“Do not waste your money on this hotel”

Grand Bahia Principe Bavaro
Ranked #61 of 112 Hotels in Punta Cana
texas
“Do not waste your money on this hotel”
Reviewed 9 July 2009

I’ll start with the positives: the hotel was beautiful!
That’s it. That is the only real positive I can think of. The food was good in the a la carte restaurants, but absolutely terrible in the main buffet. Even my 4 year old daughter who will eat anything would not eat the food at the buffet.
The real downer at the hotel was the service. It started poorly as soon as we arrived, and only went down hill from there. We went to check in at the main desk and were then told that we were “Golden Club” and to go to another room to check in and they didn’t even tell us where it was. From there, we were taken to our room by the bellhop who was nice. Our room was nice, but they only gave us 2 raggedy beach towels. There were three of us. Then, there were no extra sheets, blankets, or pillow for the sofa bed for our daughter. Hello – didn’t they know there were three of us by our reservation?!?!? Next we tried to give our daughter a bath, but the bathtub was filthy and even had hair in it – gross. No problem, she can take a shower, but where are the washcloths? We called the front desks for washcloths, twice. They finally arrived the next day only to be taken away by the maids and never seen again. Okay, whatever we can deal without washcloths.
So, we are still on the first day and we get ready to go to the beach. We stop by the towel hut to pick up another beach towel and they don’t have any. What? You have got to be kidding me, this is the one and only towel hut for the resort and they are out of clean towels?? And they aren’t even nice about it.
Other issues we had:
The wait staff in the main buffet was absolutely terrible. I understand the Jamaican way (trust me, I’ve been to Jamaica before), but come on; waiting fifteen minutes just to order a glass of water?! I finally did the tacky thing and got it myself. Same with the coffee at breakfast. It is one thing to be slow, but to blatantly ignore the customer is on another level.
Oh yeah, and the toilet in our bathroom did not flush well. So one night when it started overflowing we called maintenance. It took them 30 minutes to show up. Once they did, my husband had already fixed the toilet and was in the process of sopping up the 2 inches of standing water in the bathroom. So maintenance called for the cleaning staff to come. Another thirty minutes went by and my husband had it all cleaned up by then. All they had to do was mop.
The last thing that I will say is this: when we were getting ready to leave and get on the bus to go to the airport, the bellhops would not help us take our luggage down the steps to the bus. Neither would the bus driver. Normally this wouldn’t be a huge deal, but it was like the straw that broke the camels back at the end of the trip.
I hate to give a negative review, but it is necessary for people to know. We spent our hard earned money on a vacation and expected some customer service. We didn’t receive it and it was disappointing.

• Stayed June 2009, travelled with family
2 Thank txvacaygirl

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,225)
  • Czech first
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
  • Turkish first
Georgia
Reviewed 30 June 2009

My first real vacation with my true love was not as good as it could have been due to staying at this hotel. When we first arrived our room was to be ready by 3 pm. We sat around and waited. We finally got into our room after 4:30p. Nothing was explained to us and no information was given (such as brochures, etc) to us about dining, the pool, activities etc. We had to do all the work ourselves to find out this information. If we wanted to work we would have just stayed home.... So for the first 2 days we missed a lot of activities, dining opportunities due to not having this information. Let me just say that the staff was less than helpful. Their attitude was not only bad but one of "could care less" whether we were satisfied or not. Myself and my boyfriend complained on several ocassions but to no avail. We were not even offered anything to "make up for the problem" or for them to correct the problem. One big problem for us was that we were not ever told even prior to booking this trip was that all the pools in the hotel close at 7:00pm! What? Are you kidding?! Then we were told this was a gov't law in the Dominican...but we could not really verify this fact. So no pool, no activities etc. after 7:00pm. The food was bad, but alcohol flowed freely. If all you want to do is party..drink alcohol and not really care about food, atmosphere, room condition, or service then this hotel is for you, since alcohol is free. The only saving grace for the Dominican was the beach and being with each other.

