My husband and I just got back from a week stay at the Gran Bahia Principe Bavaro resort. It was really quite beautiful. As everyone has stated, it is a huge resort. Technically the resort is made up of about five resorts owned by the Gran Bahia Prinicipe company so it is huge and your lobby, pools and restaurant choices depend on which resort you are staying at. But, of course you are free to roam wherever you like. The beach was absolutely breathtaking with calm seas to swim and enough lounge chairs for everyone. If you want a shady spot under the palm trees or umbrellas, you should be ready to claim your spot early, like 730-800 am. I am giving the resort the highest rating because of the people; the people working at the resort, other travelers we met from all over the world, and other Dominicans and Haitians outside of the resort that were truly the nicest, most courteous and happy people we have met during our travels.
If you are brave I recommend you rent a car and visit other parts of the island, whether for dinner, sightseeing or just to get away from the crowds at the resort. Capitan Cook is an excellent sea food restaurant with delicious lobster and red snapper. This restaurant is popular with tourists as well as the locals. If you don't think you can handle the auto routes in Punta Cana (I don't blame you either), there are plenty of great taxi services or organized tours for different activities. We highly recomment the Isla Sanoa excursion with Sol Tours. If you speak some spanish try to get on Papa Willy's excursion (Willy explained so much about Dominican culture and was so funny).
Another must do for anyone who wants to dive and never has, a novice or experienced scuba diver is the diving excursions organized through the resort. At the main pool, there is a little stand that offers a free dive so if you have never dove before or need a refresher, it is perfect. My husband and I are novice divers and needed the refresher course. We felt so at ease and comfortable beacuse of Jaos's and Andre 's professionalism and passion for the sport (our dive guides). We did two dives, one at "Shallow" ( which was ,well, a shallow dive at 8 meters and was fine and a wreck dive which is just off the shore in front of the hotel (12 meter dive). We dove with a very experienced scuba couple from England and they enjoyed it as well.
BahiaSpa is also lovely. The decor, the staff and the quality of the services for the price we paid was unbeatable. I got a facial, exfoliating treatment and carribean massage. Fantastic!
The only negatives points we can make our the size of the resort and the food There was a lot of variety in the various buffets and you have many options for restaurants but truly there was nothing that wowed us, even from the a la carte menu.My husband and I live in Paris so maybe we are bit harder to please than other people regarding food because we met loads of people that loved the French and Japanese restaurant.
Regarding the size of the resort, my husband and I really prefer little resorts and weren't prepared for the huge property but with a larger resort, you do have much more amenities and service offerings than a small service hotel or B&B. Also, despite the largeness and how many people are at the resort, the staff really remembered us and made us feel special :). Whether it was a waiter we had spoke to briefly about the weather or the bartender who remembered what drinks we ordered from the day before, to us, that made the trip! All the Dominicans we met were always saying Hola as they passed by, smiling, dancing or singing.
What a beautiful culture and place to visit for your much needed vacation!!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Facilities and services 2 lake-style pools Large sun terrace New relaxation zone with Bali beds, sun umbrellas and loungers Pool and beach towels BAHIA SPA (additional charge) Sports facilities: gym, 3 tennis courts (floodlit for an additional charge), multi-sports court Water activity centre WiFi access in the lobby (1h per day free of charge) and in rooms (additional charge) Entertainment theatre Wedding gazebo 1 buffet restaurant and 17 speciality restaurants Japanese restaurant 10 bars 3 Snack Bars Cocktail Lounge Punta Blanca Golf Club: 18 hole Golf Punta Blanca Golf Club designed by Nick Price (additional charge) Pueblo Principe: Shopping and Leisure Mall with local craft stores, live music, shows, stores, bars, karaoke, disco and casino Rooms 816 rooms including two types: Superior Junior Suite and Club Hacienda Junior Suite Room facilities: King size bed or two full size beds Fully-equipped bathroom with hydromassage bath tub, hair dryer and magnifying mirror Sitting area with sofa Air conditioning Ceiling fan Telephone Alarm clock Satellite TV Minibar Coffee-making facilities Safe (additional charge) Ironing set Wifi (additional charge) Club Hacienda Junior Suite (See page 18 Club Golden, Club Hacienda) Children Bahia Scouts The hotel is perfect for families, offering a range of facilities tailored especially for children, including the following: Mini Club for children aged 4 to 12 Evening Mini Disco Babysitting service (additional charge) Bahia Scouts Water Park Fun Area and Adventure Park (additional charge) Teens' Club (11-16 years) Other services 24 hour medical service (additional charge) Pharmacy (additional charge) Bus stop opposite the hotel Meeting and convention room Personalised menus (for celiacs, diabetics, etc.) Available on request and subject to circumstances Specialised service for organising weddings, incentive trips, events and anniversaries ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Hotels.com, Booking.com, Odigeo, Priceline, Travel Republic (UK), TripOnline SA, 5viajes2012 S.L., Evoline ltd and Cancelon so you can book your Grand Bahia Principe Bavaro reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Gran Bahia Punta Cana
- Grand Bahia Principe Punta Cana
- Bahia Principe Dominican Republic
- Gran Bahia Principe Bavaro Resort
- Punta Cana Bahia Principe
- Gran Bahia Principe Bavaro Punta Cana
- Principe Punta Cana
- Bahia Punta Cana
- Bahia Resort Principe
- Gran Bahia Principe Dominican Republic