“Amazing all inclusive resort with lots to offer.”

Grand Bahia Principe Bavaro
Ranked #62 of 112 Hotels in Punta Cana
Reviewed 29 June 2009

We stayed at the "Diamond Club" from June 20th to the 27th, 2009. The weather was perfect all week. Pros and Cons:

Note: The numbers beside places refer to the resort map. Refer to pic.

Pros:

-Close to beach/pool/snack bar 16
-Breakfast/lunch at Italian a la carte
-Daily stocked in room mini bar with 2 Brahma/2 pepsi/1 7 up/ and 1.5 lit of aqua
-Cool rooms/ac/fan
-maid service daily-very clean room-very prompt
-Train system very helpful and frequent (every couple of minutes)
-Main buffet 6-huge variety-tasteful-nationality theme every day-vegetarian friendly
-Well maintained landscape/architecture
-Several bars spread all over resort-variety of "resort" alcohol-Brahma beers-big fan of
-Night theater 2/1-----9pm-9:30pm kids and adult games-9:30pm circuis night/Michael Jackson night/Mr Principe-very talented people-entertaining for everyone

Cons:

-At main buffet 6, have your partner save your table or it will be given to another party. Very busy at times. Hard for staff to keep track of who's sitting where..tons of super friendly staff..not really there fault..I would like to see you do a better job..just kidding!!
-No 24hr room service include in "DIAMOND CLUB PACKAGE"-stated in books that it was included
-Private pool was not enforced at diamond club pool 17 (not as many kids/not as busy as main pool by the beach
-Hard beds with pancake pillows
-Small tv/19" tube with a remove smaller than my cell phone..and i don't have a Zac Morris phone either!
-A la carte's were pre booked at arrival-times kinda late..ie 9:30 ish
-Old sheets and comforter
-$30.00 extra for in room safe-not included in Diamond Club
-Dark bathroom
-No iron/ironing board

TIPS:

1-in the Club Diamond check in/computer room--the @ key it not where it is on our North American key boards-you have to press Alt 64
2-Lean some basic Spanish before you go. The majority of the staff know little to no English. It's not a con but it's something to be prepared for.
3-Main buffet-have someone save your table
4-First day there-go to the tour operator room to see your travel rep
5-Instead of taking the train back to your room at night after the theater/lobby bar, walk back! Helps you walk off the 8 meals and 24 drinks you had over the course of the day.
6-At the snack bar on the beach you must wear sandals.

In conclusion, huge resort, tons of variety, amazing staff, average rooms, and crazy beach/ocean.

3  Thank Scuba-J82

Reviewed 28 June 2009

TRIP DATE: June 20-27, 2009 departing from TORONTO on Westjet Vacations.

Firstly, highly recommend Westjet Vacations. More than enough leg room. Super friendly staff. Returning home, due to numerous unforseen delays, arrived at Toronto just as my connecting flight to Calgary was already boarding! Still had to collect luggage, go through customs, put luggage back onto 'connecting flight' conveyor belt AND recheck in through security! My gf and I ran to the wrong gate (printed on our ticket in Punta Cana -- but they obviously changed our gate en route), ran to the correct gate and boarded about 15-20 minutes later than the departure time. I couldn't believe they actually waited for us!

BACKGROUND: My first trip to the Carribean. Fairly well traveled.

RESORT: As per the previous reviews, the resort is gorgeous. They have two separate shuttles which run parallel to each other going from the lobby to the beach. Staff is super friendly. I don't recall walking past any staff without them saying 'hola' to us!

ROOM: We read previous reviews and decided to tip our maid. I started with $2 and towards the end of the trip was giving $4 per day. A couple dollars means nothing to me (given that we spend more than one thousand dollars for the entire stay) but the small gesture will be highly rewarded. I scribbled out (in broken Spanish) that I only wanted Diet Pepsi and their 1L bottle of water after our first night, and for the remainder of my stay, my mini-fridge was only stocked with at least 6 Diet Pepsi's and at least 2 bottles of water. Room is thoroughly cleaned, and nothing 'mysteriously disappeared' during our stay. Yes, we had to get rid of a few creepy crawlies (looked like tiny centipedes) during our stay, but that is to be expected. We didn't let the small things bother us at all. It's vacation, after all!

