuary. We loved the WOK. We ended up spending most our time over there, they have a lot to do and explore, food was good, and the service was great! The one thing we loved at Alsol was the Rum raison ice cream. I wish I had some now. Our room was great, but realized we should have stayed at the sanctuary instead. To give you an idea, they use nacho goopy cheese on anything that says cheese. Even gnocchi, gross! All the meat and fish taste like it had been frozen, thawed in a microwave, and then over cooked. There is only 2 restaurants, and we were hard pressed to find one decent thing. Think of the worse Vegas buffet you have been too. There's really no where close to eat, so you really don't have a choice.

We had many problems with our room. Just things that needed to be fixed, broken towel rack hanging on the wall, a light in the bedroom that flashed all night, bathtub drain that wouldn't stop the water, ...... I booked the room based on the tub, but we never got to use it. I gave them a list. They didn't seem to care, and never did anything about it. I realized at that point, they didn't care and never brought it up again. I have worked in a hotel, we want to know, and we have it fixed ASAP. I kept asking for more water in room. Every day you get 1 Sprite, 1 Coke, 1 water, and 2 beers. (Sometimes). I just wanted the water, we don't drink alcohol or soda. A trash can in the kitchen and dish towels or even paper towels would be nice.

There is nothing to do here besides the pool and beach. Just be aware. There is an eco park close by called Scape Park.

Now if book through Expedia. Don't book the transportation. The bus driver dropped us at the wrong hotel. After I repeatedly said it was the wrong hotel. He got out, got our bags out, and left when I went to ask the front desk. Yep, wrong hotel! Now the service we paid for was gone, and we had to get a taxi. Sounds like this happens a lot.

The staff is very nice. Although, they need some direction. A manager is really needed!!!! We own a restaurant and all we wanted to do was help. I think there is a language barrier, but they don't tell you. They act like they understand, which just upsets the guest. Tell me you don't understand, I will try spanish. They will sit altogether behind the bar by the pool, and it's hard to get ONE of the staff to help you. They do love to tell you, Whatever YOU want, it's YOUR vacation. This makes you feel like they are mocking you, because it's untrue. We never saw a General Manager the whole week.

The property itself really needs some love. Especially the all of the wood and roofs. It's really distracting. All week I wanted to stain the wood.

This property has so much potential!!! It's really beautiful! We had a great time, and we miss the Juanillo Beach! I understand that the property is new this year, and they are working out the kinks. I'd say until then, check out Sanctuary down the beach.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank ginger18
Saskya C, Manager at Alsol Del Mar, responded to this review, 8 May 2014
Thank you for taking the time for reviewing your stay at AlSol del Mar.

Although we are delighted to know you have enjoyed our rooms and setting, it is quite disappointing to know that you have not enjoyed the food. We have addressed your comments to the Food and Beverage Team, especially since we take pride on our offer and variety. As you can see from previous reviewers, this is not a common issue.

This is indeed a relaxed resort where most activities are not pushy and entirely optional, and the setting is relaxed and quiet for those who are looking just that.

We have an entirely committed and active Management team who works diligently in ensuring guest satisfaction, and we are sorry to know you feel the management is lacking. We are definitely looking into the aspects of your holiday that have affected your overall experience and rest assured that we are continuously looking for areas of opportunity to make this the perfect vacation sport for our customers.

We remain at your service.

Hotel Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (185)
New York
Reviewed 2 May 2014

I just got back from 3 nights at Alsol Del Mar and it was simply one of the best experiences I have had in a hotel. The property is gorgeous. The brand new rooms are large and airy. I had the one bedroom suite with a peaceful and unobstructed view of the ocean. The sunset was especially stunning. The beach is pristine and very quiet. I had the beach to myself for most of my time there. The staff is great, attentive and willing to make your stay as pleasant as possible. Yankarlo, Sandro, Luis, Jean Carlos to name a few were very hospitable and nice.

I traveled there by myself to relax after a very intense few months and it was the perfect place for me. I liked that it was intimate yet calm and that I could walk around wihtout seeing many people. It's very different from the usual large and busy all-inclusive beach resorts which makes the hotel so unique.

The only negative point was the quality of food. Though it was totally decent, I found it somewhat bland. For a wider selection of restaurants and more activity at night you can walk 10-15 minutes or take a $3 cab ride to the sister property, Sanctuary. Having that option gave a nice balance to my stay as I went there for dinner one night after enjoying a wonderful day on the beach. I will come back there for sure!

• Stayed April 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank cocochou
Hola cocochou!

We look forward to your next visit and thank you for your review and account of your stay at AlSol del Mar!

