“Wonderful place, great people, awesome time.”
Review of Alsol Del Mar

Alsol Del Mar
Ranked #45 of 112 Hotels in Punta Cana
West Boylston, Massachusetts, United States
“Wonderful place, great people, awesome time.”
Reviewed 21 May 2014

My experience with Alsol Del Mar was wonderful. It was clean, friendly, and very relaxing. Our room had a beautiful view of the ocean, a great way to wake up in the morning, listening to the birds, watching the palm trees sway in the breeze, and hearing the ocean waves, while enjoying our coffee. The staff is awesome, I have never experienced such great service, even on the cruises I have been on, and there have been plenty. The people are always cheerful and there to assist you in anyway to make your stay enjoyable. My suggestion is to watch for the deals and go.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (190)
Rowley, Massachusetts
Reviewed 19 May 2014

Terrible, Terrible, Terrible is all I can say...
1/ Booked a "suite" only to get a standard room. When I showed the front desk my email confirmation which THEY had previously sent me, their response was 'oh well, too bad". They claimed there were no other rooms available.
When I demanded a full refund, they found me a better room.

2/ The food inside the hotel was mediocre at best. The food at the pool was acceptable.

3/ Out of 6 massive buildings - capable of housing hundreds of people - there were only perhaps 20-25 guests at the entire complex. This begs to ask the question: Why couldn't I get my 'suite"?

Absolutely, boring!

4/ After the 2nd day, I had to leave - just to disappointing.
I was charged an additional day so I had to pay for 3 days.

Now, here's the clincher...the hotel refused to issue the credit then and there...I will get the refund in 2 weeks. Well, it's been over a month and nothing.

I'll do the math for accuracy: I initially paid RD$ 80,130.50 ($1,874.40 US) BUT I only owed RD$ 24,039.15 ($559.05 US).

Saskya Carrasco: Can I have my $1,350.35 US back NOW. After all, I have it in writing that's what you owe me.

5/ Now, to be fair, Michael at the pool & the gentleman that handled our car was VERY nice.

Mike Sabatini

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
13 Thank Saba12343
Bordentown, New Jersey
Reviewed 17 May 2014

You can't ask for a better resort. The service is great, the views are secluded, the rooms are basically beautiful apartments, the food is tasty & reflective of the local cuisine, and the drinks are strong.

We came here on our honeymoon. I'm glad we took the risk and booked even though it was brand new and there were no reviews online. It worked out in our favor. A great, all-inclusive price and none of the horrible, crowded mess you'll find at one of the bigger places.

Most of the people staying there with us were local families on Easter vacation, and a few other honeymooners.

You can check out my blog article on staying here: http://travelogueblog.net/top-4-honeymoon-snafus/

Room Tip: Most rooms have an ocean view thanks to the crescent layout -- try to get a private terrace.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Saskya C, Manager at Alsol Del Mar, responded to this review, 1 July 2014
Dear neurohr-pierpaoli,

Thank you for sharing your experience at AlSol del Mar and thank you for the detailed account of your entire honeymoon on your blog, it is a must read!

We would definitely love to welcome you on your anniversaries to come!

Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed 16 May 2014

This hotel is a great place to relax, quiet, beautiful grounds; breakfast is great, but lunch/dinner menu is limited and has no local items, mostly international fare which is fairly uninspiring.
About 20min drive to Punta Cana village, where more and better restaurants are available.
Beach is small, but you can drive to nearby longer beaches. No signs on the road though to show where the hotel is, even no sign outside of the hotel itself, so it took about 1h to find it when we drove in. Free parking is great and easy. Perfect place to relax, small enough to enjoy. It would have been better if it had better food options with a carribean flare to the menu instead of the usual burger/fries/steak. Rooms are large, clean, have balconies opening towards the inner courtyard or back of the resort, most facing the ocean on a partial view.

