“Fantastic Holiday”

GreenLeadersSilver level
Carluke, United Kingdom
“Fantastic Holiday”
Reviewed 10 June 2014

We booked the holiday online 9 weeks ago and upgraded to premium seats on the Dreamliner, which was a fantastic experience and well worth the extra. Having to change to adult only rooms due to an error on my part on booking, were delighted with the rooms on arrival and completely surprised that we were also members of the Diamond club, which completely transformed our holiday. The adults only pool for Diamond club members was super and we never had to look for sun beds as they were in plentiful. The Diamond Cub bars with premium drinks were exceptional and having our own butler and concierge made our holiday more perfect. The resort was immaculate and the beach beautiful. The food was of a very high standard and the speciality restaurants were excellent, the Hunters for steak and the Mediterranean for sea food lunch platter was to die for. The staff could not be more friendly and helpful and our favourites were Olvera, Jose' and Crystal Maria who looked after us at the Diamond Club Pool Bar (photos attached)
We could not forget our Concierge Danila Gonzalez, who organised the change of rooms to the ground floor and supplying us with our complimentary drinks package and fruit delivered to our room. He was always there to assist.
The Diamond receptionist, Naileo Cabrero was always on hand to help at any time.
All the staff were excellent, but these few were exceptional and made our holiday special..
My wife and I are in our sixties and have done cruises, all inclusive packages and 5 star hotels, but have to say that this hotel and Thomson have made this a holiday to remember and probably our best yet. We will certainly be returning to the Royalton and the 9 hour flight from Glasgow was well worth it. Well done Thomson!

Room Tip: If you have no children, book adults only Diamond Club, you will not be disappointed!
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
3 Thank Graeme B
MauricioZarate, General Manager at Royalton Punta Cana Resort & Casino, responded to this review, 13 June 2014
Dear Graeme B.,

Firstly, we would like to thank you for spending your time sharing your experience at Royalton Punta Cana and thanks for giving us the esteemed opportunity of serving you during your stay in Punta Cana.

We would like to express our gratitude for your nice comments you made about your stay. It is always great to receive positive feedback on numerous aspects of the hotel, service and installations. It will be a pleasure to share them with the rest of the team.

We will be delighted to attend you in future if you come back to Punta Cana. We would like to see you again in our hotel Royalton Punta Cana as soon as possible.

Kind regards,

Royalton Punta Cana & Memories Splash

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,795)
  • Czech first
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Jersey City, New Jersey
Reviewed 10 June 2014

I traveled with my best friend for 1 week the end of May for a girls' getaway. I had booked us through Cheapcaribbean.com and got a good deal. We arrived at the resort before lunchtime and obviously our room wasn't ready. We had lunch first and then toured the resort to familiarize ourselves where everything is. Even got to book at massage later that evening to start our vacation relaxed! And we had a 20% discount for the massage!

When our rooms were ready, the front desk wanted to put us in Building 2 on the ground floor (right next to the Adults Only Pool). I was hesitant to get a ground floor room based on some previous reviews about a funky room smell. I had said that I would prefer NOT to get a ground floor room, but they said the room is fine. I took them at their word and thought I would give the room a chance. As soon as I entered the room, I immediately noticed the funky smell that previous reviews had mentioned. I walked back out and went back to the front desk and insisted that they change my room. I could not imagine myself staying in that room for the whole week and was persistent in getting a different room. The female receptionist seemed unwilling to help but luckily there appeared to be a manager on duty and he helped me out instead. I was transferred to Building 4 on the 3rd floor (next to the Steakhouse) and room was much,much better. Had the resort view and faced the Steakhouse.

Room service was pretty good, consistently done every day...even turn down. If we needed more than what they were re-stocking, it helped to leave a $1 or two tip to get the extra supplies we needed. Be wary though...anything important or of value should be locked in the safe or locked in your luggage. We met a couple who had the wife's insulin medicine stolen - which is very unfortunate.

Rooms are gorgeous! LOVED the rainshower in the bathroom. A big perk was 2 USB charging outlets right by the bedstand. Perfect for those with smartphones or other devices and just need to bring USB cords. Otherwise, I had my multiple USB plug-in charger as a back up if I needed to charge more devices. Only downside was there is no elevator in the buildings, so had to walk up and down the stairs. I was concerned about having to bring my luggage up and down the stairs myself, but they had numerous porters available for that.