It is a wonderful to know you have enjoyed the beach, room and the beautiful setting, made more special by our totally service oriented staff.

We are happy you were able to enjoy the option of using our sister property, but have discussed with the Chef your comments about the food being bland, since it is our goal that our clients are completely satisfied with the options available at our resort.

It will definitely be an honor for us to have the opportunity of welcoming you again.

Best regards,

Wilmington, North Carolina
Reviewed 30 April 2014

I found it difficult to get any information from Alsol Del Mar's site and communication with the hotel was difficult too. We used a groupon and had to set up reservations with a sister resort and that took days to actually process or hear back. It was frustrating. But my husband contacted Karen with concierge at Alsol and she was very helpful. She sent a taxi to pick us up from the airport (go past all the people yelling at you to use their service to get a taxi outside of the chaos) It was only a 20-25 min ride to the airport.

Once we arrived we were warmly greeted by all the staff and presented glasses of champagne while we relaxed while Karen personally checked us in. They let us choose between 2 rooms (one with an upcharge and one without) and were extremely patient while we decided. We choose the upgraded suite instead of the double bed room since it was our honeymoon so they let us change in the double bed room, and leave our luggage there while they prepared our room and sent us down to the pool to relax and have lunch. Our room at a great view of a lagoon and was very spacious with a full kitchen and 1.5 baths. It also included a Jacuzzi and outdoor shower!

While there we enjoyed meeting and talking with the staff especially Yuli, Ramone, Luis and Jean Carlos - but all the staff was very helpful and friendly. We participated in a few "daily activities" like bean bag toss and ping pong that were simple and fun. It was a great way to win little prizes like bottles of rum or mamajuana and meet and socialize with other travelers.

It was a great a place to relax, drink and eat all day. The infinity pool is pretty awesome and you have a great view of the beach. Alsol has a sister resort called Sanctuary that we compared to Disney since it seem so over the top. But there they had 5 restaurants a few additional bars. Note that tip is not included there like it is at Alsol.... we figured out the staff there didn't like most Alsol guests since our tips are included and assume its the same at Sanctuary, Just tip and you'll get the same great service!

It's a great place to relax! We skipped the excursions bc we wanted to relax. But go explore! We can only imagine it's just as awesome. Highly recommend!!

Room Tip: Rooms that are to the right of the resort are quieter and do not face over the pool but over a cool...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank KristenRed
Hola KristenRed!

It is great to read reviews of our customers and read about their experiences and we thank you for taking the time to share with other travelers.

Our goal is to ensure that our guests have a great vacation experience and we are delighted to know that you have relaxed while enjoying the beautiful surroundings.

We would love to have the opportunity of hosting you again and look forward to doing so in the not too distant future. In the meantime we remain here at your service.

Best regards,

Guatemala City, Guatemala
Reviewed 28 April 2014

We just got back from Al Sol del Mar after staying there for 10 days! It's an incredible place with and incredible beach with incredible people! Everyone was so nice to us, specially Valerie, Nicolas, Saskya, Jesus, Jean Carlos, Sergio, Sandro and Miguel. We were very pleased with everything, the one bedroom suite is FANTASTIC! We had a great ocean view suite! Everyone there made us feel special! The food and drinks are great, we had several dinners over at Sanctuary and they were great too. Thank you so much for everything!

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Hola DTDH!

Your are welcome!

We are very happy to read your review and thank you for your kind words towards our amazing team of people. Each of the individuals you mention have been made aware of your comments and we are glad to know that the food, drinks, rooms and services have been to your satisfaction.

It would be a great honor for us to have the chance of welcoming you again and we remain here at your service.

Bloomfield, Australia
Reviewed 27 April 2014

Jimmy Alvarez the Reception Manager was by far their biggest asset. This manager knows hospitality and always checked in on us to assure we had everything we needed... All of the staff was great, but I would take Jimmy home if I could! lol...My girlfriend and our 3 kids went to this resort and I have to say it exceeded our expectations. We were there off-season and it was a little quiet for my taste, but the staff absolutely made up for it. They were very accommodating and enthusiastically took care of our needs. Its not often I can say a hotel exceeded my expectations, but this one did. I will definitely return to this beautiful country and it's people...

Room Tip: choose a room with a private pool!
Hola SunChaser4667,

Thank you for your comments towards Jimmy Alvarez, a fine member of the team of our sister property AlSol Luxury Village. We are delighted to know that our AlSol guests have a wonderful stay regardless of where they stay.

You beautiful comments and account of our stay at our sister resort have been passed along to their Hotel Manger.

