“Something for the whole family!”

Royalton Punta Cana Resort & Casino
Ranked #28 of 110 Hotels in Punta Cana
GreenLeadersSilver level
Durham
“Something for the whole family!”
Reviewed 12 May 2014 via mobile

Royalton, Royalton, Royalton....oh how I wish I was still their! Myself, husband, daughter(17) and son(7) all found it well worth the money. We booked at our local travel agents, then I e-mailed the hotel direct to upgrade to diamond club. So when we arrived we were shown straight to the fantastic cool diamond club lounge. Wher we helped our selves to drinks and snacks, these are on offer all day long and well worth a visit on a daily basis, even if it's just to cool off for a little while. The lobby ( which is right next to diamond club area) is a nice place to sit at any time, we often sat on the super comfortable sofas late afternoon just to cool off with a lush glass of wine. On an evening when their are shows on outside, this area is busy as people often sit here to watch the shows or bands, which are on the lower level where their are also seats.
Shows start at 9.45pm and you normally need to find good seats by 9pm, good seats anyway. The shows in the theatre are good and their is a bar in their also.
The beach is very nice, the diamond club area is fab! The cabana beds are so so comfy! BUT!!! No matter how much extra you pay, upgrading to diamond club! you still have to be up before sunrise at the crack of dawn.....6am to get a bed in the shade, I was their with lots of others at 6am to get the best bed with shade! All we needed was a tea trolley to keep us going because once you have the bed you want you must stay their till at least 8am or till another member of your family came to take over. This caused a lot of drama some mornings as some people would have put towels down only at god knows what time then returned to their beds. So this meant empty beds for hours 4 or maybe 5 hours empty. But I must say the staff were on top off this and if someone came looking for beds in the shade the staff would remove towels and explain to to those people when they eventually came back what the rules were! It was entertaining to watch on many occasion ! Wifi is all over which is ok but when your whole family are on it most of the day and night it can cause problems, mums out there you know what I mean? Don't you?
Diamond club bar on the beach is great, this opens at 10am. Try the juice which is may just the way you want it. Their are loads of clean towels and you can take as many as you need all day long. Carlito one of the bar men and his staff all work so very hard all day and night long, thank you to everyone. The bar food is served all day on the beach, you don't have to lift a finger. Try the dirty monkey it's delicious !
The rooms are so clean BUT the closet space and draw space is very limited so beware as a family of 4 we lived out of suit cases which makes the room look untidy all the time! The bath room is tiny for a family and the one and only wash basin has not being thought out well.... The tap is too far away from the basin which then leaks, leaving water all around the sink. We used towels around the sink to soak up the water. Not a real problem and we didn't complain and we always had plenty of extra towels it just makes more work for the sweet cleaners. They work so hard as it is!
Our room was in block 5 right next to diamond club beach area we had room 1351 so close and perfect for getting up early to grab cabana beds. We faced on to another hotel and path which staff used to get to bar and beach this was not a problem as you get to know all of them so well. So don't worry if you get these rooms we had ground floor and had no problems. Their are security guards on beach at all times.
Lunch time you must try Opa please try this restaurant at lunch time...lobster fish and meat platter lush!
The Martini bar makes the best chocolate martinis I have ever tasted!!!! Mmmmmmyummmm!
Food and restaurants are all good you must try Zen, Under the sea and The steak House! The Bellini bar is a short ride away next too the Mexican in memories it's worth a visit.
The water park is a must for everyone and is well managed and well looked after! Try the black hole!
Coffee shop serves ice cream coffee and cakes.
The pools are fab and not too deep, you can touch the bottom 4.35 just right for me as I'm 5ft 2 perfic!
As we were leaving we noticed they were putting more shade up on beach area which makes things less hectic I hope!
Shops are ok, we got a few things to bring home.
The buffet is good ( on an evening) but for breakfast it is hectic so try breakfast in your room now and again it's quick and easy always warm and much calmer than rushing around, you will see for yourself when you experienced this for yourself.
Oh I must say our Butler was no help what so ever! I think it just depends on who you get because we saw other peoples butlers really being helpful! Never mind.
Overall we enjoyed this two week holiday very much I wish I was still their and hope to return In the future.
P.s Try the parasailing and the half day outback safari with Pape and Lucky great guides great experience !
Also get a swim up room we didn't but will defo next time it's a must!
Anyway book this hotel and you will enjoy it, if you don't like it your just a moaning mini !
Oh and last but not least TIP the staff most off them don't expect it but work so hard all day long.