UPGRADES: We opted not to 'upgrade' from the standard rooms. If you decide to upgrade to the 'Ambar' suite, it will cost your $15 USD/person/night. With the Ambar suite, you get 5 a la carte meals, a private pool and the safe is included. If you choose not to upgrade (like us), the safe will cost a one-time charge of $29 USD. I think the Ambar suite is children-free, but I don't see why that is a deterrent. Maybe some people don't like little kids? I don't know. We opted to go standard and pay the $29 USD for the safe. Our passports and our money/jewellry was safe and that's all that mattered to us.

FOOD (BUFFET): I need to preface this by stating that I am an extremely picky eater. I have lived in Toronto and Calgary. I have had the Banff Springs Hotel buffet. (No, this buffet is not equivalent to the Banff Springs Hotel, but I would say it was still very good.) I have read the recent reviews of others complaining about the buffet (fruit variety and such) and all I can say is that there is so much variety -- you are bound to find something you like. It's a vacation. Go with the attitude that you're going to enjoy yourself and do not sweat over the small stuff. They are catering to an international audience and I was very mindful and respectful of this when sampling/judging the different foods at the buffet. All in all, I found the buffet to be overall very good. During the morning buffet, I highly recommend you try their freshly blended Banana juice.

FOOD (A LA CARTE): As I mentioned earlier, you will receive at least 3 a la carte dinners. I recommend you go to GUEST SERVICES (situated adjacent the lobby) soon after you're settled on the first day to reserve your spot. They fill up quickly. We went about 15 minutes after settling in and still couldn't get a table at either the MEXICAN restaurant or STEAK HOUSE (this choice was based on the prior reviews)! I will only review the a la carte dinners we went to as follows ...

JAPANESE: Seems like most everyone had given this dinner superb ratings, some even stating that it was the best sushi they had ever had. Again, I preface that I am from Canada and have eaten sushi from Calgary, Toronto and Vancouver. The restaurant's decor is beautiful. We were paired with another 4 couples/families with a personal chef who cooked the food in front of us. Meal consists of: (1) small plate of assorted sushi (2) plate of tempura (shrimp and vegetables) (3) Miso soup (4) MAIN ENTREE: vegetables, fried rice & a combination of different meats (including beef, chicken, fish & shrimp) and (5) your choice of a dessert. Unfortunately, I would rate the food as overall POOR to VERY POOR. I did not like the sushi (salmon was cooked, rice was of poor quality and I've never described my sushi as being 'too dry' but I can't explain it any other way!), tempura (the batter was so thick, I had a hard time figuring out what base vegetable I was eating) or entree (overcooked meat and undercooked rice). Yes, they did use soya sauce on the meat while cooking, but it was neither teriyaki or teppanyaki. Please (especially for all the Canadians who eat sushi regularly), you can get better at home; pick another a la carte restaurant. If you've never had sushi before or not too picky about sushi in general, you may like this meal; why not, it's free!

SPANISH: Again, restaurant is of excellent decor. I will mention that a dress code is in effect for all the a la carte restaurants and that they require trousers and sleeved shirt for men and evening wear for ladies. The dinner is setup so that the APPETIZERS (tapas) and some selected ENTREES are available at a buffet for starters and you then order from a choice of 5 different entrees. I HIGHLY RECOMMEND this restaurant on the basis of the tapas alone. I could have easily skipped my entree and still have been extremely satisfied. I will preface this by saying that I have almost no experience with Spanish cuisine and am by no means of the imagination an expert, but this meal really pleased my palate. The entrees were PAR -- I ordered the roasted suckling pig and my gf ordered the seafood platter; both were just okay. Again, the strength of this recommendation is on the tapas alone.

BBQ: This was recommended by the lady at Guest Services after we couldn't secure a reservation at the STEAK HOUSE. I adhered to the dress code and sweltered in the heat. This restaurant is located outside (no air conditioning) overlooking the beach. During the morning and afternoon, it serves as another location for people to eat close to the beach. During the evening, you need a reservation to dine there essentially. It was a buffet-style dinner with a small steak and chicken cooked on a grill by two chefs. I thought was food was no different than what I could have received in the lobby/beach-side buffet. I had difficulty finishing my dinner as I was extremely uncomfortable drenching in my own sweat and quickly retreated back to my hotel where I took a quick shower before heading to the lobby buffet to attain satiety. Do go if you don't mind the humidity and heat (dress lightly, unlike me) as the view is amazing (as astutely pointed out by my gf who was trying to turn our dinner into a positive experience). Don't go if you're like me and cannot enjoy yourself when feeling the sweat clinging onto your shirt and pouring over your face.