2 Thank SouthernGeorgiaGirl
Langley BC
Reviewed 30 June 2009

We travelled to the Bahia Principe June 14-24 for our Honeymoon. I had done a lot of reading on this website prior to our trip so I had an idea of what to expect. First of all you really need to take into consideration that something one person likes another may hate. So really when you read these reviews try not to let it sway your decision too much. I had read some really good reviews on this resort and sonme terrible ones. I personally loved it. The grounds were very clean (There were gardeners everywhere!) The room was spacious and clean. The only thing was I wish that there were more than 2 big bath towels in the room. We did get extra one day but it must have been a mistake because they promptly removed them when they cleaned the room the next day lol. But really that is not a big deal. I did read a few reviews before going that had given mention to "bed bugs"...well I really don't know how to explain it but several times I woke up in the morning with bites on my legs. I never got bit outside, but would wake up with these red itchy hills on my leg. Not many, maybe like 5 in total the whole trip. We searched the bed and room and found no sign of bugs...so really I would not be all that concerned, just don't be surprised lol. The food was excellent. We had 5 a la carte dinners as we were Club Diamond. The only restaurant we didn't like was the seafood one near the beach, but again if you like fish you will probably like it. The buffet was always hot and had lots of selection. I think this is where you can't listen to the reviews about food. People are picky and everyone has different taste. The nightly entertainment was quite good and there is a casino and a kareoke bar (really fun) The most annoying thing there to us was the vendors. Always coming up to you and really don't know how to take no for an answer. So if you want to avoid them stay away from the courtyard lol. The trollys are very good. They come every couple of minutes, so again ignore the "resort is too big" comments. You can get all around with the trollys. There is an ATM and a cash exchange place during the day at the resort which was very convenient. The best thing to do is bring American dollars as you really have no idea what you are being charged for things otherwise. My husband and I had a honeymoon photoshoot done by a professional photographer at the resort. It was amazing! Totally worth the money we paid. The pictures turned out so beautiful. The beach was so beautiful, clear blue warm water and soft sand. We never had trouble finding lounge chairs or an umbrella. I really could keep going on and on about how enjoyable this vacation was but really you should see for yourself. I would definatley recommend this resort and will for sure go back. Take what you read from the negative reviews with a grain of salt :)

3 Thank sway7399
Ontario
Reviewed 29 June 2009

We stayed at the "Diamond Club" from June 20th to the 27th, 2009. The weather was perfect all week. Pros and Cons:

Note: The numbers beside places refer to the resort map. Refer to pic.

Pros:

-Close to beach/pool/snack bar 16
-Breakfast/lunch at Italian a la carte
-Daily stocked in room mini bar with 2 Brahma/2 pepsi/1 7 up/ and 1.5 lit of aqua
-Cool rooms/ac/fan
-maid service daily-very clean room-very prompt
-Train system very helpful and frequent (every couple of minutes)
-Main buffet 6-huge variety-tasteful-nationality theme every day-vegetarian friendly
-Well maintained landscape/architecture
-Several bars spread all over resort-variety of "resort" alcohol-Brahma beers-big fan of
-Night theater 2/1-----9pm-9:30pm kids and adult games-9:30pm circuis night/Michael Jackson night/Mr Principe-very talented people-entertaining for everyone

Cons:

-At main buffet 6, have your partner save your table or it will be given to another party. Very busy at times. Hard for staff to keep track of who's sitting where..tons of super friendly staff..not really there fault..I would like to see you do a better job..just kidding!!
-No 24hr room service include in "DIAMOND CLUB PACKAGE"-stated in books that it was included
-Private pool was not enforced at diamond club pool 17 (not as many kids/not as busy as main pool by the beach
-Hard beds with pancake pillows
-Small tv/19" tube with a remove smaller than my cell phone..and i don't have a Zac Morris phone either!
-A la carte's were pre booked at arrival-times kinda late..ie 9:30 ish
-Old sheets and comforter
-$30.00 extra for in room safe-not included in Diamond Club
-Dark bathroom
-No iron/ironing board

TIPS:

1-in the Club Diamond check in/computer room--the @ key it not where it is on our North American key boards-you have to press Alt 64
2-Lean some basic Spanish before you go. The majority of the staff know little to no English. It's not a con but it's something to be prepared for.
3-Main buffet-have someone save your table
4-First day there-go to the tour operator room to see your travel rep
5-Instead of taking the train back to your room at night after the theater/lobby bar, walk back! Helps you walk off the 8 meals and 24 drinks you had over the course of the day.
6-At the snack bar on the beach you must wear sandals.