• Stayed April 2014
5 Thank ShawDurham
MauricioZarate, General Manager at Royalton Punta Cana Resort & Casino, responded to this review, 13 May 2014
Dear ShawDurham,

First of all, thank you so much for selecting Royalton Punta Cana for your holidays, it is a big pleasure to read this wonderful opinion about our hotel. And of course, thanks for sharing it on Trip Advisor.

We are very proud to know that your last experience at Royalton Punta Cana exceeded your expectations. As you know our principal goal is to give you our best service, make your vacation exclusive and unforgettable. Your comments will help us with our continuing effort to assure our Guest Satisfaction.

Royalton Punta Cana & Memories Splash

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,681)
  • Czech first
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Chicago, IL
Reviewed 12 May 2014

We were a group of 12 traveling together, ages ranging from mid-30's to mid-40's. I was a bit nervous going into the vacation based on previous reviews. We booked back in November for a May vacation. Overall we had a great time, but there is a lot of truth in what others are saying. With that said, we did not let it ruin our vacation.

Check-in and rooms:
4 of the 6 couples booked "ocean view" rooms, 1 couple booked a swim-up room, the other couple (who arrived a day after us) booked a ocien view suite. The couple that booked the swim-up got a nice room by the adults area pool. This location was great. With their suite, they were given the 'diamond club' upgrade. They were treated like royalty by their Butler Santiago the entire week. The rest the group were NOT given an ocean view room. They were told they might be able to move to a different room the next day if they wanted. Me and my boyfriend were told at check-in "Oh we are giving you a GREAT room". After we were all checked in they showed us which building we were to be in. It was going to be building #4 which is NOT ocean view. So I immediately went back to the front desk to point this out. At this point, I was wondering what was so great about this room? After about a 20 minute wait, they moved us into building #6. We got to the room, and technically you can call this room ocean view if you turn your head all the way to the right you can see a piece of the beach and ocean, but when you look directly out your sliding glass door you are looking at another balcony. In short, this hotel does not really have "ocean view" rooms based on the layout of the buildings. There are a few that look out directly at the ocean, but I believe these might be suites. With that said, the couple that spent money on a suite did NOT get their suite. In fact, they tried to move them over to the memories resort. They refused and were given a regular room by the pool. The lesson is, if you book this hotel, you may just want to book a regular room because chances are that's what you will get. Although if I went back, I would really prefer the swim-up suites in the adults only area. I felt those were great rooms in a great location.

We booked through Apple, so on day #2 we were invited to a presentation that goes over the resorts and excursions. During this presentation a member of our group spoke to our Apple rep about the room situation and he spoke with the hotel. He was able to get us all a diamond club upgrade in lieu of moving our rooms, which we accepted. At first we thought this was great, but in the end we were not given the same treatment as the guests who checked in as diamond club members. We didn't even see our butler, Jose A., the entire week. Other members of our group saw him only because they were making complaints, but we didn't so he didn't pay any attention to us. In fact, Jose A., complained about his job mostly basically saying that the lack of service was not his fault because the hotel keeps giving him more and more guests to take care of and expects him to make miracles. He had told our group that the hotel overbooks by 40% and they try to move people over to memories which is not as nice a resort. He said there were not many upgrades done to memories.