Room Tip: ask for a ocean view or partial ocean view, higher floor
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank danut15
Saskya C, Manager at Alsol Del Mar, responded to this review, 1 July 2014
Dear Danut15,

Thank you for your beautiful account of your stay at AlSol del Mar, we are delighted to know that you have enjoyed your stay.

As for your comments in regards to more local food options, our Raices menu offers quite a variety of local dishes for everyone´s pleasure. On this menu we have items like Dominican Sancocho, Locrio Rice with fried plantains, beans and many other local options. So we would definitely need to welcome you again in order for your to try these out.

We remain here at your service and look forward to your next visit!

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 14 May 2014

So I literally just left this place last week and cannot get it off my mind. I had such a relaxing time but also had so much fun on my trip that I just booked another one for my next vacation in July! The grounds were beautiful, the room was private, clean, luxurious and comfortable. The staff was so pleasant and helpful, and the entertainment staff genuinely wanted you to enjoy your time there. Counting the days until I return =]

• Stayed May 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank JMZ12981
Saskya C, Manager at Alsol Del Mar, responded to this review, 14 June 2014
Hola LadyJLeage!

We can't wait for your return!

There is nothing that makes us happier than knowing that a guest is returning again. We absolutely love our repeat-guests so please contact us at info@alsoldelmar.com with details on your next vacation.

Thank you for sharing your experience at AlSol del Mar for other travelers to see, and we have also started counting down the days!

See you soon!

Arlington, VA
Reviewed 14 May 2014

We stayed at Alsol Del Mar for several days as part of a large group attending a wedding at the resort.

First the good:

The location is beautiful. The beach is large for the complex and the views are spectacular, especially on the back side of the resort. Because the resort was formerly a condo development, the rooms are enormous. We reserved a 1 bedroom suite, and after initially being put in the wrong room, we walked into an apartment with full kitchen, living area with a dining table that seats 8, and a giant balcony, all with quality furnishings. The pool was great, with a swim-up bar and 3 hot tubs (which were constantly malfunctioning, but the staff worked on them tirelessly one day). The staff is very friendly and try very hard (Eziquiel was great!). Please tip the staff regularly, just because you're at an all-inclusive doesn't mean that they shouldn't be tipped! You get a lot for the money with the all-inclusive plan, it is the least I've ever paid at an all-inclusive resort, and the room is much larger than any received at any other resort. It is a very quiet atmosphere for people looking to relax and not interact much with others or fill your days with activities and pool parties.

Now for the bad:

The resort is a failed condo development called Sotogrande at Cap Cana, part of a larger failed master planned development. The master plan called for many amenities, most of which never materialized. Therefore, there is extremely little to do at Alsol del Mar, even for a couple that wasn't looking to do much more on this trip than attend our friends' wedding and relax. Even a small shack with some snorkeling gear, some beach games, and a couple of kayaks would have been nice, and given the activities director a base of operations. They have a few games, but they're hidden in a box next to the pool bar. Any amenities such as a spa or gym are a 10 minute walk to Sanctuary.

The resort looks very nice at first glance, but being in real estate development I quickly noticed that the resort has significant issues just under the surface. By visual inspection I estimate that half of the rooms are either mothballed or out of service due to long standing repairs/maintenance issues. I noticed the roofs badly need to be replaced and work done to the balconies, the latter of which which we and another couple discovered the effects when water began raining into our bedrooms during a storm. Others had rooms flooded due to malfunctioning AC units, non-operating AC units, etc. The staff had trouble moving people to different rooms, and I suspect it was because of the aforementioned lack of habitable rooms. There is significant amounts of exterior woodwork falling apart/down. The pond around the restaurant was obviously never finished as planned, and is a blemish on the otherwise well landscaped central gardens. The walkways between the buildings need maintenance. The hot tubs by the pool were constantly malfunctioning or not working. The resort opened as Alsol del Mar only in December of 2013, and I have to say that I'm shocked that the owners opened the property before doing significant and necessary (and expensive) repair and maintenance work.

The beds are hard as a rock. I ended up taking the back cushions of the couch and lining them up on the bed so that i could sleep on top of them. This seemed to be a common complaint.

