We read many of the reviews before booking. As with all reviews it depends on your perspective and what you are looking for. I prefer smaller resorts. We went to Beaches in Negril, Jamaica last year. I liked that better from a size perspective.
Here are some facts. This is a very big resort with 3000 rooms. It is the second biggest in the DR. All the rooms were occupied while we were there.
I will give the Pro's and Con's and then make some additional comments.
- Because it is large it has all the amenities. Spa, 9 restaurants, casino, lot's of choices, Large Buffets, etc.
- Food is good. Drinks are strong and easy to get.
- Plenty of choices in pools, beaches etc. You can spread out, get lost etc.
- The kids seemed to have a great time.
- They provide shuttles so if you don't want to walk it is easy to catch a shuttle to get where you are going.
- They grounds are pretty and well maintained. They are consistently working on them.
- The weather was fantastic.
- Staff is generally friendly.
- Rooms were clean and a nice size.
- It's a big resort. You do not tend to see the same staff. Personal service is very low.
- We had a good room location, but if you do not it could take you a bit to get where you want to go.
- We were two families. 7 in one family, 4 in the other. We asked for rooms together. They did not accommodate our request.
- The check in process was not efficient. They seemed to lack organization.
- They do not tend to respond to requests. We asked for a rollaway bed for one of our rooms at least 5 times and never got the extra bed.
- The mattresses are firm. Which I like, but several in our party thought were too firm.
Some additional thoughts and comments:
We booked through Cheap Caribbean. This is our first experience with them. We paid about $1,200 an adult and $850 a child including flights from Chicago. Based on this I felt the value was good for what we received. The hotel manager did tell us that we should have booked through the hotel to get better service. This answer is not acceptable to me.
The rooms are all suites. However, when they say a sofa bed it is not a fold out sofa. It is a day bed and sleeps one.
Book your restaurants early. We booked the second day we were there. Our times were 8:45, 9:00 and 7:30 on different days then I would have preferred. They would not let us book in advance. Not sure if this is standard or because we booked with Cheap Caribbean.
Again, overall I would recommend this property as long as you know what you are getting.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Facilities and services 2 lake-style pools Large sun terrace New relaxation zone with Bali beds, sun umbrellas and loungers Pool and beach towels BAHIA SPA (additional charge) Sports facilities: gym, 3 tennis courts (floodlit for an additional charge), multi-sports court Water activity centre WiFi access in the lobby (1h per day free of charge) and in rooms (additional charge) Entertainment theatre Wedding gazebo 1 buffet restaurant and 17 speciality restaurants Japanese restaurant 10 bars 3 Snack Bars Cocktail Lounge Punta Blanca Golf Club: 18 hole Golf Punta Blanca Golf Club designed by Nick Price (additional charge) Pueblo Principe: Shopping and Leisure Mall with local craft stores, live music, shows, stores, bars, karaoke, disco and casino Rooms 816 rooms including two types: Superior Junior Suite and Club Hacienda Junior Suite Room facilities: King size bed or two full size beds Fully-equipped bathroom with hydromassage bath tub, hair dryer and magnifying mirror Sitting area with sofa Air conditioning Ceiling fan Telephone Alarm clock Satellite TV Minibar Coffee-making facilities Safe (additional charge) Ironing set Wifi (additional charge) Club Hacienda Junior Suite (See page 18 Club Golden, Club Hacienda) Children Bahia Scouts The hotel is perfect for families, offering a range of facilities tailored especially for children, including the following: Mini Club for children aged 4 to 12 Evening Mini Disco Babysitting service (additional charge) Bahia Scouts Water Park Fun Area and Adventure Park (additional charge) Teens' Club (11-16 years) Other services 24 hour medical service (additional charge) Pharmacy (additional charge) Bus stop opposite the hotel Meeting and convention room Personalised menus (for celiacs, diabetics, etc.) Available on request and subject to circumstances Specialised service for organising weddings, incentive trips, events and anniversaries ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Expedia, Booking.com, TripOnline SA, Odigeo, TravelUp, Priceline, Traveltool, S.L.U., Cancelon and Evoline ltd so you can book your Grand Bahia Principe Bavaro reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Gran Bahia Punta Cana
- Grand Bahia Principe Punta Cana
- Bahia Principe Dominican Republic
- Gran Bahia Principe Bavaro Resort
- Punta Cana Bahia Principe
- Gran Bahia Principe Bavaro Punta Cana
- Principe Punta Cana
- Bahia Punta Cana
- Bahia Resort Principe
- Gran Bahia Principe Dominican Republic