First off, this is the second year in a row I'm staying at the Gran Bahia Principe Punta Cana. We stayed at the Punta Cana side both times. Since Punta Cana and Bavaro are identical, I'm writing my review here.
The first time I visited was with my husband in June 2008. We loved it so much last year that my husband and I decided to stay here again. This time, we went with two other couples. We had just as much fun with a group as we did just the two of us.
Take the reviews you read on here with a grain of salt. It's not as bad as some reviewers make it seem! The resort is very clean and the people who work there are very friendly. I called the resort a few days before heading down to Punta Cana to reserve a room with a king size bed. The honored my request, and upon check-in there was a note made in my profile that we requested a king size bed in our suite. Check-in was a breeze. The check-in representative was very friendly and he put us in a Golden Club room for no charge (closer to the beach). We didn't have Golden Club amenities, but who really needs a robe, slippers, and an allotted time for internet each day? Not me!
Room---Our room was clean. I must say that during my 9 day trip, I did see 2 bugs in our room. I don't remember if I saw bugs last year. I think I was more conscious of it this year after scrolling through these reviews. But it's the Caribbean- you're bound to find some bugs here and there. No biggie, in my opinion. The mini-fridge is stocked with drinks, including soda, water, and beer. We left a note for our maid asking for more agua and Pepsi Light, and our fridge was stocked full with them every day. Our maid was very nice- we left her a $2 tip everyday: A small price to pay for her hard work. I read some reviews on here about missing things in the hotel room. Let me say that my husband and I opted out of paying close to $30/week for the safe and none of our belongings went missing. Not a single item was touched or moved during both of our stays.
A la cartes-- My husband and I ate at the same 4 restaurants as last year. We ate at the Gourmet, Garden Grill (steakhouse), Japanese, and Italian. We wanted to try the seafood place and Mediterranean, but we were told they were closed during our stay. That was a bit of a bummer. So we picked the same restaurants as last year. Our favorite, by far, was the Japanese both years. Last year, however, the guy cooking our food at the Japanese was more outgoing and put on a "show" for us with the fire and mamaguana. This year, our chef only made a fire once. The food was delicious. They serve sushi, soup, tempura, the main course (fish, shrimp, chicken, beef, rice, veggies) and dessert. I was VERY disappointed that they didn't have fried ice cream this year. I can't express how mad I was! I was so looking forward to the fried ice cream. The steakhouse is excellent, as well. Great appetizer options. The Italian was our third favorite. A wide variety of delicious appetizers and great entrees. I highly recommend the Florentine-style sliced filet mignon. The Gourmet is also excellent, if you are into that sort of thing. The food was delicious, but the atmosphere is definitely swankier. 5 course meal. I highly recommend the filet mignon and the lamb chops. But I'm sure everything on the menu is equally delicious.
Buffet- If you can't find something you like to eat at the buffet, something is wrong with you! There is a huge selection to choose from for each meal of the day. Breakfast was my favorite, by far. The crepes, chocolate croissants, and omelettes were terrific.
Snack Bar- There are two snack bars. One is by the main pool and the other is on the beach. The snack bar on the beach has more to choose from. But you will find a wide array at each-- burgers, hot dogs, pizza, pasta, rice, chicken, salads, desserts, etc. We didn't find a need to go to the buffet for lunch as there was a great selection of food to choose from at the snack bars.
Pools- The water temperature in the pool could definitely be colder! The pool water is way too warm, in my opinion. That's about the only negative thing I can say about the pool. It gets so hot in Punta Cana that you need to take a dip in the beach for a refresher, because the pool water is just too warm. The main pool is where all the activities are held, as well as the swim-up bar. If you are looking to socialize or be a part of a "party scene", stay at the main pool. Adjacent to the main pool are two other pools that are just as nice, but less loud. If you are looking to kick-back and relax by the pool, I suggest you stay here. There's also a pool closer to the buffet that is a little more secluded. Not as many group activities, but you have a swim-up bar, volleyball net in the pool, and ping-pong.
Beach- The beach here is beautiful. White sand, clear water, clear skies- an idyllic Caribbean setting. Non-motorized sports are included in the price at this resort. You can go kayaking, boogie boarding, etc. There were definitely more shaded areas on the beach this year versus last year. It was tough finding sun beds under the shade last year. This year, our group of 7 headed over to the beach around 10am every morning, and we were able to find seats together under the shade everyday. The beach is very clean. You will find workers coming around very often picking up plastic cups and other litter. There is a lot of seaweed later in the afternoon, though. I'm not sure if this is something that can be remedied, but if it can- I would hope the resort would make more of an effort to take care of it. There are plenty of activities you can engage in on the beach. You will also see people coming by trying to sell you on ATV tours, parasailing, scuba diving, etc. They are not bothersome at all. They don't hassle you. They just walk by offering their services. FYI: If you are going to go parasailing, don't take your digital camera with you (even though they tell you its fine). Our friends took their camera with and they fell in the water before landing on the boat, and needless to say, their camera was ruined!
The price for this resort is great for the quality. The resort isn't ultra-luxurious, but it's top-notch. Well worth every penny! My husband and I went here two summers in a row. I will definitely stay here again in the future. We had a blast!!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Facilities and services 2 lake-style pools Large sun terrace New relaxation zone with Bali beds, sun umbrellas and loungers Pool and beach towels BAHIA SPA (additional charge) Sports facilities: gym, 3 tennis courts (floodlit for an additional charge), multi-sports court Water activity centre WiFi access in the lobby (1h per day free of charge) and in rooms (additional charge) Entertainment theatre Wedding gazebo 1 buffet restaurant and 17 speciality restaurants Japanese restaurant 10 bars 3 Snack Bars Cocktail Lounge Punta Blanca Golf Club: 18 hole Golf Punta Blanca Golf Club designed by Nick Price (additional charge) Pueblo Principe: Shopping and Leisure Mall with local craft stores, live music, shows, stores, bars, karaoke, disco and casino Rooms 816 rooms including two types: Superior Junior Suite and Club Hacienda Junior Suite Room facilities: King size bed or two full size beds Fully-equipped bathroom with hydromassage bath tub, hair dryer and magnifying mirror Sitting area with sofa Air conditioning Ceiling fan Telephone Alarm clock Satellite TV Minibar Coffee-making facilities Safe (additional charge) Ironing set Wifi (additional charge) Club Hacienda Junior Suite (See page 18 Club Golden, Club Hacienda) Children Bahia Scouts The hotel is perfect for families, offering a range of facilities tailored especially for children, including the following: Mini Club for children aged 4 to 12 Evening Mini Disco Babysitting service (additional charge) Bahia Scouts Water Park Fun Area and Adventure Park (additional charge) Teens' Club (11-16 years) Other services 24 hour medical service (additional charge) Pharmacy (additional charge) Bus stop opposite the hotel Meeting and convention room Personalised menus (for celiacs, diabetics, etc.) Available on request and subject to circumstances Specialised service for organising weddings, incentive trips, events and anniversaries ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Hotels.com, Odigeo, TravelUp, Priceline, Ebookers, Booking.com, Traveltool, S.L.U., TripOnline SA and Evoline ltd so you can book your Grand Bahia Principe Bavaro reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Gran Bahia Punta Cana
- Grand Bahia Principe Punta Cana
- Bahia Principe Dominican Republic
- Gran Bahia Principe Bavaro Resort
- Punta Cana Bahia Principe
- Gran Bahia Principe Bavaro Punta Cana
- Principe Punta Cana
- Bahia Punta Cana
- Bahia Resort Principe
- Gran Bahia Principe Dominican Republic