“Very large resort, food needs improvement & what is up with the lack of wash towels your room?”

Grand Bahia Principe Bavaro
Ranked #62 of 113 Hotels in Punta Cana
Reviewed 25 March 2011

If you are looking for a huge resort to vacation at then the Punta Cana - Gran Bahia Principe Bavaro Resort is the place for you. There are several resorts within this the Bavaro; one being an all adult section, another section is a bit more upscale, if that is more to your liking, as a result the variety of accommodations is plentiful. The lobbies are beautiful and the entire resort is immaculately clean. The staff is very friendly but most do not speak English or very little English. Your main staff; check-in, main restaurant servers, main bar staff and entertainment staff do a fine job at speaking English, however if you ask other staff questions, or directions or for something as simple as getting wash cloths in your room ~ good luck!! You better brush up on your Espanola! As this was our 2nd time in Punta Cana, after staying at the Dreams Palm Beach, this was the first time we experienced a language barrier. The food at the buffets, although abundant, was adequate, let’s just say it was not something to write home about. On the other hand, the Japanese and Italian restaurants were very good. If you are not fortunate enough to get a room close to the beach then you have two choices for getting to the beach; walk a distance (which could be a huge distance if you get a room like we did which was approx 2 miles back from the beach) or you could take the trolley to and from the beach. At least they weren’t slacking with transportation for their guests…As far as pools go, yes there are many, however there aren’t any cocktail servers at the pool, so if you like to constantly get up to fetch your drinks while you are on vacation, rest assured you can expect to do this here!! Although we will return to Punta Cana, we won’t be staying at the Bavaro. Hope our feedback helps you with your vacation decision.

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (10,746)

Reviewed 25 March 2011

This was our 2nd trip to this resort in 3 years. We were last here in October 2007. I still find it difficult to understand how this resort still gets the odd bad review; people must either be very picky or serial complainers.

Anyway this place is fantastic; we were in the Golden club area of the resort, which is located right near the beach. The rooms/suites are very nice and well equipped with TV, iron, hair dryer, mini fridge etc. Everything you would expect. We tipped the maid a couple of dollars each day and she kept our room very tidy and mini bar stocked.

We went to the beach most days as the pool areas tend to get busy and a little noisy with music being played by the Entertainment staff as they run various activities in or around the pool. So if you want somewhere quiet to read a book etc I would recommend the beach, which is very well looked after.

Depending on the package you have booked you get a number of a la carte restaurant bookings per week. Although the buffet is fantastic with lots of choice every night, I highly recommend booking your a la carte restaurant for that extra special touch. Our favourites where the gourmet, Italian and seafood restaurants.

The evening’s entertainment was very good, I highly recommend the Lion king and Michael Jackson shows. If you don't want to watch the shows you can enjoy a drink in the lobby.

Although English isn't the first language of the staff, they understood us very easily and were very friendly.

All in all our holiday was fantastic and I recommend it to anyone.

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Suggy1982
Reviewed 25 March 2011

This place was just unbelievable. The food at the ala carte was not really good but the buffet was great. We stayed at the Ambar which is adult only and it was the best place on the strip. The staff was amazing and very greatful. We tipped our maid and gave him one last tip on the last day we were there to say goodbye and he was literally in tears he was so greatful. This is ALL of the staff they were just great. I cannot say enough. we had fresh flowers all over our room everyday, the entire place is spotless. we will difinately be going back to this resort. If people are writing bad reviews then I believe that these people will find something wrong with anyplace and are just miserable and need to relax and lighten up a little.

Reviewed 25 March 2011

This resort is huge!!! We stayed in the Premier Club which has it's own pool and restaurants, but is far away from the beach. Pros-very clean, good food, beautiful and lots to do. Cons-can't get in to the ALA Cartes even when booking way ahead, too far from beach and very crowded beach. Too many people feel like they can put a towel on a chair and then never show up. It's annoying. I say first come first serve. Booze is good, but mixed drinks are very sweet. Beer is very good. I recommend the BBQ and the Garden Grill-both were very good. I do not recommend the Sante Fe-food there was bad and so was the service.

