“Need some improvements; Still one of the best in Punta Cana!”

Royalton Punta Cana Resort & Casino
Ranked #25 of 111 Hotels in Punta Cana
GreenLeadersSilver level
Fort lauderdale
“Need some improvements; Still one of the best in Punta Cana!”
Reviewed 20 July 2014

I will review Royalton Resort as objective as possible with minimum personal interference; TRUE STORY, minus any drama, over-expectations, and petty complaints.
Hotel Property Grounds: Pros- In general is beautiful. The property is very close to the beach, and although the acreage is spacious, everything is within walking distance. (This was important to me because, I stayed at a total different resort in another country where it was exhaustion just to leave your room and walk up front to all the amenities). The water park next at Memories resort was awesome fun. The lines were not long and the water was warm everywhere. Cons: There is still some minor things to fix. For example, I resided in Room 3214 swim out suite, and directly across from my balcony view there was a unfinished landscaping, exposed pipes, rocks and workers digging (once).
ACCOMODATIONS: The rooms look just like the pictures on the website and listed here on tripadvisor. Beautiful. Very modern, beautiful aesthetics, and the swim-out suite was breathtaking! However, Royalton had the right concepts, BUT VERY NON-FUNCTIONAL. My TV was not working initially. A technician came immediately and fixed the issue. However, I would suggest the resort to place the exposed flatscreen tv wires behind the wall for a more appealing look. The AIR-CONDITIONING was unacceptable!. My first day or so, it was originally set to be lowered no further than 15 degrees Celsius, which I loved because it is very hot outside and the air condition in my room was so cool and comfortable. By day two or so, the air condition was re-programmed centrally,to not set below 18 degree Celsius. For me, it was uncomfortable at night to sleep at this temperature in beach weather outside. More important, my AC made an ANNOYING ticking sound and would shut-on and off, on and off. It drove me CRAZY when tried to sleep at night. We called guest services, a technician came out and this is how I got the answer that management re-programmed the AC. So as I had it set to the lowest temperature point (18*C), the room temp was still warm and the AC could not produce any cooler. Which meant guest stay warm or hear the noise in room 3214. Still, the bed was cozy and sheet were high quality. The frameless glass shower door did not seal closed at all. Therefore, when we showered, water flooded on the outside a lot. I did not make a big fuss about it because room service was always near to clean it up. (I did ask for another room but no swim-out were available). Third, the sink faucet was too short for the bowl sink and oddly the water didn't reach the bowl. More importantly, I assume because all the water flooding, moisture, and warm temperature, I found MOLD around the door frame in the bathroom. It was UNACCEPTABLE! By the way, the hair blow dryer was missing (requested a new one), and of course there was a mildew smell in the bathroom assuming from the water issues and mold I explained. These are each of my examples as beautiful but everything was hardly functional.
FOOD: In general, the food was not tasty to me and my husband. We basically ate it to live. The best was breakfast at A La carte buffet; ZEN restaurant (you must reserve in advance daily), the Steakhouse, and I loved the coffee shop. You do have an extensive choice of bars, snacks and dinners to choose from. Room service is free. HOWEVER!!!! We got SICK from the food!!! Both me in my husband had stomach aches, cramps, diarrhea, constipation, bloating, fatigue. All the time, triggered after we ate. We initially dealt with it, thinking it was one bad meal, but it was the entire time of our stay. Then it became obvious, when I over heard at least 4 other families complaining of the same symptoms. The last day of my stay July 17th, I was awaiting transportation at the resort and overheard a family reporting to staff near guest check-in desk, that their entire family of 19 was all sick from the food except 1. I was so alarmed, I intervened to confirm to the staff that it was true! Either, its the ice, (DO NOT DRINK THE WATER), cross contamination with food, food prepared and stored at the inadequate temperature, poor education on sanitation, or even the guest could be contributing to food borne illnesses because I saw no hand sanitizers, and everyone run from the restroom, beach, pool, playing sports, right into the buffet to eat! No HANDWASHING! We caught the free transportation to downtown to buy anti-indigestion medicine, because all the Cipro (antibiotic on resort grounds were brought out of stock! It was the worst part of my stay.
STAFF SERVICE: Staff here is EXCELLENT!!! They treat you like royalty of vacation. The do not expect tips, but please do. They are at your every call and need, greeting you happily, with beautiful smile. I really commend them and say, IT WAS THE BEST CUSTOMER SERVICE I HAD EVER EXPERIENCED!
ENTERTAINMENT: There is an agenda with planned shows each night. Not too busy or loud, and not many children are out at night. Even during the daytime, It did not look like Disney World. Yet, there was always some action somewhere.

