“OMG-3 star resort”

Grand Bahia Principe Bavaro
Ranked #63 of 112 Hotels in Punta Cana
Reviewed 30 March 2011

Went from Mar 22-29..to Punta Cana resort .From 12-52 in age.....Been to MANY all inclusives including the Bahia in Maya Rivera...The only reason we advoided all the negative comments for this resort was because of the great vacation we had at the Maya last year....

Food was a 2 star at best......with the exception of the steakhouse-was amazing...

Staff does not speak english...could not get a drink order right !!!

Everyone on the resort had bites on there arms and legs-brutual...

Heres the plus side-entertainment staff were awesome along with the beaches are beautiful.....
I would stay somewhere different as its very frustrating to fight for something edible to eat and drink....

• Stayed: March 2011
Write a ReviewReviews (10,683)

Reviewed 29 March 2011

A group of friends and I traveled to this hotel through Apple Vacations. Minus them loosing our reservation for the hotel, the overal trip wasn't bad. the food get's pretty repetitive and the rooms in the hotel are pretty boring and dark, but we didn't spend much time in the rooms. Make your reservation for restaurants right away when you arrive because they fill up super quick and your time options wont be much. My favorite restaurant was the Asian, so if you like Asian food, I recommend it! Nightlife was great! We went to the sports bar for karaoke first and then when the club/disco opened at midnight, we went there until it closed at 2 AM; I wished it stayed open longer. The pools are nice and the beaches are beautiful as well. The hotel is indeed huge, but we expected it and there were trollies running non stop, that came to each stop every 5 minutes, so it wasn't bad. Overal I loved the time we spent here and so will you! I recommend it!

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled with friends
Reviewed 28 March 2011

With our second trip to the Dominican Republic, here are some differences and similarities we had found:

- 1st trip only myself got harressed by either sand flees or bed buggs. 2nd trip both my wife and I as well as our two travelling companions were inflicted.

- 1st trip the all personell on the resort seemed genuine and courtious. 2nd trip not so genuine, For example, a waiter whose words were nice by saying how greatfull they were to have us on their resort, while at the same time,looking around at someone or something else?

- Both trips the food, the beach, the sunshine, the excursions were great.

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank june5155
Reviewed 27 March 2011

My 2 girl friends and I just came back from our stay at GBP Bavaro and we had such a great time!I I had read all the previous reviews and was worried about our choice. But here it is, the real truth about GBP Bavaro in Punta Cana!

1- WEATHER
Lets face it, we all go to the Carribean to enjoy hot and sunny days, first and foremost. During our stay, from March 19 to 26, the weather was perfect, between 30 and 35 degrees, few clouds and about 3 minutes of rain through the entire week. True paradise.

2- THE HOTEL
It is true that the resort is huge. You have the GBP Bavaro and the GBP Punta Cana that look the same, same kind of restaurants, buffet, pools, lobby, etc. They share many facilities. Then you have the GBP Esmeralda and the GBP Ambar (the most luxurious one) that are closer to the beach and have fewer rooms. The grounds are spotless and gorgeous. It feels as if you are in a small town and you discover areas every day. You could walk in every hotel but we did not have the right to use the Ambar chairs, pool or bars as well as their private section on the beach (we did tried one day because the beach was full and security had us moved to another area...)

I have read in many reviews that the site is so big that you have to use the trolleys to go from one spot to another. It really was not that bad and you could easily walk from the beach to the lobby buffet for lunch within 10 minutes. The best thing is to request in advance a room in the middle of the resort so you are just as close to the beach than to the main lobby. We asked it when we booked and it worked perfectly.

The fact that the resort is huge has its good and bad. The good: there is a real party ambiance around the main pool at cocktail hour (but you can also go to the second pool, more quiet), the Pueblo Principe area is a lot of fun with its Karaoke bar and the discotheque, and it's just outside the hotel. I had never seen as much people in a discotheque in the Carribean before and it was really fun. The shows at the theater were packed, especially the Michael Jackson one, but its more fun that way, I think. We really liked the Circus show. If you can, wait for the second show, around 10:15 p.m., its less crowded. Finally, with that much people, they have to be very well organized, which they are. Its impressive how the resort is a very well oiled machine.