In conclusion, huge resort, tons of variety, amazing staff, average rooms, and crazy beach/ocean.

3 Thank Scuba-J82
Calgary, Canada
Reviewed 28 June 2009

TRIP DATE: June 20-27, 2009 departing from TORONTO on Westjet Vacations.

Firstly, highly recommend Westjet Vacations. More than enough leg room. Super friendly staff. Returning home, due to numerous unforseen delays, arrived at Toronto just as my connecting flight to Calgary was already boarding! Still had to collect luggage, go through customs, put luggage back onto 'connecting flight' conveyor belt AND recheck in through security! My gf and I ran to the wrong gate (printed on our ticket in Punta Cana -- but they obviously changed our gate en route), ran to the correct gate and boarded about 15-20 minutes later than the departure time. I couldn't believe they actually waited for us!

BACKGROUND: My first trip to the Carribean. Fairly well traveled.

RESORT: As per the previous reviews, the resort is gorgeous. They have two separate shuttles which run parallel to each other going from the lobby to the beach. Staff is super friendly. I don't recall walking past any staff without them saying 'hola' to us!

ROOM: We read previous reviews and decided to tip our maid. I started with $2 and towards the end of the trip was giving $4 per day. A couple dollars means nothing to me (given that we spend more than one thousand dollars for the entire stay) but the small gesture will be highly rewarded. I scribbled out (in broken Spanish) that I only wanted Diet Pepsi and their 1L bottle of water after our first night, and for the remainder of my stay, my mini-fridge was only stocked with at least 6 Diet Pepsi's and at least 2 bottles of water. Room is thoroughly cleaned, and nothing 'mysteriously disappeared' during our stay. Yes, we had to get rid of a few creepy crawlies (looked like tiny centipedes) during our stay, but that is to be expected. We didn't let the small things bother us at all. It's vacation, after all!

UPGRADES: We opted not to 'upgrade' from the standard rooms. If you decide to upgrade to the 'Ambar' suite, it will cost your $15 USD/person/night. With the Ambar suite, you get 5 a la carte meals, a private pool and the safe is included. If you choose not to upgrade (like us), the safe will cost a one-time charge of $29 USD. I think the Ambar suite is children-free, but I don't see why that is a deterrent. Maybe some people don't like little kids? I don't know. We opted to go standard and pay the $29 USD for the safe. Our passports and our money/jewellry was safe and that's all that mattered to us.

FOOD (BUFFET): I need to preface this by stating that I am an extremely picky eater. I have lived in Toronto and Calgary. I have had the Banff Springs Hotel buffet. (No, this buffet is not equivalent to the Banff Springs Hotel, but I would say it was still very good.) I have read the recent reviews of others complaining about the buffet (fruit variety and such) and all I can say is that there is so much variety -- you are bound to find something you like. It's a vacation. Go with the attitude that you're going to enjoy yourself and do not sweat over the small stuff. They are catering to an international audience and I was very mindful and respectful of this when sampling/judging the different foods at the buffet. All in all, I found the buffet to be overall very good. During the morning buffet, I highly recommend you try their freshly blended Banana juice.

FOOD (A LA CARTE): As I mentioned earlier, you will receive at least 3 a la carte dinners. I recommend you go to GUEST SERVICES (situated adjacent the lobby) soon after you're settled on the first day to reserve your spot. They fill up quickly. We went about 15 minutes after settling in and still couldn't get a table at either the MEXICAN restaurant or STEAK HOUSE (this choice was based on the prior reviews)! I will only review the a la carte dinners we went to as follows ...

JAPANESE: Seems like most everyone had given this dinner superb ratings, some even stating that it was the best sushi they had ever had. Again, I preface that I am from Canada and have eaten sushi from Calgary, Toronto and Vancouver. The restaurant's decor is beautiful. We were paired with another 4 couples/families with a personal chef who cooked the food in front of us. Meal consists of: (1) small plate of assorted sushi (2) plate of tempura (shrimp and vegetables) (3) Miso soup (4) MAIN ENTREE: vegetables, fried rice & a combination of different meats (including beef, chicken, fish & shrimp) and (5) your choice of a dessert. Unfortunately, I would rate the food as overall POOR to VERY POOR. I did not like the sushi (salmon was cooked, rice was of poor quality and I've never described my sushi as being 'too dry' but I can't explain it any other way!), tempura (the batter was so thick, I had a hard time figuring out what base vegetable I was eating) or entree (overcooked meat and undercooked rice). Yes, they did use soya sauce on the meat while cooking, but it was neither teriyaki or teppanyaki. Please (especially for all the Canadians who eat sushi regularly), you can get better at home; pick another a la carte restaurant. If you've never had sushi before or not too picky about sushi in general, you may like this meal; why not, it's free!