OVERALL: I think Royalton is one of the best resorts in Dominican Republic Punta Cana area. I visited some other resorts on a bus ride into downtown and most do not compare. However, Royalton owners need to improvise and improve some issues if they really want to be recognized as a 5-star Caribbean resort. Its all in the details! A true Five star hotel would NEVER cut corners on air conditioning, food borne illness, and infrastructure! But if the main issue of food was fixed (dear God, my husband still trying to flush out his system) I would look forward to returning because staff was awesome, the place, beach etc. is beautiful!

Room Tip: Do not book a "BEACHFRONT" room. Its so close to the beach, that you will have no privacy...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
10 Thank Shawntavia M
MauricioZarate, General Manager at Royalton Punta Cana Resort & Casino, responded to this review, 23 October 2014
Dear Shawntavia M.,

It is a big pleasure to read not only your wonderful comments about our facilities, but also for your nice words that you have had about our team. Thank you so much for it and for sharing with another Tripadvisor's users.

Reading your comments help us to know that our decisions are in the good way to give our guests the best possible experience. In the same way, we thank you for the feedback about the things that were not to your standards. We are working in order to improve it and we truly consider all your comments for the next decision on the future.

Royalton Punta Cana & Memories Splash

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,749)
  • Czech first
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Worksop
Reviewed 20 July 2014

The Royalton Punta Cana has given me a massive headache. I've just returned from a 2 week stay at this hotel and, as is my way, I'm immediately looking to book somewhere for next year. Our family rule regarding holidays is never return to the same hotel twice and always aim to find somewhere better the following year. However after a couple of hours scouring the net I think, after 20 years, I'm going to have to break my rule!

We generally holiday once or twice a year, always all inclusive, and have visited Punta Cana twice previously (IB Bavaro & Bahia Príncipe) as well as Aruba, Cuba, Mexico, Jamaica plus many European countries, particularly Turkey (Lara Beach) which has some amazing hotels. Our priorities are a great beach location, plenty of a la cart restaurants and, if possible, an on site water park. Normally we have to compromise on at least one of these requirements but on booking it appeared the Royalton would tick all our boxes and we were not wrong.

We flew with Thomson holidays which meant we got to fly on The Dreamliner which, for families with young children, is absolutely superb. The media system, even in economy, kept my 8 year old lad quiet for 8 hours which, believe me, is a bloody miracle in itself. If Thomas Cook don't want to lose my business forever they need to get their hands in their pockets and get some of these aircraft ASAP!

Although we had already paid for a limited sea view room, before departure I contacted Mayra via FB and requested a top floor room in block 6 with a nice view and she certainly delivered! We got the end room on the 2nd floor (room no 1462) which meant we had a view of the whole resort from the reception area, down past the entertainment stage to the pools and, in the distance, the sea. The room itself was beautifully decorated with a nice big balcony, safe, minibar and a fancy TV with loads of channels (no UK options as usual!) and a few games for the kids. It was cleaned daily and the minibar restocked without issue. Our only issue was the sound proofing which was pretty non existent. We were very lucky that for the vast majority of our stay the room next door was either empty or occupied by a single American lady who only made a noise when opening beer/soft drink cans (yes, you could hear that!) However on the few nights that this room was taken by our ever so quiet and reserved Puerto Rican guests it was a bit of a nightmare (more on them later!)

Restaurant wise we tried every one including those in Memories Splash and never ate dinner in the buffet once. The only a la cart we didn't bother with was ZEN as you had to book and, to be honest, the old 'show cooking' thing loses its magic when you've seen it a few times before. After discussing with my partner and son we all agreed that we couldn't pick a favourite as each were superb in different ways, be it romantic location, varied menu, superb service or very often all of these. Our only poor experience came at the 'under the sea' restaurant but that was down to the other clientele and not the hotels fault (a couple of drunk Puerto Rico pensioners kicking off as they didn't want to wait for a table to become available!)

