“loved it” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #57 of 110 Hotels in Punta Cana
Leeds, United Kingdom
“loved it”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 April 2011

travelled here for 14 days. had an excellent time. loved the pools, the ala cartes, the beach(saw a canadian and an american fight). the michael jackson show was brilliant! would definately ecommend as a good resort, esp for the price you pay!

also had facials and manicures in the spa well worth a visitl.

• Stayed May 2010, travelled with friends
2 Thank foxfur

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,200)
  • Czech first
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
  • Turkish first
Winnipeg, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 April 2011

It was a great vacation, we got back on April 2nd. It was fabulous... My husband and I do an all inclusive every year. We do mainly 4-5 stars. This lived up to everything I wanted. We have experienced 4-5 stars in Cuba, Jamaica, Dominican and Mexico.

Our phone didn't work and either our fridge when we first got to our rooms. We went down to the lobby asked them to fix it and within 25 mins, it was fixed.

Loved the swim up bar ... the bartender lionel is awesome and is such a hard worker, he's there at 7 am and is there til 8 pm...

what a beautiful expereince.

had no trouble finding spots on the beach or by the pool....

the food was great also...

• Stayed April 2011, travelled as a couple
3 Thank vleggett
Kingston, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 March 2011

This was our first trip to the Dominican and we had an outstanding time! Our boys (10 and 8) absolutely loved every minute! We stayed in the Diamond Club - much quieter pool area. The service was excellent! Our maid, Santo, was so sweet, and Darling in Diamond Club reception made us laugh every time we saw him! Luis (pool bartender) was so sweet! We did get up early to reserve our chairs at the pool and beach, but only because I'm an early riser! There are always extra chairs around if you need to pull one up. We bought most of our souvenirs at the market on the beach (turn right out of the resort). Market booth #4 was best - the rest too pushy! We paid to go on Tropical Storm catamaran which included a 45min snorkel along a coral reef, lunch, and stops to other sandy beaches. 8-4pm and OIga (our host) was awesome. Steve, our Sunquest agent on the resort, was also very reliable and kind. Overall, we were very impressed! Yes, it's a BIG resort, but with two busy boys - it was perfect! We enjoyed walking around it, but the trolley was always available if needed. Don't read the negative reviews - just go!!!!!

Room Tip: Diamond Club Section Room 33210 (2nd floor)
  • Stayed March 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank Healz123
calgary
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 March 2011

Went from Mar 22-29..to Punta Cana resort .From 12-52 in age.....Been to MANY all inclusives including the Bahia in Maya Rivera...The only reason we advoided all the negative comments for this resort was because of the great vacation we had at the Maya last year....

Food was a 2 star at best......with the exception of the steakhouse-was amazing...

Staff does not speak english...could not get a drink order right !!!

Everyone on the resort had bites on there arms and legs-brutual...

Heres the plus side-entertainment staff were awesome along with the beaches are beautiful.....
I would stay somewhere different as its very frustrating to fight for something edible to eat and drink....

• Stayed March 2011
Cleveland, Ohio
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 March 2011

A group of friends and I traveled to this hotel through Apple Vacations. Minus them loosing our reservation for the hotel, the overal trip wasn't bad. the food get's pretty repetitive and the rooms in the hotel are pretty boring and dark, but we didn't spend much time in the rooms. Make your reservation for restaurants right away when you arrive because they fill up super quick and your time options wont be much. My favorite restaurant was the Asian, so if you like Asian food, I recommend it! Nightlife was great! We went to the sports bar for karaoke first and then when the club/disco opened at midnight, we went there until it closed at 2 AM; I wished it stayed open longer. The pools are nice and the beaches are beautiful as well. The hotel is indeed huge, but we expected it and there were trollies running non stop, that came to each stop every 5 minutes, so it wasn't bad. Overal I loved the time we spent here and so will you! I recommend it!

• Stayed March 2011, travelled with friends
Halifax, Canada
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 March 2011

With our second trip to the Dominican Republic, here are some differences and similarities we had found:

- 1st trip only myself got harressed by either sand flees or bed buggs. 2nd trip both my wife and I as well as our two travelling companions were inflicted.

- 1st trip the all personell on the resort seemed genuine and courtious. 2nd trip not so genuine, For example, a waiter whose words were nice by saying how greatfull they were to have us on their resort, while at the same time,looking around at someone or something else?

- Both trips the food, the beach, the sunshine, the excursions were great.

• Stayed March 2011, travelled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank june5155
Montreal, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 March 2011

My 2 girl friends and I just came back from our stay at GBP Bavaro and we had such a great time!I I had read all the previous reviews and was worried about our choice. But here it is, the real truth about GBP Bavaro in Punta Cana!

1- WEATHER
Lets face it, we all go to the Carribean to enjoy hot and sunny days, first and foremost. During our stay, from March 19 to 26, the weather was perfect, between 30 and 35 degrees, few clouds and about 3 minutes of rain through the entire week. True paradise.