The bad: the beach was really crowded but it won't ruin your fun (see below)

3- THE BEACH
I am a beach person. I like to wake up early (7:30 a.m.) and spend the entire day on the beach (until 5:30 p.m.) You have to be prepared to play the towel game at this resort if you want a palapa. I was amazed at how many palapas were taken by 8:00 a.m. I had to put my alarm clock at 7:00 a.m. to get one. I even thought that people reserved their chairs at night. If you just want loungers, there is no problem, you will find easily. The area in front of the pool is quite busy and crowded but if you walk on the left side of the resort, in front of the Ambar section, you will find more space.

It is also true that there is some erosion on the beach. We noticed many palm trees exposed closed to the sea. One even fell one night. They took care of it very quickly. It was not enough to ruin our appreciation of the beach. The sand was like powder and the ocean was crystal blue and quite refreshing. Except for the towel reservation game, we absolutely loved the beach.

4- THE ROOMS
The rooms were okay. I have seen nicer rooms in other Gran Bahia but we had everything we needed. The room was cleaned every day and we did not experienced the problems of late cleaning service. We left 2 dollars per day and asked for more towels and we got them without any problems.

The only akward thing was the shower. At first, it looked fancy with a rain drop shower set with a showering faucet as well, marble tiles and a window instead of a shower curtain. The fun started when my friend took the first shower of the week... There was water everywhere! The window was not big enough, the rain drop shower did not work and there was so much water pressure that it was very hard to control. We asked for help 2 times at the lobby but clearly, they did not bother to send someone. At my third attempt, I was told by a lobby man that it was normal because one room had a working shower faucet and another room had a working rain drop shower. It was one or the other. I replied that it was weird and I was answered: yeah it thought so too! It was funny and we did manage to put some towels around the bath and it was fine.

5- THE FOOD
The food at the buffet was really good. There was a lot to choose from: a very nice salad bar with plenty of dressings (including a wide variety of olive oils and vinegars), pasta bar, grill, nachos (delicious guacamole), delicious desserts, fruits... There was a theme every night. Of course, you can't like everything but you could always find something very good to eat.

For the a la carte restaurant, I had read in the previous reviews that it was complicated and long to make the reservations. I decided to send an email ahead to make the reservations and it worked perfectly. When I got there, they had my email and they printed out our coupons. It took 3 minutes.

We tried the Spanish restaurant first: El Meson. The appetizers were served buffet style. The fried calamaris were amazing. The main dish was a bit disappointing but we enjoyed the service. We then tried the Gourmet restaurant and it was very good. It was very well presented and my filet mignon was quite tender. Finally, we had dinner at the Italian restaurant, Il Cappricio. It was also buffet style for the appetizers. There was very good proscuitto and I had an amazing lasagna. Overall, we all enjoyed the food.

6- THE SERVICE
We had amazing service all week. The waiters were always smiling and they were very quick. I think that when you show that you trully respect what they do for you, they give back the same way. It also helps when you try to speak a little Spanish with them. They really appreciate it. We were also able to get any help we needed in French and or English. We were given in our room a plate of fruits and t-shirts for everyone, which was nice.

Overall, it was a great experience and I would recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled with friends
1  Thank JulieG82
Reviewed 26 March 2011

We read many of the reviews before booking. As with all reviews it depends on your perspective and what you are looking for. I prefer smaller resorts. We went to Beaches in Negril, Jamaica last year. I liked that better from a size perspective.

Here are some facts. This is a very big resort with 3000 rooms. It is the second biggest in the DR. All the rooms were occupied while we were there.

I will give the Pro's and Con's and then make some additional comments.

Pros
- Because it is large it has all the amenities. Spa, 9 restaurants, casino, lot's of choices, Large Buffets, etc.
- Food is good. Drinks are strong and easy to get.
- Plenty of choices in pools, beaches etc. You can spread out, get lost etc.
- The kids seemed to have a great time.
- They provide shuttles so if you don't want to walk it is easy to catch a shuttle to get where you are going.
- They grounds are pretty and well maintained. They are consistently working on them.
- The weather was fantastic.
- Staff is generally friendly.
- Rooms were clean and a nice size.