We loved that the resort wasn't too big or too small. Especially that there was the option to go back and forth between hanging out at the pool or at the beach. Both are well maintained. Only concern is the tiled walkways, which can get slippery when wet. So be sure to bring slippers that have a decent tread.

Food was pretty decent. Hunter Steakhouse was the best -- probably the best steak I've ever had! We waited 1 hour to get in, but it was worth it. Also enjoyed Opa and Cava Tapas - went to both twice. Grazie was decent for lunch and otherwise, we ate at Marche for breakfast. If you were too tired or lazy to go to any of these places for lunch, the burger grill right by the pools served very good burgers. Zen was okay (it is hibachi) and sushi. I had hoped (and another suggestion) that they would have served/offered authentic or typical Dominican cuisine...I mean, we are visiting a foreign country - I don't necessarily want to eat the same food that I eat at home; want to try something different. Overall, drinks were pretty decent also. Water served or provided was always bottled, so no concern there.

The layout of some of the buildings and restaurants were open air, while others had air conditioning. The rooms were air conditioned, which is great because it can get soo hot and humid in Punta Cana. A complaint (and another suggestion) is that ALL of the restaurants and main lobby areas should have ceiling fans. While there is a light breeze that does come in from being right on the beach, it can get a bit stuffy and uncomfortable for us folks who are not used to that heat and humidity on a daily basis.

A big shout out to Luis and Pedro (Scooby Doo) who were the fun events patrol. They tried to get everyone involved in many of Royalton's daily activities, whether it be Bocce, Volleyball, Zumba, learning to dance Bachata, Ping Pong, Pool Excercise, etc. They really made it a fun vacation! Keep up the great work!

The daily night shows were good. Got to watch 3 or 4 shows. We really liked the acrobatic show and the dancing show. Downside was that the shows were outdoors, as Royalton is currently renovating the theater.

While we stayed on the Royalton side, we got to explore the Memories side. The waterpark at Memories was soo much fun, even for the adults! It was nice to take a ride on the trolley train. They have some wild animals on site (peacocks, flamingoes, etc). You even got to take pictures with some exotic animals (I got to take a picture with a yellow python...just like Britney Spears!).

Paying in cash is best, but some places/services do accept credit cards. Tips were generally $1 - $2 per person (i.e. porter, driver, maid, waitress, tour guide, etc) so bring LOTS of singles!

Most staff do speak English, but it helps if you know a little Spanish to help you along.

All in all, we really enjoyed the Royalton and would love to go back again soon!

Room Tip: Avoid rooms on ground floor. Building 4 is away from pool area, Rooms on 2nd or 3rd floors have a b...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
5 Thank Doxxies
Dear Doxxies,

First of all, thank you so much for selecting Royalton Punta Cana for your holidays, it is a big pleasure to read this wonderful opinion about our hotel. And of course, thanks for sharing it on Trip Advisor.

We are very proud to know that your last experience at Royalton Punta Cana exceeded your expectations. As you know our principal goal is to give you our best service, make your vacation exclusive and unforgettable. Your comments will help us with our continuing effort to assure our Guest Satisfaction.

We hope you visit us again next year. We will be very pleased to welcome you.

Winnipeg, Canada
Reviewed 10 June 2014

This was the first time my husband & I went on an all inclusive trip, and this resort was amazing! The resort is beautiful and the beach is spectacular! After walking the beach we found that Royalton's beach was by far the best! Lots of loungers, shade & sand. No need to worry about swimming shoes, there are no rocks at this beach location! Staff was extremely courteous and helpful. The restaurants and food are top notch, with a variety to choose from. Rooms are modern and clean. Facilities are well maintained. A nice touch was having our privileges extended to Royalton's sister resort Memories. Great waterpark for kids! Complimentary transportation is provided if you don't want to walk to Memories. Location is great, near a shopping center, but beware the shop owners are very aggressive. If you are not looking to be bother while shopping, you are better off to buying souvenirs at the resort. Resort also offers nightly shows which are amazing, especially the cirque show. Also has a bar on location for those that enjoy dancing. Overall we had an amazing first time all-inclusive experience with Royalton. We will definitely be back!

