“Wonderful Staff, wonderful vacation. HIGHLY recommend!” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Alsol Del Mar

Alsol Del Mar
Ranked #42 of 110 Hotels in Punta Cana
Arizona
“Wonderful Staff, wonderful vacation. HIGHLY recommend!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 June 2014

The most critical component of any resort, in my opinion, is their staff. One can have the most picturesque setting, the most sumptuous food and drink, and the perfect rooms, but if one gets the feeling the staff does not care, then nothing else means too much. The people who work for AlSol Del Mar are a hard-working, delightful eager-to-please group that made this place so memorable.
We stayed at the Al Sol Del Mar resort from 5/24-5/31 and had a marvelous time. If you like a small, quiet, and beautiful place to vacation in the Dominican Republic, then this is the place for you. The rooms are spacious suites and we were pleasantly surprised to find it fully equipped with a full sized stocked refrigerator, washer and dryer, stove, microwave, dishes and silverware. Our suite was two story with living quarters downstairs and bedroom upstairs. A balcony looked out over the pool, grounds and beach. We enjoyed coffee each morning on our balcony.
The food is good at Del Mar, but being vegan, we ate some of our meals at their sister resort, The Santuary, which is only a ten minute walk down the lovely beach. Don’t get me wrong, the restaurant staff was quite amendable to making changes in their menu items to suit our needs, but it was fun trying out the other five restaurants at the Sanctuary as well. So being vegetarian or vegan is rather easy to do there!
We met a lot of other wonderful guests during our stay. That is another benefit of a small place.
There was never a problem getting chairs at the spacious pool or beach. The chairs are very comfortable as well. They have a nice swim-up bar at the pool, but if you wish, you don’t even have to leave your seat at the pool or beach. The staff continually checks on each guest taking drink AND food orders from the bar and pool grill. And once they find out what type of drink you like, don’t be surprised if they out-of-the-blue show up with one without you even asking.
Michael is the activities director and does a remarkable job of getting activities going around the pool with dart and bocce ball tournaments, drink making lessons, dance lessons, and even shopping trips into town. He also leads a bicycle tour of the area each morning which is worth taking part in. Well done Michael!
Our new found friends Santiago, Geraldino, Jean Carlos, Confesor, Ezequiel, and many others make this place special! The entire staff shines. My wife and I were sitting on the beach the day before we were to leave. A lady dressed in a white housekeeping uniform came up to us accompanied by Karen, the concierge director. She wanted to tell us that she had found a $20 bill on the floor that I had apparently dropped and wanted to bring it to us. I wanted to say “just keep it”, but I didn’t. I merely thanked her for being so honest. My wife told me it was better not to just give it to her, but instead reward her at the end of our stay—which we did. You can genuinely tell that each and every employee is there to take care of you and they take great care in doing so. The obvious zest, enthusiasm, and happiness each of them employs in doing their duties was refreshing and I will take this lesson back with me.
If it wasn’t such a gorgeous place, the lessons learned from the staff is more than enough to recommend the AlSol Del Mar to everyone. I am ready to go back!

2 Thank AZTedandBarbee
Saskya C, Manager at Alsol Del Mar, responded to this review, 27 June 2014
Dear AZTedandBerbee,

What a great feeling it is for us to read reviews like yours. We are honored by your words and thank you very much for acknowledging the magnificent group of people that make AlSol del Mar such a special place.

It makes us really happy to know that the honesty, dedication and hard work of the team has left lasting impressions on you. We proudly showcase true Dominican hospitality and our goal is to ensure that everyone leaves AlSol del Mar with new friends, happy memories and a desire to come back.

We will be honored and look forward to welcome you again!

Hasta pronto!

