“The nicest people!!”

Ranked #60 of 112 Hotels in Punta Cana
San Diego, California
“The nicest people!!”
Reviewed 7 May 2012

My husband and I just got back from a week stay at the Gran Bahia Principe Bavaro resort. It was really quite beautiful. As everyone has stated, it is a huge resort. Technically the resort is made up of about five resorts owned by the Gran Bahia Prinicipe company so it is huge and your lobby, pools and restaurant choices depend on which resort you are staying at. But, of course you are free to roam wherever you like. The beach was absolutely breathtaking with calm seas to swim and enough lounge chairs for everyone. If you want a shady spot under the palm trees or umbrellas, you should be ready to claim your spot early, like 730-800 am. I am giving the resort the highest rating because of the people; the people working at the resort, other travelers we met from all over the world, and other Dominicans and Haitians outside of the resort that were truly the nicest, most courteous and happy people we have met during our travels.

If you are brave I recommend you rent a car and visit other parts of the island, whether for dinner, sightseeing or just to get away from the crowds at the resort. Capitan Cook is an excellent sea food restaurant with delicious lobster and red snapper. This restaurant is popular with tourists as well as the locals. If you don't think you can handle the auto routes in Punta Cana (I don't blame you either), there are plenty of great taxi services or organized tours for different activities. We highly recomment the Isla Sanoa excursion with Sol Tours. If you speak some spanish try to get on Papa Willy's excursion (Willy explained so much about Dominican culture and was so funny).
Another must do for anyone who wants to dive and never has, a novice or experienced scuba diver is the diving excursions organized through the resort. At the main pool, there is a little stand that offers a free dive so if you have never dove before or need a refresher, it is perfect. My husband and I are novice divers and needed the refresher course. We felt so at ease and comfortable beacuse of Jaos's and Andre 's professionalism and passion for the sport (our dive guides). We did two dives, one at "Shallow" ( which was ,well, a shallow dive at 8 meters and was fine and a wreck dive which is just off the shore in front of the hotel (12 meter dive). We dove with a very experienced scuba couple from England and they enjoyed it as well.

BahiaSpa is also lovely. The decor, the staff and the quality of the services for the price we paid was unbeatable. I got a facial, exfoliating treatment and carribean massage. Fantastic!
The only negatives points we can make our the size of the resort and the food There was a lot of variety in the various buffets and you have many options for restaurants but truly there was nothing that wowed us, even from the a la carte menu.My husband and I live in Paris so maybe we are bit harder to please than other people regarding food because we met loads of people that loved the French and Japanese restaurant.

Regarding the size of the resort, my husband and I really prefer little resorts and weren't prepared for the huge property but with a larger resort, you do have much more amenities and service offerings than a small service hotel or B&B. Also, despite the largeness and how many people are at the resort, the staff really remembered us and made us feel special :). Whether it was a waiter we had spoke to briefly about the weather or the bartender who remembered what drinks we ordered from the day before, to us, that made the trip! All the Dominicans we met were always saying Hola as they passed by, smiling, dancing or singing.

What a beautiful culture and place to visit for your much needed vacation!!

Room Tip: Staying at Bavaro, you are closer to the beach but much further from the lobby.
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Rachelle1384

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,221)
  • Czech first
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
  • Turkish first
Toronto
Reviewed 7 May 2012

Recently stayed at the resort. Big. Ten minute walk to the lobby from where our villa complex was. Trams cross the property to shuttle guests in between the beach and the rest of the resort. Grounds are beautiful. Food was generally good in the a la cartes (avoid the red wine!) Beach was clean and well maintained. Rooms were a little dated but clean. Pools and service were great. One big problem is the lack of general information being made available as to where things are in the resort. Even communicating in Spanish will not always get you a straight answer. Bring lots of US dollars if you intend on playing golf or going on excursions.