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
4 Thank melmarief
Dear melmarief,

We would like to thank you personally for sharing on TripAdvisor your kind feedback about your stay at Royalton Punta Cana.

We appreciate to hear that we have been able to meet your expectations and that our location and facilities have contributed to a wonderful holiday in our hotel. It is a great pleasure to read how much you have enjoyed our resort.

We hope to have you back soon enjoying Royalton Punta Cana.

Ely, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 June 2014

I am known amongst friends for being honest and this is my honest review/opinion of the Royalton Punta Cana. I apologise now for the length of it!

We were a group of 3 couples travelling for a holiday. After booking in August 2013 and reading the reviews I was seriously worried about what we would turn up to...... I needn't have been, it was overall a wonderful holiday!

We travelled 25th April - 9th May 2014. After a 5hr delay at Gatwick and a Thomson Dreamliner with no in-flight entertainment and hair in our food we finally arrived at Punta Cana Airport. I had organised a private transfer instead of going on the coach, this we quickly found and were on our way.

We arrived at the lobby of the Royalton at around 8.30pm and were greeted with a cold flannel and a lovely cold drink which was very welcome after such a long journey. We went to the front desk to check in and were told we were upgraded to Diamond Club! What a lovely surprise that was! We were promptly taken to the Diamond Club Lounge, checked in and given our own butler who swiftly took us on a tour of the resort while our bags were being taken to our room.

We were allocated block 3, room 1226 (Overlooks the pool and has a partial sea view!! :-D) All I can say is WOW! A beautiful room which was clean, modern, had a flat screen TV and a full length mirror! (The ladies will understand the importance of that!) We had plenty of storage for two of us and didn't find the size of the bathroom or sink area a problem. The bed is the most comfortable I have slept in, so much so that my bad back was non-existent for two weeks! The pillows were so soft, I am actively looking to buy some! A nice touch was the extending shaving/make up mirror with light on it in the bathroom and a set of bathroom scales, not that I wanted to know how much weight I had gained LOL! Our maid Santa stocked our mini bar daily and left chocolates every evening when she turned down the beds. Air con and fan both worked without problems. We preferred fresh milk in the room for coffee/tea, this was easily arranged by asking for milk at the buffet restaurant and putting it in our mini-bar fridge. The TV didn’t work one afternoon, I made a call to reception and 10 minutes later a lovely man came and repaired it. There was no smell of sewerage in our room, the toilet did get blocked once and again it was quickly sorted.

Restaurants/buffet were average to good, we tried all of them and I can't say that I had a clear favourite. Not even at full capacity, we found the service was very slow in all of them and the food was never steaming hot in any of them unless you were in the buffet or Zen where some of the food is cooked on the grill while you waited. I do have to say that the beef tenderloin was fabulous in all of the restaurants that served it. Big thank you to the chef in the Italian Restaurant at Memories, he made us spaghetti bolognese even though it wasn’t on the menu J Hot food was served cold in the Mediterranean at Memories. The buffet at Memories was better than the one at Royalton. Flies were a problem in the restaurants, more needs to be done to keep them off the food!

We only met two members of the entertainment team and they were Frances aka 'Smiler' and Jeffrey who did the Zumba. Never saw any other members and was not asked to participate in any activities, if there were any activities we wasn’t aware of where or when. Nightly entertainment was just OK except for the Circus Act which was great. Michael Jackson Tribute was good, personally I found the backing dancers more talented than ‘Michael’. I really was very disappointed with the beach party….. It was totally geared towards the youngsters!! What would have been great was more music suitable to the 40 plus age group and a Caribbean theme! All we had all night was what I would call house/garage/boom, boom, boom music with way too much bass! I though I was at a Rave! LOL!

The beach/Diamond Club beach was lovely and clean, the sea was quite rough and the under-current strong so I would advise care. Loungers were easily available but to get under the shade you would need to put a towel out at around 7am and make sure you are on that chair by 8am, DO NOT leave your bed for more than two hours or you may come back to find someone else has taken it! We forgot the time when we went to lunch one day and returned to find our things gone and somebody else on our beds! There are still selfish people who put towels out and didn’t use the beds and some silly enough to go down to put towels out prior to 6am! If you notice a bed in the shade not being used for two hours and you tell a member of staff they will remove the personal items off that bed so you can use it. Pool towels are easily available with no card system so you can have as many as you like.

