Grand Bahia Principe Bavaro
The Reserve at Paradisus Palma Real(Punta Cana)(Great Value!)
US$433
US$325
Melia.com
Occidental Caribe(Punta Cana)(Great Value!)
US$175
US$146
Barcelo.com
US$210
Paradisus Palma Real Golf & Spa Resort(Punta Cana)(Great Value!)
US$391
US$293
Melia.com
  • Breakfast included
Paradisus Punta Cana Resort(Punta Cana)(Great Value!)
US$340
US$293
  • Breakfast included
Dreams Punta Cana Resort & Spa(Punta Cana)(Great Value!)
US$315
US$261
  • Breakfast included
Dreams Palm Beach Punta Cana(Punta Cana)(Great Value!)
US$305
US$960
US$762
US$763
US$1,198
TripAdvisor
10,920 results
All reviewsgarden grillclub diamonda la carte restaurantsmain buffetkaraoke barbbq restaurantcloser to the beachmain poolguest servicesthomas cooklarge resortseafooddominican republicsteakbeach poolother resortst shirts
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 15 August 2014

Plan was to celebrate my friend's birthday weekend in Dominican Republic and she chose this resort banking on reviews she saw. Little did we know we were in for a rude surprise. It was not what we expected at all.Upon check in, it was chaos. There was no organization at front desk. We had to check in at another desk as this resort is huge with several resorts within this location. We were told we had to wait until 3:00 for room to be cleaned and when we arrived to room hours later, it was not cleaned properly. Prior to checking in, we were told to leave our luggage in lobby by drop off point. The luggage handlers were congregated out in the driveway with nobody supervising luggage. I did not feel safe nor comfortable leaving luggage as anyone can claim any piece and say it is theirs. We lugged it to my friend's room and kept it there. Back to room, there glass stains on tables next to the bed, bathroom had mold on shower head stem and manual shower head was broken. Sink counter top was dirty with stains and glass divider from shower to rest of the bathroom had visual water stains. We requested room to be cleaned again and nothing was done.The folded towels and rinsed the tub and sink and called it complete. Food was nothing worth raving about. Breakfast was probably the best since some orders were made in front of you(omelettes) . Restaurants with reservations are hard to get and I was able to make it to two which were good and best service was given there as well as the best tasting food. They do not treat everyone staying at hotel with proper I will break it down with pros and cons. I do not recommend this resort at all. They need to tighten up their game and bring the best customer service possible to gain a better reputation. I was saddened because I was looking forward to a great stay especially it being Punta Cana. If it is given as a gift, consider it so you won't be upset spending your money to stay here. If you do decide to stay here, I hope it turns out to be a better experience than mine. If you need more insight, I will be more than glad to share. :)

Pros-
Great weather
Bed was very comfortable
Room was well ventilated and air conditioner worked great
Restaurants that require reservation have good, decent, edible food and provide the best customer service
Birthday requests were done to their best capacity(but not all guest service reps are up to accommodating someone on their birthday as request for champagne was denied by one and approved by another)

Cons-
Terrible customer service
Unfair treatment to some patrons(ignoring and stereotyping)
Food was not great at all. Food stood out and was not changed when tray was empty or close to empty
No welcome at all
Rooms were not cleaned properly or tended to as they should be in resorts
Poor procedures to make customer feel secure with luggage

Room Tip: Choose a different resort
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled with friends
8  Thank burgundyboo28
Viancagraciano, customer service at Grand Bahia Principe Bavaro, responded to this reviewResponded 16 August 2014

Dear guest,

Thank you for communicating your impressions concerning your stay in our Hotel, because I can forwarded to the correct department to improve the negatives.

I would like to inform you that I deeply regret to hear that we didn´t achieved your complete satisfaction this time, and being you a special client that came to celebrate a birthday you were sadly disappointed in this occasion. Thank you for classify the good and not so good aspects you have mentioned.

I wish to greet you once again and provide you a better experience.

Best regards,

Reviewed 14 August 2014

I was here with my family from 19th July till 2nd August. Yes it is a very big resort but it describes this in the brochure, if you like smaller hotels just don't go.
We has a Hesendia Diamond Club room near the pool at the beach, cannot fault it at all, maid kept it clean. On arrival we had balloons, fruit and t-shirts in the room, nice touch. Second week we were given bottle of Champaign all for our Anniversary.
The food we cannot fault always something to choose from. The people who say its the same every night, maybe this suggestion might help, do not put fish, all types on meat, chicken all on the same plate have every night. The Italian, BBQ and the steak house were all very nice, especially the Italiain. Even the pool and beach restruants had much to choose from.