Saskya Carrasco
Hotel Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (181)
Buffalo, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 May 2014

I'd like to say this vacation was a gift, so when I arrived at this resort with my two cousins, I was so impressed the lobby was beautiful and the staff was great! We were served champagne by Nicolas, he was so friendly. We proceeded to our room, it was beautiful! The view was amazing,
to the left the ocean, palm trees white sandy beach, to the right we could see the whole grounds! The restaurant was so nice, outside patio, the service was amazing. Jean Carlos he was so friendly and that smile just brightened your day! The food was Awesome!! We had the pleasure of meeting Sergio, he was friendly and funny!! Roberto was friendly too. We spent a lot of time at the pool, swim up bar, beautiful view in the pool to the beach. That's when we met Mikael! Mikael was my favorite, he brought people together to play bocce ball, horse shoes, he was funny and just a pleasure to be with. Mikael arranged trips to Casino, shopping, he was our tour guide. He made us laugh! Mikael was so very entertaining and he is Awesome at his job! The Yuile worked with Mikael, we just loved her, she was so kind and funny, the resort is so lucky to have these two people! The staff at the pool bar and grill were excellent, Cristian was our dancing waiter, Miguel bartender, kept the drinks flowing so fun to talk with! The staff at this resort was EXCELLENT! Angel was so funny and sweet. Manuel and Jose, Confesor, Oracio and Alejandro, Miguel, Ezequiel, we loved you all! Maria was housekeeping and she was so sweet! I would highly recommend this resort, it was the greatest staff ever, the resort is beautiful, the views are amazing, it's so relaxing. There are sister resorts, if you want loud and partying. We went to Santuary, and the staff was very friendly to us. We had dinner at Blue Marlin, I felt the food was 100% better at Alsol Del Mar (thank you to our Chefs) This was the best vacation ever, I learned to dance, I ate so much food, the drinks were great, the Staff was AMAZING, I HIGHLY
RECOMMEND THIS RESORT! The beds were very comfortable!! I will be back! Sandro thank you for the wonderful send off when we left!

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank ccvei
Saskya C, Manager at Alsol Del Mar, responded to this review, 27 June 2014
Dear ccvei,

Thank you so much for taking the time to share your experience of staying at AlSol del Mar for other travelers to see. We absolutely love to read reviews where we see testimony that our main goal has been achieved: to provide and excellent vacation experience for our guests, where they leave with happy memories, new friends and with the desire to come back.

We have forwarded your comments to the fine individuals you make mention of. They are always motivated by the fact that their outstanding service has been noticed.

The entire AlSol del Mar team looks forward to having the honor of welcoming you again, in the meantime we remain at your service!

Best regards,

Saskya Carrasco
Hotel Manager
Great Mills,
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 May 2014

After reading the "bad" reviews I was a little skeptical of this resort, but was immediately pleasantly surprised upon arrival. I would like to prelude my review with stating that my husband and I are VERY laid back travelers. We make the most out of everything, and have rarely experienced a bad time or horrible place.

This was our first trip to DR. We booked through Orbitz, and just a tip - make sure you are booking the All Inclusive package FOR SURE. We did not do this and ended up upgrading at the hotel, which was no problem at all and not that expensive either.

Another tip for travel, Alsol has recently taken over this property, and most local people know it as "Soto Grande". It is located next to Sanctuary in Cap Cana. I feel that if I hadn't read this somewhere else and presented it to our pre-booked transportation people, we would have gotten lost, as others have.

This is a VERY quiet resort. It does not have the typical hustle and bustle of other all-inclusive resorts, but the service is better than any other hotel I have stayed at in my life. Upon arrival, we were greeted with champagne and smiles. There is no "club" or anything like that so you are in for just a quiet, relaxing time. The lobby bar is great and you can sit outside to enjoy your drinks.

You can see that the resort is new and has not been fully brought up to the "luxury" standards as we know it in the United States, but it is very clean and the employees are all very nice. Even the workers fixing up the buildings are friendly. It appears to be a sort of "condo-hotel," and not all of the buildings were in use. We stayed in building 10, and the view was PHENOMENAL! I suggest upgrading your room prior to arrival. Some rooms have a hot tub on the balcony, and we would have preferred that. The beds are kind of hard, but we were exhausted at the end of each day and just crashed.