Splash water park was brilliant!! We spent all day here and had a great time! They have towels so you don’t have to carry them from the hotel.

Caribbean music of some kind playing around the pools would have been great, it was very quiet during the day until the music from Zumba which was late afternoon! The pools were very clean and not too deep. We preferred the adult only pool as it was easier to get a bed in the shade without playing the towel game. Elvira the waitress and the barman (Didn’t catch his name!) at this pool were very attentive and the drinks were very good.

Some of the bars were good, disappointed that the swings had been taken down from the beach bar before we got there. We found the Lobby Bar the best and spent most evenings there. The Diamond Club bar was ok, communication here and at DIPS pool bar was a bit of a problem as my Spanish is not very good and their understanding of English wasn’t good. Sports bar was very dark and freezing cold, the pool table has seen better days! Martini bar was good, as was the chocolate martini :-) Top shelf spirits (Smirnoff, Bombay Sapphire, Barceló, Baileys, Amoretto to name a few) are available to all guests in all the bars. I do believe that there is a different selection of beer in the Diamond Club bar. If you want an international brand spirit ask for it, don’t just say vodka/coke and expect Smirnoff! The bar staff are not mind-readers.

The Casino was OK, we found it difficult to play the machines as nobody was around to explain how they worked. The nightclub was disappointing, again geared totally towards the 18-25 year olds! Too much bass and boom, boom, boom so we didn’t bother going in!!

There is a ‘train’ that runs regular from Memories to the Royalton but you can walk in around 10-15 minutes. We did venture to the ‘Mall’ next door….. Be careful the sellers are quite intimidating! To be honest the goods are cheap and they look it. If you decide to buy always barter, they will try and rip you off and give sob stories to make you feel guilty. We did a trip to a so called Dominican Wal-Mart in Punta Cana, recommended by a member of the Diamond Club staff. Wal-Mart it wasn’t and I have to say I did not feel safe at all when we got there! We did buy a few gifts here but had to barter hard to get the price we wanted… My advice, be prepared to say no and walk away, it usually works and you get the price you want. There is a free shopping trip that goes twice a day from the hotel to a proper shopping mall, we actually did this one twice.

The floors are marble and are very slippery! The stairs to the lobby bar are glass, all very nice but also slippery! I took my shoes off and walked up bare foot or got the lift. We didn’t use room service so can’t comment and we didn’t encounter any problems with the ‘timeshare’ staff in block 3.

I did notice that most of the staff were happy to serve you because it was part of their job to do so but I was sad to see others clearly hanging about after bringing a drink expecting a tip every time they served you. If they didn’t get a tip they would ignore guests in favour of the other guests that were constantly tipping. I do have to mention that I also witnessed some hotel guests speaking to the staff like dirt! They should be totally ashamed of themselves!

Staff worthy of a mention for their exceptional customer service to us are Carlos, Erasmo, Angel, Demetrio and Wanda in the Lobby Bar, always prompt service with a smile! Elvira at the adult pool, another who was always smiling (I hope her eyes have got better now). Rosa at the Diamond Club beach, this girl never stopped smiling while walking in the sand all day in the heat. Francis (Smiler) of the entertainments team for making me do Zumba! Santa our maid who kept our room absolutely spotless! Our butler Jose was ‘missing’ for the first 5 or so days of our holiday but was good when we asked him to make reservations for us.

Diamond Club privileges really were not worth the extra £’s or $’s. We got upgraded free which was lovely but the ‘extras’ really wasn’t worth it, the treatment you get as a regular guest is just as good.

Check out was 12pm and you kept your wrist band so you can still get food/drink until 4pm. Our check out was very quick and easy.

Overall the Royalton was a lovely hotel bearing in mind it has only been open since December. I do believe that by this time next year, the staff will be more settled, the grounds more established and the hotel will be even better.

Room Tip: Block 3 room 1226. A lovely view of the pool and a partial sea view
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
5 Thank Passion-Arabians
Dear Passion-Arabians,

Thank you for taking time to report your recent experience at Royalton Punta Cana, we are really happy to read your feedback on TripAdvisor about your recent visit.