2- THE HOTEL
It is true that the resort is huge. You have the GBP Bavaro and the GBP Punta Cana that look the same, same kind of restaurants, buffet, pools, lobby, etc. They share many facilities. Then you have the GBP Esmeralda and the GBP Ambar (the most luxurious one) that are closer to the beach and have fewer rooms. The grounds are spotless and gorgeous. It feels as if you are in a small town and you discover areas every day. You could walk in every hotel but we did not have the right to use the Ambar chairs, pool or bars as well as their private section on the beach (we did tried one day because the beach was full and security had us moved to another area...)

I have read in many reviews that the site is so big that you have to use the trolleys to go from one spot to another. It really was not that bad and you could easily walk from the beach to the lobby buffet for lunch within 10 minutes. The best thing is to request in advance a room in the middle of the resort so you are just as close to the beach than to the main lobby. We asked it when we booked and it worked perfectly.

The fact that the resort is huge has its good and bad. The good: there is a real party ambiance around the main pool at cocktail hour (but you can also go to the second pool, more quiet), the Pueblo Principe area is a lot of fun with its Karaoke bar and the discotheque, and it's just outside the hotel. I had never seen as much people in a discotheque in the Carribean before and it was really fun. The shows at the theater were packed, especially the Michael Jackson one, but its more fun that way, I think. We really liked the Circus show. If you can, wait for the second show, around 10:15 p.m., its less crowded. Finally, with that much people, they have to be very well organized, which they are. Its impressive how the resort is a very well oiled machine.

The bad: the beach was really crowded but it won't ruin your fun (see below)

3- THE BEACH
I am a beach person. I like to wake up early (7:30 a.m.) and spend the entire day on the beach (until 5:30 p.m.) You have to be prepared to play the towel game at this resort if you want a palapa. I was amazed at how many palapas were taken by 8:00 a.m. I had to put my alarm clock at 7:00 a.m. to get one. I even thought that people reserved their chairs at night. If you just want loungers, there is no problem, you will find easily. The area in front of the pool is quite busy and crowded but if you walk on the left side of the resort, in front of the Ambar section, you will find more space.

It is also true that there is some erosion on the beach. We noticed many palm trees exposed closed to the sea. One even fell one night. They took care of it very quickly. It was not enough to ruin our appreciation of the beach. The sand was like powder and the ocean was crystal blue and quite refreshing. Except for the towel reservation game, we absolutely loved the beach.

4- THE ROOMS
The rooms were okay. I have seen nicer rooms in other Gran Bahia but we had everything we needed. The room was cleaned every day and we did not experienced the problems of late cleaning service. We left 2 dollars per day and asked for more towels and we got them without any problems.

The only akward thing was the shower. At first, it looked fancy with a rain drop shower set with a showering faucet as well, marble tiles and a window instead of a shower curtain. The fun started when my friend took the first shower of the week... There was water everywhere! The window was not big enough, the rain drop shower did not work and there was so much water pressure that it was very hard to control. We asked for help 2 times at the lobby but clearly, they did not bother to send someone. At my third attempt, I was told by a lobby man that it was normal because one room had a working shower faucet and another room had a working rain drop shower. It was one or the other. I replied that it was weird and I was answered: yeah it thought so too! It was funny and we did manage to put some towels around the bath and it was fine.

5- THE FOOD
The food at the buffet was really good. There was a lot to choose from: a very nice salad bar with plenty of dressings (including a wide variety of olive oils and vinegars), pasta bar, grill, nachos (delicious guacamole), delicious desserts, fruits... There was a theme every night. Of course, you can't like everything but you could always find something very good to eat.

For the a la carte restaurant, I had read in the previous reviews that it was complicated and long to make the reservations. I decided to send an email ahead to make the reservations and it worked perfectly. When I got there, they had my email and they printed out our coupons. It took 3 minutes.

We tried the Spanish restaurant first: El Meson. The appetizers were served buffet style. The fried calamaris were amazing. The main dish was a bit disappointing but we enjoyed the service. We then tried the Gourmet restaurant and it was very good. It was very well presented and my filet mignon was quite tender. Finally, we had dinner at the Italian restaurant, Il Cappricio. It was also buffet style for the appetizers. There was very good proscuitto and I had an amazing lasagna. Overall, we all enjoyed the food.

6- THE SERVICE
We had amazing service all week. The waiters were always smiling and they were very quick. I think that when you show that you trully respect what they do for you, they give back the same way. It also helps when you try to speak a little Spanish with them. They really appreciate it. We were also able to get any help we needed in French and or English. We were given in our room a plate of fruits and t-shirts for everyone, which was nice.

Overall, it was a great experience and I would recommend this hotel.

• Stayed March 2011, travelled with friends
Hotel Riu Palace Bavaro
#49 of 110 in Punta Cana
4.0 of 5 bubbles 3,186 reviews
Iberostar Dominicana Hotel

Been to Grand Bahia Principe Bavaro? Share your experiences!