We had no problems with our safe, but we did have an issue with our room lock. The battery died. After having to speak with the staff member that sits at a desk in our room block, who tries to sell you time-shares….. one of the butlers came to our room with another key. We told them that the battery was dead. It was not a key problem. We had our keys, they didn't work. So then he had to send for security to get our lock open. This took about 15-20 minutes. A little annoying since all I wanted to do was get into my room at this moment….. but they were as responsive as I could have expected. I was more annoyed by the staff member in the lobby still trying to sell me time-shares when all I wanted was help to get into our room. He will mention "free gifts", etc…. it's a scam. I'm on vacation. I do not want to sit through any sales pitches.

Sewage Smell:
Yes, there can be a smell of sewage in the rooms. I noticed it. It wasn't always there, but from time to time it could be pretty bad when you were stanidng near the sink. I didn't really notice it when I was in bed or anything.

Beach / Pool / Grounds:
The resort is stunning. Everything is very clean. The beach is clean, sand is soft, and the water is amazing. Pool water is nice and warm. There were always loungers available. Because we were diamond club, we had access to the private beach. This was probably the only benefit to this upgrade. It's just a small sectioned off area and a bar close by, and they will send servers out to take drink/food orders. But believe me, they are not fast so be prepared to wait 20-30 minutes for your order. The ocean was calm for a few of the days, but was rough the last couple days, but it was a ton of fun to play in the waves. Careful though, the current can be strong. The hotel lobby is open air, and is a great place to hang out at in the evening.

Food / Service:
The food was amazing. We didn't have one bad thing. Hunters Steak House is amazing. Zen is amazing. Everything was great. The service was spotty. Some of the staff were great, and others not so great. It was hit or miss. Some staff won't even look at you or acknowldge you when you ask them a question, and others will go out of their way and make conversation. For example, our group of 12 was standing at the beach bar wanting to order drinks. The staff member took 2 of our drink orders and then ignored the rest of us??? I don't understand it. We were tipping WELL also, so I'm not sure what the problem was. We noticed that a lot of people don't tip at all.

Entertainment / Casino:
We didn't go to any of the shows in the theater….. I heard they aren't so great. They seemed to have some type of musical entertainment each evening in the main area of the hotel. From what I saw, it was all pretty good. The "white dreams" beach party was a fabulous time! We just sort of stumbled upon it just as it was starting, so we hung out and we were glad we did. It got very lively and everyone was having a great time.

The sports bar was dark and dingy. I really didn't like being in there. It smelled awful inside. It is also connected to the dance club that opens up a little later. This wasn't all that great either. It's just not a place we wanted to hang out in. It was too nice outside to be in these places. I'd rather sit in the lobby bar or the beach bar.

The casino was hardly a casino. It's VERY small. We actually ended up taking a 5 minute cab ride to the hard rock casino just down the road. That casino is very nice and pretty big. We had a great few hours there. You just get a bracelet when you arrive there and you can head right in. Free drinks while gambling.

Excursions:
We did the zip line, which was a lot of fun. You take a air-conditioned bus to a location and then switch to an open air bus to take you up the mountain. It was a VERY rough ride. The zip lining was a lot of fun.

We also did something called the Marinarium. This was not worth it. They take you out to a protecteted snorkel area to swin with nurse sharks and sting rays. By time we got off the catamaran (which is NOT really a catamaran at all), we were only in the water for 15 minutes before they made us come back. We then set sail and it became a "booze cruise" before they dropped you into what they call a "natural swimming pool", which to me was just a little sandbar in the ocean. We had fun, but for $100 per person?? Really not worth it at all. There were also a group of women on the cruise that were doing things with the staff members that they should not have been doing while we were in the water. We happened to catch them in the bathroom. Can you say disgusting? Things happend on this boat and on land when we returned that I can't even type here.

Overall:
We had a great trip. We weren't going to let the things that went wrong ruin our trip with our friends. We were just happy to be there enjoying the weather, beach, water, food, drinks….. I went into it with an open mind based on previous reviews. Once I was there I could totally understand what some people were saying. I think some of those people really let it ruin their time, but I did not want to do that. If I was at home, I'd be at work…. and I would rather be there! If anyone has any questions, feel free to contact me.