Room Tip: Ask to have a view not facing the back of the property
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled with friends
4 Thank TorontoRick
Montreal, Canada
Reviewed 6 May 2012

We are a 34 year old couple and we stayed at the Gran Bahia Principe Bavaro for 2 weeks from April 2 to April 16. Whenever we travel we really like to stay in small resorts but being Easter season we were limited in our last minute choices. We booked 10 days before leaving and got a great price for this resort, so we figured that we would take a chance on this very large resort. We figured that when we arrived there we would be able to switch over to the Ambar or Esmeralda but once we got there we were told that they were fully booked and would have to wait till the last 4 days of our vacation to switch over. We never made the switch over because firstly it was not worth it for 4 days and secondly we were satisfied with our location. Before leaving our travel agent placed requests to be placed close to amenities and the beach etc... because I have multiple sclerosis with many health issues, I get very tired very quickly and the heat bothers me quite a bit. We were placed in building 74 on the second floor. This building was perfectly located within this large complex because it was right behind the Ambar centrally located and we had a pool close to our room in order for us to bask in the sun in the afternoons! Many restaurants were close by and we were right on route for the trolley that passed frequently. We were able to walk to the lobby area as well as walk to the beach area all the time. Yes, the resort is very large but we made do!

FOOD: We are italians who cook and eat very well and we hope to have good food on our travels. I must say the food at this resort is VERY GOOD and sometimes EXELLENT!!! There are many restaurants to choose from at night but you must reserve as soon as you arrive at your resort in order for you to have a decent choice. We were quite flexible and were given reservations at 6-7 restaurants of our choice at decent hours (between 6:30 and 7:30) Claudia was the person taking care of us here and she was very friendly and quite helpful. We enjoyed the Cappricio, Gourmet, Meson, Pescador, Steakhouse. We also tried the Japanese restaurant, but we did not enjoy it as much. The food at the buffet was also very good with alot of variety. We went to the buffet frequently at breakfast, lunch and supper and were quite impressed with the food and the service. There were chefs at the grills of the buffet who took good care care of us. BUT ...we tipped everyone and everywhere and the end of our meals. Maybe that is why we were served very well. The grills at the beach were also good but the choices were limited and we got fed up of it and alternated with the buffet for lunch. We met the executive chef Francesco who was a very pleasant and sociable person. We became friends and spoke frequently with him. Upon his request we gave him our input and impressions of all the restaurants and buffet and he used this information to ameliorate the way things run in the restaurants. We also met his assistant Thomas who was equally friendly and helpful with all things food related!

ACCOMODATIONS: The rooms are very large and well decorated as well as the bathrooms. Everything is always very clean and towels were changed. I don't care if the maid changes my bed every few days as long as she changes it if it is dirty. I showered before bed so how dirty can it be! Besides do we change our beds at home every day??? Everyday we tipped our maid and mini bar person (who are probably the same person!!!) We always had flowers and towel art!

GROUNDS: Beautiful!!! Lots of foliage and flowers and trees...They kept it immacculate! There were men who were repairing the floors of the "streets" and "sidewalks". That's probably because the owner of the resort was set to arrive at the hotel 3 days after we left!!!

BEACH: Absolutely amazing!!! I think that besides the carribean side of the island this resort has the best beaches. The sand is soft and white and quite clean. There were workers passing everyday cleaning the sand. The ocean is turquoise and calm. We barely ever had large waves we were able to swim everyday! We know waves because we have been to the Barcelo and The Hard Rock and they have such large waves you could barely swim in the ocean. Some people say that they had a large ship sunk near the resort in order to keep the ocean calm but I don't think that is true because next door at the Riu the ocean is just as beautiful!

POOL: There are 3 pools on the resort. There is a very large pool by the beach which we visited on our first day but it was too noisy and crowded so we never returned. Then there are 2 other pools close to each other right in the middle of the resort. One of these pools has activities and a bar, but 2 people vomited in it so we didn't go back. Then there is the other similar sized pool closest to our room with a bar and music and truly fun bartenders...shout out to Caldito, Cesar and Lidia!!! This was our favorite pool and we stayed there in the afternoons.

Overall we had a great time and we would probably return if the price was really right. But I would probably prefer to return to smaller resorts on the island. If I was to properly rate this resort I would say that it is a solid 4.5 star. I say this because a true 5 star resort has extra perks such as concierge and bartenders by the pool and beach, the resort would be smaller and the rooms would be much more modern looking ( as we are used to with other resorts) the tv's in the rooms would be larger and the bathrooms would have seperate showers and baths. But hey that's just my opinion!!!