Your positive feedback is very much appreciated. We can assure you we always try to do everything as possible to create enjoyable experiences to our guests, and we will consider all your comments like a great value that help us to improve.

It would be a pleasure for all of us to welcome you back in the near future.

Toronto, Ontario
Reviewed 10 June 2014

My husband & I ended up going here on a last minute trip, we were not disappointed. The location, hotel & staff were all amazing. We paid extra for the Diamond Service and it was definitely worth it, it was nice to have our own beach and some extra added touches. The staff in the Diamond club were incredible, there is nothing they would not do for you. We did have a butler "Tony" but we only saw him "once", so we used to go to the club to make any request we had. The hotel rooms are very nice and everything was very clean. The restaurants are great and it's worth trying all of them, our favorite was the Japanese one and we went there twice - once for the tepanyaki & once for sushi. The spa was great too, we went for a few treatments and it's a great spa. Our Sunwing rep was amazing and suggested two trips that were both amazing - The reef explorer - massage/kayaking/snorkeling/swimming with the sting rays & nurse sharks, etc & the dune buggy - it was a ton of fun, go on a muddy day and don't wear good clothes - we were literally covered in mud from head to foot but it was awesome!

Room Tip: Ask for a higher level & if you can afford it get a room with the swim out pool. Ocean views are...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank ScillinTO
Dear ScillinTO,

Thank you so much for sharing your experience at Royalton Punta Cana not only for your wonderful comments that you have had about our team, but also for taking the time to share your positive experience with the rest of the TripAdvisor community.

We are really glad to hear your comments about the impression of our hotel. Reading your comments help us to know that our decisions are in the good way to give our guests the best possible experience. Your comments about the attitude of the staff will be shared with the objective to motivate to continue with the best quality and guest satisfaction.

We hope you visit us again and of course we will be very pleased to welcome you.
Best greetings,

Green Valley, Arizona
Reviewed 9 June 2014

I booked this resort through a travel agent after some friends had visited the Dominican Republic at another resort and totally loved it. Everything about the Royalton is top notch. The staff was polite, helpful and fun. The facilities were well maintained. The food was to die for and having anything you wanted to drink at any time topped it all off.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Jo S
Dear Jo S.,

We hope to have you back soon enjoying Royalton Punta Cana.

Birmingham, Alabama
Reviewed 8 June 2014

We went with our kids ages 24, 21 and 17 and they each brought a friend with them. I can't say enough about the accommodations. The beach was beautiful and the entire resort was immaculate and the staff extremely courteous and helpful. The food was all outstanding! We ate at Zen two times because it was the favorite of our kids. The steak house and the Italian restaurant were awesome too. I can't say enough about the staff at the sports bar and the martini mixer bar. I would like to mention Vasquez Bolanta (Oliver) at the sports bar, Kelvin Melo at several different bars and Fabio (sp?) out at the pool bar. These guys all made sure we were all taken well care of at all times. The older boys loved going to the sports bar every day and having appetizers and they always remembered us and what we liked to drink. The maid service was also exceptional. I had the two 17 year girls in our room so you only imagine how much stuff was thrown around and it seemed we were always in our room when they came but they never minded and came back to tidy up after we left. Always very clean and straightened every day. We were offered a free gift regarding a time share but there was no pressure and when we said we weren't interested there was not problem and yet our rep remained as helpful as he had been every day. The nightly entertainment was always enjoyable and they had a good variety. We were fortunate enough that the dance crew Buccn N Flvr from Canada was there and that was a HUGE hit with all the kids. They would have liked to watch them every night if they could have. Over all it was an absolutely amazing get away and it is an unanimous decision that we will be returning there someday-just can't be soon enough whenever it is!

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
7 Thank Julie R
Dear Julie R.,

We appreciate to hear that we have been able to meet your expectations and that our location and facilities have contributed to a wonderful holiday in our hotel. It is a great pleasure to read how much you are enjoying our resort.

We hope you keep having a great time in your vacation here at Royalton Punta Cana.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Punta Cana
Memories Splash Punta Cana
Memories Splash Punta Cana
#33 of 112 in Punta Cana
Grand Palladium Bavaro Suites Resort & Spa

Been to Royalton Punta Cana Resort & Casino? Share your experiences!