The staff work very hard cannot fault them very polite. Other people's comments said they wait or don't serve you unless you tip them, I never came across this in the 2 weeks we were there.

There is different pools you can use, we used the one at the beach, my young did go to the middle pool twice and got an ear infection, I did notice these pools were taped off a couple of times, chances are some kid maybe had a little accident.

The only thing I would ask the hotel to make the staff at the restruants make sure anyone entering use the sanitizer. We also saw some of the Hispanic visitors use their hands rather than tongs, I am sorry but this is very wrong, a child can be excused but not an adult.

I visited the Bahia Coba in Mexico 2 years ago but found the Bavaro much better. I would visit this hotel again hopefully very very soon.

Room Tip: Upgrade to the diamond club nearer the beach and a larger room
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
6  Thank Angela S
Viancagraciano, customer service at Grand Bahia Principe Bavaro, responded to this reviewResponded 15 August 2014

Dear Angela,

I do not know how to thank you for this kind of comments. Posts such as yours delight us and gives us confidence to keep working hard to satisfy our customers and improve our service.

We are glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay in Grand Bahia Principe Bavaro and we were able to fulfill your expectations.

Thank you for sharing your comment and we will be glad to cater you for another great experience.

Kindest regards,

Reviewed 13 August 2014

As much as I would like to give a higher rating, I can't. I should start off with the fact that we travel all over the world, 2-3 times a year, many times to "beach" type locations.
The hotel is HUGE. Too big-to be honest. While the staff there were very friendly, there was a lack of individualized attention for the little things. We were a party of 9 (family vacation). We asked to be somewhat close together, and they were able to accommodate our needs (different villas but close to each other). Well, my husband and I must have gotten the short end of the stick because we had the room from hell (Room 22308 I think). First, the AC did not function correctly. Compared to our other family members' room, it felt like a sauna. Our toilet kept running. We contacted the front desk right away about this and they said they fixed it (AC was not really fixed).Then there were ANTS-in the bathroom, on the nightstands and table. The second night, we had a third visitor in our room: a little lizard (like the geico lizard). I freaked out initially, but realize that they are common so I just dealt with it. The final straw was the wasps flying around in the room on our 3rd day. We called and staff came by with a can of what I could only see was Raid (???) to fumigate the room. Really? Fumigate while we were about to sleep in the room?
This is where we were frustrated. We had to go all the way to the lobby (which is a good 15 minute walk) to express our concerns. Front desk said they were no other rooms available. He also said (in spanish) "The wasps are nocturnal. They won't bother you at night. If you don't bother them, they won't bother you." We walked away at first but then my husband asked to speak to a manager. Well, that must have been the trick because all of the sudden a room opened up and he switched us. Rather, he said he was giving us someone else's room and they would take our old one. Good luck to the people that had that room after us.
Food was mediocre at best. I do not want to eat another hamburger or hot dog for a long time. Lunch was practically the same every day. Breakfast was great-but that was it. One of the things that upset our whole group was the fact that we could not get any reservations to the specialty restaurants. We were there for four nights and five days and we were able to get into ONE restaurant (at 10PM!!!!)-the sushi one, which was horrible. Not a real sushi restaurant. The very first morning (8AM) we tried to book and that's all they had open for the rest of the week. The funny thing is, as we would walk around the hotel at night and look into the restaurants, and they were not even half FULL!! So were we stuck at the buffet night after night. Thankfully, our Funjet agent arranged for us to go off the resort and sent us to Noah's for authentic Domincan food. It was pricey but well worth it. This was the most frustrating part of our vacation.

On the plus side, the beach, pools and hotel grounds are great!! That's the only thing that kept us going! In the end, when we thought about the price we paid (we got a really good deal), we thought it was fair. But there are things that could have been better...I will never stay here again. There are much better choices in DR.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
6  Thank prissycat79
Reviewed 12 August 2014

We were extremely pleased with our stay at bahia principe, the entire resort is very well kept, the grounds are meticulously well cared for and the service feom every one of the people we encountered during our week long stay was top notch. Due to the price we paid, our expectations were maybe a bit lower, but we were pleasantly surprised with the service and overall experience. A couple of minor issues were a dislodged electrical outlet in the room (which they corrected) and lack of dehumidifiers, or at least a exhaust fan in the restroom, with the climate there rooms can get very humid and it's easy for a musty smell to set in.

• Stayed: July 2014
3  Thank Roberto G

Dear Guiterrez,

We appreciate the time you have taken to share your feedback. Your comments are wonderful and make us feel very proud of our performance. At the same time I apologize for some issues you have experienced.