The pools, if I'm honest, are perhaps the weakest part of this resort. They are simply not big enough (even though there's loads of available space) and by the afternoon are jam packed, particularly the one with the pool bar which also gets very rowdy with guests singing and shouting (not sure what as my Spanish is pretty non existent)... Definitely not our scene! That said we are very much beach people so it didn't impact on our enjoyment too much. No problem getting shade on the beach with the lovely Maria ready to bring you a refreshing cocktail or two. The sea is beautiful and has waves most days which was brilliant. IMO there is absolutely nothing funnier than seeing people getting 'wiped out' by big breakers and being sent rolling up the beach as happened to me and my son several times during our stay. I know I'm a bad person for saying this but it's the truth! If the waves at Royalton were not up to standard you could always walk down to the Hard Rock resort which always seemed to have big waves although they're trying to ruin this by building some sort of artificial reef... Don't mess with nature!

For my son the highlight was the Water Park. I think there were 8 slides in total and the lifeguards on duty were the most professional and safety conscious I've ever come across. Particular thanks to Deiby, Junior and Jose Manuel who really looked after him and seemed truly gutted when he announced he was going home (Not sure how many red heads they come across!) That said the hotel really need to address the slippy areas as we saw numerous people fall over. I don't understand why they can't just put down a few non-slip mats in the most prone areas like they do in other water parks (?)

We were originally due to visit towards the end of May when we normally take our vacation. However this year we had to delay our trip by 6 weeks which meant July. We could not believe how many more guests there were from Puerto Rico at this time of year and, at times, it seemed like they were taking over the resort. I think they must have learned there queuing technique from the Russians but the hotel staff were brilliant in making them wait their turn which seemed to really annoy some of them.

I know it's been said by countless reviewers before me but the staff at this place have been trained to an amazing standard and are head and shoulders above anywhere else we've visited in the past. Always polite, courteous and desperate to make sure that you are having the best time possible. They are a credit to this hotel and should all be given a big raise immediately!

So, am I going to break my rule and return to the same holiday hotel for the first time ever? To be honest there is simply nothing else out there at present which meets all our requirements. So unless there is another new Caribean build on the horizon with the same quality Waterpark, location, restaurants and staff which cost wise doesn't require me to re-mortgage the house then I suspect I will be back next year.... I will just ensure its in May and not July to avoid clashing with the Puerto Rican holiday season!

Room Tip: Block 3 or 6' top floor. 1462 was perfect for us!
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
21 Thank WorksopBlue
MauricioZarate, General Manager at Royalton Punta Cana Resort & Casino, responded to this review, 21 July 2014
Dear WorksopBlue,

On behalf of myself and all the staff of the Royalton Punta Cana, I would like to thank you for having chosen us for your stay in Punta Cana.

Your honest opinion can be an invaluable reference for other customers who are thinking of staying with us, for this reason we really appreciate the time that you have taken for sharing your experience on TripAdvisor

It is truly a pleasure for us to learn that you enjoyed your vacation here in our Hotel, your comment is very important to us to improve and better ourselves.

We hope to see you again.
Kind regards.

Wallington, New Jersey
Reviewed 20 July 2014

Where do I start?! From the moment we arrived till the moment we departed, we had smiles on our faces. The staff was incredible to us! The nicest people I have ever encountered durring my stay at a resort. The rooms were beautiful and they get cleaned twice a day. The only down fall was the faucet sink because it doesn't reach out far over the sink and the water splashes out. Aside from that it was a ten. The security on the beach was fantastic. They made me feel safe durring my stay. I took a night walk on the beach with my boyfriend and a couple we meet durring our stay, and as soon as we stepped foot into the resort the security checked our wristbands to make sure we were from the correct resort. The water park is absolutely fun. Make sure you make your way over to it atleast once! Most importantly don't forget to hit up the sands bar by the beach/pool. They have fun swings to sit on while waiting on a drink and the service was phenominal! Make sure to ask for Felix and Luis. They sure know how to treat customers and they are so so sweet! I had a hard time saying goodbye to them. The food was fine, the hibachi place was incredible. You never went back to the room hungy after it. The only place you need a reservation to is the steak house but it's worth the long wait. I recommend going around six, you have a better chance of getting in. I had left yesterday and woke up this morning upset that I'm not at the resort waking up to go to the beach. I highly recommend this hotel! You won't regret your stay here. I promise you that. This place deserves six stars, not just five!

• Stayed July 2014
4 Thank jmariat
Dear jmariat,

First of all, thank you so much for selecting Royalton Punta Cana for your holidays, it is a big pleasure to read this wonderful opinion about our hotel. And of course, thanks for sharing it on Trip Advisor.