Like I said, this place is very quiet, but we appreciated the relaxing time. It was nice that people were not coming up to us trying to sell us trinkets and things like they do on the beach at the bigger resorts. Also, the hotel is in a gated community where they monitor who comes in and out.

Touching on the staff, every person we encountered was EXCELLENT! We especially had great interactions with Edwin, Santiago, and Horatio. Even though everyone was friendly and helpful, these three people really made our vacation memorable and fun. We didn't feel like there was much of a language barrier and really appreciated that everyone spoke English with us and helped with my Spanish a little bit :)

We stayed within the resort most of the time, but booked some excursions through the hotel. Scape Park Zipling and Dune Buggies, and Saona Island. Both were awesome and fun days for us. Even if we didn't do any excursions, I think we would have had an excellent time just lounging around the hotel.

As many other travelers have said, there are no "amenities" at this hotel as far as a gift shop for toiletries or ATM. However, there is a cash machine at the Marina, which another American traveler said was not compatible with his card (he had some sort of VISA bank card), but Sanctuary (the hotel directly next to alsol) can do a cash advance for a 10% charge. The fact that there was no ATM is our only gripe about the hotel. Cash is VERY important to have on hand, especially small bills for tipping.

We went to Sanctuary one day to check it out, since you can use their facilities, and I will agree with others that the staff was very rude to us compared to our friends at Alsol. The food was ok. We liked the food at Alsol, despite what others have said about it. There is only one restaurant in addition to the pool Bar/Grill, but there are varied menus. We enjoyed all of our meals at the restaurant, except for one day at the pool.

We were unable to participate in some of the activities, but thankfully made it to Bingo our last night. It was fun with lots of giggles and prizes. We had a great time!

Also of note, the photos posted by both travelers and management are accurate. This property is absolutely beautiful!

Overall, AMAZING trip! We will definitely be back to this resort!

Room Tip: Building 10 has great view of ocean and lagoon.
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank ajolliver
Charlotte, North Carolina
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 May 2014

We stayed here for our honeymoon and this place was so nice. The best part of the resort is the staff. They are so nice and attentive. We were defitnely spoiled during our stay. They have an awesome view of the beach and the grounds are well maintained.

1 Thank Courtney D
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 May 2014

My family just returned from our vacation yesterday. My husband and I along with our children visited the Dominican Republic for the first time and came across this hotel on TripAdvisor. We stayed 9 nights.

We booked w/Expedia and had been told that we had a room with an ocean view. I was also told that there was no guarantee (of the view) and to wait until check-in and see what the hotel had available.

I had pre-booked/paid for the airport transportation online from PUJ. However, because there are no Alsol del Mar signs on the street around the hotel, we were brought to the wrong location twice. Our taxi for our trip back home was late because they also went to the wrong location. They need some better signage. I was worried that our taxi wasn't going to show up and that we'd miss our flight home.

Upon arriving to the hotel, the bell boy (I think it was Sandro) helped us exit the taxi, then we were greeted by the concierge, Jhoangli. He was very welcoming and made us feel at home. The floral fragrance once you walk into the lobby is a little strong to us, though. I also found the temperature in the lobby to be too cool (sometimes cold) during our stay.

Nicolas, the bartender, was great. He's very pleasant. He gave my husband and I champagne and slushies for kids. I don't drink, so he asked what else I would like and swapped my champagne for lemonade. We all liked seeing him in the lobby. It was fun to chat with him. When we'd see him (or Horacio), he and my husband would talk about sports, especially basketball, and I know my husband enjoyed that considering we were on vacation during the NBA Playoffs.