Thank you for your comment and hope to see you soon at all-inclusive hotels on Punta Cana with Bahia Principe Hotels & Resorts.

Reviewed 11 August 2014

This is my 3rd time to Punta Cana. I stayed in different resort every time.

Stayed for 7 nights in early August. Weather was nice. Do not believe in the forecast except for tropical storm. The day can include scattered showers, cloudy periods but most of the time it was sunny. With a little bit wind, it was not that bad. The hottest time is 12 - 3pm as the sun is strong. The waterpark and mini golf were fun.

The resort offers 1 hour free internet in the lobby area. Wifi charge is US$8 per hour / $15 per day or $49 per week. Wifi reception was good. The safe costs $4 per day, not included in the "All inclusive" package and it was recommended to use by the front desk, tour operator..

The resort is HUGH. There are 5 hotels in the same complex. The ground is beautiful and well maintained. There are people doing painting, cleaning. The resort has shuttle service running. There are 4 bus lines. 3 running from the beach to the main lobby of Gran Bahia Principe Punta Cana and Bavaro. One from there to the water park. Watch out when you walk across the "street" as there are vehicles and motorcycles running. The drivers might not be able to see people crossing if they exit from the hidden entrance between the tall plants. Don't expect any greeting from ground staff. 80% of the staff wouldn't give you a smile or an "Hola". The resort is big, lots of people walking around everyday. They would have to say "hola" thousands times if they need to greet everyone. Some staffs were very helpful but some were not very serious to deal with guests' problem. The staff at the mini club were very friendly.

We've left something in the restaurant. The waiter found it and placed it in the customer service desk. We went to check but the lady just took a look and said they didn't have it. The waiter ended up walking to the desk with us and finally got it in the 3rd attempt.

Pool is nice. not crowded. But hard to get a pool side chair. There were shortage of beach towel on the weekend. We tried 3 times for getting the towel on Sunday. Waterpark is for kids only. Adults are not allowed on the slides. But lots of people enjoyed the waterpark.

Beach is beautiful. There were alot of seaweeds floating.

Room: The room was clean. I didn't see any rats, ants or geckos. Maybe because the room was in the 3rd floor. The maid did a good job. We told her the toilet had flushing problem, she got someone to fix it within couple of hours. The room still need some repair work. We found that the lock of the balcony door didn't work. The bathroom door frame was broken. The shower faucet has a minor leaking issue. Air condition was not strong enough and it was very noisy. The room does not have enough lights. Maybe they should change to brighter bulbs.
Our room has the construction site view. The resort is expanding. It looks like they are building another hotel on the complex. The workers start working before 7am. There was one night, they were still working at 10pm. Sometimes it was quite noisy.

Restaurant:
Main buffet, lots of variety but taste was so-so. With rating of 1-10, I would give a 4-5. The best dish was chicken.
Beach side restaurant, not alot of variety, the seafood rice cooked in the big pot was the best. Chicken was good too.
A la carte, We tried the Japanese and Italian. Japanese a la carte was a joke.. Almost none of the Japanese restaurants in Caribbean resorts know how to cook Asian food. We should have tried the taipanyaki, at least they are more entertaining. Italian restaurant was ok.

Bar service: quality varies.. We got a watery pina colada at the lobby bar. The pop fountains at the pool side were always covered by tons of bees.

Shows: The shows were the best part. Do not miss any show. The circus show was the best. The performers are very professional. They ran 2 shows except the Friday one. 1st show started at 8:15pm. 2nd show started at 9:20pm. Family with kids can go to the 1st show, then kids can go to bed early.

Overall, the vacation was relaxing. I found that smaller resorts usually offer better service but only big resorts would have more facilities (like kids waterpark, mini golf). I might pick a smaller resort next time in Punta Cana.

Room Tip: Check the room on the 1st day. Get everything fixed on the 1st day. Do not pick the construction view otherwise, the balcony would be useless.
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
4  Thank yyftam
Viancagraciano, customer service at Grand Bahia Principe Bavaro, responded to this reviewResponded 12 August 2014

Dear client,

I apologize if you felt you did not receive the service you were entitled to, for some of the staff. Please allow us to inform you that, despite the size of our Resort, appropriate measures have been taken in order to ensure guest satisfaction and expected quality of each of our services.

It is great to know that you enjoyed a relaxing vacation but next time you would not come again, because you prefer smaller hotels.

I sincerely appreciate all feedback which gives us an opportunity to assess and evaluate our performance and help us to make improvements.

Best regards,