SPANISH: Again, restaurant is of excellent decor. I will mention that a dress code is in effect for all the a la carte restaurants and that they require trousers and sleeved shirt for men and evening wear for ladies. The dinner is setup so that the APPETIZERS (tapas) and some selected ENTREES are available at a buffet for starters and you then order from a choice of 5 different entrees. I HIGHLY RECOMMEND this restaurant on the basis of the tapas alone. I could have easily skipped my entree and still have been extremely satisfied. I will preface this by saying that I have almost no experience with Spanish cuisine and am by no means of the imagination an expert, but this meal really pleased my palate. The entrees were PAR -- I ordered the roasted suckling pig and my gf ordered the seafood platter; both were just okay. Again, the strength of this recommendation is on the tapas alone.

BBQ: This was recommended by the lady at Guest Services after we couldn't secure a reservation at the STEAK HOUSE. I adhered to the dress code and sweltered in the heat. This restaurant is located outside (no air conditioning) overlooking the beach. During the morning and afternoon, it serves as another location for people to eat close to the beach. During the evening, you need a reservation to dine there essentially. It was a buffet-style dinner with a small steak and chicken cooked on a grill by two chefs. I thought was food was no different than what I could have received in the lobby/beach-side buffet. I had difficulty finishing my dinner as I was extremely uncomfortable drenching in my own sweat and quickly retreated back to my hotel where I took a quick shower before heading to the lobby buffet to attain satiety. Do go if you don't mind the humidity and heat (dress lightly, unlike me) as the view is amazing (as astutely pointed out by my gf who was trying to turn our dinner into a positive experience). Don't go if you're like me and cannot enjoy yourself when feeling the sweat clinging onto your shirt and pouring over your face.

ATTIRE: I wear glasses, do not wear contact lenses, and found it very convenient to have brought my prescription swimming goggles, which I wore while swimming in the Caribbean sea. I wore my expensive prescription sunglasses the first day and was so paranoid about avoiding the waves that I got nothing from the experience. My waterproof Nike workout watch was very handy too.

BEACHES: As per the other reviews. Gorgeous and clean. It was not crowded at all during our stay. We arrived sometimes at 1000h and still found an empty sheltered hut to lie in. On the last day of our stay, we hit the beach at 1500h and found many empty sheltered huts. We did not play, nor did we feel we had to play the 'towel game'.

SHOPPING: There is a plaza within the resort called the Pavillion (I think). This plaza contains an Internet center ($5 USD for 15 minutes -- expensive!!), the disco, casino and some small shops. Within the center of the plaza are booths set up by savvy, talkative vendors. Our experience was the the prices quoted are EXTREMELY inflated. Whatever their starting value is, divide it by 10 and I still think they're making profit. We only did minimal shopping and that was at the lobby gift shop (coffee, cocoa, Dominican rum) and at a few shops located directly in front of the hotel lobby, approximately 2 minutes walking distance. We were quoted prices of $50 USD ('only for me' because I was his friend supposedly) for things we found in those shops I mentioned earlier (two minutes in front of the hotel lobby) for $7 USD. So buyer beware. Do your research or you may get burned. Never feel pressured to buy anything and have a low threshold to say 'no'.

EXCURSIONS: We only did the Reef Explorer for $89 USD / half day. You get to go snorkeling with a guide, swim with sting rays and a shark (which only my gf noticed as I couldn't really see more than 3 feet in front of me due to my strong prescription!) and kayak around the floating 'island'. You can get a free massage. There is NO ALCOHOL served on this trip FYI. Great excursion. I had never snorkelled before so I found this experience to be absolutely fantastic.

OVERALL: Great vacation. Would recommend this trip to anyone.