Room Tip: Adults only area seemed the nicest, but don't expect to get the room that you booked. Nobody in...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank KitKatChicago
Dear KitKatChicago,

We are very sorry that your holiday with us did not meet your expectations and we appreciate your constructive comments and thank you for having taken some of your valuable time to send to Trip Advisor your positive comments.

Your comments have been reported and they will be taken into account in the future. We will continue working to improve our services, as our top priority is to provide the best experience our guest.

We are at your complete disposal.
Kind regards.

York, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 May 2014

This is a beautiful hotel which is spotlessly clean from the grounds to the rooms. The check-in was a bit chaotic, after our 2 min greeting from our Thomson Rep we were then left wandering around looking for our room on our own with just the room number on an envelope. There is a major language barrier with most of the staff, we asked a couple of people how to get from the lobby to our room but we just got pointed in a general direction with no specific answer, it was only when I saw our suitcases being moved that we ran to follow them, on arrival to our room they had forgotten to put the room card in the envelope, luckily one of the very nice cleaning ladies let us in while we got our cards. The check out was similar, confusion over our pick up time nearly resulted in our cases been put ready to load on a coach which wasn't ours, we physically had to watch them being put in the holding room while we waited for our transfer time. These are fairly minor points in the grand scheme of things, the hotel does need to improve it's check-in/out procedures though.

The rooms were great, although designed by a man I think, especially the bathroom, the sink area is open plan with no door, and very small surface area to store your toiletries, if you're lady who likes her 'girlie' products like me you will struggle, The toilet and shower are behind a closed door, the shower door opens out virtually on top of the toilet. The room has no dressing table mirror for getting ready, just a flat screen TV, there is a full length mirror but you can only stand about a foot away from it and the lighting above it is terrible, as is the lighting around the sink area, if you're a clean shave kind of guy you'll manage but anyone trimming a goatee for example it will be pot luck! ... unless you bring a torch for your other half to hold. The beds are extremely comfortable and we slept very well every night, they are spacious and the wardrobes have enough hanging space, I do however always take a few of my own coat hangers which I did use. The rooms are cleaned to an excellent standard.

All the accommodation blocks are within easy reach of the main building, you'd have to be super lazy to complain about walking to the restaurants. We were in block 4 round the back which was nice and quiet.

The food is excellent, the buffet has a wide choice to suit everyone and is regularly replaced with fresh trays of food. You will have to book the Zen (Japanese restaurant) but usually you will get in the same night if not the night after, you can't book the others, the Hunter steakhouse had an 1 3/4 hour waiting time the first time we went, it would have meant eating well after 9 so we went back the night after which was quieter and we got a table no problem. The Italian restaurant has a nice atmosphere but not a fantastic menu so we only ate there once.

The beach is beautiful, but finding a spot with shade was a challenge, my hubby got up at 5.30 one morning to put the towels out, something I hate doing, but it was that or fry in the sun. More shade is needed on the beach, but there was plenty of sunbeds and fresh towels. We never used the pools as they were always quite busy, we prefer a view of the sea anyway so it didn't bother us.

You can use the facilities at the Memories hotel too, great if you have kids as they will love the splash park area. We never got chance to eat there as the food was so good at the Royalton. I would recommend getting out and about and booking some trips, we did the Dolphin Explorer and the Outback Safari, it was nice to get out of the hotel for a bit and see something of the Island.

The evening entertainment we saw was very good, we were very impressed with the circus style evening and the live band. The only downside is that the hotel doesn't provide extra seating so most people were standing or sitting on any piece of wall they could find or the floor. It would be nice if you could sit in a comfort while watching.

Overall this is a lovely hotel and I don't think you would be disappointed if you booked (I personally wouldn't recommend going with Thomsons as the Rep was more than useless).

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
4 Thank YorkieDuo
Dear YorkieDuo,

Thank you for taking time to report your recent experience at Royalton Punta Cana, we are really happy to read your feedback on TripAdvisor about your recent visit.

Your positive feedback is very much appreciated. We can assure you we always try to do everything as possible to create enjoyable experiences to our guests, and we will consider all your comments like a great value that help us to improve.