ATTIRE: I wear glasses, do not wear contact lenses, and found it very convenient to have brought my prescription swimming goggles, which I wore while swimming in the Caribbean sea. I wore my expensive prescription sunglasses the first day and was so paranoid about avoiding the waves that I got nothing from the experience. My waterproof Nike workout watch was very handy too.

BEACHES: As per the other reviews. Gorgeous and clean. It was not crowded at all during our stay. We arrived sometimes at 1000h and still found an empty sheltered hut to lie in. On the last day of our stay, we hit the beach at 1500h and found many empty sheltered huts. We did not play, nor did we feel we had to play the 'towel game'.

SHOPPING: There is a plaza within the resort called the Pavillion (I think). This plaza contains an Internet center ($5 USD for 15 minutes -- expensive!!), the disco, casino and some small shops. Within the center of the plaza are booths set up by savvy, talkative vendors. Our experience was the the prices quoted are EXTREMELY inflated. Whatever their starting value is, divide it by 10 and I still think they're making profit. We only did minimal shopping and that was at the lobby gift shop (coffee, cocoa, Dominican rum) and at a few shops located directly in front of the hotel lobby, approximately 2 minutes walking distance. We were quoted prices of $50 USD ('only for me' because I was his friend supposedly) for things we found in those shops I mentioned earlier (two minutes in front of the hotel lobby) for $7 USD. So buyer beware. Do your research or you may get burned. Never feel pressured to buy anything and have a low threshold to say 'no'.

EXCURSIONS: We only did the Reef Explorer for $89 USD / half day. You get to go snorkeling with a guide, swim with sting rays and a shark (which only my gf noticed as I couldn't really see more than 3 feet in front of me due to my strong prescription!) and kayak around the floating 'island'. You can get a free massage. There is NO ALCOHOL served on this trip FYI. Great excursion. I had never snorkelled before so I found this experience to be absolutely fantastic.

OVERALL: Great vacation. Would recommend this trip to anyone.

1  Thank pacmanto
Reviewed 28 June 2009

First and foremost I would recommend learning some spanish if you are planning to stay at this resort. Most of the staff do not understand ANY English. (maids, bartenders, waitstaff, etc...) Most of the guests were from Spain, Portugal and South America. Seemed like all the guests spoke spanish. Very few from the US there.

PROS:
Grounds: The grounds and property were immaculate. Just as in the brochures. There are workers constantly working on landscaping, keeping it looking absolutely gorgeous. The resort is huge but has a surprisingly intimate feel to it.

Beach: Beautiful powdery sand, turqouise water, plenty of chairs and huts available. The weirdest thing was that there were NO seashells and NO fish swimming around. The none motorized sports are free. We took advantage of the Kayaks. *If you are interested in renting any motorized watercraft check with the kiosk on the beach that's adjacent to the hotel. Much cheaper than what the "tour operators" try to sell you. They are safe and reliable. Oh yeah and expect to see plenty of topless women. All types. I'm from the US so at first it was a little shocking but it wasn't long before I found myself working on "no tan lines".

No bugs!! These people spray so much I didn't even see a mosquito on the grounds. Maybe we were just lucky.

The rooms are decorated nicely. The sheets seemed clean. The pillows are totally flat so we woke up with neck pain a few nights.

Definitely check out the spa. It was great. The Bahia market place has tons of stores where you don't have to leave the resort. Big plus.

Now the Cons:

You do not have access to all the amenities, pools, restaurants on the Bahia property unless you upgrade to Ambar for additional $$.

Pools close at 6pm. We spent most of our time in the pool closest to the main building. It was quieter but still fun. The pool closest to the beach was always crowded with tons of kids. Each person is only allowed ONE towel per day. And the only way to get a towel is with a little card that they provide. So that means if you don't return your towels by 6pm to get your card for the next day. You're stuck with the same towel.