Cons
- It's a big resort. You do not tend to see the same staff. Personal service is very low.
- We had a good room location, but if you do not it could take you a bit to get where you want to go.
- We were two families. 7 in one family, 4 in the other. We asked for rooms together. They did not accommodate our request.
- The check in process was not efficient. They seemed to lack organization.
- They do not tend to respond to requests. We asked for a rollaway bed for one of our rooms at least 5 times and never got the extra bed.
- The mattresses are firm. Which I like, but several in our party thought were too firm.

Some additional thoughts and comments:
We booked through Cheap Caribbean. This is our first experience with them. We paid about $1,200 an adult and $850 a child including flights from Chicago. Based on this I felt the value was good for what we received. The hotel manager did tell us that we should have booked through the hotel to get better service. This answer is not acceptable to me.

The rooms are all suites. However, when they say a sofa bed it is not a fold out sofa. It is a day bed and sleeps one.

Book your restaurants early. We booked the second day we were there. Our times were 8:45, 9:00 and 7:30 on different days then I would have preferred. They would not let us book in advance. Not sure if this is standard or because we booked with Cheap Caribbean.

Again, overall I would recommend this property as long as you know what you are getting.

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank Joe_Munster
Reviewed 26 March 2011

Beautiful Resort ! But it is huge ! Bring your walking shoes if you want to go anywhere. Ambar is much closer to the Beach. I was closer to the main Principe "Lobby" It is approx 1/2 walk to the beach . If you don't get there by 8:30 forget about getting a place to sit at the beach or a pool. All of the chairs have towels on them. I went early one day in the morning and some people never showed up to their " reserved " chairs until after lunch . Some people never showed up at all when I was there.
If you miss a meal there are some muffins available in the lobby but I couldn't find a place that was open. It is catered just to meal times. To get a la carte is impossible but the Buffet had many choices. I found that sometimes it was hard to get a refill of coffee or wine.
The Bartenders at the main lobby were friendly and quick service. The maids were very nice and did a great job in keeping the room clean and tidy. I have been to the Dominican many times and the people have always been friendly and warm. Not so much here. People were very polite but you could tell they weren't happy. Not a lot of smiles with the greeting.
I would not go back to this resort. I don't enjoy rushing to the beach at the crack of dawn to sit by the water. I would like to be at a place where I can make a choice to eat where I want.I would like to stay at a resort where the staff are happy to be there .
If you don't mind walking , love beautiful grounds and like to be around lots of people. You'll love this resort.

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled solo
1  Thank washeeta
Reviewed 25 March 2011

If you are looking for a huge resort to vacation at then the Punta Cana - Gran Bahia Principe Bavaro Resort is the place for you. There are several resorts within this the Bavaro; one being an all adult section, another section is a bit more upscale, if that is more to your liking, as a result the variety of accommodations is plentiful. The lobbies are beautiful and the entire resort is immaculately clean. The staff is very friendly but most do not speak English or very little English. Your main staff; check-in, main restaurant servers, main bar staff and entertainment staff do a fine job at speaking English, however if you ask other staff questions, or directions or for something as simple as getting wash cloths in your room ~ good luck!! You better brush up on your Espanola! As this was our 2nd time in Punta Cana, after staying at the Dreams Palm Beach, this was the first time we experienced a language barrier. The food at the buffets, although abundant, was adequate, let’s just say it was not something to write home about. On the other hand, the Japanese and Italian restaurants were very good. If you are not fortunate enough to get a room close to the beach then you have two choices for getting to the beach; walk a distance (which could be a huge distance if you get a room like we did which was approx 2 miles back from the beach) or you could take the trolley to and from the beach. At least they weren’t slacking with transportation for their guests…As far as pools go, yes there are many, however there aren’t any cocktail servers at the pool, so if you like to constantly get up to fetch your drinks while you are on vacation, rest assured you can expect to do this here!! Although we will return to Punta Cana, we won’t be staying at the Bavaro. Hope our feedback helps you with your vacation decision.

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled as a couple