We remain at your service and thank you for chossing an AlSol property for your vacation in Punta Cana.

Potomac, Maryland
Reviewed 26 April 2014

I loved Alsol del Mar! My family did too.
My daughter discovered it on Jetsetter before it even opened. We ended up booking it directly through the hotel and then kept our fingers crossed that it would be as nice as the pictures. It is. What a find!!
We had a 2 bedroom suite. It was beautiful. The air conditioning was key. The balcony was more of an outdoor living room as it was large, had fantastic furniture, and a pretty view so we spent a lot of time out there. The outdoor hot tub was great and we used it often. I was also able to do yoga out there. The view and the breeze made for true vacation yoga.
The pool was beautiful and the beach was too. The beach at the sister resort, Sanctuary, was better for swimming, and even better than that was the beach in between the 2 resorts. The sand was like velvet. The best part about the beach at alsol del mar was that it was not crowded. The resort really had a relaxed vacation feel. There were plenty of chairs, and every seat had a gorgeous view. My kids favorite seats were at the swim up bar where they could have snacks and drinks and still be in the pool. The staff even played dominoes with them.
The staff were all amazing! They were friendly as well as cordial, attentive and polite. The chefs were outstanding! All were good, but my favorite had to be Ynocencio as he would make things for us that weren't even on the menu. My afternoon tostones with fresh guacamole really hit the spot after a day at the beach. Everything he made was delicious and was prepared and delivered with a smile. The langostinos on the lunch buffet were top notch as was all of the Dominican food. We also loved the breakfast buffet. My family is insisting that I give a shout out to other fab employes as well, so here it is in no particular order: Jose, Yuli, Miguel, Michael, Santiago, Ezequiel, Francisco, Martin, and really everyone. It was nice to be offered daily activities and equally nice that they didn't take offense if we just wanted to sit and read instead of joining in on a game of beach volleyball. My kids loved the bingo and even won prizes.
As much as I loved Alsol del Mar, it was such a bonus to have the letter to be able to use the facilities and all inclusive restaurants at Sanctuary as well. It offered some nice variety. That being said, I much preferred to be at Alsol del Mar since I liked the staff and food and pool better, and it was easy to get chairs and shade.
I especially loved Saskia! She is a star! It takes a special manager to be able to inspire all of her employees to be excellent every single day.

Here are some small details everyone should know if they are going to vacation here. Call the resort to have a taxi meet you at the airport to make things easy. Make sure you bring a lot of sun lotion. If you run out, it is expensive. The rooms have washers and dryers, but no detergent, so just bring some single packets in case you want to throw in a load.

Room Tip: There is a difference between ocean view and ocean front. We were in building 10 on the third floo...
2 Thank David S
Hola David!

Thank you for your beautiful account of your experience at AlSol del Mar. And thank you for your kind words towards the entire team.

We are delighted to know that you and your family have enjoyed your stay and it is a pleasure to know that the services, rooms, food and amenities have been to your satisfaction. We work diligently in providing our guests with an outstanding vacation experience.

We have also forwarded your comments to the fine individuals you mention and appreciate that their dedication to service has been noticed.

It would be a great honor for us to have the opportunity of welcoming you and your family to our resort again, in the meantime we remain here at your service.

Souderton, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 26 April 2014

My daughter treated me to this vacation and it was fabulous! This resort knows how to treat visitors. If you don't wish to speak any Spanish, they will accommodate in a friendly way. We preferred to speak only Spanish while there. You could easily see they appreciated our 'try'. The suite was more than beautiful, it was pure luxury. Bring everything, there is no Sundries Shop here. Wear shoes for dinnertime, no flops. The Sanctuary is nearby, a sister resort. We enjoyed trying the 3 restaurants there, but for ambience and friendly staff, completely open environment, it's the Alsol Del Mar all the way! NO comparison. Alsol is the perfect place to chill out, relax, no crowds, wonderful environment. Pure tropical breezes day and night, bring plenty of sunscreen, you'll need it.

Hola Karen M!

It is great to always read reviews like yours, where we see the testimony of another happy guest that has felt pampered looked after and taken care of by our attentive team.

It is also great to know that the relaxed and peaceful environment has made this a “Perfect Relaxing Week” for you.

We would love the honor of welcoming you again, whenever you feel the need to scape to pampering and relaxation!

Also consider these accommodations in or near Punta Cana
#1 of 12 in Juan Dolio
VIK Hotel Cayena Beach
VIK Hotel Cayena Beach
#82 of 111 in Punta Cana

Been to Alsol Del Mar? Share your experiences!