Food: Make sure you book your a la carte the minute you check in. Did the Garden Grill- great steak. The food was really good. Also the Italian place- food was okay. The only choice for dinner is the one buffet restaurant. Food was average. Only a few items every now and then inedible. Try the plum ice cream though. Superb. We drank the water and used the ice that they served and didn't have any problems.

Alcohol and beer- totally watered down!! My boyfriend and I went with Mimosas all day long, every day we were there. They popped a fresh bottle right infront of us everytime. Not sure of the brand but it did the job. The orange juice was a bit watered down so no problems with too much acidity. For a variation we went with a splash of brandy in the Mimosa for the evenings. Yum.

The mini-bar is minimally stocked but we found that after leaving a dollar under the maid's name card we got more items. They don't cool very well though.

There is an in-room safe. The front desk charged us an extra $28.00 for the week to use it though. Never heard of that before but they said if we paid for the upgraded room it would've been free.

FYI- Didn't notice any difference in service when we tipped so we only tipped at the a la carte restaurants.

To sum it up I would recommend this resort with the warnings above. For myself, I don't think I would return again any time soon. Sorry my review was so long.

2  Thank Gringyao
Reviewed 26 June 2009

I was very expressed with the Service specially with the amount of people staying at this resort and the service was absolutely great, the attention is amazing because they treat everyone like royalty. I have travel to plenty of Islands before and I have to admit the kindness of the employees is so amazing! I made reservations from my travel agency here in the USA and i requested a Golden Pass room with a king bed and a sofa bed we were 4 in this room, but traveling with a group of 40. However, I realized their sofa bed is more like a day sleeper not a full size, and once I requested a double bed they accomodated me and my family to a different room ASAP, the rooms were very beautiful and clean, everyday it was stock with water, soda, beer and coffee, clean fresh towels everyday. The food was excellent, I made reservation to their Japanese restaurant it was delicious!! However, before arriving it's a must send them an email to make reservations to get into the restaurant of your choice, the buffet was also excellent. My kids loved the evening shows and the entertaining on the beach was so much fun.. Not much to complain about because I LOVE IT!!!

• Stayed: June 2009
1  Thank janikmario
Reviewed 24 June 2009

I have just come back from the bahia pricipe resort and i loved it. It was mine and my boyfriends first holiday together and we had a wicked time! The pictures that you will see in Brochures is exsacly what the resort looks like! It is a massive resort but u do have little buses running up and down all day long. The staff are friendly and chatty you dont feel pressured to give tips, but the bell boys will wait around until u ave tipped them but you only need to tip a couple of dollars. There is enough sunbeds for everyone we never had to hunt around on beach or around the pools. The buffet resturant is ok alot of choice i must say but not much english food, you have to book you resturants quickly you can book all 6 at once so i would reccomend the GARDEN GRILL that was amazing the french,italian and japanese but there are a few others that you may decide to try. There is a Karaoke bar which is a laugh gettin up having a sing song,there is also a night club which plays spanish and english music but if u speak nicely to the DJ we had him playin english all night!! but this is round by the looky looky men as they call them, they do pressure you into buyin something but just say no and walk away otherwise you wont get away but der only at that area so you wont have them on the beach or around the pools. We went on 2 trips while we was there the caribean festival and swam with the sharkes and stingrays, i would not reccomend the caribean festival as we found it really boring when you reached the beach. The shark and stingray was a good exspirence but we did really want to swim wid dolphines but this worked out to 350 dollars each as you have to fly across to ocean world. But there is another dolphine place thats much closer which worked out at 90 dollars each we was told that thomas cook didnt use that place due to animals being treated badly,but a couple we met out there went and said it was amazing so we were quit dissapointed we didnt go there. Also another couple we met went on the mega trucks and had a great time said it was really worth it and that was about 85 dollars each. They did have mini golf and tennis also all water sports that dont have a motor were free so that was great. There was always alot of activities going on around the pools and shows every night near the lobby. I think i have covered everythink all i can say is i had a great holiday and would reccomend this hotle to a friend, i do hope if you choose this hotle you have an amazing time too!!

3  Thank Darnele
Reviewed 24 June 2009

Just got married. Email me if you have questions about package, set -up, hotel, pictures, etc...

