“Really enjoyed this resort”

Royalton Punta Cana Resort & Casino
Ranked #28 of 110 Hotels in Punta Cana
GreenLeadersSilver level
Stratford, Canada
“Really enjoyed this resort”
Reviewed 2 April 2014

I want to start off by letting you all know that we go away every year. I am not a newbie to travelling on packages, or with Sunquest.

Both my husband and I were extremely impressed by the Royalton. We just got back on March 29th...so much so that we may decide to revisit it next year. We've travel every year (sometimes twice) and this is the first resort we've seriously considered revisiting.

We both love food..(who doesn't right) and the a la carte restaurants are fantastic! We tried the Tapas (forgot the name), Opa, Hunter (Steak), Zen (Japanese) and the Italian (again forgot the name), then one night of room service. We didn't eat at the buffet for dinner once, and ate at Hunter twice! It was the best steak we've ever eaten in the Caribbean. You can wear shorts in all the restaurant men! My husband hates wearing long pants when in the Caribbean, and he didn't need to here (despite what you may read, shorts for men are acceptable).

We did opt for the Diamond Club which did have use of a personal butler. We didn't need his services much, but he did help with a few dinner reservations, checked in on us every day, and brought us a fun desert one night. His name was Junior and we'd highly recommend him. He was very sweet and accommodating. The Diamond Club also has their own section on the beach. We never had any trouble getting lounges in the sun, but shade is limited so be warned if you are needing it. We love the sun, so it wasn't a problem for us. The beach area was perfect, had lots of room and it wasn't crowded at all. My husband loved the fact that he could get Corona beer at the Diamond Club beach bar (you have to be a diamond club upgrade), and Budweiser was also offered...The beer everywhere else was the Presidente beer, which is just not as good as Corona or Bud. I think there was premium alcohol available at the Diamond Club beach bar also.

We didn't spend much time at the pool, but the day we did hang out there, it was nice. Loungers are a bit harder to come by there, but I'm sure if you needed a few, someone would bring you more as there was LOTS of space for more loungers. Again, not overcrowded there at all and the pools were clean and well maintained.

The rooms were very nice, always clean and the bed was the best we've slept on in the Caribbean.

The resort is very well laid out, not super huge and walking to everything was a matter of 2 minutes.

This resort is quiet! If you are looking for a relaxing, quiet vacation this is the perfect spot for you.

Seriously every staff member we encountered greeted us with a smile and a hello...and as an added bonus, when there it was the official grand opening of the hotel...and the President of the Dominican Republic was there and did a tour of the place..!!!! (how cool is that??)

To reiterate, this is a great place to visit. I would highly highly recommend it...and I'm looking forward to returning next year!

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Suzie M
MauricioZarate, General Manager at Royalton Punta Cana Resort & Casino, responded to this review, 4 April 2014
Dear Suzie M.,

Thank you for taking time to report your recent experience at Royalton Punta Cana, we are really happy to read your feedback on TripAdvisor about your recent visit.

Your positive feedback is very much appreciated. We can assure you we always try to do everything as possible to create enjoyable experiences to our guests, and we will consider all your comments like a great value that help us to improve.

Thank you for being part of our history and for being here to share our official inauguration day!

It would be a pleasure for all of us to welcome you back in the near future.
Kind Regards

Royalton Punta Cana & Memories Splash

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,680)
  • Czech first
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Charlotte, North Carolina
Reviewed 1 April 2014

We arrived 3/28 for 3 nights to escape the cold and celebrate some birthdays. The resort was top notch from the time we arrived to the time we left. We had a swim out room, upgraded to Diamond Club, and had the most amazing Butler, Manuel. Manuel escorted us to our room, showed us the resort and helped with each and every request. Not only did he make dinner reservations, he planned a great birthday celebration complete with cake, champagne, confetti, and balloons. He was always available and took care of us every day.