We are very proud to know that your last experience at Royalton Punta Cana exceeded your expectations. As you know our principal goal is to give you our best service, make your vacation exclusive and unforgettable. Your comments will help us with our continuing effort to assure our Guest Satisfaction.

We hope you visit us again next year. We will be very pleased to welcome you.

sussex
Reviewed 19 July 2014

From the moment we set off from Gatwick everything was perfect.The hotel is amazing and the staff from top to bottom are faultless.The food is first class and all of the ammenities are spotlessly clean . Cant fault anything. Highly recommended.We had a butler named Angel who is a real star.Amarilis in the Diamond club beach bar also deserves a mention for the vip treatment we were given.

Room Tip: Choose a swim up room and make sure you upgrade into the diamond club
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
5 Thank mrcomfy
MauricioZarate, General Manager at Royalton Punta Cana Resort & Casino, responded to this review, 20 July 2014
Dear mrcomfy,

Thank you so much for sharing your experience at Royalton Punta Cana not only for your wonderful comments that you have had about our team, but also for taking the time to share your positive experience with the rest of the TripAdvisor community.

We are really glad to hear your comments about the impression of our hotel. Reading your comments help us to know that our decisions are in the good way to give our guests the best possible experience. Your comments about the attitude of the staff will be shared with the objective to motivate to continue with the best quality and guest satisfaction.

We hope you visit us again and of course we will be very pleased to welcome you.
Best greetings,

Melbourne, Florida
Reviewed 19 July 2014

Had a huge family reunion/vacation and everyone was very pleased and happy. Everyone is extremely nice and friendly and hospitable. Willing to customize things to your taste and comfort. In the main eating dinning room, where breakfast, lunch, and dinner is served buffet style, you will not leave completely satisfied because of the huge assortment and quantity of different foods to chose from. All kinds of fresh fruit & veggie juices, smoothies or shakes, like I've never seen before. Our favorite server was Dinoro Lombo with the most charismatic and helpful server you would ever want to meet. Ask for him, he will fulfill all your custom or special orders perfectly and with a huge smile. There were two restaurants that could use a couple of fans, CAVA tapas bar and OPA Mediterranean, they are not air conditioned and would be much more pleasant and enjoyable if it had fans. The food was so delicious we didn't mind a little heat in July. The water park was great for all the kids, teens, and adults to enjoy. Many thrilling slides to choose. There's a train ride to take you to and from the next door hotel restaurants 24/7. There is also a small market place right next to the resort where locals sell popular items. Check duty free store in the hotel before purchasing outside. We found better deals in the hotel for liquor. Everything is included but remember to tip a little, the workers bend over backwards to please you!

Room Tip: Buildings closest to beach are #2, 5, 6. No elevators. Excellent service and spotless rooms. I had...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
5 Thank Cristina N
Dear Cristina N.,

We hope you visit us again next year. We will be very pleased to welcome you.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 July 2014

Me and my best friend stayed from 1/07/14 - 14/07/14 and want to say that all the staff are friendly but the two that stood out for us were Yan Carlos (reception) and Flor (waistress). And want to say thank you to the Thomson Rep Domingo who was helped us and was really funny! I will try and keep this short because some people write essays and there really is no need. A lot of the American's complained about the Puerto Ricans being loud and this and that, but hold on, people are on holiday to have a good time and enjoy themselves. The only thing that annoyed me were the Americans to be quite honest. They were quite rude, arrogant and spoke to staff really abruptly. They even complained about me and my friend playing loud music on the beach?! They were really annoying. The Puerto Ricans were a laugh, at the beach party we met a group of them and had a really good time, they sure know how to have fun.

Back to the resort; it is literally paradise. I could not fault anything wrong with it. The rooms were clean, the food was delicious and the staff are exceptional. Even the housekeeping were amazing always smiling and asking how we were. A few staff do not speak good English but come on you're in their country, you learn Spanish...no? I really did not want to leave the resort, I've been back 3 days and I still have the holiday blues. I will most definitely be returning!

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
7 Thank Remi B
Dear Remi B.,

Firstly, the entire team of Royalton Punta Cana wants to thank you for sharing your positive experience with the rest of the TripAdvisor community.

We are really happy to read words as nice as yours. To know that our staff and service have exceeded your expectations encourages us to keep working day by day to maintain this proposal of high level that we want to achieve.

We will be glad to welcome you back again. We are at your disposal for anything you need.