This hotel is very quiet and relaxing. We, literally, were the only ones out at the pool one day. Maybe more than once :-) . It was a little odd at first, but we enjoyed the lack of noise and crowds. It is a very calm place, and time seemed to stand still. I liked hearing the sound of the ocean with the perfect volume of music by the pool. Not too loud, and not too soft.

Our room faced the back of the hotel on the ground floor. The first thing we see from the very large sliding glass doors are two abandoned buildings. Not what we expected. You probably would have a good view of the ocean from the 2nd or 3rd floors (facing the back), but from the ground, it wasn't very good.

The room itself was HUGE. It was a two bedroom unit with a large washer and dryer, a full-sized kitchen and new appliances. A great room, but we didn't like the view, so the next day (because we had come in during the evening after dinner), Jhoan let us know what was available, and we moved to another ground unit (was two adjoining rooms, actually) with a pool view. The ocean was partially visible from the room and fully visible once we were out on the patio - much better.

Jhoan really wanted us to be happy with our room, and we appreciated his help. The kids had a smaller room with two queen beds, flat screen TV, a washer and dryer, and kitchenette. Our rooms had the ability to be closed off from each other, but we left the doors open. Our unit also had a pool/spa on the patio which was convenient. The patio spa had many, many loose and missing tiles, on which my daughter hurt her toe. We were also a very short walk from the hotel pool and poolside restaurant.

The other concierges, Yvelicce, Victor, and Pedro were also very pleasant. You definitely get the vibe that everyone wants you to enjoy your stay. I happened to be walking to our room one evening and saw Ana Cristina, the Housekeeping Manager, and she asked me how we were enjoying ourselves and if everything was well in our room. I speak Spanish (not fluently, though), so we had a great conversation. She was SO friendly and even helped me with my español :-) .

Speaking of the housekeeping, our room was cleaned very well. Señora Elena was very thorough. I liked her. She let me know that she was going on vacation, so we didn't see her for our last two days. I liked knowing that we would have someone else coming to clean our room, as were used to seeing her. Yadira cleaned our room, and I enjoyed meeting Maria, as well. They all did a great job. They were quick yet did not sacrifice cleanliness for the sake of speed.

I like meeting people and talking to them, and the maids were very friendly. Even a maid who never cleaned our room, whom I'd see around the property, was friendly. I'd see her, and we'd exchange pleasantries. I can't remember her name, but she has a ponytail and wore eyeliner and clips in her hair. She was pleasant. I mention her appearance because I know management reads these reviews, and I want her to know that she contributed to my stay being a memorable one.

Yuli and Michael were usually in charge of entertainment. My kids enjoyed the games and crafts. We also enjoyed Bingo, which Michael organized.

The servers at the restaurants were very friendly. I always liked seeing Luis. He was SO pleasant and has a friendly smile. He was always in a good mood. Cristian was good, too. Sergio, the manager, was fantastic. A very nice man who wanted us to enjoy the food and our stay. We really liked Hossee. He would bring our evening room service. He was awesome. A great disposition. José was helpful as well. Morning room service was brought by Jean Carlos. He was very tall, so my husband, a former basketball player, talked to him about basketball, too. Jean Carlos was friendly, and we enjoyed his service.

About the food, but I'm sorry to say this, as I know the folks work very hard, but it is not great. I so enjoyed our stay, but the food was just okay. We would ask for a steak cooked "medium," and it would usually be very well done. Not tasty for us. This was most of the time. We asked for scrambled eggs once, but we got several plates of sunnyside up. Yuck. I think there should be additional training here. I don't fault the workers. I recommend that upper levels of management be more clear about what "medium" or "scrambled" actually means. I even asked for the eggs using Spanish, so it wasn't a language issue.

We ended up going with all-inclusive, though we didn't begin our trip that way. I HIGHLY recommend it. You're going to pay 18% tax and an additional 10% service fee every meal.

You can also go to the sister resort if you have all-inclusivity. The Sanctuary is busier and noisier. We were always glad to return to Alsol del Mar where it was quiet.