Room Tip: Building 74 is centrally located
10 Thank jewels_7777
Lorain, Ohio
Reviewed 5 May 2012

Just returned (5/4) from a 7 night stay at this resort. We were pretty happy with the vacation as a whole. First let me say that the grounds are absolutely beautiful! Hundreds of palms throughout as well as on the beach. The beach was clean aside from a little seaweed a couple days. You can walk for miles in either direction on the beach. There are several pools ( i think 4). The pool nearest the beach was the party pool... loud, music, games, lots of drinking. I saw 2 swim up bars, both with lots of seating. We never had a problem getting chairs on the beach or at the pools. Early risers get the best seats. The service was good. People seem happy, always singing. Food in the ala cartes was good. Buffet was just ok. I never starved. The beer (bohemia ?) not so good. The rooms are blah and could use some updates. There are trams that run all day but there is still a lot of walking. I would go back.

Room Tip: we were in building 32, which was centered between beach and lobby & it worked for us. It did no...
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
5 Thank captainD
Massachusetts
Reviewed 3 May 2012

We recently stayed at this resort in the Premier section. The property is extremely large but we found it easy to get around and a beautiful place. The service from all of the staff was very good. We did not have any bad experiences with the food and found that there was plenty of variety. It was very easy to make reservations at many of the resturants and you do it all at once rather than on a day by day basis.

We took one trip off site to go ziplining which was excellent and well worth it.

The casino on the property was a bit run down and small. We took a taxi one night to the Hard Rock Casino which was very nice.

2 Thank bobbcpa
Bedford, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 2 May 2012

My wife and I just returned from a four day trip to this resort and there are several things that need to be mentioned to any prospective traveler. I will go over the not so great things first. First is that this resort is HUGE! The hotel lobby was at least a 15 minute walk to the beach. The rooms, or 'villas' were between the lobby and the beach so you had a fair amount of walking to get to the beach, even from your room. They did have shuttles that ran constantly, but I personally like a much smaller resort. Second was the most irritating for me and that was you had to pay to use the safe in your room! Four dollars a day to lock your things up. In all my years of traveling ive have never had to rent the safe. Third, we had very small insects in our room. Almost invisible to the naked eye, but there were hundreds of them running around. I understand that we were on the first floor and it was quite humid, but its not too difficult to get rid of the bugs. Finally, I didnt find this resort very convienient. Nothing was close to where we were. The bar on the beach was a fair walk and it wasnt easy to get anywhere you may have wanted to go. Also, the staff wasnt very friendly, but i suppose that was more a factor of a language barrier than anything.

Now for the good stuff. With the exception of the bugs in our rooom, the resort was very well maintained for the size of it. The landscaping was immaculate and the lobby was very clean. The dining room was the largest and nicest of any I have ever stayed in. The food was good, not great. The local fish selections were some of the best fish I've ever had and I always could find something i liked. Stay away from the wine in the restaurant. It is nothing like American wine. It was horrid..Also i loved the price. We booked within a weeks notice and paid next to nothing so I'm finding it hard to complain, but im sure others booked way in advance and paid much more than we did. I also want to give a big thumbs up to our apple rep. She was always available and was very helpful. In general, I would and will use apple again, I just probably wont go to the Gran Bahia Principe Bavaro again..
Now for the go

Room Tip: Ask for a room close to the beach if you want to spend alot of time there.
12 Thank rksdmd
Mississauga, Canada
Reviewed 1 May 2012

My friend and I had an AMAZING time at Bavaro! The food, people and customer service was excellent. Although it was large, the hospitality of the staff made it feel like home. They were friendly and always willings to help (especially Jimmy in guest services). He was kind and resourceful - He took the time to make sure we always had everything we needed.

I would definitely go back, the beach was beautiful and the resort was very clean. I was impressed at the way that managers on the resort took the time to lend a helping hand and they were not afraid to support the staff in getting the job done. I also noticed the attention to detail and the pride that staff members took in maintaining the resort. The trolly / bus drivers were so helpful and always took the time to point us in the right direction.

The steak house was AMAZING and the staff members were so pleasant and helpful - that was one of the best dining experiences we ever had!

We loved Gran Bahia Bavaro! See you again soon :)

Room Tip: Pick a room in the middle of the resort, you're 1/2 way inbetween the beach and lobby
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled with friends
Grand Bahia Principe La Romana
Alsol Luxury Village
Alsol Luxury Village
#86 of 112 in Punta Cana

Been to Grand Bahia Principe Bavaro? Share your experiences!