West Virginia
Reviewed 19 July 2014

We arrived at the Royalton Punta Cana Resort on June 28, 2014, with 4 "mature" adults and a 12-year old. We had all booked this resort in January with Apple Vacations for 7 nights and had paid for 2 one-bedroom Presidential Suites - oceanview - swim-out rooms at the time of booking. We were told we were automatically Diamond Club members for booking the Presidential Suite swimout. When we got there around 2:45 p.m., we found out that booking the Presidential Suites does not automatically make us Diamond Club members....and we were told only one room was ready and it was the room on the 2nd floor. We explained (and showed proof) that we had paid for the presidential suite swim-out rooms and a 2nd floor room was not acceptable. After several hours of trying to deal with this "issue", the other party we were with accepted a luxury swimout room, but it was not the Presidential Suite that they previously paid for. Miguel offered everyone in our party of 5 a Diamond Club membership to make up for the mistake, which was accepted reluctantly due to the fact we should have already been Diamond Club members.

Our room was absolutely perfect. If you can get it, I would highly recommend the Presidential Suite Swim-Out room.....We had some other problems at first (TVs not working for 3 days) and the resort "policy" that only 2 beers can be stocked in the refrigerator per day, which is something I have never heard of since we have stayed at all-inclusive resorts for about 20 years now! We didn't see our butler very often (I won't mention his name) and he was practically impossible to reach on the phone, even though he told us to call him "anytime". Franklin was much more helpful to us than our butler, and he asked us to be sure and ask for him when we come back next year, which we will definitely do.

The beds in this resort were the most amazing beds I've ever slept on. We slept better there than any other resort. We were advised to take our own washcloths, which we did, since washcloths seem to be a rarity.

The food was fantastic, much better than any other all-inclusive where we've stayed before. The bars were great too, although they certainly could use some tips on making a good Bloody Mary! Our favorite was the Italian restaurant - and the service was fantastic.

The beach was the most beautiful beach I've ever been on. Normally, I spend most of my time at the pools when I'm on vacation, but not this year....every one of my 7 days there was spent at the beautiful beach and ocean.

My least favorite bar was the Martini Bar.....no matter how long you waited for a drink, if someone bigger and more aggressive came up to the bar, they always served them first. Finally, my husband and I just walked away after not being served a beer after about 15 minutes of seeing them serve many others who had just walked up to the bar.

Our favorite bar was The Sands.....it was nice and relaxing and we enjoyed the swings at the bar....however, there were not enough bar stools and we ended up standing quite a bit.

Our biggest mistake of the vacation was trying "Under The Sea" at Memories. We were told it would be about a 45 minute wait, which we reluctantly agreed to, so we waited, and waited, and waited. When we finally gave up and were walking up to turn in our "buzzer" we were given to keep to show our table was ready, it went off. It took us 2 1/2 hrs. to finally get a table and although the food was decent, it was absolutely not worth the wait.

I did take a day and go to the waterpark at Memories with my granddaughter, which she absolutely loved....so if you have children, be sure and enjoy the waterpark. The tram goes by often and you can enjoy the beautiful peacocks during the ride.

All in all, this was the best all-inclusive vacation I have ever had. We ended up buying a "membership" (which is kind of like a timeshare) because we liked the resort so much. The people are very friendly and even though some of them don't speak much English, a smile goes a long way. We will definitely be back, and we will definitely book the one bedroom Presidential swim-out suite again.....just hopefully, we will get what we pay for!

Room Tip: Book a swim-out room! You won't regret it!
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
5 Thank Cancun26508
Dear Cancun26508,

First of all we would like to thank you for giving us the esteemed opportunity of serving you during your stay in Royalton Punta Cana and for sharing your impressions on TripAdvisor Web Site.

We would like to express our gratitude for your comments. In the same way, we want to thank you for your feedback so, as you know, we believe it is only through listening carefully to the criticism comments and suggestions of our customers, we will be able to achieve the constant improvement, guest satisfaction and quality service that we want.

All your comments we will be carefully analyzed to take the appropriate corrective actions in each case. Thank you very much again for your good comments. Certainly, we expect to receive you again as soon as possible.

Kind Regards.

Alsol Luxury Village
Alsol Luxury Village
#88 of 111 in Punta Cana
Grand Palladium Bavaro Suites Resort & Spa

Been to Royalton Punta Cana Resort & Casino? Share your experiences!