1 Thank pacmanto
New Rochelle, New Yor
Reviewed 28 June 2009

First and foremost I would recommend learning some spanish if you are planning to stay at this resort. Most of the staff do not understand ANY English. (maids, bartenders, waitstaff, etc...) Most of the guests were from Spain, Portugal and South America. Seemed like all the guests spoke spanish. Very few from the US there.

PROS:
Grounds: The grounds and property were immaculate. Just as in the brochures. There are workers constantly working on landscaping, keeping it looking absolutely gorgeous. The resort is huge but has a surprisingly intimate feel to it.

Beach: Beautiful powdery sand, turqouise water, plenty of chairs and huts available. The weirdest thing was that there were NO seashells and NO fish swimming around. The none motorized sports are free. We took advantage of the Kayaks. *If you are interested in renting any motorized watercraft check with the kiosk on the beach that's adjacent to the hotel. Much cheaper than what the "tour operators" try to sell you. They are safe and reliable. Oh yeah and expect to see plenty of topless women. All types. I'm from the US so at first it was a little shocking but it wasn't long before I found myself working on "no tan lines".

No bugs!! These people spray so much I didn't even see a mosquito on the grounds. Maybe we were just lucky.

The rooms are decorated nicely. The sheets seemed clean. The pillows are totally flat so we woke up with neck pain a few nights.

Definitely check out the spa. It was great. The Bahia market place has tons of stores where you don't have to leave the resort. Big plus.

Now the Cons:

You do not have access to all the amenities, pools, restaurants on the Bahia property unless you upgrade to Ambar for additional $$.

Pools close at 6pm. We spent most of our time in the pool closest to the main building. It was quieter but still fun. The pool closest to the beach was always crowded with tons of kids. Each person is only allowed ONE towel per day. And the only way to get a towel is with a little card that they provide. So that means if you don't return your towels by 6pm to get your card for the next day. You're stuck with the same towel.

Food: Make sure you book your a la carte the minute you check in. Did the Garden Grill- great steak. The food was really good. Also the Italian place- food was okay. The only choice for dinner is the one buffet restaurant. Food was average. Only a few items every now and then inedible. Try the plum ice cream though. Superb. We drank the water and used the ice that they served and didn't have any problems.

Alcohol and beer- totally watered down!! My boyfriend and I went with Mimosas all day long, every day we were there. They popped a fresh bottle right infront of us everytime. Not sure of the brand but it did the job. The orange juice was a bit watered down so no problems with too much acidity. For a variation we went with a splash of brandy in the Mimosa for the evenings. Yum.

The mini-bar is minimally stocked but we found that after leaving a dollar under the maid's name card we got more items. They don't cool very well though.

There is an in-room safe. The front desk charged us an extra $28.00 for the week to use it though. Never heard of that before but they said if we paid for the upgraded room it would've been free.

FYI- Didn't notice any difference in service when we tipped so we only tipped at the a la carte restaurants.

To sum it up I would recommend this resort with the warnings above. For myself, I don't think I would return again any time soon. Sorry my review was so long.

2 Thank Gringyao
nyc
Reviewed 26 June 2009

I was very expressed with the Service specially with the amount of people staying at this resort and the service was absolutely great, the attention is amazing because they treat everyone like royalty. I have travel to plenty of Islands before and I have to admit the kindness of the employees is so amazing! I made reservations from my travel agency here in the USA and i requested a Golden Pass room with a king bed and a sofa bed we were 4 in this room, but traveling with a group of 40. However, I realized their sofa bed is more like a day sleeper not a full size, and once I requested a double bed they accomodated me and my family to a different room ASAP, the rooms were very beautiful and clean, everyday it was stock with water, soda, beer and coffee, clean fresh towels everyday. The food was excellent, I made reservation to their Japanese restaurant it was delicious!! However, before arriving it's a must send them an email to make reservations to get into the restaurant of your choice, the buffet was also excellent. My kids loved the evening shows and the entertaining on the beach was so much fun.. Not much to complain about because I LOVE IT!!!

• Stayed June 2009
Alsol Luxury Village
Alsol Luxury Village
#87 of 112 in Punta Cana
Grand Bahia Principe La Romana

Been to Grand Bahia Principe Bavaro? Share your experiences!