While the staff was exceedingly friendly, outgoing and hard working, they have not been sufficiently trained to provide service expected at a resort of the caliber that Alsol del Mar is trying to achieve. Service was spotty at the pool unless you were at the bar, nonexistent on the beach, and some of the staff struggled to understand the guests (orders were taken incorrectly). Bellhops didn't show. Room service never appeared. I don't blame the front line staff for any of this, they just need more training and better oversight. The housekeeping staff seemed to do a great job, no issues there.

The food varied from acceptable to very good, depending on the dish and the day. We weren't floored by any of the food, but we were well fed. Though my wife and I are food snobs of sorts, so we may have higher expectations than some. I would suggest that visitors go to Sanctuary for some of your meals to expand your offerings.

All in all, we had a great time. We and the other guests were rarely in our rooms, so the room problems didn't bother us much. We made do with cool or scalding hot hottubs. We played volleyball and boccie ball (with the encouragement of Red Bull, the activities director), and our party drank more alcohol than they were probably expecting. I would say that for the cheap price and size of the rooms, many of the issues can be overlooked. But I strongly encourage the owners to invest in their property and show pride in it, rather than try to hide the legion of issues just under the surface.

Room Tip: Get at least a 1 bedroom suite, the price is only a pittance more than the junior 1 bedroom, and is...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
3 Thank ndb4g
Saskya C, Manager at Alsol Del Mar, responded to this review, 14 June 2014
Dear ndb4g,

Thank you for taking the time of sharing your experience at AlSol del Mar. We take reviews, guests comments and any type of feedback very seriously, and diligently work in making our resort and ideal vacation spot where rooms, service and facilities meet and exceed our guests’ expectations.

We are glad to know that you have enjoyed the setting and overall facilities. We are also happy to clarify that work is being carried out methodically all around the property, especially wood and paint work on the exterior of the buildings.

Our room offer, as you mentioned, is unpatrolled to any small or large resort in the area, the rooms are generally impeccable, and we are sorry that you encountered problems with your unit, and we continue to take preventive measures to ensure that none of our guests encounter issues.

It is great to know that you enjoyed your stay and that you found great value in our offer, and we would love to have the opportunity of welcoming you again.

We remain here at your service.

Houston, Texas
Reviewed 13 May 2014

First, if you're looking for a place bursting with energy and music, this is not the place for you. Go to Alsol del Mar for a relaxation, great staff, and beautiful views. We booked it with the all-inclusive option. We couldn't stay away from the ceviche, offered by the pool. It was soooo good! We found all the other food options really good as well, and definitely took advantage of around-the-clock food and drinks. Our suite was beyond gorgeous, clean, spacious, and more than we could ask for.

Let me repeat, they have amazing staff. At arrival, we were greeted with champagne. From that moment, we got nothing but great courtesy and manners. Edwin, Miguel, Ezequiel, Ramon, Yuli, and "James Bond" made it an unforgettable experience for us. Like I wrote, if you're expecting the party scene, you will be disappointed. If you're laid back and into great views and friendly people, then this is the place for you. I wish I was there right this moment!!!

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Keysi13
Saskya C, Manager at Alsol Del Mar, responded to this review, 7 June 2014
Hola Keysi13!

We wish you were here too! But we will be here waiting for you until you come and visit us again!

Thank you for sharing your experience at AlSol del Mar and for your beautiful words towards our accommodations, food and service.

This is indeed a relaxed resort ideal for those seeking peace and escaping a hectic routine.

We also thank you for taking the time to make mention of the members that have made your stay unforgettable, they have been made aware of your comments and are indeed the heart of our resort.

It would be a great honor for us to welcome you again.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Punta Cana
Alsol Luxury Village
#87 of 112 in Punta Cana
Luxury Bahia Principe Ambar Green Don Pablo Collection
Luxury Bahia Principe Bouganville Don Pablo Collection

Been to Alsol Del Mar? Share your experiences!