Reviewed 24 March 2011

Beautiful but very large resort. Everything was so neat and clean. Excellent weather, excellent hard working staff, beautiful pools, goodcdrinks, beach small for the size of the resort, food pretty good, shows pretty good, lots of shopping, rooms in great shape but beds were hard. Would go back tomorrow!

• Stayed: March 2011
Reviewed 21 March 2011

We are a well travelled group (experienced many all inclusives) comprised of two families ranging from 3 years old to 15. We enjoyed everyminute. Service was great, food was solid, all kids loved the resort. Although it is big we actually enjoyed bussing around and the shuttles ran constantly. We never waited for more than 5 minutes at the most.
Rooms were average but very clean. We had a problem with the bathroom but it was addressed immediately and this during a very busy time for the resort (March Break). Follow up from customer service was also consistent

Lots of different a al carte restaurants. Food and service at these were average but always lots of choices.

Many many pools to select from so if you want quiet or busy there is always a place to go.

We found if you didn't go early to the beach you didn't get the best spots but we didn't care and always found a chair and simply moved to a better location mid afternon when the early birds left to go somewhere else.

Excursions were plentiful and easy to book. The staff of these was fun. Highly recommend the catamaran sunrise cruise. It was outstanding. Staff was beyond entertaining.

Very very clean resort. I think that someone was cleaning all day and all night.

Buffets were good and food was replenished often except on Sunday which we think might be their highest turnover day. Staff seemed less attentive and more interested in rushing us on but this never happened the entire week except the day we were leaving - which is too bad because it was so great up until then

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank bbl_canada
Reviewed 20 March 2011

Honestly, when reading these reviews before we left I was a bit nervous even though I have stayed at Gran Bahia resorts numerous times before. After spending the week at the Punta Cana, I have a hard time believing that some of the people who wrote these reviews stayed at the same place I did. I thought it was absolutely amazing, and have not one bad thing to say about it. I have traveled a decent amount within the US, Mexico, Dominican and Europe so I would say I have alot to compare to. Gran Bahia was the best resort I have stayed at yet, and I cannot wait to go back.

Staff:
The service was wonderful, I have never met people who are so pleasant and hardworking, and happy to serve you in any way that they can. That being said, many do not speak English well, but what do you want, they live in a Spanish speaking country! There are enough staff who speak well enough that there should never be an issue that cannot be cleared up in a few minutes. People, TIP THESE WORKERS! My boyfriend and I tipped a couple dollars to literally almost anyone who did everything for us. They were so thankful and it was so worth the service we received. They really deserve the extra money and It was disappointing at how few people tipped these wonderful employees.

Rooms:
We stayed in the Club Golden Principe in Villa 6. I am a frequent Bahia guest so we were able to have a free upgrade to this room and package. We were yards from the pools and beach. We had 24 hour room service. We had the ability to use the Diamond Club pool. We had a private reception area. We got free gifts. And the best of all, we did nto have to eat at the buffet, we were able to eat at Il Capprico, the Italian Rest right next to the Diamond pool for lunch and breakfast everyday .. and it was amazing! Room could use a few upgrades, but it is roomy and clean, I have no complaints.

Pool/Beach:
Crowded, obviously, I am not sure what people expected with a resort of 8000 people. If you get out of bed and save chairs before 9am, you will have no problem getting the spot you want. Who wants to sleep away their vacation anyway?

Food:
The buffets sucked, I will say that. With the Golden Package though we did not ever eat there so it was not an issue. We ate at Mikado, Santa Fe TexMex, Ill Cappricio and El Pescador for the ala carte's. (We got 4 instead of 3 with the golden club). All the food was amazing, I loved it. Japanese steakhouse at Mikado was the best by far and we could watch the cook which is always fun.

Tip --> Email the hotel before you get there to make dinner reservations. We did and when we got there we recieved our reservation tickets and got every restaurant and time we wanted. Also, you can request things via email. I requested a 3rd floor room (I have had bug troubles before, the higher you go, the less likely there will be a problem, trust me). On that note, bring bug spray. The mosquitos bit me up terribly. My boyfriend had not one bite though, so who knows!

You will have a great time, I highly suggest the upgrade. We got it for free since I had been at the Bahia in Mexico before a few times, but it would be worth it even to pay.