The beach was amazing, clear, beautiful water with waves that my son and I played in for hours. The Diamond Club beach service was amazing. Luis, Rosa, and Amaryllis were always available and provided drinks when ever we needed them. The beach service food was also fast and good. We never wanted to leave the beach.

The restaurants were great, especially Zen and Hunter steak house. Jose at Zen had my son laughing the entire time and the food was great.

Yes, as you've read, there are not that many chairs with umbrellas on the beach, we managed to find one each day.

Rooms were clean, AC worked great, and plenty big.

I don't have anything bad to stay, wish we could have stayed longer.

Room Tip: Swim out rooms were amazing. Son loved them (so did we).
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank LingeringLead
Dear Phil D.,

Firstly, the entire team of Royalton Punta Cana want to thank you for sharing your positive experience with the rest of the TripAdvisor community.

We are really happy to read words as nice as yours. To know that our staff and service have exceeded your expectations encourages us to keep working day by day to maintain this proposal of high level that we want to achieve.

We will be glad to welcome you back again. We are at your disposal for anything you need.

Manchester
Reviewed 1 April 2014

From the stunning long white sandy beaches, to the the crystal clear waters, to the comfortable pool side and luxury poolside double room this was perfect. Service was incredible and I did not need to upgrade to the Diamond Club. The staff make this place, they are attentive, friendly and honestly treat you like royalty. They are all under intense pressure to get reviews to reflect their performance which I think is a bit unfair. They are all amazing!! The Thomson Rep was a legend and became a friend. The food is really elegant and tasty and there is lots of variety. I love luxury and this place met my expectations. My only constructive feed back would be:

- The pool side and beach is overcrowded and there is a need for umbrella style parasoles. The brown towels and layout make everything look messy.

- The cocktails are not very good and alcohol content is low. For ideas look at Australasia and Alchemist in Manchester, UK, for inspiration.

- I totally loved the burgers by the pool in the afternoons but my boyfriend does not eat beef for religious reasons, I felt really guilty when he couldn't join in with us. It would have been nice if there was an alternative like chicken, fish and vegetarian burgers or just a general BBQ on the beach.

Otherwise this is excellent value for money. There are lots of brilliant excursions to choose from if you wish to do so, and Hard Rock Cafe is nearby. The Memories resort next door had a wave stimulator and some shoots was really good fun. The Thompson Rep at the Airport really helped us get our overweight luggage through for free. Honestly one of my best ever holidays on par with Sensortori Cancun and Hilton Thailand. Wish I was there now. Regina Khanum, Manchester, UK.

• Stayed March 2014
4 Thank LavishLady
MauricioZarate, General Manager at Royalton Punta Cana Resort & Casino, responded to this review, 3 April 2014
Dear LavishLady,

Paxton, Massachusetts
Reviewed 31 March 2014

First, I want to begin my review by thanking Jerre Martin, my terrific Travel Agent (972-347-2900), for recommending the Royalton Punta Cana after patiently listening to my vacation requirements. Had it not been for Jerre, with all of the other all inclusive resorts to choose from, it is unlikely that we would have been lucky enough to have selected the Royalton.

Second, the Royalton Punta Cana property is beautifully laid out, brand new and maintained in great condition. I was impressed when I noticed that several Staff members, while moving from one assignment to another, instinctively picked up glasses and other trash that some thoughtless guests had left behind, so the entire property was always clean. The rooms are nicely appointed, clean and very comfortable, my only complaint being that the bathroom sink faucets do not protrude far enough into the center of the sink, and as a result, water splashes onto the counter. My better half, "Caramella", also thought the room should have a full length mirror, which could be easily added. Otherwise, our accommodations were terrific and the bedding very comfortable. Maid service was great, with Ursula leading the way, and providing us with extras whenever needed.