But, be forewarned, it seems that once the workers find out you are from del Mar, they are RUDE. After having very friendly service at del Mar, we were not thrilled to have the attitudes from Sanctuary. Not sure if they're snobby or feel inconvenienced by our presence, but they were not what we were used to. I know this is an Alsol del Mar review, but this is relevant if you use your all-inclusive letter there.

The friendliest people from Sanctuary were Raul Mendez at Casa Bella, Cesarin and José Miguel (Bell Boys?), Bolivar from restaurants, the hostess from the Italian restaurant and Blue Marlin (long, dark pontail), Maria and Manuel from breakfast buffet at Casa Bella. I'm not implying that ALL the others were rude, but these people stood out as friendly. They could have been from Alsol del Mar because they were that friendly and customer service focused. It seemed natural.

As I said, the food is so-so at Alsol del Mar, but our last evening there, we ate at The Grill, their poolside restaurant, and it was our best meal of the vacation. The boneless chicken tenders were super-tasty. We had them for the first time. I ordered two additional plates because the family really liked them. The freshly made BBQ sauce was very tasty. I have to mention that the ceviche and steamed grouper with garlic sauce were very good, too. The fresh - squeezed orange juice at breakfast was delicious. The guacamole was tasty with either of the freshly fried plantains or chips. The beef was flavored but overcooked. The chicken breast would be okay. Not great but okay.

'Sorry to be long, but I appreciated the detailed reviews on this site when planning our vacation. To sum it all up, you will have a relaxing vacation at Alsol del Mar. The people are fantastic. They are hard-working and make you feel like a welcomed guest. The rate is good, too.

Btw, My husband thought the beds were too hard. They were on the firmer side, but I was able to sleep well after I got used to how firm they were. I typically am a back-sleeper an didn't mind the extra back support.

Thanks.

• Stayed May 2014
6 Thank Tasheela H
West Boylston, Massachusetts, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 May 2014

My experience with Alsol Del Mar was wonderful. It was clean, friendly, and very relaxing. Our room had a beautiful view of the ocean, a great way to wake up in the morning, listening to the birds, watching the palm trees sway in the breeze, and hearing the ocean waves, while enjoying our coffee. The staff is awesome, I have never experienced such great service, even on the cruises I have been on, and there have been plenty. The people are always cheerful and there to assist you in anyway to make your stay enjoyable. My suggestion is to watch for the deals and go.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
Rowley, Massachusetts
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 May 2014

Terrible, Terrible, Terrible is all I can say...
1/ Booked a "suite" only to get a standard room. When I showed the front desk my email confirmation which THEY had previously sent me, their response was 'oh well, too bad". They claimed there were no other rooms available.
When I demanded a full refund, they found me a better room.

2/ The food inside the hotel was mediocre at best. The food at the pool was acceptable.

3/ Out of 6 massive buildings - capable of housing hundreds of people - there were only perhaps 20-25 guests at the entire complex. This begs to ask the question: Why couldn't I get my 'suite"?

Absolutely, boring!

4/ After the 2nd day, I had to leave - just to disappointing.
I was charged an additional day so I had to pay for 3 days.

Now, here's the clincher...the hotel refused to issue the credit then and there...I will get the refund in 2 weeks. Well, it's been over a month and nothing.

I'll do the math for accuracy: I initially paid RD$ 80,130.50 ($1,874.40 US) BUT I only owed RD$ 24,039.15 ($559.05 US).

Saskya Carrasco: Can I have my $1,350.35 US back NOW. After all, I have it in writing that's what you owe me.

5/ Now, to be fair, Michael at the pool & the gentleman that handled our car was VERY nice.

Mike Sabatini

VIK Hotel Cayena Beach
#78 of 110 in Punta Cana
Grand Palladium Palace Resort Spa & Casino
Grand Palladium Bavaro Suites Resort & Spa

Been to Alsol Del Mar? Share your experiences!