It would be a pleasure for all of us to welcome you back in the near future.

Wrexham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 May 2014 via mobile

We stayed at the Royalton Punta Cana for two weeks in April. The hotel was fabulous and the staff are friendly and so helpful they can't do enough for you.
The hotel and room are kept very clean!
Brilliant weather mid 30's boiling everyday. The diamond club and spa are wonderful. The trips we went on the outback safari and explore the dolphins brilliant! (Although be prepared to be waiting around a lot at the dolphin park). Restaurants wonderful food and we enjoyed every meal. Although sometimes you do have to eat early if you want to eat at the steak house as it becomes very busy!
Pools and water park clean and brilliant little train/ bus that takes you between Royalton and memories easy to jump on!
Don't pay for Children under two at the immigration although you still need to fill out a form. We didn't know on arrival and paid but were told by our rep on the outbound that children under two do not pay entering or leaving the Dominican.
I would recommend this hotel!!

If you choose this hotel hope you have a great holiday because my husband little girl under 2 and I thoroughly enjoyed it!!

Stayed April 2014
3 Thank Paradiseonearth14
Dear Paradiseonearth14,

Campton, Kentucky
Reviewed 11 May 2014

We stayed at Royalton Punta Cana May 3 through May 10. This place is way better than previous reviews. We had Diamond Club Swim out room and loved it. Everyone at the resort treated us like royalty, our butler Danilo was great always available and helpful the pool guy Juan Carlos was very friendly and hard working in Hunter restaurant Black Royal was very good. Overall I rate this resort as excellent and recommend it to anyone

Andy S

• Stayed May 2014
1 Thank Andys59
Dear Andys59,

Thank you so much for sharing your experience at Royalton Punta Cana not only for your wonderful comments that you have had about our team, but also for taking the time to share your positive experience with the rest of the TripAdvisor community.

We are really glad to hear your comments about the impression of our hotel. Reading your comments help us to know that our decisions are in the good way to give our guests the best possible experience. Your comments about the attitude of the staff will be shared with the objective to motivate to continue with the best quality and guest satisfaction.

We hope you visit us again and of course we will be very pleased to welcome you.
Best greetings,

Reviewed 11 May 2014

I'm here right now and having a fabulous time! The food is great...especially Hunter's steakhouse..so good we ate dinner there twice! Didn't catch much of the entertainment as we spent most nights down near the beach...fetching drinks from Trattoria.

I can't say enough how friendly the staff are. They're amazing and all have the most beautiful big smiles for everyone. Jose at the International Buffet was phenomenal and went above and beyond to make sure we had what we needed. And my friend Salomon Pierrefils from room service was the best! I'm so glad I had the opportunity to meet him and ask a few questions about life in this beautiful paradise...all of which he answered happily. Thank you, Salomon!

The only thing I wished there was more of is some island music. More raggae!!

I would definitely come visit again :)

• Stayed May 2014
3 Thank Tracey S
Dear Tracey S.,

We wish a wonderful rest of your stay. We are at your disposal for anything you need.

Reviewed 11 May 2014 via mobile

Our stay at the royal ton was so fun and fabulous,I, do not know where to begin. Service, food drinks, beautiful room decor,pools beach, shopping all so very nice. I am a world traveler, and have been to many great places.I am trying to figure why the Royalton was so wonderful. I think it comes down to the staff, you have so many great people that really love what they do. Two of those people, Edrey, wow, what a sweetheart. She got us into so much stuff and it was all so fun. Also Francisco, what a ball of fire. He also a great motivator. I came to rest in the sun after a total knee replacement, how did he get me in the pool for water aerobics? Thank all of you for a most memorable holiday. Theresa Starkey sister of Robin,Peggy niece Molly Bob Jim Ted ect

Stayed April 2014, travelled with family

Memories Splash Punta Cana
#35 of 110 in Punta Cana
Grand Palladium Palace Resort Spa & Casino
Grand Palladium Bavaro Suites Resort & Spa

Been to Royalton Punta Cana Resort & Casino? Share your experiences!