Check in was effortless, with Luis at the front desk pleasantly greeting us when we arrived. He took care of all of our early arrival needs, and made sure that our luggage made it to our lovely ocean view room so that we could enjoy the beach and much needed sun and surf several hours before our scheduled 3PM check in. (BTW, we were always able to find vacant lounge chairs on the beach, so I do not understand some of the "blog" complaints I had read during the last few months about how guests had to get up at 6:30AM to find a vacant lounge chair on the beach. (Note, there are some canopy mattressed queen sized beds located throughout the pool and beach areas that are usually occupied, but unless you are an only child or are otherwise overly pampered, there are plenty of comfortable lounge chairs on the beach and around and in the pools that are more than suitable for the rest of us.)

Francisco, another member of the front desk staff, was also great. I met him a few days after we checked in when I brought my broken luggage to the front desk to see if they could recommend someone in town who could fix the broken zipper on my duffle bag. He promptly pulled some pliers out of his the desk drawer and within 10 minutes I was dropping my fixed luggage back at the room, and 5 minutes later, was back soaking up the sun on the beach.

The entire poolside bar staff, whom I occasionally visited, was fantastic; always efficient, polite, and happy to make you a good drink. "Aye, aye, aye!"

Antonio "Banderas" and Johnnie at the beautiful main lobby bar were also super, always quick to bring me some ice water and a Bloody Caesar or two after my daily draining tennis match against Caramella. As with the pool bar staff, they were always fun and happy to serve you with a smile and fine liquors.

The 6 or so restaurants were very good. Opa was our favorite, with great tenderloin, grouper and Greek specialties. Sashimi and sushi at Zen were also very good. Breakfast consisted of a nice buffet as well as custom made eggs and omelets, many fresh squeezed juices, fruits, and salmon, often with caviar. All of the wait staff at all of the restaurants was attentive, friendly and professional, with Samuel, Omar, and Paula earning special mention.

Felix Hernandez and Ismilsa were also extremely helpful, eager to please, and a joy to be around. In fact, the entire Entertainment Team was outstanding and simply a blast to be around. Each day at 1PM Caramella and I, with a few of Antonio's or Jonnie's Bloody Caesars under my belt, would show up at the poolside bar for our daily Meringue, Salsa or Bachatta dance lesson, which were enthusiastically, and more importantly, patiently, taught by "Blondie" (Jeffri), Luis, Chocolate, and the one and only Francisco Polanco, who, I am privileged to say, became a member of our "family" and my "brother" during our two week stay. The entire team was great, happily inviting guests throughout the day to participate in various activities like water aerobics, and Zoomba, It was this group that in the end will provide me with the fondest memories of the Royalton Punta Cana, the most memorable of which will always be seeing an adolescent special needs child lovingly grabbing Francisco's hand while walking around the pool with him. What more needs to be said. A very special group of people indeed.

Last but not least I must mention, Eduardo "Nadal", Royalton's Tennis Pro, and his assistant, Miguelle, both of whom happily greeted Caramella and me each morning when we showed up to practice our strokes, which sadly, neither of us had done for over two years, ....and it showed. We had a blast trying to catch up, though, and twice took advantage of Eduardo's free weekly "intermediate" tennis clinics, each of which left me panting and sweating like a dog, but with a much better understanding of what I had been doing wrong all of these years. Lots of fun and great instruction. I can only hope that this lousy weather that greeted us two days ago when we returned to Boston quickly improves so that I can get out on the court and practice what "Eddy" taught me.

In short, the Royalton Punta Cana is a wonderful, beautiful all-inclusive resort, with great food, and a beautiful beach, pools, rooms, and most importantly, a super and very special staff that we already miss and hope to see again soon.

Our best to you all, and again, thanks for the wonderful time and memories. Muy Excellente!

Hasta la Vista, todos mi Amigos!

All our Love,

Esteban and Caramella

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
5 Thank SteveinPaxton
Dear SteveinPaxton,

Thank you so much for sharing your experience at Royalton Punta Cana not only for your wonderful comments that you have had about our team, but also for taking the time to share your positive experience with the rest of the TripAdvisor community.