• Stayed: June 2009
Reviewed 24 June 2009

Hola. Traveled to DR for the 1st time & stayed for 5 nights @ the GBP-Punta Canta side.
THE GOOD: The Beach> Beautiful! Soft powdery white sand. The water was a pretty light green color with little to no seaweed. Not too much trouble in finding shade when you needed to. Ocean water temp was just right-refreshing, compared to the pool water which was like bath water- but that was good for the other 1/2 of our family. Enjoyed watching all the activities around the beach while relaxing on the beach or just wading in the ocean. The only disappointing thing was that there were no sea shells to be found. THE AVERAGE: The Pool> closest to beach, was ok. This was the only pool we used, we were Golden Club members & our villa was #21 which was very close to this pool & beach. We could not get any drink service by the edges of the pool. Some were lucky & did. We had to use the pool bar which got crowded & rowdy @ times. Still no major problem. Very difficult to find seating @ the buffet restaurant by the pool for lunch. Inadequate to say the least for the size of the resort. The Check In> We had an early flight so we were prepared to wait. Went to the Golden Club for our welcome & set up our ala carte dinner reservations. Luckily I printed & took my return e-mail from the resort stating we were to receive an upgrade to 4 ala cartes instead of the usual 3 when we choose the Golden Club because the were not going to honor it @ first when I merely mentioned it to the host. The Restaurants> we had ala carte reservations @ the Mexican, Italian & Garden Grill(steakhouse) these 3 were set up the same way- after you ordered you went to small buffet stations for your appetizers & desserts. Your meal was served in between. We found the Italian to be the tastiest. My son & I did not like the food we ordered @ the Garden Grille we had bacon wrapped shrimp-Over Done!! My husband did enjoy his steak. Alsot the buffet stations here we not as tempting as the others. Our last ala carte was theJapanese-tenpenyaki style. The food was good there. Our waiter was wounderful. The chef was not too entertaining. He basically cooked our meal. We did eat @ another Japanese restaurant 2 years ago in Cancun & the chef did many fancy moves while cooking-we had a fantastic time there. We ate @ the main buffet located in the lobby for breakfasts & lunches. Not too much to say they were your basic buffets. THE WELL BELOW AVERAGE AND THEN SOME: The room> Decor was shabby/worn looking. We were told our room was to be ready @ 3pm. When we arrived @ 330pm IT WASN'T!! WHAT A MESS!! The beds were not made & pushed in the middle of the room. All the glasses were in the bathroom sink. Dirty towels all over the bathroom floor!! The floor of the entire room was filthy-needed major sweeping! WE did take pictures & showed the staff. Until we were able to talk to someone who spoke and or could understand english-our calls were bounced from the front desk to the Golden Club host then back & forth etc...We finally got to our room around 5pm. Then the air conditioner was leaking & dripping all over our floor. We had to use a garbage can & collected 4-5 inches of water in it until it was fixed. Our fridge did not work.. The front desk said it is supposed to just keep the drinks cool & we were to get ice to make them cold. We still requested to have it checked out & long behold afterwards it did actually get our drinks cold so we did not have to run for ice all the time. There's more- when we finally settled down to sleep my daughter said the bed linen smelled & so did the bed & pillows. I thought she was joking or just imagining it. But when I, my husbad & son smelled them we knew she was not.. It smelled like really BAD body odor. It was 11pm but we called the front desk again requested to have the maid to bring fresh new linens & pillows. She was supposed to be there in 10 mins but never came that night. Sleeping arrangements were not very comfortable out first night. We called the front desk 1st thing in the morning the next day & were offered a detailed cleaning of our room or a new room but the only one available was in villa #1 next to the construction. We requested to see it before we decided. It was Golden Club but was also a little smaller. In turn we asked for the Detailed cleaning of our room & we would stay there. They did come through & we had no problems with room for the rest of our 4 nights remaining. Thank God!! What would anyone else had done?? You are really @ their mercy. We just remained calm & finally it did work out. We were compensated with a plate of old/over ripe fruit from room service on our 2nd night. It's the thought that counts I guess. We will not return to this hotel if we vacation to the DR again. We stayed @ The Palace Resorts in Cancun- Moon Palace & Cancun Palace. In Cabo San Lucas we stayed @ the Riu Palace chain. This place was actually a Dump compared to them. Overall we decided we liked Cancun the best out of all our vacations. Sorry SOO Long.

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled with family