We are really glad to hear your comments about the impression of our hotel. Reading your comments help us to know that our decisions are in the good way to give our guests the best possible experience. Your comments about the attitude of the staff will be shared with the objective to motivate to continue with the best quality and guest satisfaction.

We hope you visit us again and of course we will be very pleased to welcome you.

Saskatoon, Canada
Reviewed 31 March 2014

-we stayed at the Royalton with our 3 teenagers mid Feb 2014. this was a fantastic resort with excellent service and beautiful new and clean facilities.
-adjoing rooms were awesome - air conditioning worked perfectly, rooms were clean and spacious
-food was excellent, al a carte's were fantastic and kids enjoyed the food as well.
-they boasted a very nice coffee shop with yummy cakes, cookies and ice cream which we all indulged every day!
-the beach was second to none with everything from white sand, nice weather and some waves to play in down the beach a short walk.
-we did some excursions that i would highly recommend - scuba diving, surfing, parasailing and snorkeling - all booked at the beach house on the resort. First time scuba diving for the kids - Catalina island was amazing
-special mention to some of the great service staff such as Perotte, Pavlo Castillo, Medrano Martinez.
-upon our arrival and after a long day of travel and a very early morning we were greeted at the resort by smiles and drinks, check in was fast and pleasant and after that, nothing went wrong at all. i would highly recommend this resort and location to anyone - from couples to families.
-the only downside to our trip was the terribly long line ups at the airport, and the gruelling delayed flight home. Sunwing - a 2 hour stop in Cayo Coco on the way home is just TOO long!

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
5 Thank M0mmaBear13
MauricioZarate, General Manager at Royalton Punta Cana Resort & Casino, responded to this review, 2 April 2014
Dear M0mmaBear13,

First of all, thank you so much for selecting Royalton Punta Cana for your holidays, it is a big pleasure to read this wonderful opinion about our hotel. And of course, thanks for sharing it on TripAdvisor.

We are very proud to know that your last experience at Royalton Punta Cana, exceeded your expectations. As you know our principal goal is to give you our best service, make your vacation exclusive and unforgettable. Your comments will help us with our continuing effort to assure our Guest Satisfaction.

We hope you visit us again next year. We will be very pleased to welcome you.

england
Reviewed 31 March 2014 via mobile

Arrived on 26th March amazing hotel and food.
Fantastic beach.Very friendly staff.
Me and my husband came to celebrate our 25 th wedding Anniversary
Emailed Hotel prior to arriving,expected them to make a bit of effort to help us celebrate our special event ie maybe a bottle of Champagne in room,but nothing,very Disappointed. But still having a great time.

Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
7 Thank maeyaEngland
Dear maeyaEngland,

We wish you a wonderful rest of your stay.

Bettendorf, Iowa
Reviewed 31 March 2014

The Royalton Resort was a very nice resort. It was newly opened in December 2013. My wife and two kids (13 & 15) enjoyed it. If you can afford it I recommend upgrading to the "DIAMOND CLUB" the extra charge is worth the money. The hotel was clean and easy to navigate. There were plenty of dinning and the food was very good. The beach was beautiful and there was plently of space. There were a lot of families very few "spring breakers" which was good.
One negative was the WIFI. i didn't mind but the kids weren't happy with it. It was spotty. The staff indicated this was something they were trying to improve. We did have a few issues but our personnal assistant was quick to fix the issues. When you sign up for "DIAMOND CLUB" you get a "Butler" or personal assistant. If you need anything you call them and they will take care of whatever you need.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank Jim L
MauricioZarate, General Manager at Royalton Punta Cana Resort & Casino, responded to this review, 31 March 2014
Dear Jim L.,

Memories Splash Punta Cana
#35 of 110 in Punta Cana
Grand Palladium Palace Resort Spa & Casino
Grand Palladium Bavaro Suites Resort & Spa

Been to Royalton Punta Cana Resort & Casino? Share your experiences!